Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Outback Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• nedlyjnedlyj Posts: 89
    edited August 2010
    I agree with the comments about good service departments being the ones that do more than the "average" service. I have also always found that it helps to establish a relationship with the service manager - and one in particular if it's a large dealer that has several managers.

However in my experience (albeit mainly with Honda) the service dept really just wants you to buy another "Honda", because they are an entirely separate cost center from the sales dept. and they simply want the service business - doesn't matter as much about exactly where the car was purchased. But again, that's just my personal experience with Honda. My experience with my local Nissan dealer on the other hand was that their service dept couldn't care less about anything... :) AND that did in fact stop me from getting another Nissan.

Hopefully my local Subaru dealer will be a good service experience.
  • I don't get your reasoning, but I don't need to. I think the most important thing is that we have this forum where we can exchange ideas and information about the quality of dealers so that we can make more informed decisions.
    edited August 2010
    OK, so I'm confused now as to what exactly was the point? No one said a higher priced sale means better service.

If you're looking for the best Sales deal - go with Dealer #2. Where's the question?
  • What I was really looking for was whether the Dealer #2 price seemed so low to folks out there that it was a likely bait and switch. Any information on that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    edited August 2010
    Very possible it is a straight-up deal, they're still making money. Only way to find out for sure is to proceed down that path and see what happens. No one can answer that question here. Good luck. :)
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,391
    I agree with nedlyi's argument. Familyguy, I think you should move forward (cautiously) with the second dealer. Keep in mind that the quote was given over the phone, so you may well run into the problem of "I/we never said that." If so, either move on to the next dealer or politely threaten to do so and see if that changes their mind.

Service and sales are two separate issues altogether. My local dealer, 350 miles from the next nearest, is absolutely pathetic in terms of sales. Their service department is good. I have tried several times to negotiate a price on a car there and never get anything close to a reasonable deal. As such, I typically save $2500 (after the cost of bringing it home) by buying 2200 miles away in Seattle. It is not personal; it is business.
  • Well, more news. Reached out to another dealer who came back on the phone and was able to quote me $25,600, which is $300 less than the quote I was concerned was part of a bait and switch. He just faxed over the contract so I know it is the real deal.

Out the door, $28,000.

Thanks for all the advice and banter.
    Now that's a good deal :) Congratulations!
  • fasttexfasttex Posts: 24
    That is one of the most intelligent comments that I have seen on this forum in a while. Local small town dealers can't compete with the big city dealers on price. Sometimes they may have only 20 Subarus for sale and rely on their service departments to live. Generally 80% of the income is generated by parts and service. Even though it's only business, when it comes down to only a few hundred dollars, I will buy close to home because it is more about relationships. To have a dealer on your side dealing with SOA is a real plus and could save thousands over the life of a vehicle. Thanks from a small town dealer!!! :) :) :)
  • Picked up the car today. The deal was as advertised. Out the door for 28,000 at Pine Belt Subaru in Lakewood NJ.
  • Maybe this is an issue in small towns. In central NJ where I am, I have at least 7 Subaru dealers within 45 minutes of my home. I expect each of them has an incentive to be on my side dealing with SOA for referrals and for repeat business.
    Picked up the car last night. $29,000 out the door (7% tax sucks). Good buying experience from this dealer (Kings Subaru, Mason, OH) - very Low pressure (they used to be a Saturn dealer).

Car really is beautiful and well thought-out.

Two minor interior cosmetics dealer needs to fix, but other than that nothing of note. It really is a nice vehicle for the $. Hopefully it will hold up to its reputation - wife wants to keep it at least 10 years :)
  • Ordered 2011 Outback 2.5i Premium + Graphite Gray + Auto CVT + Power Moonroof + HK Audio + Media hub + Rear bumper cover for $26,474.... a wait of about 4 weeks... pretty excited!!
    Most of the dealers would not do it for less than $27,100...
    edited August 2010
    Not to question, but... really? And you're sure they're quoting you the right model and package?

I'm only asking because that's $900 under dealer cost - $1800 under invoice, and $2500 under sticker (sticker price on that is $29,909). I've never heard of anyone discounting anywhere near that much. Even Von Bortels (the chepest quotes around) are quoting $27,737 for that setup. If you're getting that price on that package, you have scored a truly fantastic deal.
  • oops just realized I didn't include the destination fee of $745, which others include while posting the quote... guess its a fair deal! Total before taxes and lic comes to $27,220 for 2011 OB 2.5i Premium + Auto + PM+HK+MediaHub+Rear bumper cover...
    edited August 2010
    Still an impressive deal at that cost too. That's only $300 more than I paid for mine and I didn't have the HK upgrade - an additional $1100 upgrade. So, yeah, I'm about $800 jealous. Congrats. :)
  • fasttexfasttex Posts: 24
    edited October 2003
    Also, not to question but that is less than an employee, any VIP deal or any other deal that I have seen EVER, EVER, EVER !!!!! Dealer invoice is $28950 on that exact vehicle?????????????????????????????????? :confuse: :confuse: :confuse: :confuse: :confuse:
    One other note - you never mention the AWP but as far as I know you have to get that with the HK and/or PM packages. That's another $500+. Does your quote include that?
  • skyiceskyice Posts: 21
    how about this deal?

2011 outback 2.5i limited, silver/hblack leather interior, moonroof package, media hub, splash guard for $29,657 including destination fee. This is the best I can get.
  • therdrtherdr Posts: 1
    For this exact car I have got them down to $29,901 with AWP. I'm still working them but I would jump on your deal for sure.(Vermont)