Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Outback Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• easypareasypar Member Posts: 191
    xwesx wrote; Yeah, that is lame given the likelihood of their being able to resell it (talk about padding the pockets!) to another buyer upgrading a Subaru from a basic mirror.

I thought that was the "basic" mirror, self-dimming with compass. Or is there actually one that doesn't have the compass? I don't know, I'm really asking.

easypar
  • biancarbiancar Member Posts: 965
    That is the basic mirror.
  • linas1linas1 Member Posts: 10
    2010 Outback 2.5i CVT Gold color
    Dealer installed options: Remote starter, fog lights, auto-dim mirror with compass, splash guards, front & rear all weather mats

$24,284 + Tax

Fort Collins, CO

What do you folks think? Is it a good deal?
  • linkfeeney3linkfeeney3 Member Posts: 19
    edited April 2010
    that's not bad...

I dont know what the dealer talking about DEALER INSTALLED option

they are pretty much come from factory.

I just put a deposit to get the outback premium edition with all weather package... whichis $25k. plus all those stupid tax and fees!
    edited April 2010
    Invoice:23,276
    Some discounte: -275
    Dealer installed options: 1,283.23 (See #2507)
    Total: 24,284.23

The sales person told me that Subaru has stopped production of 2010 models and has started production of 2011 models which will be sold beginning in July. So instead of installing these options at the factory, they will be installed at the dealership. The dealer didn't have the base model in stock so the sales person checked the central inventory and found some base models going to other dealers. The dealer will trade cars with the other dealers and get me the base model and then install the options.

I would like to know how much more would the premium model cost. If it is not significantly different I would rather buy that than adding options to the base.
    Is your dealer going to charge you for labor for putting the options in?
    The cost I mentioned above includes the labor charge for installation.
  • easypareasypar Member Posts: 191
    Actually most, if not all of those will be installed at the Denver distribution center (not sure about the remote starter) or the dealership.

Which dealer quoted you. Dellenbach never replied to my emails but everyone else, Boulder, Longmont, Greeley and Loveland replied within 24 hours. I ended up buying from Loveland (I live in Loveland) as they were within $50 of being the lowest.

The prices quoted on subaru dot com are INSTALLED prices, regardless of who/where installed.

easypar
    edited April 2010
    This is from the subaru website:
    + Accessory prices shown do not include installation costs. Actual price is set by the dealer and may differ by dealer based on local installation or labor costs. Prices, specifications, options, features and models are subject to change without notice.

From the website the options will cost $1,085, while the dealer installed them for me for 1,283.23 which includes parts and labor.

I compared dealers in Longmont, Fort Collins, Plano (TX), Denton(TX), Arlington
    (TX), Hurst(TX) and Delenbach at Fort Collins was cheapest.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,759
    For the Outback, the auto-dimming mirror is the base model, I think. But, for other models like Impreza and Forester, the basic model is still the manual one. They are all inter-compatible, so it is very reasonable to expect someone would want to upgrade from the manual one to an auto-dimming model with compass.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • skyiceskyice Member Posts: 21
    I live in Vancouver, Canada. I don't want to buy a car from any Canadian dealer as they generally charge AT LEAST 30% OR 7K more than US dealers. I asked the price quotes from different dealers in Seattle. One of them gave me a good price for 2.5i premium (see my previous post). The only problem is that I have to pay cash as any loan is not worthy. I wonder if I can ask more off the given price because I pay cash. The dealers told me that they even earn less if I pay cash than loaning. I am not quite sure if he lies to me. Is there anyone who can tell me if cash payment will make difference on the price?

Thanks
  • kermit75kermit75 Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone, I'm new to the board. I'm in the process of getting a OB 3.6 ltd with:
    - mats
    - auto-dimming mirror w/ homelink
    - rear bumper cover
    - splash guards
    - remote starter

I've negotiated but the best price I can get is $30857.44. This seems much more than what everyone else is paying. I'm in Seattle also so I don't know if that makes a difference. Also, I've been looking at truecar.com and edmunds and they all say that most people payed between invoice and MSRP (not below invoice).

