Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Outback Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    That's with the trade? What's the blue book wholesale for your trade?

I would look at these as two seperate transactions, to keep things simple.

-juice
  • digobwdigobw Member Posts: 4
    I paid $14.2K for a 2002 OBW with 46K miles, no trade.
  • sadlosadlo Member Posts: 6
    I just found an '01 VDC with 45,000 mi at a local Chevy dealer. Its a dealer I don't necessarily trust.

Anyway..its pretty clean and they are asking $20.9K. Kelly Blue Book lists the retail of this model at 20.9 too. I like the idea of a 3.0 but I hate the idea of buying a car with 45K. I certainly can't afford a new one so I'm wondering about the value of buying used compared to a new 2.5 for 23K?

What would be a good offer on the VDC? $17K?
    Keep in mind that thing was over $30 grand when new, and it has a ton of equipment on it.

I imagine you could bargain them down to $19,999, just tell them you'd put a $20k price cap on your budget. $17k is too low, their price is already at the book value, so that's fair. At $20k it's still a deal.

vs. New? Well, are the extras important to you? If so, you could add an extended warranty to the VDC and still come out ahead.

If you value new car smell and not the leather and moonroof, go for the new model.

-juice
  • sweet_subiesweet_subie Member Posts: 1,394
    no, it has 45k miles, just pay only 18-18.5k, if they are asking 20.9k, there is always 1-2k room from what they are asking
    All,

Finally, i bought my OB XT Ltd, auto, gold opal. I paid 28,000 even for MSRP of 32,600. Bought from Singer Subaru, NH who was awesome, awesome. No tension whatsoever, gave the price right away & i reduced by $400 & the deal was done. The entire deal incl. my trade-in took 30 min to complete the deal.

I added remote start which seems to be approved by SoA & will NOT void warranty. Hopefully, i will get such a good deal on my Tribeca next year.
    Congrats Krisshna. I know you've been Subaru shopping for a long time! :)

-juice
    what do you mean, this is my 3rd subie buddy.
    1993 Legacy seda
    2001 OB
    2005 OB XT Ltd (now)
    2006 Tribeca (next)
    Didn't mean to say you were a first time buyer, just that you were shopping for a few different Subaru models.

At least it seemed that way since I've seen you in several differnet threads.

-juice
  • whbwhb Member Posts: 2
    I am trying to buy an Outback 3.0 VDC, but finding a 2005 model in the color I want is difficult, so I am thinking about ordering a 2006. The problem is that while I have lots of information on what is a fair price for a 2005, I have no info on what I should pay for a 2006 pre-ordered from the dealer. Does anyone here have any ideas? On the one hand, I think that buying early in the model year probably raises the price; on the other hand, by pre-ordering, I am an easy sale and a quick turnaround off the lot, so the price should be lower. I am trying to figure out how much below MSRP or invoice I should expect to pay (and how much higher the 2006 MSRP/Invoice will be than the 2005). Thanks.
    2006 will come with NaV

2005 is available at 4-5k below msrp. go get it now.
    There will be no incentives so I would aim for invoice. The dealer may not even be willing to do that, so at this point, today, I'd opt for a 2005 and compromise on the color.

-juice
  • soccerbjsoccerbj Member Posts: 1
    First post here,

Just got back from a dealership in IL with a quote of $22,200 plus tax and license fee for a 2005 OB 2.5i auto without options. The dealer told us basically it is the invoice price - 2% - $1500 rebate since my wife is qualified for the VIP program. We did not argue about the price since we will check out other options at Toyota and Honda too. But is this a good deal or it can be still lowered considering that 2006 will be on sale soon?

