Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Outback Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• saldonsaldon Posts: 1
    I just moved back here from CA, where i had a wonderful Subaru tech and I tried to establish a relationship w/Wayne Sub so I could get my car serviced there regularly and I couln't get a return call either. Took e calls (I needed a part right away). I wasn't very impressed with them either.
    Anyone have a good Subaru tech (dealer or no) in Morris or Passaic county?
    thx
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    I know of a good place to get service, but I can't post it here :)

-mike
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Your house? :D

LOL
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Hmm if you ask my wife it IS my house, the amount of time I used to spend there :)

-mike
  • I have this same question: how do you determine what the "list price" is for the 7-year extended warranty? I haven't been able to find anything, through Subaru or Edmunds.

I'm looking at $1325 for mine. I've put a deposit down on the car (it had to be flat-bedded in from another city). I haven't finalized the sal yet, so I think I can still walk away from the warranty purchase if it's too much and still get the car.
  • Hi - What would be a right range to look for a 2008 Subaru Outback 3.0 LL Bean Edition ? I
  • cptpltcptplt Posts: 1,075
    lots of dealers will have the list price on their websites where they are touting the Added Security
  • Subaru is offering $1500 cash plus 0% apr on 08 Outbacks. Anyone know the length of loan terms that are being offered. (36,48,60?) I can't find that info. anywhere on their website.
    A bigger concern would be a dwindling selection. I would start shopping now. They'll probably renew the incentives, but they will run out of your favorite color/trim combo sooner.
  • I'm looking to buy a 2008 XT in the Denver market soon. I've been quoted 30,800 with the current rebate included (with: autostart, woofer, but no nav). Is this a good offer? What is the going rate?

js
  • Hi -

I was just quoted $26,500 for a 2009 2.5i, loaded but w/o nav - can anyone tell me if this is competitive? Looking to go to Subaru after hearing many good things, but trying to validate whether prices are reasonable.

Also, does anyone know if Subaru has a tiered money factor scale for leases, and if so what it would be for the the Alexandria, VA area? I'd also be interested in knowing the depreciation rate if possible for the 09 Outbacks.

Thanks in advance,

JD
    Go ahead and compare to no-haggle dealers like fitzmall.com, see if you can match or beat their prices. They're in the Mid Atlantic, but it's one of the regions with the best pricing, since there are 7 Subaru dealers in this area.

I think Van Bortel in NY also offers no-haggle pricing.

Both would serve as good reference points.
  • Hello,
    I'm just about to buy a 1995 Subaru Legacy L Wagon for $1200. It has 200k miles, and the only apparent problem is that the driveshaft is noisy (however I did not hear anything when I test drove it).. It is auto, a/c, cruise, pw and 4w drive.
    I'm only staying in the us for a year and want to sell it back before I leave.

Do you think it will be possible?
    How many miles do you think it still can go?

In short, do you think it worth it?

Thanks! :)
    Condition is everything at that age and mileage.

Turn the radio off and drive it with the windows open. If the drivetrain is truly quiet, and the engine leaks no oil, then go for it. You may want to get a mechanic to do a pressure test on the cylinders.
  • I just snagged an 08 Outback 2.5i LL Bean Limited with VDC and NAV for 25,500 at Planet Subaru in Hanover, MA it had under 100 miles on it and was considered used.. Subaru had set aside a number of LLB cars to be Exec Demo's. They were never deployed for use. Once they broke the marketing agreement with LLB, they could no longer use the cars are demo's (has something to due with advertising restrictions). Subaru then autioned these cars off to dealers. If you due a search on Yahoo Auto's for used 2008's you will see these at a few dealers with less the 200 miles (sort by mileage). Planet has another 08 Outback 2.5i LLB (non-limited = no leather, but does have NAV) for around 21K.
    Dealer was top notch also. I purchased the car over the phone from Europe. Wife and kids came into Logan and were met by the dealer. They took them to the dealership and they left 20 minutes later in the new car.
    Nice deal, those are loaded to the gills.

