Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Outback Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• chuck68516chuck68516 Posts: 195
    Heuberger Motors in Colorado Springs.
  • dog629dog629 Posts: 6
    To ttut,

Hope you're up for the drive from New England to Colorado.

Anyhow, sorry for being a smart [non-permissible content removed], ttut and chuck68516.

Picked up the new Outback today, put 80 miles on it (had 12 to start.) Went to the beach on Long Island Sound, had lunch, ran some errands, did some highway and city driving.

Well ........ Love the new car.

Happy to join the club.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    How far are you from MD?

For $1500 I'd do a road trip. Take a plane or train one way then drive back.

Fitz is the real deal. My family has purchased 5 Subarus from them, and we keep going back for a reason.

Service is pricey, but that won't even matter to you.
  • dog629dog629 Posts: 6
    Just checked Fitz Mall site.

Outback 2.5i Auto SE PZEV is going for $21,655.

I paid $21,600 here in CT.

Anyhow, to wrap this up, I'm thrilled with my new car. I'm pleased with what I paid, all things considered.

Best of luck to all those looking for a great deal. Keep us posted.
    You did well, then, no worries.

No haggle dealers don't necessarily have the rock bottom price, I'm sure the dealer next door will knock $1 off. What they offer is a hassle-free process, so you can focus on getting the right options, model, color, etc, and not worry about price.
  • nhstevenhsteve Posts: 78
    We are looking at what will be our 7th Subaru and wondering about the price we are being quited in NH

2009 2.5i Ltd, automatic
    Total cash price is $26,997 whcih includes the $2K discount.

Shall I keep looking around?

Thanks for any help.
  • stoopystoopy Posts: 105
    If the MSRP is $29,600 you should be at least around $23,600 minimum. There's at least another $500 under that. Personally, I'd wait to get a 2010 or wait another 2-3 months to get a 2009 that no one will want.

If you must buy now, the May incentives should be way better. With the re-designed 2010's hitting the lots the 2009's are gonna be hard to unload. If you wait until July you'll probably be able to get a 2009 Limited for $21K, maybe less.
    Thanks so much for taking time to reply and advise. I am not is a huge rush and have to sell another car first. I have a little time and will definately look at the May sales and may wait a little to see what happens as the 2010s roll out. I am more interested in getting a great price that having the 2010.

I have an "invoice" showing the following:

$28,495 MSRP
    $695 Transportation charge
    $29,190 total
    ($2000) April sale
    $26,997 delivered (must be that car dealership fuzzy math

Please explain to me how I wouold get them from $27K to $23,600.

Thanks again for your help.
  • rdyrdy Posts: 36
    nhsteve - this is way too much.

That is not an Invoice you are looking at.
    ( BTW MSRP always includes destination charge)

A dealer would love you to pay that. But you really don't need to.
    Never start at MSRP. Always start at Invoice.
    (research on this site for calculating true invoice by inputting package demographics of that particular vehicle)

That spec should have an invoice price of around 26k
    Less 2k manufacturer incentive (this is not dealership money - its Subaru $)
    Less holdback of around 774.00 (3% of total msrp - 28.5k)
    = $23225 + $695 destination
    Target price = $23920
    Ltd's are currently selling in the NW market for 23.5k

However, I would wait a while. Sometime soon Subaru are going to introduce additional customer and dealer rebate incentive to shift the 09's. This will give you more wiggle room. My guess is up to $750. If there is a model year end incentive for buyers, then you can bet there is a bigger one for dealers. Don't expect them to tell you, but if you know about it, then you can use it in negotiations.
    Thaks so much for your advice. It really appreicate it. I will do my best and let you know.
  • ttutttut Posts: 17
    Bought an Outback SE Auto today.

2009 Outback 2.5i Special Edition
    Automatic
    MSRP $25,790
    $21,8xx out of the door cost including fees and 5% tax.

The dealership is very nice. No push, low doc fees, no hidden fees.
    Congrats ttut. What dealership did you work with?
    To nhsteve,

A dealer close to Boston. I believe most of dealership can match that. If you need the name, can you give me your email? If you prefer a 09 Ltd, you may try to target a price $3000 more, which is close to rdy's suggestion. Good luck! :D
    Well the price quoted by rdy's was much lower for a 09 2.5i Ltd.
    Target price = $23920

Rdy, is this correct?
    Yes.
    First establish definitively the invoice $ number, and work back from there as described in my earlier post.
    Add your local taxes, title and destination charge and you get the target price.

There are always some nuances that can apply in all auto purchases particular to your local market supply / demand, floorplanning, time on lot, national inventory, local incentives etc but in the interests of keeping it simple, I suggest you aim for a target price.