If anyone could help or could give me some helpful advice, I would be more than grateful.

Kev.
    When I plugged those options into truecar, it shows that a "Great price" is anything below $30,971. This is without moonroof and NAV, right?

Looks like you got a a great price, by their definition. Is the car what you want? That's the most important thing.

As for me - I have decided to buy a Volvo V70, so the issue of having to replace a mirror is no longer on my worry list. ;-)
  • kermit75kermit75 Member Posts: 2
    Yes it's without moonroof and NAV. I assume that truecar is accurate?? I think that this is the car I want as it's one of the more affordable v6 in a SUV/crossover/wagon.

What about the "mirror" was wrong with the Subaru? Why did you decide on a V70?

Thanks so much for answering. Other comments appreciated.
    edited April 2010
    Truecar is probably as accurate as anything you'll find out there. It lags the market by two weeks, but there is a chart with the trend line and you can see where prices are going.

Re the Subaru mirror: there was one Outback 3.6 coming in that the dealer put on "reserve" for us (I have to go back now and tell him we won't be buying that), but it had the auto-dimming mirror that did not include Homelink. I would have had to pay $270-something to replace the mirror to get Homelink. When I asked about a "credit" against the original mirror, he said they don't do that, but they would give me that mirror which I could do with as I wanted - which would have been to sell it on E-bay or something. Kind of a nuisance. Not really a deal-breaker, but certainly a negative point.

It was a tough choice between the Subie and the Volvo. Both are safe and practical cars and would have met our needs. Some of the reasons I ended up with Volvo, in no particular order: seats fold completely flat. We will be transporting our dogs in their crates, plus luggage, etc., so this was a big plus. The back end of the Volvo, since it's more upright, gives more interior room than the Subie. The Homelink comes in the car in the packages I ordered; I wouldn't have had to mess around with replacing a brand-new part with another brand-new part. (Some Subies of course do come with the HL in it; this particular one did not.)

The Volvo felt more comfortable and had a more attractive interior.

It has front-wheel drive instead of four-wheel drive, and here in Virginia, not a snow-belt state, I felt FWD was preferable.

Mileage is similar between the two.

I liked the BLISS system on the Volvo (Blind Spot Information System). A yellow light on the side mirrors goes on if someone enters your blind spot. I live in the D.C. area where traffic moves fast; this seemed like a useful feature.

The V70 is going to be discontinued after this year; this means the dealers are ready to make some very favorable price cuts. The MSRP of the Volvo was higher than the Subie, but the sales price ended up being about the same either way. To me it seemed overall a better car for the money.

The load floor of the Volvo is a bit lower than the load floor of the Subie: I liked that and could imagine I would really appreciate that when loading up luggage, etc.

Handling seemed better, and it was quieter.

That's basically it; might have been a few more reasons but those are the things that were probably the most important factors.
  • lesterfreemanlesterfreeman Member Posts: 2
    I have been offered an extension of the warranty at cost ($800) by the dealer. Any thoughts? I have no idea how to price a warranty, but this seems reasonable? 4 more years and 40,000 more miles? Any rush to do this at close? Should I wait and see if the offer changes? Can I pick this up 3 years from now at a better price?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Usually I'd say wait, but that does seem like an extremely good price.

Is it offered by Subaru? Or some 3rd party?
    Also, what level of warranty is it and what deductible? If it is the Gold Plan with zero deductible and if you are strongly considering the extended warranty, I would jump on it now rather than wait as there is little chance of the price getting better.... ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • schnellesautoschnellesauto Member Posts: 59
    I looked at buying a new Outback, 3.6L with leather, hard to find, any ones on the lot were sold. The big negative was NO rear seat vents for A/C - Heat, which is inexcusable on a family car. Even my 2 door 2005 GTO has rear air vents for the backseat.
  • abchan1abchan1 Member Posts: 2
    Just traded in my 2001 Outback 3.0H LLBean for a 2010 Outback 3.6R. Here's the details:
    - Limited
    - Moonroof
    - Options package 2A (puddle lights, mud guards, rear bumper cover)
    - Homelink Auto-dimming mirror with compass
    - Media hub
    - All weather mats
    MSRP was $33,868
    Got it for $31,850 + tax/title. Seems reasonable according to truecars.com

