Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Legacy Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• pilot1226pilot1226 Posts: 165
    I've heard on other forums that the head unit is linked to the speakers, so if you want to replace the head unit then you have to replace the speakers and vice-versa. I'll hunt down a link to get you a source.
  • If you go here -- http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php? -- and do a search, you'll find plenty of threads on speaker and head unit replacement. I believe you can replace the speakers and they'll work with the existing head unit. People on the Legacy forum say they've done it. I've read you can't replace the head unit with an aftermarket model because the unit is integrated with the automatic climate control. Given the the '09 model is not redesigned and is essentially an upgraded '08, it may be possible to swap out the existing stereo equipment with the new Harmon Kardon stuff. However, I'm not sure how much that would eat into the $2400 price difference between the '08 and '09 that's been discussed on here.
  • jae_hungjae_hung Posts: 2
    Thank you in advance for all the info and help I could get from all of you.

Currently I am in the process of negotiating for my very first new car. I am eyeing on a Quartz Silver 08 Legacy Limited w/ VDC, MSRP $25,784. So far my best quotation from dealers is $22,695 (tax&license no included). I wonder how far more can they go for. Also, I will be financing for the car at 60 months term. Currently I am getting quote for 3.9% interest. Is this something that's negotiable? Are they willing to go down to 2.9%?

Please kindly let me know what you think as I am ready to go back and make the final decision. Just do not want to lose a couple hundred dollars because I didn't do research well enough! :P

Thank you! Hoping to get some answers going!
  • I checked Fitzgerald Auto Mall in Maryland, which usually has the lowest published prices, and they have an '08 Limited listing at $25,500 MSRP and selling for $22,000, but they don't mention that any financing is included. Given that your car has a higher sticker price and you're also getting 3.9% financing for 60 months, it sounds like a good deal to me. However, I know the car buying environment has changed dramatically in the last few months so maybe there's more room to negotiate. I got my Limited in January for $22,900 (MSRP $25,400+) in NY, paid cash, and got a very fair trade-in price for my SUV (at a time when gas prices were much lower). See if they'll go to 2.9%, but I bet they feel they've hit rock bottom. Another possibility is to ask them to throw in an additional accessory or two.
  • jae_hungjae_hung Posts: 2
    I appreciate your feedback, Longislander! Your advise on this discussion was very helpful, especially during price negotiation!
    I just had some final negotiatoin with the dealer; Finally knocked off a couple hundred bucks and got a final quote at $22,200 (tax & license not included). These seemed like the lowest they can go. So I have asked them to throw in a All-Weather Floormat, and a free cap :)

So here is what I will be getting:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----
    MSRP: $25,784
    Final Quote: $22,220 (tax & license not included)
    Finance Interest (60 month): 3.9%
    Subaru Legacy Limited w/VDC
    Quartz Silver
    Arm Rest Extension
    Auto Dimming Mirror/Compass
    All Weather Floor Mats
    A cap (yes, they threw in a cap, which is something you wear on your head :p )

Please let me know what you think about the price. If everything goes well, I will be on my way to dealership tomorrow and sign some papers!

Regards,
    Jae
    Sounds pretty good! The floor mats are usually "sticker priced" between 50-100 dollars, and honestly the difference between 3.9 and 2.9 is only a few dollars a month. While this does add up over the 60 month life of the loan, you have to keep in mind:

You can get around 3% - maybe higher using online savings accounts like ING. CD's, while somewhat inflexible with taking the money out, could put you above 4% APR interest.

I'm in a similar situation - going to talk final numbers with a dealer Tuesday about the `09 2.5i SE. I plan on putting just a little bit down - which will depend on the interest rate they offer me for financing - and the remainder will go into a 4 separate CD accounts.

1st for months 13-24
    2nd for months 25-36
    3rd for 37-48
    4th for 49-60th.

As these CD's mature, I imagine I will lock the remaining 3 in for another year.

It's a pain in the butt, but with CD's you generally get higher interest rates anyway so if you're got the money to stash away you can actually make the interest you're paying in a bank.
    Looking at the 09 Legacy 2.5i SE Automatic PZEV.

