Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Legacy Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Alright a follow up. I ended up not using my VIP Price. I did not want to name dealerships initially but I will now that I have my car purchased.

I went to Carr Subaru first in Oregon who quoted me for a limited model $25,800 VIP price. Which was higher than others.

Wentworth quoted me $25,400 for a limited model with no moon roof VIP price. But they had two Limited models with a moonroof for $25,075 in twilight blue and $25,575 in ice silver on sale. I wanted the silver but for the price of the twilight blue. He said no and it was a price error but he'll have to give it to me (blue one)mfor that price. Which is [non-permissible content removed] because they've had it posted at that price for two weeks and when I came back 5 days later. Which when I went back later I asked for a printed invoice price for the VIP and non VIP prices. He never gave it to me and I was not gonna keep asking after asking twice for it. Anyways I got tired of car shopping honestly so I thought I would just pay the $500 extra for the silver one, made an appointment to go in Saturday to buy it. Until....

Capitol Subaru offered me a better price ($219 cheaper) in the color I wanted, ice silver. I also saved $100 fees not buying in Portland and in Salem. So I ended up paying $25,356 + Fees for my 2013 Legacy Limited w/moonroof. I did not use the VIP because well it's December and they wanted to get rid of as many cars as possible. The salesman was incredibly honest with me and extremely helpful. Eric was the guy who helped us and I'd recommend him to anyone shopping around the area. My aunt who was there almost bought a car herself if she had not just bought a rav4 the month prior. Anyways I got 72 month at 2.9% financing ^_^
  • bear57bear57 Posts: 2
    edited January 2013
    Just a word about Fitzgerald Subaru in Gaithersburg MD. I have dealt with businesses that lack integrity, but in my experience with Fitzgerald they win the sleazy dealer award. After several calls and emails negotiating the price of a car, they hit me with a "Processing fee" of $199, a "Tag and title fee" of $732.56 and a "tax" of $186. As I do not live in Maryland, there was no tax on the vehicle. They then told me that "all dealers must charge a tax and title fee by law." That is pure BS. It became apparent that their price advantage of $300 was actually a price of more than $800 over the best offer. If you look at the positive posts about Fitzgerald, they all use similar language (e.g., "rock bottom price") which makes me believe they are planted messages.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    The $199 fee is mentioned up front on their web site, FWIW.

We are in state but had a better experience at their White Flint store. My dad and sister also bought cars from them with no complaints.
  • dasanii19dasanii19 Posts: 28
    edited January 2013
    Hey guys, just wanted to know how I did? I purchased on 12-31-12 a 2013 Subaru Legacy premium all weather which options include... Spoiler,compass/auto dim/home link rear view mirror, splash gaurds, trunk cargo net, cargo tray, windshield wiper de-icer, heated seats, exterior heated mirrors, for 21,400 which included all fees and docs from dealer, (tax is $1600) out the door price with tax was $23,000. The dealer also included all weather floor Mats as well. What kind of deal did I get? He told me that was rock bottom and the lowest he could go. The MSRP sticker price was $25,143. Thanks guys!! Would love to hear your thoughts! Happy New Years
  • eth2eth2 Posts: 2
    edited January 2013
    I bought a 2013 Legacy Premium with the all weather package, mud flaps, trunk cargo caddy, all weather mats, for $21,200 at Van Bortel Subaru in Rochester, NY. They have a $1,000 below dealer price until January 2, 2013. I had a bit of trouble with my trade in, but the owner took over from the used car manager (who cost them my business last year), and I think I got an acceptable trade-in. As another poster commented, I used Fitzgerald Subaru as a comparitor but also found at the last minute that they are not straight with buyers (an $800 tax and tile fee at the very last second was added). This is the second vehicle I bought from Van Bortel and I like them very much. Their service department is excellent and they make it almost fun to go in for service.
  • Nice, what was the msrp window sticker? So the 21200 price was actually $22,000?
  • eth2eth2 Posts: 2
    The MSRP was $24,235. The purchase price w/o tax was $21,200
    Sweet deal, congrats.
  • bear57bear57 Posts: 2
    I am sorry, the price was $22,200 (not $21,200) which was $1,000 below dealer invoice.
  • Hey guys, just wanted to know how I did? I purchased on 12-31-12 a 2013 Subaru Legacy premium all weather which options include... Spoiler,compass/auto dim/home link rear view mirror, splash gaurds, trunk cargo net, cargo tray, windshield wiper de-icer, heated seats, exterior heated mirrors, for 21,400 which included all fees and docs from dealer, (tax is $1600) out the door price with tax was $23,000. The dealer also included all weather floor Mats as well. What kind of deal did I get? He told me that was rock bottom and the lowest he could go. The MSRP sticker price was $25,143. Thanks guys!! Would love to hear your thoughts! Happy New Years
    Congrats! Sounds good to me. That's a lot of car for $23k, I'm surprised it's not an Impreza!
  • Is 24.5K a good deal for a Legacy 2.5 Premium with all-weather package, which includes heated seats, and a sunroof? This price includes all dealer fees and vehicle taxes. This is the best price I could find in the Boston area. Should I keep looking?