I'm in the Southeast (north Florida). It had just come off the truck. Got the silver steel; had seen the azurite blue on the lot a few days back but it was sold the next day. Got a few hundred $ knocked off because I balked at the black interior of this one.

I decided to purchase from the dealer's stock rather than order one. Dealer said that orders starting April 12 will be for the 2011 model; shipped in mid-summer. I hope there aren't too many goodies that I'll miss for not waiting. But the 2.9% financing was a great deal for the 2010s.
    Congrats. Some people are having trouble even finding those.
    Yup. That configuration is close to what I wanted. But it hasn't come in yet, and now I've gone with a Volvo instead.

It was impossible to even find a 3.6 around here (Northern Virginia) to test drive. I was taking it on faith that I would probably like it better than a 2.5. They really can't keep those things in stock, they are so popular. And/or Subaru is not building enough to meet demand.
    They need to kick the Camry out of SIA and build just Outbacks on the 2nd assembly line.
  • abchan1abchan1 Member Posts: 2
    Up until the recent week or so, all the 3.6Rs here were customer orders(only 1 dealership in town, but quite a few within a 125-175 mile radius). I had 2 to choose from (same configuration) on the day I bought mine.

I was able to test drive the 3.6R back in ~February when a customer-ordered car came in. That pretty much convinced me. I had been deciding between the Outback and a CPO 2008 MDX (was still looking for the right one). But I'm an Outback gal (this is now my 3rd Outback/Legacy)!
    edited April 2010
    I was interested in the Outback until I test drove it. The 3.6 Boxer under hard throttle is not that refined, Know-where close to my wife's '07 Odyssey V6 which is far quieter at high rpm. Handling was so-so. Interior was so-so. The lack of rear seat A/C Vents was the final deal breaker. That is ridiculous in a family car. Went with an all wheel drive Infiniti (great deal, VPP, rebates) that was the same price out the door as the Outback.
  • britgeezerbritgeezer Member Posts: 95
    Its OK, not everyone likes the same car. We had an Infinity FX45 -one of the best cars we have ever owned (or should I say leased) in the dry or rain; but another story in snow - with the big wide tires and way to clever 4x4 it was hopeless, rumor has it the FX35 is a little better, the OB 3.6 certainly is.
    edited April 2010
    The new Outback is a nice car, I almost bought one.. The problem with your FX45 in the snow was most likely the all season stock tires. Most people blame the vehicle in the snow and most of the time it was their tires. You need dedicated snow tires to take the best advantage of any AWD system in the snow, than it would have been a far different story. Even the stock all season tires on the new outback (continentals) are not that great either.
    I do not understand your fascination with rear seat vents in a car this size. Floor vents, which it has, makes sense for heat into the foot wells, but air movement is more than sufficient to both heat and cool the rear seat space from the front vents alone. We may not be living in an enlightened age, but hey, at least we have choices! :sick:
    "I do not understand your fascination with rear seat vents in a car this size. Floor vents, which it has, makes sense for heat into the foot wells, but air movement is more than sufficient to both heat and cool the rear seat space from the front vents alone. We may not be living in an enlightened age, but hey, at least we have choices!"

Because most other cars in this size/class (family cars) have rear air vents, the only other I know that doesn't is the Accord which I had and it gets hot back there. I'm not the only one to have noticed/complained about this. I know a few people that would've bought this car till they found this out. Obviously if you don't put anyone back there, than not a big deal I suppose.
    I guess that should not surprise me, given the Jones mentality that is so prevalent. If Subaru were to always leave out the frivolous stuff like that in order to keep the car affordable while focusing on its engineering, well, I don't see how they could go wrong.
    Leaving out certain "frivolous" things though does indeed cost some sales. Things like folding side-view mirrors, rear air vents, even not having Homelink except as a special package, all those things begin to add up.