Basically we love the OB styling, 4WD and the safety features like the standard side & curtain airbags, but after the test-drive we feel that the built quality, though still o.k., is not as good as we expected. I probably checked out all the OBs on the parking lot, and to my surprise, I found out most have rusty brake rotors and calipers already. After I got underneath one of the car, I found out other rusty parts and bolts too. This makes me at least concerned. Never owned a Subie before, and heard different comments, I am really confused now

Anyway, thanks for any advice in advance.
  • rob_mrob_m Member Posts: 820
    $24.5 is basically invoice - check edmunds.com. Minus the rebate, you get 22.2 - not a bad price. VIP pricing gets you this price with no haggle. If you are inclined, you probably could get another $500 - $1000 off the price. Depends how motivated the dealer is to move the car.

I am on my second Outback. Been happy with both. Quality on the new generation Legacy is awesome.

As for the rust on the rotors, they all have that. My rotors will have a coating of rust overnight if there is any moisture in the air. They clean off the first time you apply the brakes.

Good Luck! Rob M.
    the rusting on rotors goes away. it did on my 2005 OB XT Ltd. don;t worry.
  • socalscootersocalscooter Member Posts: 6
    Hi all,
    I've been lurking on this board for awhile before deciding to take the purchasing plunge. Last night I bought my '02 VDC Outback and I feel really good about it. The car is in great condition and has 38,000 miles on it. We paid $20,075 plus taxes and fees (Los Angeles county sales tax is the worst!), and at the last minute we decided to get the extended warranty. It's a real treat to have a car with all the added bells and whistles. Almost makes me wish I had a longer commute so I could spend more time in it!
    Thanks to everyone for sharing their Outback experiences.
    Now I just have to find someone to buy my Jetta...
  • comparecarcomparecar Member Posts: 6
    I have been quoted 32,570 for out the door (include TTL) for a SUBARU outback 3.0 VDC wagon limited. I am wondering if this is a good deal? Anyone know?
    This is a 2005 model.
    please reply
    No, it is NOT. you should buy it for at least 4,000 below MSRP. then it is decent.
    what you quoted is only 2k below. right now, there are customer + dealer rebates. you should easily get 4k below.

where are you located ?
    Houston. Thanks for replying. When they quote you the price, do you have them do this with or without TTL and is the 4K you refer to with or without TTL?
    subaru dealers in houston are thieves. i used to live there. gillman/southwest are all horrible. there is one dealer in Austin(other than gillman) & one in Temple, TX that are decent. i think the one in temple is really good.

cut the deal over the internet & go pick it up.
    get the out-the-door price, take out 5,000 from that & say this is all i can pay & settle for 4,000 to 4,500. that's it.

make sure they don;t add anything else to it.
    To sweet subie - how many subarus/what years/models have you owned?
    So if the dealer quoted me 32,570. out the door (including TTL) and edmunds vdc msrp shows 34625, I should go 2-3K lower and say all I can pay is 27820?
    The only extra I want is a dog guard which costs 250, and so far they haven't agreed to throw that into the cost.
    How many subarus/what models/years have you owned?
    Discuss repair/reliability w/these.

So if the dealer quoted me 32,570 out the door (this includes TTL) and edmunds 3.0 vdc outback '05 msrp = 34625, I should go 2-3K LOWER and say all I can pay is 27820?
    The only extra cost I want is a dog guard which costs $250 retail at dealer installed and so far they won't agree to throw that into the deal.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
    5 still currently in the fleet, and they've required non-scheduled dealer visits 0-1 time each. Mostly no visits required.

-juice
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    You need to provide the price before TTL.

DaveM
    I owned 93 legacy sedan, 01 OB & now 05 OB XT. I will only buy SUbarus since the reliability has been outstanding in the ones i have owned. No repairs/problems whatsoever.

Subaru is the most reliable brand of 2004 by COnsumer reports.