Thanks!
    Hmm, Fitzmall doesn't have any with the sunroof. They're aruond $23k, but add a grand for the moonroof. That includes freight, but not taxes (I'm not sure how much that is in Mass.)

Just for reference.

Also check TrueCar.com, you can see what others are paying.

I think if you're including taxes, that does seem like a deal.
  • We need to know the MSRP sticker price and your out the door price to know if that's a good deal or not
  • luvmy2gsluvmy2gs Posts: 2
    HI all, I've been doing sooo much research as we are getting ready to purchase our 1st Subaru Legacy. Specifically, I'm looking at the 2013 2.5i base model. My best out the door price is $20,500. That includes everything (VA taxes, title, and dealer fees). I feel like this is about the best I will do. Others who have a 2013 basic....is this a good deal. The MSRP is: 22,405 and remember the $20,500 is out the door. I think I should pull the trigger. Thoughts? Affirmations?
    That sounds great, that includes taxes and all? You usually only get 10% but then have to add tax, tags, and freight back.
  • luvmy2gsluvmy2gs Posts: 2
    Ateixeira,
    It does include taxes and all. I do have it in writing to confirm it is taxes, title, and dealer fees. This dealer is about 1.5 hours away. While I am willing to travel, I do hope to get my local dealer to beat, or the very least, match this price. Sounds like this is a good price.
  • cathyv1cathyv1 Posts: 4
    Does anyone know is Subaru still doing the VIP discount and if so did anyone recently get the advertised 2% below invoice they say you get? Thanks
  • msmbmsmb Posts: 41
    I am looking to buy a 2003 Legacy L with standard trans. The car only has 68000 miles on it and the price seemed to be right, around $6750 from an apparently reliable private party. But when we took it in to the dealer for inspection it turned out that there is a problem with the head. Not sure if there was also a leak or if that is related to the head. Estimated cost for repair, including the timing belt (which the owner says he just recently replaced, so I expect the part can be reused) is $2500. Dealer said that he was figuring conservatively, that was probably at the high end of possibilities. Present owner said he would cover cost of repair from the dealer. Since I am not familiar with Subarus I am seeking advice. Does the repair that needs to be done suggest this is a risky car (a headache waiting to happen); and is $6750 minus the cost of repairs ($4250 if the repair costs $2500) a decent deal? do you think that I will be able to trust this car to 200,000 miles if the repair is done well and it is maintianed properly? What i need is highly serviceable and relative headache free trasnportation.
  • Haha. Welcome to the Subaru brand. You have just discovered the most important thing you need to know about Subaru engines: they suffer from severe head gasket issues.

Here is a cute experiment for you. Google, oh, "Honda head gasket". Note the search results. Now google "Subaru head gasket".

Oh the horror! I know it's difficult, but pay close attention to the personal accounts of leaking head gaskets! But wait - isn't Subaru supposed to be as reliable as Honda?

Are leaking head gaskets the only reliability issue? No. Google also, oh, "Subaru wheel bearing". Yeppers.

Let me tell you about my 2007 Subaru Legacy 2.5 Special Edition - the car the sales folks swore in 2006 would outlast any Honda.

At 135K miles, that car developed a leaking head gasket. Didn't quite have the funds ($2K) to fix it. Now the engine is dead.

...Then there are the three wheel bearings I had to replace during the life of that car. Was it just how I drove? Hm. I am quite the careful driver, but don't believe me. How many hundreds of complaints can you find in your Google searches of "Subaru head gasket" and "Subaru wheel bearing"?

The car does drive very nice for an affordable midsize sedan. In the winter, it is golden. But, unless you have patience, time and money to sink into this piece of metal, you might want to consider other brands too. And the 2003 model is smack in the middle of Subaru's reliability issues - that's why that car is selling for so little!

Just know that you are buying trouble. Fun trouble, but trouble nonetheless.