Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Outback Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• longo2longo2 Posts: 347
    edited December 2012
    I found a few more tid-bits here...

"
    Subaru Outback

The Outback is now in its fourth-generation of what Subaru likes to call the world's first sport utility wagon.

The Outback is available with a 173-hp 2.5-liter four-cylinder with a six-speed manual transmission (or optional six-speed CVT), or a 3.6-liter six-cylinder with a five-speed automatic transmission. The CVT and automatic transmissions feature a manual mode with paddle shifters on the steering wheel. Limited models feature leather seating, a 440-watt nine-speaker harman/kardon audio system and dual-zone automatic climate control.

New for 2013, the Outback receives a DOHC 2.5-liter engine (replacing the previous SOHC engine). A new CVT transmission is available on 2.5 models. The grille, front bumper, headlights have been redesigned for all models. All models now come standard with Bluetooth audio streaming/phone connectivity and USB. Limited's gain rear seat ventilation ducts on the back of the center console."
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    FWIW, CR tested the new Outback and it actually scored slightly lower than the old one, 73 vs. 79 IIRC.

They said it was tighter but didn't ride as well as before.

They still recommend it.
    From what I can find on the 2013 "ride", it should feel a little harder as the suspension has been beefed up front and back to take out the jelly roll ride and brake dive that previous years owners never stopped complaining about.

Sounds like CR should love the Toyota/Buick ride.
  • Dealer just quoted me a price of $25,655 (includes the $795 destination) plus tax & title for a 2013 premium cvt w/ all weather package. Looks like that is right at invoice. Is that a good deal, or are folks getting these at below invoice these days?
    They do tend to like the "my mother law is in the back seat" kind of isolation.
  • seanuseanu Posts: 7
    I think you should be able to go a little under invoice. I got a 2.5 Premium PZEV with MoonRoof & AW for $26,500... if you take off the $1400 that the moonroof cost, it gets you to $25,100. A lot depends on the size of the dealership... the smaller guys won't give away too much... every sale matters to their bottom line. If you need leverage, tell them you will come back at the end of the month to talk again... they might try harder if they need to meet their end of month numbers.
    edited December 2012
    There are some good deals out there on low mileage 2012 Limited's for about $25,500 to $26,500 but I think after reading all I can find on the 'differences' on the 13's, your deal sounds pretty good to me.

On all the cars we have had with the Sun/moon roof option, we have never had them open once except when it came time to sell them.
    For that extra $1400, they can leak, whistle, rattle, and lower the front head room by 2". But that's just IMHO. Just hard to get a loaded Subaru without one.

That's the only option I have ever had that I didn't want in the next vehicle.

In the 2013's you can now get a 'grey' interior that includes the steering wheel and dash. That's keeping me interested/looking. I would prefer a medium beige interior, but at least it's full matching color and not the standard black dash and steering wheel plunked into a light interior is a good start.
  • jacksan1jacksan1 Posts: 504
    We are in the Twin Cities area, and in November we purchased a 2013 2.5i Premium (CVT) with the all weather package, rear bumper cover, and all weather floor mats for $24,598 before tax and registration fees. JFYI.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,650
    I really like the contrasting interior as opposed to one with the same colors throughout. The interior on my '08 Outback, with the brown-over-harvest-gold exterior and the black over beige interior was very nice.

A more monotone interior was the only reservation I had against the black cloth of my '10 Forester, as nearly everything is black up to the pillars. In that regard, the light grey interior looks much nicer.
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • Am looking at 3.6 limited with moon roof. I live in Bethesda, Md and you mentioned a dealer offering $1500 below invoice. Would you tell me who that is? thanks.
  • My mother in law is planning on buying a '13 Outback Limited Premium 3.6 with moonroof, heated seats, navigation etc. She is going in for a test drive on Wednesday (2 days) to a dealership she bought her current Outback limited from. It is a '00. She is going to deal with the same sale man and is convince he is the most honest guy on the face of the planet and will sell her the car as cheaply as he is allowed to. I know she will sign a deal at or even well above invoice if I don't help her out. Financing won't be a issue as she just received a large inheritance and is planning on paying cash. Any advice on what I should advise her to pay(hopefully below invoice)?
    Best you can do is go with her and look like you know what you are doing when it comes time to make the deal.....someone on this forum said the rule of thumb is 10% less than MSRP.

Not too hard to figure out that one, and if she is using inheritance funds, then great, lay on the options and have fun picking the colors!
  • Thanks. I'm going with here tomorrow. She does't like stressful situations. And I'm sure she's be happy to pay MSRP if I didn't go with here. I just don't want to see her get screwed.

This is the one she wants- http://www.edreillysubaru.com/new/Subaru/2013-Subaru-Outback-16ecce4e0a0d048e014- 45d283a3b7d6b.htm

I'll post what she ends up paying for it when we're done.
    Looks like a great Loaded up Outback, with even the big engine! She will have the Boss OB for sure.

My guestimate on your purchase price will wind up a little under the $34,000 mark. (plus the usual ttl's and Lord know what else they will try and stick you with)

Good Luck and be strong!
  • samyjsamyj Posts: 2
    I have a quote for the following vehicle in the CT/MA/NJ area. Does this sound like a fair deal?