Tell them what acessories you want. Get the MSRP + TTL + Documentation fee + processsing fee + accessories etc etc. get all in price. Then take 4500 or 5000 off this number. don't take this from edmunds number. get the out-the door price from dealer. Dealers get desparate if you go the last few days of month because they want to meet the month's goal. works best on last day of month.

go to subaru.com, go to austin/temple, tx dealers website, choose vehicle, get all-in quote, quote your offer & cut the deal over the internet. The smaller cities like temple tx usually bend over backwards to do the deal.
    thanks, dave, price quoted from dealer w/out TTL is 30,390.
    msrp for this model is 34,625 from edmunds
    30,000 + TTL should be your final price, not more than this. the dealers are now desparate to get rid of 2005, they won;t show the desperateness to you.

or else look for 2005 used, you will easily get for 28-29k.
    Was this for a wagon 3.0 R LL Bean OUtback? (2005)
    I'm getting quotes that don't go below 29,599 for a wagon '05 LL Bean OB 3.0
    please respond
    no i quoted for vdc, 4k below msrp of 34k is 30k

you can use online service like cars.com or carsdirect.com & should be able to get better deal. they will always start at high price. you make your offer at 4 to 5k below msrp & stay firm.
  • wicjpwicjp Member Posts: 2
    I was wondering similar information but never saw a reply from anyone...so, I am going to ask a similar question in hopes that someone might be willing to respond. I am looking for the Residual Value or Residual rate for a 2005 Outback 2.5 Limited, 36 months, 12k per year. Thanks in advance if anyone has this info.
  • wdaveo1wdaveo1 Member Posts: 34
    Subaru dealer here has a beautiful '05 Limited Dealer Demo with approx. 7000 miles - they are asking in the ballpark of $25,000. They also have an LLBean demo '05 for $6500 below MSRP (can't remember what the MSRP is) - approx. 3500 miles on this one.

These are all before TTL.

Would I be better off trying to strike a deal on a NEW '05? They have about 20 on the lot they need to get rid of.

Thanks for any help!

Dawn
    2nd one seems better to me. not a bad deal. even for a demo, do a carfax check on VIN # before buying.

Demo's warranty starts from day the car was driven & NOT from when you will buy.
    Demos are driven harshly. If you don;t care about saving 1-2k, get a new one.

If you get a Demo, get Subaru's added security (gold plus). it is worth it.
    Not sure specifically, but the Outback gets 3/5 stars from CNN Money for value retention.

-juice
  • dcprofdcprof Member Posts: 1
    First time poster, first time car buyer. Please be gentle.

My wife and I are looking to buy an Outback (either the 2.5 turbo or 3.0) between now and October (when the lease on our current car is up). It sounds like some great deals are being had right now on the 2005s. Does anybody know (perhaps from past years) if those deals are likely to last through the summer as the 2006s get introduced, or should we jump now (before June 30 when the current deals expire) if we want one? We'd prefer to wait a little while because we only need one car, and the lease isn't up until October.

Thanks.
  • jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    Generally, they replace the current deal with a new one.

There are only two issues I can think of to really consider buying a new car late in the model year:

1- there may be a limited selection in terms of color and features

2- buying at the end of a model year, you take a bigger hit on depreciation. But if you plan to keep the car for a long time, it's less of an issue.

Hope it all works out for you!

Jim
    That's the key here - selection will dwindle, so if you're picky about a color then I'd be worried.

-juice
  • rinconrincon Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I'm a first-time new car buyer, first-time poster, never owned a Subaru (but excited to!). I have many questions, and answers/opinions to some or all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much. I've read many of the recent posts on this board and will try not to be repetitive.

I've done a bit of research online, so I'm pretty much decided that I want a 2005 Outback wagon, and am not choosy on color. I'm in the PA area, but moving to NJ.

First question is whether or not folks think the standard 4 cyl. engine is underpowered and therefore is the 4 cyl. w/turbo or the 6 cyl. a must? I'd planned on the 4 cyl. w/turbo but am wondering if it's necessary. I do a decent amount of highway driving, commuting, and long trips on the weekends. Does anyone have experience with the past turbo models?

Which online resources are the best places to get informed on price and how do you interpret that info.? The comments I've seen on this site seem to suggest that I should be looking to negotiate far below the pricing numbers I've seen on Consumer Reports, Edmunds, cars.com, etc. Where do you typically start negotiating on price? It seems as if the MSRP isn't even part of the equation given all data online -- is that right?

