Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Outback Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,582
    I cannot comment too much on the specifics, easypar, but I will say that the price looks pretty decent and I agree with you on that interior!

Why have you decided to shift gears and look at an Outback? I mean to say, from your perspective as a same-gen Legacy owner, what lessons have you taken from that ownership that led you to now consider an Outback instead?
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • I purchase my car through Shortline in the internet sales division which means bare minimum pricing. I would try them. Since your price is under invoice for a 2013 I think it sounds like a great deal. You might want to look into getting a backup camera with your car if yours doesn't come with it. Also I know that Heuberger down in the Springs usually takes about 2700 off of MSRP which is the exact number you have. That is probably one of the best offers - I say go for it.
  • easypareasypar ColoradoPosts: 186
    When we bought the Legacy my wife asked if I didn't want an OB, but our other car is a Lexus RX330 and there was something about having 2 SUV's simultaneously, weird I know. In the 33 months we've had the Legacy we've put almost 60K miles on it because it gets better mileage than the Lexus and has the MP3 connection.
    We're not sure which of the current vehicles we'd trade for the OB, the Lexus is an '04 but only has 73K miles for the above reason. If we trade the Legacy she'd probably opt for something smaller next time. Other than driving vacations (which we've had many lately) neither car gets a lot of miles on it as our city has just about everything we need without going very far afield.

If we order it will take about 6-10 weeks to get here.

Thanks for the feedback.

easypar
    I'm not very familiar with Shortline but know some people who have gone to the Springs to save a few bucks from Heuberger. Frankly I'm not that interested in going that far. We have Subie stores in Longmont, Greeley, Fort Collins, Boulder and Loveland.

I saw one on the lot at one dealership last week and stopped because I wanted to see/feel the paint and interior up close. When there I noticed they had a sign on the wall about their $495 "paperwork" charge. The sign included the words "additional profit". Yeah, no kidding! If you're not competent enough to make a go of it one what Subaru USA offers I kind of doubt your willingness to deal honestly with me on follow ons. For the record this particular store was about $600 above my final price on my Legacy 3 years ago.

Thanks for your input and I'll keep you posted on our decision.

easypar
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    An early congrats, then.

In CR testing the Legacy got better mileage than the Accord, both H4 vs. I4 and H6 vs. V6.
  • samdarsamdar Posts: 4
    edited August 2012
    I am in the Northeast and have a dealer offering a 2013 outback limited for 27,500 out the door for 29,600 (tax, reg, 359 dealer fee. This is the best deal I have found around. What do people thing?
    It's probably good, but without knowing what all you've got for options; sunroof, PZEV, and other items, there's really not enough info for us to tell.

easypar
  • samdarsamdar Posts: 4
    no extras except the PZEV. MSRP is 30,190
  • This is my first OB. We bought 2013 4 Door Wagon H4 Automatic 2.5i Premium PZEV REAR SEATBACK PROTECTOR,REAR BUMPER COVER,SPLASH GUARDS,ALL-WEATHER + MOONROOF for $25801 ( out of door 28434).

Do you think this is good price?
  • What dealer is this price from? what was your MSRP on your 2013? I am in Sothern CA, and the best price on a Premium, All Weather Pkg, Moonroof + a few goodies like puddle lights, spalsh guards, bumper cover, I can find with an MSRP of (29,583) is $26,844 + TTL. Your price is 1k less and sounds like the best price i have seen. would love to know what dealer. thanks.
    After a few day's considertion, and seeing a Brillian Brown, Deep Indigo, Black and Graphite lined up next to each other, we decided against getting the Brillian Brown. We settled on the Twilight Blue with the ligt interior. We liked the Saddle Brown leather on the Special Appearance Package, but it looks odd against the matte black on the rest of the interior.

Total on the car was $29229 for a Limited, Sunroof with deflector, wheel locks, rear camera, Homelink and cargo net. (I think some of that is now included in the Limited.) After getting the price firm we decided to trade in my wife's '04 Lexus RX330, 75000 miles. KBB listed the trade in at $13500 and they're giving us $14000 so she's happy. Picking it up on Wednesday so we can get a few miles on it before heading to Ohio next week.

We'll now be a two Subie family. Since this is Colorado it's almost compulsory to get at least one dog for each car.

easypar
  • Congratulations on your new Subie. Did you have to order the blue with the ivory, or did they have it in stock? I think that's what I'm interested in with eyesight. I live in CT and haven't seen that in any dealer's inventory in the area.
    Bringing from a dealer in the Denver area, in tomorrow probably. My wife preferred the darker interior but none of the inventory near here had that. I prefer the ivory anyway as our Legacy has that.

Most of the inventory in local dealers is Blac, Graphite, White and Red it seems.

easypar
  • acuracyclist - I am in NCAL. Got this from subaru dealer in Livermore CA. MSRP was 29350.
    Sounds like a nice move on the trade-in; a good price and saves you the trouble of selling it yourself.

I'm not sure about the dog for your Legacy. It's just not right having a dog in a sedan. ;)
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
    Much as we both love dogs we'll probably never have another one. But in our town it seems as though 1/2 the cars have dogs (black labs and golden retrievers mostly) riding in them. I always joke with my friends back in Texas that when you register your car in Coloraod the only things the state asks is; "year and color of your SUBARU?", "here are your choices of John Denver CDs, please pick one", and "what color is the lab with its head hanging out your car window?"

easypar
    Never say never....