When people start comparing one car to another, a lot of little negatives can finally push a buyer toward something else with more positives in those little areas.
  • 43434343 Member Posts: 8
    2010 Outback 2.5i Premium
    Auto CVT trans
    All Weather Pkg
    Pop Equip Grp 1B = Auto dim mirror with homelink and sec syst shock sensor
    All wthr floor mats
    Rear bmpr cvr
    Moon roof
    harmon kardon stereo
    $26,418 before taxes,tags,license + $200 to get it from another dealer
    I agree, 100% actually, but let's keep the price perspective in mind - the FX starts over $43k.

Having said that they need to bring the folding mirrors back. Someone here already broke one.
    True, but I wasn't even thinking of the FX.

I ended up with the Volvo V70, for around $36,000. Very comparable in price to top-of-line Outback 3.6 Ltd, with all the packages as equal as possible. There were still more features on the Volvo that the Subie just couldn't offer - completely fold-flat seats, the folding side mirrors (which also have the Blind Spot Information System, and they dip to show the curb when you're in reverse), rear air circulation vents, height adjustment on the passenger side as well as on the driver side, etc.)

Not to hijack the Subaru thread here, because I do think the Outback is a great vehicle and clearly it's designed to appeal to a particular market. I'm just wondering if they need to re-think some of the cuts they made from previous editions (like the folding mirrors). If they can't offer them standard, at least have them in one of the trim packages so people can outfit their car as they would really like.
    Well, sort of.

The R Premium is $28,995. The base XC70 is $37,950 (that's the model with AWD).

I guess you didn't need AWD, but there's still about $9 grand difference or so between similar models. Maybe less if Volvo adds incentives.
    This car is exactly what I want. This price is $1000 cheaper than what I can get from a deale in Seattler. Their offer is $27,529 with all features you have. I am still bargaining the price. Thank you very much for your reference. Could you tell me where you got the quote from? I hope I can get it less than 26k in Seattle.
    :P
    By the time I added up all the options I wanted on the 3.6, it came to something slightly north of $34k. By the time Volvo subtracted their latest incentives, it came to around $36k. Yes, slightly more, but closer than what you would think looking at base prices only.
    edited April 2010
    4343 is showing a really great price at $543 under invoice before the transfer fee, bringing the total to $343 under invoice.

Skyice - I doubt you are going to find it less than $26,000, as that is $957 under invoice with those exact options. I'm sure you can get it for $26,657 ($300 under invoice) no-haggle (and no added fees) from Carter if you speak with their internet sales manager. I have purchased two cars from him at that price and both were smooth, enjoyable experiences. So, if you are at ~$500 over invoice right now, you can get a better price. This is nearing the end of the model year as well, so that should factor into your ability to negotiate. ;)
    Still no AWD, but I see your point. You got a good deal on that wagon. Congrats.
    Very much appreciated! xwesx,

Did you refer to Carter Subaru Shoreline in Seattle? Did you get the price you mentioned above for the same configuration as 4343 and I want? Also, do you know if I can get more discount if I pay cash?

As you may know that I need to import the car to Canada, Canadian Registrar of Imported Vehicles requires the installation of daylight system and electronic immobilization system before import. I wonder if Subaru outback has these features already. Do you know about it?

