Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Outback Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• bob_b1bob_b1 Posts: 29
    Hello Just looking what other have paid for Outback Premium?
    Please list the MSRP and the price you have negotiated.
    I have been looking and getting some quotes but wanted to see what other have experienced.
    My best price for Outback Premium (AWP) was MSRP:$26990 price offered was $25300 plus all the fees and taxes.
    Thanks
  • stoopystoopy Posts: 105
    My best quote thus far was on a Premium with All Weather Package plus a couple of other options, MSRP $27,039. Sale price $24,556.
  • I am in the midst of dealing for a 2009 2.5 i with Nav. Outback with 11,500 miles-dealer internet price is just under $20,000-I want to negotiate for a lower price-I would be happy with OTD for 20,000. I like the car and like the color-but can wait...seems that the inventory in my area for NEW 2009 Outbacks is scarce-NE PA. I have to drive 2 hours for this car with my wife and daughter in the car-already gave $500 to hold the car til I come this weekend. Called my local Subaru dealer and will talk with them tomorrow about if they can deal, but they have no 2009 in inventory. Will I be better off waiting until December-January? Any advice out there?
  • morin2morin2 Posts: 399
    I don't think you'll be any better off waiting until December-Jan. Fall-winter is when demand for AWD peaks. That would be an excellent time to buy a Miata, however.

The time to pick from a large selection of new 09's was this spring before the clunkers bill. Hindsight is 20/20 & you can't change that.

Is this a CPO car? If you like it, make your best deal. It doesn't help you being so far from the dealer because he will know that its more difficult for you to walk away - the very best negotiating strategy. Find out why its for sale after only 11K miles (I have 14K on mine bought new in March) and walk if its been in a wreck.
    jpievans can you please provide dealer's name. The price sounds reasonable so just wanted to see what there is anything for me.
    Thanks
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I doubt they'll budget much off the internet price.
  • jeffm5jeffm5 Posts: 106
    Greetings from Pittsburgh, home of the Super Bowl & Stanley Cup champs & the Pitiful Pirates. 3 days ago I pulled the trigger on a 4 cyl. 2010 OB Limited, Sky Blue, loaded (NAV, backup cam). I traded an 04 Forester, 76,000 miles, good condition. My OTD price is $24,500, $30,260 for the OB, $7,500 on the trade, the remainder taxes & fees of $145. I take delivery on 10/27. What do you think? If I got hosed, let me know, won't be the first time & won't hurt my feelings. A comparably equipped 4 cyl. Venza was $2,300 more. BTW, I'll be posting my initial impressions of the car in a couple weeks.
  • Good luck. Did you order or buy off inventory? What was the bottom line MSRP on the car incl delivery? The 30,200 should be close to invoice. I'm looking at something like that myself fully loaded w nav and would be interested in your perceptions.

Also considered the Venza. I Iike the Subaru better.

I've usually sold my cars outright and do pretty well instead of trading. This time I will probably go the trade route and save the tax differential, the headache of selling and hassle of courtesy trade. I would think 2004 Forester should go for 8-9K private sale pretty quickly. Check Edmunds and KBB if you haven't.
  • Any thoughts on a good starting offer for a 2010 2.5i Outback Ltd. in the southeast PA area? From what I've read here it's not unreasonable to get the car for close to invoice.

Thanks!

Jeff
  • morin2morin2 Posts: 399
    My opinion - the Pirates are no more pitiful than our local teams - the Nationals and Orioles - yikes.

Oh, opinions on the car deal? Sounds like you did fine. Edmunds trade-in value for the Forester was 7770 if in "clean" condition (second highest condition), less in "average" condition, and the base "X" model. Trading in saved you sales tax on the 7500, so you would have had to sell privately for 7500 + the sales tax just to be the same as this deal. And good luck finding anyone who can actually pay for something today. I used to sell privately, but lately, have been trading in as well.

Do post your reviews. Good luck!
    I was looking at the same car.
    This was the offer I got
    MSRP: $24,690. Offered at $22,890 (destination included)
    So not sure it this helps but this should be the maximum you should pay for Outback 2.5i plus Title tax and other documentation feed.
  • supermsuperm Posts: 16
    I think you'll find this is for the base model stripper w/nothing but the CVT.
    Your are right, this is for the Subaru Outbac 2.5 CVT transmission.Standard equipment no extras.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    You did $2300 better than the Venza and CR agrees the OB is better, even 4 banger vs. V6. Check the current issue - the Subie outscores the Toyota and is more reliable to boot.