A dog adopted us.

I had 2 dogs a while ago and thought I was done. Then we dog-sat for a friend for a week. Turned out he couldn't keep the dog, so we transfer adopted and he's ours now.

As many sacrifices as you make, especially since we travel a lot, it's totally worth it.
  • I hate to say this but it is true. I have gone Coloradoan - just bought my first Subaru and yes I have a yellow lab who is loving it. I bought the car for the dog. I can't say that I am into John Denver at this time but who knows that might change. :)
    Picked up my wife's new OB this afternoon. This dealer hadn't had any of the Twilight Blue Metallic on the lot and the sales staff were checking it out when it came from the detaol shop after its wash etc. The new dash is pretty cool although the changing info center seems to be more ofa gimmick but maybe awaiting upgrades for future years. My wife says the ride seems more sure-footed than the '10 Legacy but I haven't driven it enough yet to say for sure.

The color does look pretty good, especially sitting in the garage next to the black Legacy.

One of the things the dealer offered was a "service package". 12 oil changes, good any time over 48 months for IIRC $275. That's synthetic oil, washing (we do that a lot in the winter-Colorado) and "inspection". I realize it's a bit of a gimmick to try to tell us "hey it needs this work right now!" but we both know how to say NO. That's like $23/each for synthetic oil changes.

Gotta go take pix of her and her baby so she can FB and email to friends.

easypag
    $23 for synthetic is less than materials alone cost, never mind labor.

Congrats.
    Would have had to order with the ivory interior but there were a couple of them with black in Denver. Not many of this color sitting on dealer's lots which is a shame. Once people see it they really like it. OTOH, it won't be the most common color on the road.
    I'm 64 so I've been a John Denver fan for 45 years or so, back in my late teens. I recommend listening to "Wild Montana Skies", not a real wide hit I don't think. "Country Roads" is really great, never better than when done by the immigrants on "American Dad".

easypar
  • Dear samdar, I am looking for the exact same car in MA. 2013 OB Premium, Auto Transmission and all weather package. Which dealership did you use? What are the rates for financing?
    So, looking over the total numbers on our new OB: $32,255 MSRP, $29,229 final price. It's a limited with option package 4/moonroof, Homelink and rear camera, body side molding, splash guards, rear bumper cover, wheel locks, PZEV, all weather mats and a cargo net which they had to order.

Looking over the price sticker I noticed that it says "8" cupholders and I thought; WTH? I looked in the owner's manual and they're counting the "bottle holders" in each door panel. Yeah, OK, but unless "more cupholders listed" translates into a higher price and better driving experience it means nothing to me.

Still, a very nice value for so much car.

One nice touch is the digital read out of the MPH that you've set the cruise control at.

easypar
  • Hi-

I think a reasonable measure of a good price is a percent off MSRP, it allows a good apples to apples comparison. I'm getting a offer of 7.8% off MSRP for a Premium with HK audio and Moonroof. Not as great as some of the deals I've seen, but not bad.

Also looking at a 2012 with a 11% discount. Is the 2013 better enough to spend the extra cash.

Finally, does anyone know- can you add the rear camera as an addition if the car has the Harmon Kardon audio?
  • I can tell you for sure that you MUST have a moonroof to get the rear camera in an Outback. They do not sell the separately. I ended up having an after market camera installed. It cost 20 for the camera, 150 for install, and for the compass homelink mirror with 3.3 video in the mirror cost 550 (came with free camera which I will be selling). Total cost to have it installed was bout $720. It is worth getting the sunroof if it is a must. By the way the mirror is a Gentex which is awesome but cost on average $750 by itself. It makes the moonroof about 850 by itself. I love my backup camera.

I have a 2012 by the way and got it at about 13% off MSRP - I also bought it on the last day of the month in July. :)
    They are both good deals. Invoice is generally ~6% under MSRP, so once you're under that, you're in "good deal" territory.

Benefits for the '13 model year include the FB engine and better handling. I don't think that goofy "eyesight" system is standard equipment, so I cannot count that as a detractor except in the units that are equipped with it.

Based on the engine and handling, though, I'd be inclined to go with the '13. Just the handling improvement, which is vast from what I hear, would push me that way. But, I also enjoy a rewarding drive, and the '10 was a terrible disappointment in that regard compared to the 2009 model it replaced.
  • hi

is it really possible to get this price ?

that's more than 1000 below invoice .

does your price include destinationfee ?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,850
    Your personal security is important to us, so please do not post your email address in a message.

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• quiksilvr1quiksilvr1 Posts: 6
    edited September 2012
    I'm about to pick up a new 2013 Outback Limited this Saturday for $27876 before taxes from Chicago. $MSRP is $32,138 & Invoice $29,798. It has the following:

- Moonroof package
    - All weather floor mats.
    - Rear Bumper Cover
    - Splash Guards
    - Puddle Lights
    - Body side moldings

1) Is $27876 a good price for these options?
    2) I'm being offered Subaru extended warranty for $2000 for 7yr/100k miles. Does anyone has experience with the Subaru extended warranty and will recommend to buy it? Is the price good?