Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Outback Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• machimachi Posts: 3
    West Houston Subura (near Katy, off I-10); the salesperson was Alberto Andrado.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,267
    The '02 Limited certainly sounds like the best choice. Of course, you're taking the risk of having head gasket issues present or soon cropping up. If other maintenance is current, including the struts (and possibly half shafts) having been replaced in the not-so-distant past, the price you'd pay for it is enough lower than the LL Bean that you could have a shop replace the head gaskets and still not be into it for more than a car with, perhaps, a less stellar history.

For me, knowing the history of a used car adds a lot to its intrinsic value as it generally cuts down on the surprises, some of which like to occur moments after signing on the dotted line. :surprise:

Good luck in your hunt!
  • Thanks - according to Edmunds, invoice price for a Limited is $26,913.
  • Just picked up our Outback today. OTD Price is $26,985
    All-Weather Package
    Auto-Dimming Mirror w/Compass & HomeLink
    Rear Bumper Cover
    Wheel Arch Molding

After telling the business manager I would come home and research warranties, he dropped the list price of the 7/70 plan from $1620 to $1099. Has anyone done better on the warranty? They also offered $575 for the Ultimate Vehicle Protection. Is it worth it?
  • That was the Premium 2.5i
    What is the deductible on your 7/70? The price sounds reasonable, even if not the absolute best you could have come by.

I'm not sure about that UPP; that's not a manufacturer thing.
  • gtbdevsgtbdevs Posts: 19
    Got the above w/moonroof for 29959 plus TTL, in NJ.

Hopefully it was a good deal. Can't wait to pick it up.
  • $o Deductible
  • tripeltripel Posts: 12
    that sounds really good, from what I've been researching
    I'm in NYC too -- where did you buy this one? Seems like you have to leave the city to frind a Subaru dealership.
    thanks for this info -- very valuable. So I understand the target to shoot for is $4K below MSRP, great to know.

Another Q though -- if not doing financing, should one expect to get more of a break on the price? I intend to pay cash -- would you assume I should target $5-6k below MSRP in that case?

thanks
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I don't think so, actually dealers can make more money on financing than they can on a cash deal. Don't mention how you're paying until after you finalize a price.
    ah, makes sense, thanks!
    chatting online with a dealer now -- that is the best way to go!
    he's trying to push me on a new 2011, listed at the same price as an identical 2012 ...seems pretty silly
    Special deal for me is 1K off MSRP. I will push to do better.
    Another Q -- the Limited has the 9 speaker stereo, but not the HK. Wanted the HK, but they seem hard to find -- anyone know if its that much better than the 9-speaker one? Wondering if it's worth holding out for.
    thanks again
    You lose on resale.

Tell you you tend to trade every 3 years. Big difference in residuals, so you want that discount just to break-even. ;)
    another Q (thanks for this -- invaluable forum for a newbie like me) --
    when paying cash, will they take a check, or can i use my amex (after calling them to clear it) ...what's the best advice here? thanks again

my goal is to find a red 2.5i w pkg #09 All Weather, Moonroof, backup camera, H/K audio

as per this site :
    http://www.cars101.com/subaru/outback/outback2012.html#packages

but what do those prices mean exactly? Is it the cost to the dealer, so i need to be above, or what I should be sooting for? (seems to high in the first case, too low in the latter)

thx again!!
    Dealer may let you put a portion of the charge on your card, but not all of it. They pay a fee to the credit card companies.

Fitzgerald Subaru let me put $2000 on my card, the rest on a Cashier's Check.

I had 3% in Subaru bucks on a Chase Card, so that means $60 worth already from Subaru service and accessories. :shades:
    is the one im shooting for ...from Edmunds Total Price INV $29,200 / MSRP $31,215 / TMV $30,363
    dealer has it listed at around $31.6K (couple extras in there i guess, cargo nets)

so, I should shoot for $3k-4k off the MSRP, right? that's $27.6-$28.6

but then i have to add TTL? how much would I expect to pay for that? I saw this in a post earlier -- Tax & tags ($131); Acquisition ($895) probably too high; Doc, Lic & M ($334). But isn't Acquisition in the MSRP? (that's listed as $775 in cars101.com as 'destination', right?)

So then this TTL could be anything from 450-500 to +775 more?

And then there's the Gold warranty, right? so, 7/70 is that 7 years, 70K mi coverage, and I'd expect to pay another grand for that?

So, am I safe in assuming that my out-of-door cost should be that MSRP minus 3k-4K, plus TTL (450-1275?), plus $1k for gold coverage ....meaning allin, out of door $30K is a good price?

thanks for any and all help
    cheers
  • gtbdevsgtbdevs Posts: 19
    Update:

The dealer now couldn't find the above, they so offered us a 2012 3.6R Limited w/moonroof, for 31,500, which we accepted.

This one we pick up Monday.
    UPDATE
    I went to the dealership in Queens to test drive, then made an offer on a 2010 Graphite Grey Limited 2.5, w Moonroof, which they had listed at $31,569.
    http://www.koeppelsubaru.com/new/Subaru/2012-Subaru-Outback-bc878cef0a0a0065016a- 6bdf0860e3d2.htm

I took in a printout I created from www.truecar.com, which shows the best deals other regional dealerships are ofering for same car and told them if they match the best I'd buy on the spot.
    https://www.truecar.com/price-manager/21912/
    Lowest was $28,410, which said $2800 below sticker and $900 below factory invoice. The balked and said they'd seen those website printouts before and that they were bogus, best they could do was $500 off their sticker ...then let me walk (surprising.)

I think it might have to do with being in/near NYC, or maybe those other offers are bogus (turns out to be another car when you get there...) But many reports on this site of ppl getting $3k-4k below sticker, so I was a bit puzzled...

will run down those other cars from truecar printout ...
    If you can get 2-3% under invoice, that's great. I wouldn't get too stuck on a number because it is going to vary based on the specific car's MSRP. Invoice is generally 6% less than MSRP and dealer holdback is another 3%.
  • We just bought a 2.5 limited with sunroof for right at 30 out the door. They offered the warranty, and I said I'd pay 1k tops. They went down to 1099, but I said no, so no extra warranty (for now).