Congrats.
  • Hi, Bob,

I am about to buy the same one as yours, 2010 Outback 2.5i, no extra.
    You mind tell me which dealer you got the price from? I am in bay area, and the best price I can get is 23480 + TTL. Thank you.
    I almost bought a new car ; Outback Premium CVT transmission (with no addition options) Silver on black today, but due to my financial situation have to wait until next month (some of my found were not available) . But just wanted to share this quote with you and see if this is a good price.
    Dealer in NW suburb of Chicago.
    MSRP $25990
    Dealer's price today:------------------------------- $23750 plus
    Documentation --------- --------------------- $ 151.00
    Electronic registration--- -------------------------$25.00
    Taxes-----7.75% Cook County-------- -----$1,854.26
    Transfer plates-------------------------- -----------$150.00
    TOTAL OTD PRICE ****** $ 25930 ****
  • Thank you so much for your detailed information.
    Man, Outback is becoming more and more popular in Bay area. Probably cannot get such decent deal like in Chicago. sigh.....
    surrfurton, I'll be taking delivery tonight. They found exactly what we wanted in Ohio. Tomorrow I'll post what I paid.
    Just took delivery of a Limited, 4 cyl. Sky Blue Metallic with moonroof, NAV, backup cam, auto dim mirror with homelink, rear cargo net, all weather floor mats, rear bumper cover. MSRP - $32,157. I got it for $30,263. I traded an 04 Forester X, auto, no upgrades. I got $7,500 for it. I paid about $1,600 in sales tax & about $140 in dealer fees. My OTD price was $24,500. Hope this helps. I'll be posting my opinion of the car in about 2 weeks, but I'm not sure what thread to post it on. Any thoughts?
  • 204meca204meca Posts: 366
    Three years ago I got a used 03 Forester based on the general reputation of the ability to go anywhere reasonable, reliablity, relatively low fuel consumption for AWD, cargo capacity, towing capacity (have a 16.5 Fish N Ski boat) & sporty handling. My experience over the last 3 years made me a real Subbie Fan. Subies are a relatively small car that does all things reasonably well & there is nothing out there that can match the versatiily, economy, & fun to drive factor

Not much has challenged Subuar reputation in all the above areas. So other than another Forester I did not consider anything else seriously.

I briefly considered an A4 Avant coming from a satisfying A4 experience Interior a little too small, too expensive & couldn't see taking it down dirt roads or towing my boat with it.

My son recently got a VW Tigean. I drove from San Diego to Seattle in it with him. Nice car, comfortable, good power & handlng, but cargo area pitifully small, can't get over 25 mpg, & too pricey for Dad.

A year ago, I thought a 2010 Forester was a slam dunk for our next car. Then came the 2010 Outback & I had to reconsider. I did also considered waiting for a Diesel version, but decided that since we ony drive about 15,000 mile per year & will probably sell after 7 years that the gas version would be fine for us -- plus I was not willing to wait 6-12 months on the chance that we might get the diesel in the US.

I have been spending way too much time on this forum & subaruoutback.org since June reading about the Outback & have driven it twice. We recently spent a week new Forester rental car around Yosemite & Mammoth. It was comfortable and performed well on the highways (a bit too much shifting on the high passes) and on some snow covered trails. We could live happily with a new Forester (or the old one for that matter). But I have the chronic car buyer bug & can hardly stand to keep a car for more than 2 -4 years. I sold the O3 Forester XS MT for $11,700 (52,000 miles) last week.

As much as we like the Forester, the OB with the CVT (had CVTs in A4 & Honda & love em) and greatly enhanced comfort & mpg won out. I may miss the nimbleness of a smaller car, but at 60 more space comfort won out -- besides it is really replacing my wife's rather plush A4 & will become our trip car. I will be driving a driving my ghetto cruiser - a 93 Honda Del Sol.

So today weI ordered a new Graphite Grey OB Limited 2.5i PZEV CVT with moon roof, Nav (really only wanted the backup camera & was too lazy & intimidated to do it myself), puddle lights,wheel arch trim, tow package (my boat & bike rack have 1.25" hitches), rear bumper cover, Auto dim mirror w compass & Homelink, rear side cargo nets. Sticker was $32,767. VIP price (2% below invoice) was $30,209. Plus we had $1,500 Subaru Bucks. so our final cash price was $28,730. A great price for a great no haggle deal - the internet gal was easy to work with & a bit flabbergasted when she realized that the cash price without a trade was $ $4037 below MSRP. I feel really blessed to be able to get such a nice car for that.

Proposed delivery date is Dec 15. As long as it arrives by Dec 31 so we can save another $800 on the sales tax deduction I will be more than pleased!

If you can plan ahead, it surely pays to use the Chase Subaru Card for 3% Subbie Bucks & get on a VIP program. Details about these can be found in this forum under Subaru Bucks & VIP program.

My next challenge is to crack the 35 mpg barrier after our new OB is broken in :D

Without all the information gathered on Edmunds I may have not known about Subbie Bucks, VIP, & gotten so much great feed back on questions about Subaru products. It is just what a car / information junkie needs :P Many thanks to all you regular posters & the editors. I am going to have to take a sabbatical for a while but will still be hanging around from time to time.