Most people are not interested in the hard core pursuit of the last dollar on the table, and would rather avoid the uncomfortability it usually involves. I enjoy it.

The mantra for buying an 09 Outback at this time is:
    'Outback sales are down 37% from March 08 to March 09'
    Memorize it, and quote this incredibly powerful phrase often at the dealership. Your resistance to overpaying will be given more credibility.
    Thanks rdy.

Yes I agree that getting a good deal is part of the process and fun. I will do my homework and shop!
    Rdy:

According to my research, there are plenty of the exact model & color I want in the local area.

Ok here is what I see, does this look correct to you?

$26,644 Invoice according to this site
    $695 Transportation and Handeling charge (according to SoA, this is standard on all cars)
    ($2,000) discount
    $25,140 - target sale price
    add local fees

Did you realize that Outback sales are down 37% from March 08 to March 09? :)
    Take the train down to the DC area and buy from fitzmall.com, a no-haggle dealer. I'm sure they're discounting way more than just $2000 off. That price seems ridiculously high in this economy. It's actually optimistic even in a good economy.

There is a no-haggle dealer in NY also, though I forget the name.

Or try a buying service if you belong to a Credit Union or Costco.
    rdy's buying guidelines:
    Forget Credit Unions or Costco buying progs. The agent works for both sides of the deal. A classic case of conflict of interest. They get a fee from you and a kickback from the dealer. Would you hire an attorney to defend you, that also works for the prosecution? Nah. Anyone can do better than those guys in todays environment.
    Never finance with a dealership.
    Never go to a dealership without having identified the EXACT car and spec you want and it is sitting on their lot.
    Never trade in as part of the same deal. They are always separate negotiations.
    Always do your due diligence and research.
    Never answer closing questions...be non specific and vague
    Do not be bait and switched without knowing exactly the ramifications and consequences.
    Leasing CAN be good in todays environment, but that's a whole other complex topic requiring a lot of knowledge.
    Always be nice. Everyone has to make a living, but there are limits. Let the next guy through the door pay for the closers Hawaiian vacation. Its their job to maximize EVERY LAST DOLLAR from you and it's your job to get yourself a value driven deal you can live with.
    If you feel even a tiny bit of buyers remorse, then you probably didn't serve yourself well.

Invoice (your number) - 26644.00
    less 2k Subu incentive
    less 3% TOTAL msrp - 855.00
    Add destination 695.00

Target: $24,488.00
    + local tax title etc.
    Beware of the pack, NO dealer prep fee ad-on or other bogus fees allowed !

If you want to apply some pain, deduct the national average advertising charge of 350.00.
    Go to the F & I manager, and say:
    As you know the 2010's are piling up at the ports of entry as we speak, and Outback sales are down 37% from March 08 to March 09, so my OTD (out the door) offer is: (here you add in your local taxes etc then deduct $350.00'
    DO YOU WANT TO MAKE THIS SALE TODAY ?

They will say, 'That's impossible, you wouldn't expect us to lose money on this fine car !!! Prepare to walk and they will stop you before you get in your car.
    Remember, they do this every day, you do it once every 5 years.

Don't allow yourself to be phased. They are in the business of challenging your numbers and shaking your confidence. Always act with authority and confidence.
    It's only a car purchase not your daughters wedding. Car deals are like buses - there's always another one along in a minute. God gave us feet to walk away from car salesmen, so just do it.
    You are more likely to get your price if you go direct (via email or phone) to the Internet or Fleet manager. By bypassing the salesman, the dealership then doesn't have to pay that commission and that will give them extra room as their OTD cost is lowered.

rdy says - I would still wait and see what May brings. That car will still be unsold, it certainly won't be more $, and quite possibly, a nice amount lower.
    Good luck and enjoy it....its not a root canal.
    YMMV
    Thanks Rdy. I got a great price today form another local dealer ~$24K.

I'll keep looking as I cannot move on this before next week but I believe I found my guy. Thanks for your help.
  • u542u542 Posts: 11
    Looking to buy Outback SE in Chicago area,what would be the price I'm shooting for out the door.Thanks
    To nhsteve,

Congrats. You may try a little harder to get a price close to $23.5K. I think a Ltd should be < $3000 over a SE vehicle. Good luck! ;)
  • Hello, ttut, congratulations for the new outback, could you share the dealership? I am also in New England and looking for 09' Ltd outback. If you prefer to email me, my email is town_water@yahoo.com. Thanks so much.
    A message sent. Good luck!
  • mjk91383mjk91383 Posts: 2
    I'm in the process of working out a price on a 2009 2.5XT. The dealership I'm working with has offered me their available 2.5XT with Navigation for $30,145 OTD. They've offered to get me one without Navigation for $28,595 OTD. Both cars include Auto Dimming Mirror, Armrest Extension and Cargo Nets. They told me that those prices include their dealer fee ($395) and SC taxes ($300). For reference, the dealership that has the 2.5XT without Navigation on their lot told me that they wouldn't sell it for less than $28,911 plus taxes and fees.

