Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Outback Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Deal sounds great, I wonder how they're not losing money. Isn't holdback just 2% of invoice? That's about $500, so by my math they're giving you $500 to take their car.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 3,047
    edited April 2012
    Dealers can lose money to make money. I know it sounds crazy but for example. The manufacturer says "if you reach, say 10 sales of a particular model within this month we will give you $500 for each one you've sold. Don't hit the target, no bonus money."

Now, say they have one or two to sell to reach that goal. They can easily take a $500 or even $1000 loss on those vehicles because if they sell them they will get $500 times 10 or $5,000 back from the manufacturer. So, bottom line, they clear $3000-$4000 by "losing money" on a couple of vehicles. Shopping at the end of the month sometimes does lead to great deals. However, it doesn't always work because 1. there may be no promotion on and 2., they may be so far away from the goal that they aren't trying to reach it. That's how so-called volume dealers that are selling every day at below invoice still make money on new car sales. Plus, keep in mind that at most car dearerships, more money is made from used cars and the back shop then is made on new car sales.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,677
    Sounds great to me. You might be able to squeeze another hundred or two out of it, but I'm not sure it is worth it.

What is the dealership name / location?
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • godeacsgodeacs Posts: 481
    Subaru of Georgetown (TX), north of Austin.
  • godeacsgodeacs Posts: 481
    Thanks for all the comments, guys. BTW, this price was reached w/o any negotiating - I just requested a price via e-mail. The salesman said they could easily beat Edmund's TMV and he was right! They have over 50 OBs in stock so not sure if that helps, don't think it hurts.... :)
  • I looked at a 2012 Outback Limited 4-cylinder this evening. Sticker price of about $31800. The salesman told me I could have it for $28,900. This is a new vehicle, loaded with about everything except for Navigation. Is this a good deal, or should I expect a lower price?

When you buy from a Subaru dealership, is there typically additional costs, like "Dealer Fee"? I know I will have to pay taxes.
  • dad2bedad2be Posts: 57
    I'm looking at a similar model (limited w/ moonroof) for my sister. MSRP $31926 (including some accessories like wheel arch moldings, splash guards, rear bumper protector, and cargo net) and Invoice of $29706. Between two dealers and they're both in the same range that you mention ($28900) including destination. Will go the final round tomorrow to see if there is any end of month advantage. There may be some sales volume targets one of them needs to meet (per the thread above) or there also may be some dealer cash that we're just not aware of - lots of inventory out there and the 2013 specs have been released with some notable improvements.

As far as extra costs, it seems to depend on the state and the dealer. In PA, the dealer doc fee is something like $125, state tax is 6%, then there's some other fees for registration, title, etc totaling around $100. Not planning to pay any more than these amounts. Some other states seem to have much higher dealer admin/doc fees though (have seen $399 in Virginia) so difficult to provide any absolute rule. If you're in Ohio, then there seems to be a maximum admin/doc fee of $250 set by the state. Will still have the taxes and registration, etc, costs.
  • cerebus1cerebus1 Posts: 5
    I'm ready to purchase a 3.6R Limited Outback (no lease or financing). The question is ... should I go ahead and negotiate a deal now on a 2012 model OR should I wait a couple months in the hope that Subaru will offer some kind of cash-back deal on the 2012's (knowing that the 2013's are imminent) OR wait for a 2013 model?
  • jeffm5jeffm5 Posts: 111
    I have a 2010 4 banger. Trouble free so far. I hear the 2013s are going to have rear park assist. That's something I would have gotten.
  • newsubieguyconewsubieguyco Posts: 3
    edited May 2012
    I just bought a 2012 Outback 2.5i Limited over the weekend. MSRP was $29,470. It was a pretty basic Limited. No dimming mirror or anything. Out the door price was $26534 (including doc fee of $499 and not including taxes, since I traded). I caved in on the extended warranty and kick myself for not getting them to budge on the price and not threatening to walk. So that brings the total to $28149 with warranty to 7 years and 70k miles bumper to bumper. I need a little help here. Did I get a good price?
  • So after doing a bit of research, I found MUCH cheaper warranties from other dealers and went back in to re-negotiate. Long story short, they matched another warranty and so I paid $850 for a 7yr/70k mile warranty with no deductible on top of the $26499 (before taxes) for the Outback. Now I'm pretty convinced that I got a very good deal.
  • cincinnati_dancincinnati_dan Posts: 12
    edited May 2012
    I just bought a 2012 Outback 2.5i Limited two days ago, and spent $1450 for a 7-year/100K Gold Plus warranty. They wanted $1350 for a 5-year/100K. And both were zero deductible.
  • I was able to re-negotiate with the dealer to match another dealer's price for the extended warranty. Of course, I had to threaten to return the car before they would budge. But in the end, I got them to match it. They couldn't adjust the term or the payment amount, so they cut me a check for the difference. Which will pay for my registration with plenty left over. You should have one day left to pull a stunt like that if you want, but you have to be ready to act on it.

