Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Legacy Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• rudi2rudi2 Posts: 17
    there does not appear to be much of a price difference on a new 2007 legacy se and 2008 legacy se...on the 2007, I got a price of $20,500 plus tax and mv charges and on the 2008 a price of $21,500.Shouldn't there be more of a price differential between these?There's a $500 rebate on the 2008 and $1000 on the 2007.What do you think a good price on the 2007 should be?Is it worth buying the 2007 if it's only $1000-1500 cheaper than the 2008?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Get the 08, then. Resale will be better later and you get the nicer looking front fascia.
  • jeffmcjeffmc Posts: 1,742
    Those are both great prices. I'm surprised there's a rebate on the '08 already. I don't think there is in my region. Subaru kept prices for the '08s essentially the same ($20 increase on the SE, I think), so the difference in price you're seeing ($1000) between the '07 & '08 comes down to difference in rebates and difference in factory-to-dealer incentives. On the '07, you're getting $1000 rebate plus $1000 of the dealer's incentive. On the '08, it's $500 rebate and apparently about $500 of the dealer's incentive.

Like juice said, it's probably worth it to go for the '08, if the extra $1000 is in your budget. If it's a close call for you, you may want to wait 'til July 1 to see if the rebate increases then on the '07s.

Similarly, several times I've looked for slightly used Subarus, and the resale is so high that I can get nearly as good of a deal on brand new ones, so I've gone brand new. Both of the prices you're offered are about as low as you can get, so you're getting a great deal whichever way you choose to go. :shades:

Other than the subtle exterior changes (grille, taillights, etc), and a few minor interior tweaks (new warm ivory cloth color, etc) the '08 has a couple things the '07 doesn't: tire pressure monitoring system, key and remote integrated into one piece, and telescoping steering wheel.
  • The July rebate is currently $1000 for the 2007 AND 2008 model Legacy 2.5i. This seems strange. Does anyone know if the '07 will get a bigger rebate in August? I want the wagon (discontinued for 2008) so an '07 is my only option.

Should I hold my breath?
    Tough call. No one here really knows what the rebates will be 'til they're announced. Have you found the '07 you want? The supply of '07s is starting to dwindle... the car you want would probably still be in stock Aug. 1, but obviously no guarantees there.

You could try negotiating your best deal with your dealer now, then ask if they'd "hold" the vehicle for you (with a deposit as "earnest money") 'til the August rebates come out... and clarify that you'd receive any increased rebate. Unless they're really close to meeting a month-end quota, it'd be no skin off their teeth to wait a couple days, since you'd be buying the vehicle either way. Worth a shot. *shrug* ;)
  • I'm still seeing large numbers of '07s in dealer inventories in my area. Will wait for Aug rebates.
    Yup, if there are plenty around, no reason not to wait. Looking online, I only saw 2 wagons in three large dealerships' inventory around here.
    I have a problem which I'm hoping someone can give me some advice on. I negotiated a price on a 2008 SE automatic of $20,100 plus 7% state tax and mv fees which seems to be pretty good,but it will be stretching my budget. The dealer has in stock a 2006 SE with 13,000 miles that still has almost 2 years warranty left on it. He is asking $17,995(which seems a bit high to me since it is technically a "2 year old car"now that the 2008s are out. Would I lose less depreciation on the 2006 if I paid $17995 plus sales tax and mv fees?or is the 2008 a better deal?will I stand to get the $2250(including tax back)on resale of the 2008?I plan on keeping the car at least 4 years. Your insight and advice is really appreciated.I have to make a decision on the 2008 by tomorrow(7/31)because that's when the rebate expires. Anyone know if there will be a rebate on the 2008s in August?
    I forgot to mention,this was a leased car with 13,000 miles purchased 13 months ago...the dealer wants $18,000 plus tax and mv fees...is this a fair price?
    Tough call. If you sell it in 4 years you probably will get the $2 grand back, right about that much, so in that case I would pick the 2008.

If you keep it longer, the 2006 might be a better value. After 7-8 years or so, the difference in resale will be smaller.

Do you like the 08 styling better? Or worse? If you can find something you like more on the newer ones, spring for the extra amount. You get the full warranty and those extras.

$18k is a fair deal, but not great. Offer $17k on it, see what they do.
    I would be 95% certain the rebate will continue in August, or perhaps grow. Rarely does Subaru drop a rebate once it's introduced it.

