Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Legacy Prices Paid and Buying Experience

1282930313234»

Comments

• adwadadwad Posts: 1
    here are my thoughts:

I just went through a very similar scenario. I wanted a great deal on a Legacy Limited (preferably a 2013) but was pretty particular on options. Wanting the 6-cylinder model was probably the factor the affected things the most...there are not a lot of 6-cylinder Legacy models out there, which perplexes me a bit since they really make a difference here in the mountains of Colorado.

Anyway, I ended up buying a Legacy from a dealer out of state...Albuquerque, to be exact (I'm in Denver). What I did was get several email offers from various dealers (both in and out of state). I got offers for some Legacy models that I didn't necessarily want, but gave me a %-off-MSRP to use for negotiating. Once I found the car in Albuquerque that had all the options I wanted, I asked them for an offer, I then made a counter offer based on the other offers I received. Was able to to get a $31600 MSRP car for $27900 which is not bad.

My question is...how hard would it be for you to travel to get that car? 200 Miles (in my opinion) is not a very far distance to travel to get a car, especially if you really like it. As the other poster mentioned, the taxes are not hard at all...they'll just plug in your home state taxes and send all the info to your home state DMV where you will go and register your vehicle (they'll give you a temp tag for the interim period).

Having a car to trade in can complicate things because the dealer probably won't be able to guarantee a price for your trade until they actually see/drive it in person. I also had a trade-in and just decided to sell it privately. Otherwise, given the distance you have to travel (assuming you travel alone in the trade-in to get the new car), you are forced to accept whatever price they offer.

One last note...I live in Colorado, which is the #1 Subaru market. Therefore, dealers here do not need to negotiate much (if at all) to sell cars here. If you also live in Colorado (or probably Utah as well), a local dealer probably won't be too keen on going through the process of getting a car from out of state AND also giving you a great deal. Might be worth the bit of extra effort to do some of it yourself. It definitely was for me. I love my new Legacy!

In any event, good luck!
  • Just curious,

I'm in the market for a used Legacy and a dealer near me (around Pittsburgh, PA) has a 2013 Legacy 2.5i Premium with just over 5,000 miles on it (likely a sales man's old car or they bought it from corporate) for $20,987 sticker. This car has the CVT trans, cold weather pkg, bluetooth, power drivers seat (manual passeneger), cloth interior, no sunroof Obviously, this can come down with some negotiating, but I was just curious what everyone thinks of this deal...good or just ok? Please let me know as I am looking to buy before the end of the year.

Thanks!

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,616

Please help launch our new Facebook tab and be one of the first to share your car shopping experience.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.