I am looking for Outback 2.5i Limited (PZEV) with:
    1) options: Moonroof/NAV/EyeSight
    2) accessories: Rear setback protectors, body side moldings, splash guards, wheel arch moldings, moonroof air deflector

Out the door price: 33,240
    Car: 30,909
    Doc/Title Prep: 249
    Tax: 1962
    Plates: 120
  • eastbayflyereastbayflyer Posts: 1
    edited December 2012
    I have gotten a lot of useful information from this forum and feel that now I should give something back.

I just bought a 2013 Outback Limited with moonroof, rear seat protector, rear bumper protector and splash guards (Package 04) for $27,500 plus TTL. The dealer is Livermore Subaru in northern California.

I emailed several dealers with my exact requirements; turned out most of them had the one in stock. After that it was just a matter of finalizing the price. I negotiated the deal over email. First time had a phone or in person contact was yesterday when I went to sign the papers and pick up the car. They had offered me the going financing promotion (0.9% for 48 months) but I got a better rate (0.49%) through my credit union.

The transaction went very smoothly. They had the car ready and did not try to upsell me at all. I did have to wait 20 minutes for the finance guy to process my paperwork since he was with another customer. But overall it was a very positive experience thanks to the power of Internet.

Good luck.
  • gopeygopey Posts: 17
    You, sir have received one of the best deals that I have read...so far.

Can you please tell me the name of the dealer? I live in Portland Oregon and perhaps I can find a way to have it shipped here.

Thanks
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,650
    From eastbayflyer's message: The dealer is Livermore Subaru in northern California. :)
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • JPhamJPham Posts: 148
    I'm getting similar quotes from dealers on the Peninsula (Northern CA) as well.

I'm trying to decide between a 2.5 and 3.6 Limited. I'm getting these quotes:

2.5 Limited w/moonroof and a few minor accessories: $27.6 (MSRP $32.1, invoice: $29.9)

3.6 Limited w/moonroof and a few minor accessories: $29.9 (MSRP $34.8, invoice: $32.3)

It looks pretty good to me. Anyone have any luck getting just the base 3.6 (with or w/o moonroof)?
    Yes, in the end, I went with the H6 limited. It was quieter than the 2.5 and that power is too hard to resist.

Putnam Subaru and Serramonte Subaru both had similar pricing for anyone in Northern CA. I went with the guy closest to home. In and out, no tricks, no hard sell, 1.9% financing, TT&L and $80 doc fee is all. Ping me if you need more info.
    Congrats, a great car for under 30k, hard to do nowadays.
  • I'm almost commited to a new Subaru. Never owned one. Looking at the 3.6 with special appearance package. One thing i'm a bit hesitant with is the keyless starter. I'm coming from a BMW and am really fearful of all the electronic gizmos that can fail, especially when it comes to starting the car. But I really love the saddle brown leather. Anyone have an opinion on the reliability of the keyless starter. I know it is new for Subaru, but I guess i wonder what is involved in one and what could possibly/likely fail.
  • Pretty sure the question doesn't have to do with prices paid.

So let me make sure this posting is apropos:

Just picked up a new 2013 Outback 3.6R Limited with Moonroof and seatback protector and cargo net and flaps and mats and remote start.

Full Mulroney = 35,230

Paid 30,900. (Add 250.00 "fee" + 35.00 title + sales tax)

Emailed local dealers around northern Ohio, found what I liked in stock and started email (and a few phone) negotiations.
  • cmunizcmuniz Posts: 604
    I have had the keyless ignition in a Hyundai Sonata, a Kia Sorento and a VW Beetle and all have worked without fail. Once you use it, it's tough to go back to an FOB w/key. I've gotten used to keeping the "key" in my pocket and using the handle button to get in and out and the button to start the car. I'm looking to buy a 2013 Outback and would buy the SAP just for the keyless feature since it is something I would use every time I use the car, as opposed to the moonroof that is used only occasionally.
    Let me ask something ... if you have keyless entry/start and the car battery dies or your key fob battery dies, does that mean you are completely locked out of the car? Is there a manual way to unlock?
  • cmunizcmuniz Posts: 604
    They have back-up keys for both the doors and ignition that fit inside the FOB.
  • Can you please tell me how this back-up key would work to start the ignition? Does it override the start/stop switch?
  • 2 dealers in my area (ny) are saying there is no manufacturer support on the outback yet people on this forum are getting deals well below invoice. What is the real story - are the dealers not being truthful?
  • The special appearance package includes a remote fob that has a metal key that will unlock the drivers/passengers door in the event that the the remote will not unlock the car or the battery in the fob is dead. Note this key will not start the car as there is no slot in which to insert the key. To start the car in the event that the battery is dead the fob must be placed touching the push button start switch and once the car validates the code in the fob the push button will turn green and the car will start.

Note that the transponder in the fob will be interrogated by the car and does not require power if it is placed very near the push button switch. The battery in the fob only extends the range.

A rather innovative idea.