Keep in mind that from the '06 to the '08, Subaru added quite a few features: fold-down rear seats with an armrest (GREATLY expands the utility of the sedan!), auxiliary input for iPods or other portable players, MP3-reading capability to the CD player, pre-wiring for remote engine start and satellite radio, telescoping steering wheel, tire pressure monitoring system, integrated key and remote, plus the redesigned front & rear.

For all those goodies, plus the extra resale, two more years of bumper-to-bumper warranty and roadside assistance, and the opportunity to break in the engine myself, plus the feel (& smell!) of owning brand-new vs. nearly new, the '08 would be worth the extra cost to me.

p.s. I have an '06 SE sedan and it's a great car!.
  • rallyfanrallyfan Posts: 36
    I WAS QUOTE APPR.19900 FOR A NEW 07 LEGACY WAGON SE THE FUNNY THING IT IS A 5SPD MANUAL AND I AS TOLD THAT THE WAGON BASE ONLY CAME IN AUTO AND THOUGHTS OR COMMENTS WOULD BE APPRECIATED
    SE is not the base model. SE is automatic only. The base model is manual only. Be sure which you're getting a quote for. That's a great price for an SE, but you should be able to get at least another $1000 off for a base model. With the current $1000 rebate, you should be shooting for about $2000 below invoice on a 2007. You can see the pricing levels here (including invoice for each model):
    http://www.cars101.com/subaru/legacy/legacy2007.html#price

And farther up that page, you can see the difference between an SE and a base model (scroll down after reading the standard equipment on the base model and you'll find what the SE trim adds):
    http://www.cars101.com/subaru/legacy/legacy2007.html#2.5i

The base model is actually pretty rare. Subaru manufacturered very few, opting to push people toward the SE level. Many people consider the SE to be the base model, since Subaru built so few of the actual base 2.5i vehicles. If you're looking for a manual Legacy wagon at a low price, base is the model to go for if you can find it.
    I am considering purchasing a 2008 Legacy se automatic...one of the cars I am looking at has PZEV and the other does not.For a car with this option(PZEV)will gas mileage improve or be unaffected?what is a realistic averagecity/highway driving gas mileage if doing 70percent highway and 30percent city.Thank you for your advice.
    What's the opinion of the forum readers on spoilers...do they add or detract from the car?is it a negative on resale(because not everyone likes them)?since the car is a conservative design,does a spoiler belong on it or does it look like you're trying to turn a sedan into a sports car?I'm trying to decide between a 2008 with a spoiler and one without. Your views are appreciated.
    I believe the MPG is the same for the PZEV vehicles. We average about 26-27 MPG overall in similar conditions to yours - about 70% highway, 30% city - with our '06 Legacy SE automatic. Our highway mileage has been better than expected... in fact, just yesterday I drove from Seattle to the Portland area and achieved about 35MPG using cruise control and going 65-75 (depending on the local limits). Obviously, your mileage may vary, but good economy is possible.

Spoiler? Really comes down to your personal preference. We don't have one on ours, but I think it looks fine on the car. (Personally, I'd prefer a spoiler if I had a turbo model, but no biggie either way to me.) As far as resale goes, I think you're just as likely to find folks who'll prefer a spoiler as folks who don't.
    THank you for your email...do you have a PZEC vehicle?That highway mileage is really great.
    PZEV gives up I think 5hp, probably not noticeable, and has the same fuel economy ratings.

Forget all that, though, what matters is that because it's a PZEV the emissions warranty is MUCH longer, I think all that stuff is covered for 100k miles. I'm talking the cat and all the expensive emissions stuff.

That's worth getting a PZEV for all by itself.
    Ours is not PZEV, but the next one will be. :) As more states are adopting those requirements, PZEVs are easier to get now.

We were pleased when we first achieved over the 30MPG hwy rating on our Legacy. We've noticed a small bump (1-2 MPG increase) as the engine has become "broken in" (15,000-19,000 miles), and this seems to be fairly common. If you drive in a gentle manner, I think it's possible to get good mileage. Of course, whenever we drive a bit more aggressively (say, stomping it on the freeway onramp), the MPG goes down.
    If PZEV models are offered in MD we'd get one, too. In fact I hope the 2009 Forester comes with a PZEV powertrain.