Al
  • oregonmanoregonman Posts: 60
    If I understand your post correctly, you paid $26534 - $499 = $26035 for the car before any fees. The only way to compare is before fees and taxes, since they vary so much. So the price for the car was 3435 below MSRP. That seems like a good price to me, since the dealers around here (Portland, OR) are advertising around 2500 below MSRP for 2.5i Limiteds.

But it is still not really possible to say if you got a good deal overall because you traded in your old car. Did they lowball the trade? Would they have given you the same price on the new car if you hadn't traded? It is difficult to compare car deals that involve trade ins, extended warranties and financing since there are several places for the dealers to take their profit.
  • pokyjonespokyjones Posts: 1
    With the 2013 model redesign & end of year approaching, any sense if Suburu will be offering rebates on the outback soon? When is best time to buy year end model this summer?
    I'm wondering the same thing. For me, I'd need to save at least $2000 to get me to buy a 2012 instead of waiting for a 2013. So far, I don't see that in my area. I don't think that Subaru has offered rebates in the past few years. In past purchases (a 2005, and a 2001 model year Outback and a 2007 Forester), I saved a lot by buying the outgoing model year. I was keeping an eye on the prices last year and I didn't see great deals on the outgoing model year. I'm guessing we won't see rebates this year either.

I have bought several cars Memorial day weekend. I have found that to be a good time in the past. I've bought from the loss leader ads in the paper.
  • vivibearvivibear Posts: 1
    I just got a quote about 2.5i premier outback with all weather package yesterday (New England).
    MSRP: 27,670
    Selling: 24,800
    Is that a good deal?
    Looks good to me! With a rough calc, that looks to be over a grand under invoice.
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • hayeshsuehhayeshsueh Posts: 1
    i got my outback last weekend.
    MSRP:34434
    Invoice: 31982
    OTD: 30434 + TTL
  • I got mine last Monday.

MSRP: 31,687 (Limited 2.5i with moonroof, no navigation)
    Price: 28,388 (somewhere around that)
    Included: Free oil changes for life, and they added side mouldings, puddle lights, and a cargo net.

But, I did trade in two vehicles, which might have influenced the deal.
  • subhash2subhash2 Posts: 1
    All I'm looking to purchase 2012 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium, CVT, this month. I live in twin cities; can you share what is the best deal I can expect to get. Please share your experiences.

Thanks
    2012 Outback 3.6R Premium CDJ with cargo net, rear bumper cover, and splash guards

MSRP $30538
    Price Paid $27891

plus I'll get the $500 Costco card.
  • almattialmatti Posts: 164
    Hayes, How do like the 3.6R? I have a 2010 2.5i Legacy which was purchased as a CPO. I also have a 2010 CRV leased....Thinking of trading the CRV in for a 2012 Outback - toying with the 3.6R Limited. I'm still on the fence about the 4 Banger (our Legacy is averaging 27 mpg - 50 % City/Suburban & 50% Highway ,now has 36.5K mileage)... Looks like you made a pretty good deal.
  • almattialmatti Posts: 164
    subhash, I just received a Flyer from my Service Dealer - not the one I purchased our 2010 Legacy 2.5i CPO from. They are offering a $2500 premium over the Book on the Trade in toward a new 2012 Subaru, Subaru incentives is 1.9% financing for 5 years (says on certain Models)....Sounds like they are starting to entertain deals. Happy Shopping. Do your research here at Edmunds and other sites. Are you a Costco Customer? if so, Check their referral - I saved a lot on my 2007 Infiniti G35X lease a few years ago - about $40 a month over 39 months with COSTCO..
  • Hello. I'm a new Subaru owner. Really (I mean REALLY) wanted to wait for the 2013 Outback, but finally resigned that the changes are not huge, I'd probably get a better deal on a 2012, the sales people kept calling, and with an additional car, now my son can be the taxi to early a.m. swim practice. I also wasn't really sure when the 2013s would become available. So, on 5-31, my husband and I left our poor daughter at home to do homework on her 15th birthday while we went to go buy a car. (We are horrible parents!) I'm not sure the "deal" was the best, as I didn't get quotes from other dealers. It started out as a "Costco" price, but after I decided to wait on the purchase three weeks ago, the salesman called back at the end of May with an offer of $30K flat. Said this was under the Dealer Holdback price and that even he couldn't get that price (really?).

