Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Outback Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    It's a cool service, if you can get it.

-juice
  • My optional equipment is everything except the hood protectors or roof racks.I asked about a rebate.He said he had not heard of one but would check.$500.00 is what I saw.The dealer quote on the road is $31,841.55 I have not brought up a trade in yet.Which is a 2002 Chevy Z28 Camaro 35th edition with 10,000 miles in excellent condition.On Edmunds or Kelly blue book trade in with excellent condition is around $21,500.What say ye?
    $32k is high, IMO. End of the model year had VDCs at fitzmall.com around $29k. I'd wait for a rebate.

-juice
  • Anyone heard of or done it?
  • raybearraybear Posts: 1,776
    It's done all the time.
  • interested in some comparison info.

bought base model '04 4/cyl, automatic trans w/updated security pkg $22,250 (price includes $1,000 rebate)

also any other options fit nice with the car?

thanks
    You can get them to do a little better, unless that's including a doc fee or other options.

Some people like the Omega remote starter or the Gentex mirror.
  • taomantaoman Posts: 14
    I've had my 2003 Outback base model, AWP with automatic for about 6 months now. The options I've got are upgraded security system, automatic dimming mirror with compass, tweeter kit, upgraded door speakers, trail or hitch, differential protector, and leather shift knob. The automatic dimming mirror makes a big difference for night driving. The tweeter kit makes a big difference in the stereo sound. In fact the only reason that I had the dealer upgrade the door speakers was that I bought the car for $1000 under invoice, and then had the dealer install a few additional options. The stock stereo with just the tweeter kit upgrade sounds great. The differential protector is inexpensive and gives me piece of mind. Enjoy your Outback. I won't go to a regular car again after owning the Outback.

taoman
  • dchobodchobo Posts: 2
    got a '04 subaru outback auto transmission, base model (2.5L engine) with security update option. Invoice is $22,828. Dealer gave me $100 below invoice. So after customer rebate of $1000, it's $21,728. This includes $550 destination charge. Additional charges are DMV fees (~$200), doc fee ($45), tire ($5) and of course CA sales tax (8.25% ouch! - about $1900).

I also bought $800 maintenance plan for 3 yr / 30,000 mi thinking that maintenance costs in CA is quite high.

How did I do? thanks.
    Congrats. Sounds good.

Around here, the 30k service alone is almost $600. Add up the oil changes and tire rotations and the pre-paid maintenance is worth it (in regions where service is expensive).

-juice
  • lmj213lmj213 Posts: 1
    We recently bought a 35th Anniversary Outback wagon from a dealership in Northern California. We negotiated the price down to $100 below invoice including options (Security system, auto dimming mirror, and tweeter kit). We also got the $500 Subaru rebate, so it came out to way below invoice price. We settled with the 3.9% 60 month term because there are no early payment penalties.

Overall, we had a good buying experience, but we had problems with the Finance Office hard selling all the "extras"-- as would be expected. We ended up going for the Prestige coating, which-- had I done it again-- I would NOT have gotten. It didn't seem to make that much of a difference. (Watch out for where they put the cost for the coating-- they put the $400 in the "accessories" category and shave a bit off their profits from the financing so that you're only paying $50 for it, but it left me very leary of their fuzzy math.) Definitely skip the "Gap" Insurance and the Extended Warranty as it will be likely covered by your insurance. Carefully read your contract and if anything doesn't look right, it probably isn't. Ask them to give you a few minutes alone to give you time to review all paperwork carefully before signing anything. If they're going to waste your time, waste theirs. If they're being pushy, you have more reason to be more careful. Even if they lower the price for some of the extras, it may be to your benefit to skip it because many features are covered in the warranty or with basic insurance.

Despite our ample warnings, we're extremely happy with our new car. All the extras that Subaru offers STANDARD on their vehicles gave us more of a reason to buy Subaru. The Subarus that we've seen have stood the test of time, even longer than some Hondas and Toyotas!

During the holidays we were able to fit 5 adults comfortably. We look forward to going up to the mountains this winter and taking advantage of all the cool features! Happy shopping!
  • dchobodchobo Posts: 2
    Re: post #41 - more info on my purchase:

I bought the '04 subaru outback at dealer in Redwood City, CA. Deal was quick due to new year's eve. Dealer just handed me a copy of his invoice including options and said price is $100 below invoice, plus you get $1000 rebate. We double checked data with our printout from Edmunds and invoice number is correct to the dollar. We didn't bargain, just negotiate to have $2000 put on credit card (their "policy" was $500 max). The dealer was also nice in that when we told him we may not get insurance in time, he said we can leave the car in the lot and take delivery later. He didn't try to sell 1 or 2-day car insurance like other dealers. (Anyways, we managed to get insurance the same day by calling them right away.)

Then, the finance lady tried to sell us extended warranty, maintenance plans and extras. But I guess she, too, was waiting to go to a new year's eve party, so not much pressure from her. We took so long to think about the warranty that she said OK, call me within 30 days if you want extended warranty (gold plus). She didn't even go to the coating / extras part - just asked us to think about it the next few days. We did buy the maintenance plan, however. Thinking back, I think that is also negotiable.

overall experience at redwood city seems better than at sunnyvale / san jose where we also test drove the subaru. Dealers there asked a lot of questions, i.e. getting to know you, asking your budget, your employment, saying things like "we can get you a good deal if you work with us..." etc.