Any negatives to Subarus I should know about in advance? (I have had a hard time getting any from family/friends).

Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions.
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    from what i have read the 4 cyl turbo is more fun to drive and the 6 cyl is more of a highway cruiser.

bigelm reported great prices and friendly people at flemington subaru ( nj ). fitzmall ( you can see their cars at fitzmall.com ) is a great starting price with no hassles but you should be able to do better if your willing to flood the subaru dealers with emails.

where you moving to in nj?
    I think it's adequate at least, plus it's fuel efficient. It all depends on your tastes.

Test drive one (or even two). Get out on the highway and try merging and passing, see what you think.

-juice
  • electricglideelectricglide Member Posts: 6
    My wife and just bought 05 LL Bean Outback for $28,000 in May from Tri-City Subaru, Dover, NH, this was the out the door price, dealer kept the $1000 rebate. We had two other dealers match the price, but wouldn't go below. Consumer Reports stated that the wholesale price for the car is $28,400. I guess we got a good deal as one dealer couldn't understand how the other dealers were able to go so low.
    if you can afford H6 or turbo, get it. Esp that it is available at 4-5k below sticker.
  • jrodriguezjrodriguez Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    We just bought our first Subaru yesterday, an 05 Outback 2.5i Auto.
    Tomorrow I am going to the bank to cut a check, but must decide if I want to take an extended Subaru warranty or not. This car is for my wife, and will be driven approximately 10K miles per year, at most.

Is this a worthy expense? How much should I expect to pay for one? I have the out the door price sealed, but will not sit down and be offered the warranty price by the sales guy until wednesday.

If anybody cares to comment before noon on Monday, I will appreciate it.

jr
    $800-1300 is the price most people pay, depending upon the length of the term and whether it has a deductible.

What you really pay for is piece of mind, I have a 7/100 warranty and can plan on not having a $2000 repair slap me in the face in the first 100k miles. It also includes roadside assistance, so we save $71 per year that we had been paying for AAA. The offsets some of the cost.

Plus if we sell before the warranty is up, that's piece of mind for the buyer and it should boost resale value at least slightly.

-juice
  • jrodriguezjrodriguez Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply.

jr
  • mkostermkoster Member Posts: 1
    I wanted to ask if there was some place to post to MD/VA/DC users about my used '02 Subaru Outback Wagon for sale.. I've had many good years with Subaru, but I must let it go and would like to find a Subaru-loving owner to take it. I don't want to offend anyone here, so please let me know if there is a place on here for selling used Subies.. Thanks!

mkoster
  • occkingoccking Member Posts: 346
    In January I paid $900 for a 5 year, 100,000 mile -0- deductible extended warranty. Supposedly they had a "sale" at the time & this kind of warranty normally would sell for more like $1500. But, for the kind of mileage for this vehicle, you certainly don't need a contract written for that kind of high mileage.
    Like everything else, if you have need for the service contract once or twice, it will pay for itself.
    Edmunds does not have such an area. Try Cars.com maybe.

-juice
  • rinconrincon Member Posts: 2
    thanks for your thoughts, good food for thought as i start to test drive. was at flemington subaru the other night, definitely better so far than the place i test drove in pa. moving to the princeton area.

btw, after driving the turbo, am actually thinking more seriously about the straight 4 cyl. models instead. didn't like the way the turbo kicks in at such low rpms.
  • beans1beans1 Member Posts: 1
    I just tried to buy a 2005 Outback LL Bean with subwoofer, MSRP $33,246. I've been reading on this board about getting $4000-$5000 off MSRP on Outbacks. .A couple of posts discussed similar vehicles at 28,000 to 29,134. The best offer I got from my local dealer was $30,466 . I can try other dealers, but I am concerned about how well I am likely to do in Atlanta. Any ideas?