Outback Limited 2.5i with Moonroof & Nav (was having second thoughts on Nav, but got it....)
    MSRP $33215
    Agreed Price $30000 plus TTL

Was this okay? Car has Puddle lights, body side molding, weather mats, rear bumper cover, & splash guards. It's red, which is what I really wanted, although I could have settled for another option. I didn't have to travel far to get the car.

Only possible "regret" is that the finance guy shoved a Gold Extended Subaru Warranty (7 years total/100,000 miles with $100 deductible) in the package--WITHOUT ASKING! Once I realized what was happening, I put on the brakes. My husband then thought it would be a good idea with all the new electronics, and especially the Nav system, which we have never owned. I'm KICKING myself for not negotiating this addition, or even turning it down completely. Did not realize it could be purchased later, even close to the end of the original warranty's expiration until after the fact. He never presented various options for extended warranties, just said, "Your monthly payment includes...extended warranty." I felt a bit "taken" once home for not realizing this was as much of a negotiating point as anything else and something that could have been considered later.

"Nick" claimed we were getting the "Costco" price for this--at $1100, "down" from $2500. Found out Costco has NO negotiated price for extended warranties. Agreed because I was tired and thinking about my daughter, lonely on her bday, and my husband was for it, but didn't attempt to ask for a better price. Apparently I can cancel this policy for a full refund minus $25 fee within the first 90 days.

I asked about a zero deductible and all he said, was that will really raise your price and not be worth it. I never thought of asking for the $1100 price with no deductible or lowering the price altogether. It effectively raised my OTD price by $1177, including the tax.

Should I cancel the warranty? Or, if it's a good plan, price shop other dealers at the end of this month? So far, that's my only true regret on the purchase.
  • The dealer cost of the Subie factory extended service contract (ESC) is (or at least, has been) basically 1/2 of the retail price. There are a couple of dealers that will sell them to you for cost + $25 or $50 or so, which is what I did. For my '09 OB Ltd a 7/100 zero deductible cost ~$1200.

I always skip the installed NAV, all these systems IMO are overpriced and will be obsolete before the useful life of the car, I prefer a Garmin I can take from car to car, update, and just replace for not too much if I want to.

IMO not cool for a dealer to put a ESC in there without prior notice, etc., but I don't know enough about current pricing to say whether it was a good deal or not.
  • geo30geo30 Posts: 1
    Hello,
    The car you purchased is exactly what I have been looking for and I have been looking at used ones but they are almost as much as new ones. The car lot has the same MSRP as you state. Did you just offer a lower price and start negotiating from there? I would buy new if I could buy one at the price you got yours for. May I ask which dealership you purchased your car at?
    Thanks.
  • Beechmont Subaru, Cincinnati, OH. I went in about 3 different times during about 3 weeks, and each time they gave me a better deal. I did trade in two vehicles, and I don't know if I could have gotten all that without the trade-ins.
  • Fendertweed--Thank you so much for your reply. Yes, if I could do it again, I would completely skip the Nav system. I'm so angry that I didn't do my homework to realize the system doesn't even call out street names and is riduculously hard to use/learn. I honestly thought and expensive system in a 2012 car would have that capability. It's the first time I've "allowed" myself to purchase a built-in Nav system. As far as the warranty goes, it looks like you thought it was a good idea back in '09. Because of how it was "assumed" I wanted it without even so much as asking, I'm seriously considering asking for the refund and price shopping the warranty later.
    I agree with previous comments.

The price you paid on the warranty isn't "bad," per se, but the methodology by which you bought it leaves quite a bit to be desired. If you think you would like to have the extended warranty in the long run (there are some benefits to the gold plus warranty even during the 3/36 bumper-to-bumper period), then I would contact them and request the warranty be upgraded to zero deductible at no additional cost.

If they don't want to play, I'd cancel it and consider buying the plan elsewhere later on. There is a thread (Gold Plus Warranty) that discusses the various plans, great places to buy, etc.