Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Outback Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• I am looking to buy an Outback Limited 3.6R. I am hoping to get any info on Subaru buying experiences here in Massachusetts. The dealers closest to me are:
    Village Sabaru, Acton, MA
    Patrick Subaru, Shrewsbury MA
    Metro West Subaru, Natick MA
    but I also do not mind buying from anyone within about an hour of these places if it is worth it.

Where I buy the car and where I have it serviced, really does not have to be the same place as far as I am concerned.

One thing I am looking to find out is what is the Administration/Document fee at any of these (or other) Massachusetts dealers. These fees are mostly profit to the dealer and I would prefer to know the numbers since it is just another piece of the negotiation. We have the abilty to use the VIP program (2% under invoice), but I am sure any other these other fees will be added after that and if there is variation amongst dealers, then it may help me chose where to go.

Anyway any info regarding buying expereiences and prices in Massachusetts/New England would be appreciated. Also I have read about NE Surabru and the Ernie Bach factor, did others find the NE subaru invoiuce to be higher? (~$360) Seesm like just about the 1% distributor "tax" that seems to be mentioned with NE Subaru.
    So any help on Admin/doc fees, invoice prices above "standard" would much appreciated. I am familiar with all the other necessary costs of title fees, registration fees, destination fees, but the Admin/Doc fees seem to vary.

Thanks and hope to be an Outback owner soon. (might wait for 2012 if they come in Setember)
  • Picked up our base 2.5i today in Bangor, ME. Had a great experience, in part because my dad is friends with a dealer in NH who quoted me essentially invoice at $23890 out the door. I took my wife to test drive here in Bangor and when she finished I told the guy about our other quote and he didn't even hesitate, because he knew the NH dealer. Indeed, he got us a deal at $23640 plus tax out the door (we would have had to pay tax in Maine, even if we bought in NH). That's a couple hundred undred invoice (maybe more if you take into account that NE invoices tend to be higher than Edmunds listing, and about $400 under TMV. We also got the 2.9% interest rate, with out fees through Subaru/Chase, which is very competitive relative to local CUs and banks (all running around 4-5%). I have never recommended a car salesman before, but if you are in the Bangor area, I really recommend you track down Lou Martin at Quirk's Subaru. It really was a no hassel process, and I bet the experience would be similar for others who show up with some numbers to work with. If you go into the place to buy a car cold...well...I couldn't really say.
  • Forgot to mention it is the CVT automatic base 2.5i, not the manual shift.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Congrats, you beat TMV by a nice margin, too.
  • worldlyworldly Posts: 23
    I'd appreciate your subjective impression of the ride quality of your Outback, compared to the Hyundai Santa Fe. My choices have boiled down to four vehicles, including the Outback.

Given that I already own a 2008 Hyundai Elantra, and I couldn't be more satisfied with the Hyundai product (in general), and the $500 (or so) credit I would get via the Hyundai Loyalty Program, I'm leaning toward the Santa Fe.

However, I haven't made a final decision, and before I test drive the Outback, I'd like to hear other members' impressions of the Outback's ride quality compared to its competitors.

In advance, THANKS!
  • cathyv1cathyv1 Posts: 4
    I test drove the 4 cylinder Santa Fe and the 4 cylinder Outback. I felt the Santa Fe was much louder and slower with the getting up and going. I test drove both on a wet day, and the Santa Fe’s wheels spun a few times before getting traction, where the outback held to the road without any hesitation! We have driven the Outback in an ice storm and it was handled amazingly well. I think the inside of the Santa Fe was more luxurious, but safety first in my world. I am very happy with our Outback!
  • Just picked up a 2011 Subaru Outback Premium with the Hardmon kardon system, Moonroof and I think AWP. Also came with the USB media hub.

I told the dealer I'd pay 92% of MSRP, which matched what I was seeing as a good deal according to truecar.com - basically this was just under dealer invoice. So I got the deal but I broke down and ended up buying the 7-year extended warranty and 3 year service plan.

Happy happy joy joy!
    kris :)
    Cool...Subaru Gold?

Nice thing is you get roadside assistance the whole time, i.e. 7 years' worth.
  • Not sure if its gold? The pamphlets indicate there are two levels but the offer they gave me only listed one. I'll have to check with the dealer!
    Congrats, BTW.
  • I need some help in understanding and using the TMV in buying a Subaru Outback. When negotiating with a dealer here in New England, I got tripped up and confused when a salesperson told me the dealer's invoice was higher than the national figures available on Edmunds.com (because there is a single independent distributor in New England for all dealers). He said the TMV that I offered was LOWER than his invoice cost and had a sheet for the model that supported this. Yet, the Edmunds' site says the TMV reflects what is happening regionally. What am I not understanding?
  • fasttexfasttex Posts: 24
    Not surprising, TMV is not selling the car. TMV is just a guide for the consumer, not the dealership. Subaru is one of the most transparent of the manufacturers in regards to the cost of a vehicle. There are no real "hidden" incentives as there are with most manufacturers and the markup is very aggressive. Right now it is a supply and demand situation. Demand is much higher than supply but will get much better in the coming months.
  • Thanks for the response. That's helpful and reassuring. I thought the TMV was a "reasonably current" figure reflecting what is happening regionally modified by some mathematical formula. Wouldn't the TMV take into account the higher dealer invoice costs as well as current market conditions?
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,391
    I think it is based on model year, so the "current conditions" may not factor in as strongly, but yes, it should take into consideration the added Subaru of NE fee. In the end, the dealer will say what they think they can get away with saying to convince you to line his pockets. If you don't think the car is worth that, walk away.
  • fasttexfasttex Posts: 24
    What is "Reasonable Profit" on a car? 10%, 5%, 2%, 0%? Or is something that dealers don't deserve? After all they just want to "line their pockets". :confuse: :confuse: :confuse: :confuse:
  • amigirlamigirl Posts: 2
    hey guys, thanks for all the helpful chatter here - I only learned of this forum when I started getting serious about buying our first outback. I did make some mistakes in the process though (such as - i told them i was paying cash before settling on a price, not waiting until the end of the month, ...), so i'm just wondering how I did!

we got the 2.5i Premium, with AWP, Bluetooth, auto-dimming mirror with compass and homelink, all-weather floor mats, and rear bumper cover, for $25,420 ($28170 out the door). This is below what TMV and TrueCar are giving me for our area, but I wonder if I could have gotten an even better deal! thanks :)
    No such thing, supply and demand determines price, not what is or isn't reasonable. ;)

I'd say I'm a darn nice customer and they should deliver the car for free, though. LOL
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,391
    I'm sure, given the right situation, one can always get "a better deal." The question is whether you think you received a good car for the amount you paid. Sounds like, in price alone, you did reasonably well.
  • I'm looking for a similar subaru outback limited, but the 2.5i and am looking at the same dealerships. would love to know what you have found. I'm hoping to buy within the next week or so. I'm getting the impression the 2012 cars are a bit in the future, but i may be wrong.
  • Hi everyone, I talked with a local Subaru dealer (Wisconsin) today and he offered me a price of $26583, so with TTL it's ~$28000 OTD. It's a 2011 Outback 2.5 premium CVT with All-weather package and power moonroof (option package 06). The salesman is a nice guy who is very helpful, but I don't know whether this deal is good enough. If anyone can help me with that, I will be greatly grateful.