Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Outback Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• I'm a Canadian living in Ontario, looking to purchase a Legacy Outback 2.5i 2007 in Michigan.
    Hoping to purchase new rather than used.
    What would a good price be and would I have to pay State sales tax?
  • mogul2mogul2 Posts: 14
    No, you don't have to pay MI taxes if you are registering the vehicle outside MI. Most 2007s are gone except for high end (LL Bean, XT) trim levels. Dealers are advertising invoice-$1000(rebate) on a 2008 2.5i already. If you are good at haggling, you should be able to get another $500-$1000 off.

Good luck!
  • Thanks for your information, would an all inclusive price of $k21 for an 07 Outback basic model be considered an ok deal.........seems a tad pricey?
  • mogul2mogul2 Posts: 14
    Well, in your case all inclusive is car price(incl dest) + documentation fee. So, $21K is pricey.
  • Where and who did you buy the car from that gave you the out the door price of $25,313 for 2008 outback 2.5i LTD w/VDC?

Your referral would be appreciated.
  • I purchased an 08 Outback Limited w/ VDC, Subwoofer, Remote Start and Armrest Ext. for just over 25,000 @ Valley Subaru - Longmont, Colorado. Internet Sales.
  • lrossnmlrossnm Posts: 36
    I purchased an '08 Outback LTD from Valley Subaru in Longmont, Co. I was happy with the deal and equipment. They were fair and helpful. Gave me a good trade-in on my '05 Outback. Instead of trucking it the 400 + miles to my home in New Mexico they had it driven here. It arrived with a cracked windshield and a chipped hood. They are working to get it fixed but the distance makes it a problem. I would purchase from them again but will have it trucked to NM.
  • Hey... what happened with your Outback? Did they fix it for you?
    Had a new windshield put in by a franchise replacement company and it was defective. Still waiting for a PPG window. Took the car to a body shop and they wanted $500 to repaint the hood. Neither myself or the dealer wanted that. Seeing another person this week ( called b7y the dealer ) to see if they can fix the chip. They told me Silver and Gold are hard to work on. Mine is Gold. Still waiting for the title paperwork from Valley Subaru. I am not impressed with their "after sale " performance.
    FXOFFROAD:

Another stupid thing they did was to put the temp tag (on the back window) with Scotch tape over a new tint job. Still have not got back to me on the best way to remove it without screwing up the tint. Got some off but the glue remained.

On the good side I love the car. Many improvements over my '05 Outback.
  • Is there much difference between the XT seats and the L.L. Bean seats. Does one have nicer leather than the other. The local Subaru dealer near me has neither in stock for me to see.
  • There is a 2007 Outback LL Bean w/ VDC for 22,300 in NJ that has 11,000 miles on it. It is a manufacturer demo vehicle and the manager told me the folks Subaru gives demo cars out to have to take good care of them otherwise they won't be eligible for future demo cars. Carfax looks fine but doesn't have any details for when it was a manf demo. Any thoughts on whether or not I should go for it? What specifically is a manufacturer demo car?
  • cptpltcptplt Posts: 1,075
    I got a 92 Legacy demo, its what they give the admin people at the factory (or HQ) to drive around in. they are supposedly very well looked after while with SOA. They are not abused unlike rentals or even dealer test cars. They usually keep it for about a year and then sell it to dealers. Had no problems with the one I got, had 10K on it when I got it and I sold it at 90K but its over 200K now according to the present owner.
  • Does anyone know what the new incentives for the Outback are starting this month???
    Now looking in NY state for my Outback2.5Ltd
  • go to subaru.com and click on Shopping tools > See special offers.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    With that many miles it has to be sold as used, at least in my state. The mileage limit for a demo is usually much lower, I think 5k or even less.
  • I'm trying to finalize a deal on a leased '08. Just wondering if my dealer is in the ballpark:
    This is for an Outback XT/VDC/Nav:

