Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Outback Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Subarus do not depreciate that quickly, so I would try to find a bargain on a left over 2004 (maybe too late now?) or wait until the 2006 models arrive and buy a 2005.

Check out Fitzmall.com, search the inventory and sort by price. They have Foresters starting around $18k, which is pretty affordable nowadays.

Average price in the US is $27k now!

-juice
  • Looking to replace my 1999 v70xc. What would be a good price for a 2005 LLBean? Any dealer recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Use fitzmall.com as a benchmark, they're in MD. Or use Van Bortel in NY (I don't know the URL).

Start there, see if the local dealer will match or beat it.

-juice
  • Two questions:

1. Anyone had experience with Mitchell Subaru in Connecticut?

2. How much have people been paying for Outback XT (not Limited) without many options? My wife and I have decided this is pretty much what we want (though we will test the Volvo v50 T5 AWD), but we decided that we are going to wait until we can get it for under invoice pricing (i.e. with manufacturer incentives). Our salesman claims that they can be very aggressive, particularly if the model/color combo we want is in stock, and he even hinted that if going below invoice is what it takes, they could do it. Should I believe him? I don't want to get stuck in a drawn-out negotiation only to become aware of strings and conditions not laid out in the first place. Does below invoice sound plausible?
    Try Van Bortel in NY for a reference point, they are no-haggle and you can get prices there and then ask them to beat it.

-juice
  • andrewkandrewk Posts: 59
    amosanon1, I bought my 2.5i (base w/MT) for $900 under invoice, though it took some time and effort. I found several dealers to go invoice and a couple willing to go lower with some enogociating. I made my purchase in Chicago, driving up from Indy to take delivery. Hope this helps!
  • 2005 Outback L.L. Bean 6,700 miles. It had been registered to the dealership, so I'll be the second owner.

The sales experience was good, at Continental Motors in Anchorage, Alaska.

My relative happiness with the price is largely impacted by the beating I took on my trade--a 2004 Volvo. But the dealership did as well by me as they could, I think. They aren't going to be missing any meals because of this deal, but they offered me a decent deal, so we're taking it.

To answer the question, the car was listed at $27,999. For an almost new Outback L.L. Bean in Alaska, that seems like a good price.

There was a 2005 Outback XT 5 speed with 50 miles on it at the same price. We decided on the automatic to maintain family harmony and hopefully maintain a better resale value and lower insurance costs. We'll see...
  • jajjaj Posts: 55
    Anyone with insight into why price sheets dealers are showing have both MSRP and invoice higher than what's given on Edmunds and KBB? (looking at the Outback 2.5i Limited)
  • lumbarlumbar Posts: 421
    $275 advertising fee? If that's the discrepancy, that's it.
    Yeah, for Alaska that is great. I've heard stories of people going to Seattle to get a decent deal. So you did fine.

6700 miles isn't even broken in yet.

jaj: are they including regional ad fees, maybe? Or are they higher across the board?

If the MSRP matches, I'd believe the KBB and Edmunds numbers. If prices went up, they should all have gone up, MSRP too.

-juice
  • I am looking to buy a base 2.5i 5-spd with mirror/compass and Willow Green exterior. I could not find one anywhere in my area in stock according to the subaru check inventory web site. The local dealer (Saint Paul, MN) has three silver units advertised at about 22,500 which is about what I would want to pay. Can I still expect to get to this price if it has to be ordered? Has anyone done this (ordered a low end outback and negotiated a good price)?

Thanks...
  • piperboy72, I would think a dealer would be more motivated to discount something sitting right on his lot than having to go through the time and hassle to order something; but I could be wrong.

I thought the silver was very sharp and would have preferred that. Instead, I settled on a white over silver.
  • Not sure if I posted this correctly:

The other day I saw a 2.5i (non Limited) with the larger XT wheels and leather?? I actually took a double take and looked over the car to make sure it was not a limited. This was possible, as the car was in a parking lot. I noticed it truly was a base model 2.5i (No sunroof, non matching door handles, etc). Is it possible to order this car with the larger wheels and leather? Does anyone think Subaru will offer incentives for the Outback anytime soon?

Thank you,

Matthew
  • Subaru has several VIP partners.

If you become a member of Leave No Trace (www.lnt.org) you can buy a new Subaru at invoice. Mmebership prices start at only $15. The down side is, you must be a LNT member for at least 6 months to qualify for the VIP program pricing.

I have purchased 3 Subarus through the VIP program. It's great! You are told to contact a specific individual at your local Subaru Dealer. He tells you to pick out a Subaru, shows you the invoice, and you pay the invoice price plus tax, license and documentation fees. No haggling. The only variable is the value of your trade-in. If you have no trade-in, you just drive away smiling.

-Jim

Jim
  • Subaru increased prices last fall. Edmunds is probbaly showing the 05 prices prior to the increase.

Jim
  • I saw you purchased your LL Bean at Grand Prix in Hicksville. How has your buying experience been? Would you mind disclosing your purchase price before tax and title? I have had the same experience as you. I liked Metric but their price is high. You can e-mail me if you'd prefer not to disclose it in a public forum. Thank you

bkramer
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    Sharing in the Forum benefits everyone - so I do hope this isn't kept just in email. That's why the Forums are here - for sharing.
  • Does anyone know if rebates will become available in the near future? Also, if I buy on the VIP program will I get the rebate as well? Can I get the low finance deal along with the VIP price? Just sent away for my VIP certificate today, and will be buying the L.L. Bean model in Champagne Gold. If people are paying less than invoice price without the VIP program what is the purpose of going through all the hassle of joining an organization and waiting 6 months to buy?
    VIP is good for models that are in demand, especially in regions where prices are higher.

You do keep the rebates. We used VIP for our Legacy.

But the best part was the red carpet treatment, you get their best salesperson and no nonsense.

-juice
  • jg1jg1 Posts: 1
    Subaru has different regions subaru of New England,

penn Jersey, southern atlantic... they are pass through fees, some have PZEV engines, destination and delivery charges can vary. ..

jg