Congrats. Noone knows you bought it used except you.

Aren't those $28 grand or so usually?

100 miles? That's crazy!
  • I am considering leasing a 2008 outlook 2.5 limited. It has about 30 miles on it.

Total capitalized cost 27729 including dest charge, registartion, fees, and 900 of remaining payments on my current jeep lease
    39 months w 15000 miles/year
    $431/month including taxes

Good deal?
  • I'm looking at purchasing a Subaru Outback 2.5i SE (auto transmission). I've been quoted two prices (two different dealerships) of $21.3k and $21.9k plus title fees, etc. I also see in my local paper a 2.5i SE listed at $20.9k (and, at least based on the Subaru.com inventory checker, it still showing as in-stock).

My question is this: Is this a good deal? The dealer who is quoting me $21.9k e-mailed me the invoice sheet -- it shows the invoice as dated June 18, 2008, and the dealer cost as $24,472. I realize there exists a dealer holdback (3%), so would presume that on the $26,106 MSRP, the dealer holdback is $783.18 (26106*0.03). And, as there is a $1,500 incentive (at least according to the dealer -- can't find anything else anywhere), that would put the car at 24472-783.18-1500=$22,188.22.

While the car has been on the lot for over 6 months, it would (appear) this particular dealer is selling the car at a loss. If so, I'm a bit surprised however at the other dealer's quote of an even lower price (unless they can command a lower purchase price from Subaru). (The loss leader goes without saying.)

A few questions:
    1) Are there any other promotions going on from Subaru? (BTW - I live in Oregon)
    2) What's the average turnover rate on a Subaru? (6 months SEEMS like a LONG time)
    3) What are people's thoughts -- good, bad, or so-so deal?

I'm not in a rush to buy a new vehicle -- but I was thinking/hoping that as 2008 closes, the dealers would really go rock-bottom on their prices to make one more sale before year-end.

Thanks
  • Last week my husband purchased a 2004 Subaru Outback that was Certified Pre-Owned by a Subaru Certified Dealer.

After two days, I noticed a rust spot on the front hood of the car. Then, inspecting more closely, I saw that there were more rust spots which had been painted over (and they hadn't even done a very good job at it). They were at the bottom front of the car, so unless you were really looking for them, you wouldn't notice. Also, there was a patch of damage (about a quarter sized -- maybe hit a curb) around the same area that had been repaired with any sanding of the metal or anything).

So I checked the undercarriage and noticed more rust. For a car with only 37,000 miles, there shouldn't be this much rust unless...

We are very concerned that this might be a flood vehicle (It came from Georgia and we live in New York) But, as a certified used car, it came with a clean carfax report and they are supposed to do a 140 point inspection, etc etc...

However, I noticed something fishy. On the carfax and dealer documents, our car is listed as a Subaru Legacy Outback. But the car is a 2004 Outback 35th Anniversary Edition. Nowhere on the car is it labeled "Legacy". The car is not a Legacy right? Or were the models simply used interchangeably at that time??

HELP! We paid the blue book value on this car for a car in great shape, and assuming because it is certified and backed by the Subaru name, that we didn't have to worry about these things or have it checked out by our own mechanic. Is it possible this car is listed under a stolen VIN or title? Or some kind of mistake?

How should we approach the dealer?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,679
    All regular Outbacks (not the Outback Sport) are Legacys.. Whether labeled that way, or not...

The "Certified" cars basically come with an extended warranty. Does yours have a warranty? I'm not sure how much would be left... An '04 is a 5-yr-old car..

As far as rust on the under-carriage? I can't see it from here... but, most cars look pretty rusty under there... It's mostly surface rust, since the components aren't painted (generally).