This is my 2nd time buying a new car. Much better prepared this time round. 1st time round, I got cheated into buying a car alarm for my honda civic. Like #43, my advice is to watch out for the finance dept. Finding out invoice price and negotiating with dealer is only HALF the game. If I were to buy a new car a 3rd time, I would NOT add or buy anything at the finance stage (except the financing part, of course. But you should also make sure things like rebate is applied towards the down payment). If you aren't sure (their argument is always soooooo convincing), just say no no no. And if you really want additional plans, you can usually add them on later.

good luck, y'all!
    Congrats! Join our chat Thursday nights!

-juice
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    A reporter wants to interview Subaru Legacy and Outback owners. Please respond to Hakim@nytimes.com by Thursday noon Eastern Standard Time.
  • We are considering buying a 2004 Subaru Outback VDC 3.0L Sd Auto sedan. The lowest price we have been able to get is $28,331.00 after rebate.
    I have seen posted on this site, go for under
    invoice...I have talked to 3 dealerships and have
    yet to get under the invoice. What am I doing wrong. Does this $28,331 price seem way to high?
    The invoice is $28,928 including destination on a 2004.
    Price seems fair to me. Most of the ones I see cost around $29k after discounts.

-juice
    I'm showing $1000 rebate and $500 dealer cash if you don't take the low rate financing. If you take the rate you lose the $1000, but that price is too high in the current market.
  • OKay, raybear I will keep working on getting
    the price lower. We are paying cash and have
    only been offerered the $1000.00 rebate at 2 of
    the dealers and 2 others only mention the $500.
    I really hate this game. Wish me luck!
    You may want to consider the financing in lieu of rebate, it's 1.9% on 60 months now.

The easiest way to get pricing is right here on Edmunds; just submit a request to those dealers in your area and let them come back with a reply. Perhaps the market in your area is higher than it is here; maybe the dealers have low doc fees, I don't know.
  • Thats were I have gotten three of the prices
    and one I actually visited a dealership to see the car. Haven't driven it yet. Spoke to one on
    the phone and have gone back and forth via internet with the other two. They all have been
    pretty nice to deal with so far. We definately
    are not going to have payments, will go the cash
    route. At the one dealership I went to we could
    get the $500. rebate if we financed and they
    were offering 0.0 financing. They did not however offer the $1000.00 rebate. I'm located
    in the Sacramento, California area. Actaully
    I'm closer to Lake Tahoe. Anyway, thanks for the
    advise and I'm going to try and drive one this
    week-end. Does this car only take high octane
    gas? thanks again for you time raybear
    Premium fuel is recommended, but it only requires regualr. I read that it makes 212hp on 93 octane, 208hp on 87 octane, but most people won't feel the difference.

If you wait until after the Chicago auto show, the 2005 Outback will makes its debut, and discounts may be easier to find.

-juice
    If you take the financing there is no rebate. The $500 is dealer cash so it's up to them whether to offer it or not.

BTW, Edmunds is behind the curve in updating prices, and we've just had another increase announced. This may be the best time to buy.
  • Newton, NJ, Bought a base model, 5spd manual
    Paid $200 under invoice and got $1500 cash back
    Paid cash, no trade in. Dealer accepted my offer with no fuss.

rjl
  • I live in Bergen County New Jersey. I went to a Subaru dealer in West Nyack, NY. The following is the deal they gave me today for a 2004 Outback automatic transmission base model (2.5L engine).

INVOICE: $22881 (Edmunds says it is $21945, but there is a $70 regional adjustment after I typed in my zipcode)
    Dealers say that they need to add 2.2% profit over this INVOICE price. Thus, 2.2% x 22881 = $503.38.
    So, the base price is $23,384.38.
    Then, they gave me a rebate of $500 dollars. After that, another rebate (this rebate applies to people who would pay cash.) of $1500 was also applied.
    The total price is now $21,384.38.
    My questions are:
    1. Do New York area dealers have different INVOICES?
    2. Did people in Post #41 or #44 or #56 (you are from NJ) have to pay 2.2% of profit of invoice price. If no one paid this 2.2% profit, I will tell the dealer he should not do this crazy math to trick me and will also ask him to start pricing $100 - $200 under invoice price. It seems that there is a new rebate $1500 (if you pay cash?)plus another $500 rebate at this point. This $1500 rebate ends 2/2/2004. I would appreciate very much if any of you could give your opinion and help me with purchasing this car.
    Edmunds is woefully out of date on pricing. It appears we show 2003 cost figures on 2004 cars and it's about to get worse; we have a price increase on all incoming models.

There is a $1500 rebate for those who have their own or standard financing, plus $500 dealer cash. If you pay attention to this, you'll find you get a better deal than is described on our favorite automotive website anyway.
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    Hi Raybear - I sent a note to the Pricing guys asking them about the pricing data we show on the site. Thanks!
  • I used to live in vernon, so I am familiar with Salerno Duane Subaru in Newton (is Dave still there?) and Liberty Subaru in Oradell. In my opionion, why arent you buying from Liberty. Correct me if I am wrong, but their prices are always the lowest becasue they are a volume dealer.

Tom
    Just let me know if you need some invoices faxed over...
    I was offering the invoices to Sylvia, sorry.

Now on profit, that's up to the dealer. I go below invoice for some models and a little above on others.