I've been conversing with dealerships in GA, NC and SC over the past few weeks and this is the best deal that I've been able to work out. They're all pushing for a sale before the end of the month but I'm seriously thinking about waiting until the weekend to make my purchase to see what the May rebates look like. Should I go ahead and take one of the available offers or hold out until May? Is $28,595 OTD a pretty good deal on a 2.5XT?

I've found this forum to be very useful over the past couple of weeks and am looking forward to joining the Outback family.
  • morin2morin2 Posts: 399
    Is this the manual trans or auto trans? If the manual, then I think the deal is just ok, but if the auto, then this is a pretty good deal, IMO. The selection of XT's will not be as good as base models, so waiting is somewhat riskier, especially if this one meets all your needs. Nobody knows what May will bring for rebates - so its a gamble. What do you get for the $395 dealer fee? I bought my SE last month in MD and the dealer fee was $99. If you get something for that fee, like registration fees, free loaners, oil changes, etc, then you'd be getting something for it. At least ask. If its not on the lot & is being brought in, ask to make sure it isn't a demo or has more miles on it from test drives than you like.

Sorry - nobody can answer that question of take the deal or wait until next month's rebates because nobody knows - its all a guess. Where's that auto rebate crystal ball when you need it?
  • stoopystoopy Posts: 105
    "First establish definitively the invoice $ number, and work back from there as described in my earlier post.
    Add your local taxes, title and destination charge and you get the target price."

This may be a good plan in August after the cars have been on the lot for 2-3 months but is not advised in late April when they've been sitting, depreciating for 9 months. The only effective way to negotiate a great selling price is to get quotes from high volume dealers and once you have their absolute lowest price, let their competitor know about it. Forward them an email quote if you have to. They will beat it. Subaru pays the dealers per sale.
  • mjk91383mjk91383 Posts: 2
    Thanks for the response. I probably should have mentioned that both vehicles have the Automatic Transmission. I've actually already taken a look at the 2.5XT that would be brought in from a nearby dealer and am satisfied with the mileage.

You're not kidding about the lack of selection with the 2.5XT. I've only found a handful of them in my region and they're all similarly equipped. I have yet to come across one with the standard Manual Transmission.

I'd planned on purchasing one of the vehicles this weekend but the dealership is pushing for a sale before the end of the month. I'm assuming that the rebates will, at worst, remain at the same level for the month of May. I'm not exactly sure what all is included in with the $395 charge. They've described it as a "Doc/Dealer" fee and nothing else. For what it's worth, I've received four quotes from dealerships with identical fees. Not sure if it matters but all four dealerships were in the Atlanta area.

The 2.5XT with Navigation is within my price range but I don't know enough about the Subaru navigation system to justify the price difference. The reviews that I've come across for it have been mixed at best.
  • morin2morin2 Posts: 399
    I have mixed feelings about the Nav. First, its a pricey option and second, I'm not sure I'd need it enough to justify the cost. If I was still travelling to a new distant travel select soccer field every weekend, then I'd consider it.

I don't think the dealers have a clue about where the rebates are going for May. I wasn't willing to roll the dice last month when I bought my Outback. I have seen rebates disappear and re-appear with little apparent logic. When we bought my wife's Forester in March 2007, the rebate continued unchanged through April but then I think it disappeared in May - when there were still plenty of 07's on the lots and logically, the rebate should have continued. I remember thinking that it make little sense. Of course, every time is different and this is a climate of low sales coupled with a new model introduction, so really, who knows? If the dealers knew, they would be incapable of keeping it secret - and it would be counterproductive to selling inventory. The $2K rebate combined with 2.9% financing is a sweet deal. Usually, you have to pick the rebate OR the low rate, but this is combined.

Sounds like your doc/dealer fee is the usual extra profit casually tacked on at the end of the deal - sometimes its unavoidable because the extra profit appears to be part of the deal, allowing them to advertise a lower sales price, only to make up for it in the end by adding in the small-print doc fee.

It makes little difference what we would do - you have to go with your gut! Good luck!
    That Navi option is overpriced IMHO.

Note that for 2010 they're packaging it with premium sound and a backup camera - all for the same cost.

Now at least it's debatable, probably even worth it.