Quoted $21,855 (+tax, title, docs) at Wayne Subaru in Wayne, NJ. This sound like a good price? I'm not crazy about financing, was told the best they can do is 4.9% APR. I'd rather just pay it off in full immediately.

Subaru's color selections are dreadful. Black is the best "color" they have, haha!

Other question is what size tires does the Subaru take? There's another dealer nearby (Bloomfield) that offers free tires for life.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Subaru's color selections are dreadful

Typically you can choose from White, Black, and 3 shades of gray/silver inbetween.

True for the Forester, at least. Even the blue is silver-ish, and the green is a bit, too.

Free tires sounds good if you keep your cars for a long time.
    Yeah, I'm just not a fan of the colors. I mean, sure, I love the Obsidian Black Pearl, but there's nothing that catches my eye.

There's a single shade of blue available for all the 2009's - and it's a bright blue. Where's the navy? The dark greens? The deep red/maroons?

Seems like they ditched the old colors I see on Outbacks from earlier this decade in favor of bland shades.
    Forester has a nice red, but that attracts cops so we ruled it out.

The black shows scratches.

The gray is too dark, it's almost black.

The green is a bit light, more a greenish-silver shade.

The blue is nice - we bought that.

But yeah, no Rally Blue, no deep green, no real flashy colors.
    Biggest thing I'm fighting with now is to find out how much dealer holdback is typically for the Legacy Line.

I wasn't very impressed with the fact that almost as soon as I was in the dealership, they offered invoice pricing almost immediately. This makes me think that they're hiding something.

Granted, I know invoice pricing is so ubiquitous now, I'm sure dealers have rethought their "game" to keep afloat.

So, that being said, anyone know what holdback is typically like for a Subaru?
    I thought it was something like 2%? IIRC...

Even on a $20k car that's only about $400, so not too much wiggle room below invoice.
  • Make sure they're including the cash back in their "invoice" price and as I've said before, check out pricing on fitzmall.com (no affiliation with them), which seems to have the lowest published figures of any dealer I've seen. When I bought my Legacy in January, no salesperson would give up any of the holdback. Times are tougher now.
  • Congrats! That sounds like a great deal, about $750 less than I paid for a cash deal. Good luck. You'll find it's a great car for the money.
  • I know they're 17" but I don't have time at the moment to go out and check the exact size. It's probably listed on the specs at subaru.com. The standard Yokohama Advans are $150 tires, so make sure the dealer offer doesn't include Brand X replacements worth a fraction of the price. Also, I believe these tires have pretty good treadwear, so you may only get one free set within the first 100,000 miles. It might be better to swap the tire deal for more cash back up front.

Some people don't like the Yokos, but I think they're fine. I also think it's pretty impressive for Subaru to include such a pricey tire as standard equipment -- another sign of the car's bang for the buck.
    Well, there's really no cash back as of yet for the `09's because they are still peddling the `08's. I'll make sure they're including all the numbers.

They've itemized Doc fees, titling fees, registration fees, etc. Kind of a nice breath of fresh air to get honesty from a car salesman.
  • I live in South NJ
    what's the good price on a 08 or 09 on a 3.0R?
    MSRP is like $32000G
    with that price I rather just get a Infiniti!
  • ahqahq Posts: 37
    How much does a G35x go for these days? (G35x AWD, not G35 RWD.) I was looking around a local Subaru lot a week and a half ago... they had a 2008 3.0R Limited for around $29,500, I believe.
    Edmunds' has the sticker price of the G35x with the Premium Package (sunroof, power seats, etc etc) for just above 38,000 with TMV around 34,500. That's about 5,000 more than the 3.0R.

I don't know. Don't discount the Turbocharged Legacy 2.5 Spec B too, it's very comparable in terms of horsepower it seems.
  • Hi,
    Just wanted to post my numbers as this forum has been helpful to me in the past.

2008 Legacy GT Limited VDC Auto
    - Homelink Mirror
    - All weather mats
    - Wheel Locks
    $ 26,500 Out the Door.

Thanks!