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Call 800-SUBARU3 to speak to customer service. Sounds like a shoddy repair. The dealer may not have known about it if the previous owner did not disclose whatever damage they tried to cover up, and back then the paint looked OK.
  • I don't mean to be so matter of fact but, the only "mistake" seems to be buying a used car without thoroughly inspecting it for problems. Especially when you are paying Blue Book EXCELLENT condition prices. It's not Subaru's problem that you didn't inspect the used vehicle prior to purchase. If you had read the Blue Book description of EXCELLENT condition you would've noticed that it describes Excellent Condition as:

"Excellent" condition means that the vehicle looks new, is in excellent mechanical condition and needs no reconditioning. This vehicle has never had any paint or body work and is free of rust. The vehicle has a clean title history and will pass a smog and safety inspection. The engine compartment is clean, with no fluid leaks and is free of any wear or visible defects. The vehicle also has complete and verifiable service records. Less than 5% of all used vehicles fall into this category."

Notice that it says free of rust, never had any paint/body work, clean title history, Also note, it says less than 5% of all used vehicles fall into the Excellent catagory.

It is possible you had a vehicle that sustained flood damage. The only way you could tell is if the vehicle was totalled by the insurance company. Then their would be a Salvage title. The CarFax report is never going to tell you anything except when it has a Salvage Title. Total Loss is normally reached when the total cost of repairs reach 70% or more of the vehicle's value. Some flood damage could easily be fixed for a fraction of that. Point being, it could've been flood damaged but there is no way of ever proving it. In my opinion, you should've inspected the vehicle before buying it.
    Remember this is CPO. She paid more because Subaru was supposed to do that for her, a fair expectation IMHO.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,679
    I wonder if it's really certified... Does Subaru certify five-yr-old cars?

My local Chevy dealer has a sign on every used car that says certified... but, it doesn't mean anything...

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Good point. Coming from a dealership it means nothing. Coming from the manufacturer it certainly does.

If that CPO was a dealer claim, I'd go back to the dealer. Of course all they will do is try to get you to trade up to something else, perhaps offer you full KBB on your trade.
  • Thanks to those who offered advice opposed to insults (which really don't help us at all at this point, unfortunately.)

The car is actually CPO. Subaru certifies cars up to 6 years old, with certain specifications. And it is under warranty until June '10 (for powertrain and bumper to bumper).

Already spoke to Subaru about the problem who told us to approach the dealer and then return to Subaru customer service to make sure it was resolved to our satisfaction.

thanks!
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,461
    My local Chevy dealer has a sign on every used car that says certified... but, it doesn't mean anything...

Hehe, sure! They are certifying that it was owned by someone prior to it being on their lot! It is a certified pre-owned car! :P
    In that case, let's give them a chance to respond, but please keep us posted.

You pay more for a CPO to avoid this exact type of problem.
  • dad2bedad2be Posts: 57
    Any update on your price negotiations on the west coast? Here in the Northeast, Outbacks always seem to be available with some additional dealer incentives (above and beyond the holdback and customer rebates.)

Until recently, I had an '05 Outback 2.5i with 42k miles that has been a pleasure to own since we purchased it new in November 2004. It was unfortunately destroyed over the holiday and I'm now looking for a replacement. From my browsing on Fitzmall, it appears that an Automatic 2.5i SE with MSRP of 25901 can be had for 21677, which is right in between your two numbers. This would be the maximum I would pay. My local dealer, Becker Subaru, said they would match this price, but I'm going to get a few more quotes as well. I also am not sure what price to target since dealer incentives aren't easy to determine, but it doesn't hurt to get as many quotes as possible.

The insurance company gave us ~$14,100 for our '05 plus 6% tax and the doc fee, totaling just over $15,000 as the settlement. I'm happy that I get to upgrade to a brand new '09 model for just $6677 extra (maximum) plus tax and tags. Can't complaint too much about the depreciation during my 50 months of ownership. We only did oil changes, air filters, and tire rotations during that time.