Manual- 36 mths = $465 + city tax
    39 mths = $455 + city tax

Automatic- add $20 to @ of the payments above

36 mth= .53 residual and .00170 MF

39 mth= .51 residual and .00170 MF
  • if you're not putting any cash down - it sounds about right..
  • Just been offered for $599 complete rust/interior/exterior protection with 10 and 5 year coverage with Auto Armor by ecp inc.
    Anyone have anything positive to say about the process??
  • cptpltcptplt Posts: 1,075
    never buy aftermarket "protection " packages. they aren't worth it and can void your factory warranty if not applied properly esp the rust protection (some packages will have them drill holes into sealed structures to spray the inside which isn't what the manufacturer wants and the undercoating can cause more problems than they help if not applied properly as they may trap moisture).The exterior stuff you can do with a once or twice a year wax job and a can of Scotchgard is as good as any of their interior stuff. Plus a lot of these things , at least for the rust warranty, require annual inspections, assuming the place to do it is still around in a few years.
    All in all, unless you want to help with the guys boat payment or send his kid to college, forget it, You are better off spending that money on a mechanical extended warranty.
  • My wife and I just completed a purchase on a new 2007 (the last one on the lot) Subaru Outback 2.5i. The added options (not our choice) were the shock sensor and the homelink mirror.

MSRP was $25801 including the $625 transport fee.
    Offered price: $22903 before rebate (included $500 discount for being a 2007)
    Rebate: ($1500)
    Price with rebate: $21,403
    Trade-in (1997 Outback Sport with 112k miles): ($2700)
    Documentation fee: $354 (this was high compared to other quotes)
    Mass. Tax: $935.15
    Take home price:$20,057.15.

We also qualified for 1.9% financing over 24 months.

Just for comparison, we had a take home price quote of $20,352.75 for a 2008 2.5i with no extras (MSRP of $25,440). We liked the color (Newport Blue with ivory interior for our yellow dog :blush: ) of the available 2007 better, otherwise I think the 2008's are a better deal.

The process was straightforward, honest, and actually pleasant! No high-sales pressure tactics. I highly recommend the dealer (Long Subaru in Webster, MA) and highly recommend getting quotes from multiple dealers through the internet.
  • I'm considering leasing an '08 Outback 2.5i Limited and would like some opinions as to what a fair monthly payment would be with the following terms.

MSRP $28,616
    36 months
    12k / year
    $0 Down payment

Teir 1 credit
    Michigan dealership

Nothing has been negotiated as of yet. Only inital salesperson contact and test drive complete. Competition should be a factor; similar vehicles exist in inventory at 3 local dealers.

I've surmised from other postings that there is $1,000 incentive on the vehicle and quite a bit (approx. $1,900) of differential between Invoice and sticker. Money rates seem to hover around 0.0019 and residual of 58%. But I really don't know if any of this accurate, that's the reason for the post.

Thanks for your consideration.
  • I, too, live in ON looking for either Subaru or Lexus. Somewhere on this thread, Van Bortel was recommended. They are in Rochester. I'm on the MI border, but the dealers I spoke with said they would charge MI State tax even if I was not registering it in MI.

Van Bortel has the "build" option, their internet person responded to say he's sellingl tons to Canadian, does not charge NY State tax.
  • I live near London On. and presently in the process of purchasing a Subaru Outback Ltd. from Van Bortel and can confirm there is no State sales tax for Canadians.They deal with many Canadians and handle all the neccessary paperwork, they are a no haggle business and their pricing seems pretty good!
    I was also looking at Mi dealers and was put off by the MI state sales taxes.
  • Ouch. I didn't do any tinting... though, I wish the sun roof had some.
  • This is an odd question... you have all the numbers, you can generate a monthly payment, so????
  • I guess what I was looking for was confirmation of whether or not the numbers I am working with are accurate. I really didn't find a forum post deatiling the terms for an identical vehicle. The numbers I gave in my original post were my best guesses from similar posts, like a different model vehicle or same model with a differing package.

So what I'm asking is -
    Is a money factor of 0.0019 accurate? Is MSRP for this vehicle really $1,900 over invoice? Is 'Invoice' a low enough price to pay? What are others being quoted or actually paying?

Thanks again.
  • I think you said 36months/36miles - zero down - 08 Limited depending on your options... seems like you should be somewhere roughly around $375-425 per month. That's just a guess.
  • Looking to buy an 08 xt manual, no other options. From what I can gather 28,500-29,000 is a good price (cash, no financing).

What do others think? Experiences?

Thanks.
  • Hi There,

You should be able to get $4000 under MSRP including the rebate. I just purchased an '08 3.0 LL Bean w/ Nav over the Thanksgiving weekend for $4400 under MSRP. Initially the dealer and I agreed on a $4k discount over the e-mail. I haggled more in-person and I got a free factory hitch (installed) in addition to the $4k discount. The hitch (installed) has an MSRP of $400. I also received an internet quote from another dealer for $4200 off MSRP for the same car, although they didn't have the color of choice that I wanted. My deal is also finance-free. Good luck on your XT purchase. :)