Sorry for too many question. :blush:

Thanks again.
    edited April 2010
    Yes, that is the dealership. The internet manager also runs the cars101.com site. I did not purchase a 2010 Outback. The first car I purchased was a 2008 Outback in September 2007 followed by a 2010 Forester in September 2009 - both were 300 under invoice, no additional fees, no haggle. I just tell him exactly what I want, give him a $500 deposit, and he sends me the paperwork. I complete it, send it back, and he sends me the car's MCO. After that, I get my plates from the local DMV and go pick up the car a few weeks later. The last car cost me $2500 less than purchasing locally... after the cost of driving it back up to Alaska! :shades:

The Outback comes with daytime running lights and a key immobilizer - I am not sure if that is the same as you mentioned.
    edited April 2010
    "I agree, 100% actually, but let's keep the price perspective in mind - the FX starts over $43k. Having said that they need to bring the folding mirrors back. Someone here already broke one."

There is a very good deal, VPP pricing plus rebates, so you can get nearly $7k off FX now, maybe $8k.

I didn't even notice the lack of side folding mirrors on the Outback. I thought that was a mandated law in USA? I know it is in Europe.
  • 43434343 Member Posts: 8
    I got the quote from a dealer in MO, but the price is being driven by a VIP pricing program available to me through my employer. I wasn't sure how much of an advantage I was getting by using it, and from the looks of things it isn't a lot from a money standpoint. The real benefit is that I don't have to haggle with the dealer. The VIP program gives the dealer specific direction on how to discount the vehicle. All I have had to do is keep the dealer honest by validating the invoice price and making sure I don't get spun into other stuff I don't need that helps him pad his margin.

My dilemma now is should I pull the trigger or wait for the 2011's to come out? I hear they will be available near the end of July but the dealer can't or won't confirm it. I also have an issue with all of my Yakima rack stuff not working with the OB's rack set-up. That may be the deal killer unless I can find a solution from Yakima. It appears Thule may have solved the problem but I can't confirm that Yak has.
    Thanks again, xmesx.

I have contacted Carter. Unfortunately, they don't sell car to Canadian due to so-called dealer agreement. It is a shame! But other dealers still can. So, I have to go bargaining the price with other dealers who want to sell a car to me. :(
  • simo1simo1 Member Posts: 2
    Interesting choice.I like the look of the new Volvos but not familiar with them at all.Isn't Volvo a Chinese brand now ? What are their plans for the company,are they still going to have new models? Where are their cars actually manufactured ?
    Geely just recently bought the company. The cars are manufactured in Sweden and will continue to be.

Geely plans to increase production but the engineering and manufacturing will still be with Volvo in Sweden.

I wondered what would happen when Ford bought Volvo. It brought some new development ideas to the company (the 3.2 engine in the V70 comes from the collaboration with Ford), but it certainly did not turn the company into a Swedish Ford.

In short, I'm not worried about Geely's ownership.
    What do you think of buying accessories at a website like www.subaruparts.com rather than at the dealership?
    The website says the accessories are from OEM. For example, all weather mats (front & rear) cost $60 atthe dealership but $44 from the website. I am thinking of buying cargo nets, cargo mat, and other accessories from www.subaruparts.com rather than from the dealer. The website also has remote engine starter, fog lamp kit, etc. but I don't know how to install them so I will stick with dealer for that.
  • simo1simo1 Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2010
    I bougt last week all season floor mats,hood deflector and mud guards.At first I have called the dealer and the prices have been indeed higher than online.But considering the shipping I went to the local dealer-Don Miller Subaru in Madison,Wi and told them that online I could get the same parts sceaper.What happened is that they gave my better prices so for the all season floor mats I have payd about $40 and picked them up from the dealersip in 3 days after ordering them .And thats durt chep.For my wifes 09 Honda Fit Zibrick Honda asked $90 and that is for the carpet floor mats !!! I wish I've got an impresa for her...
    Thanks simo1. I might take a printout of the accessories price list from an online store and will ask the dealer to match it.
  • bigfrank3bigfrank3 Member Posts: 426
    I have bought OEM Subaru accessories online a few times for the vehicles I have owned, finding it much cheaper than the dealer. Most recently for my 10 Forester I bought a bunch of stuff from subaruonlineparts.com. They were excellent to deal with and I had my parts in a couple of days, along with very good prices. Shipping works out pretty well when buying more than one thing. Good luck!