Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Outback Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,455
    If they haven't done the window etching than don't get it. You should pay no more than $25 for it and with all the problems you've had it should be comped anyway. the etching is one of the overpriced add-ons dealers rip folks off with. Your 2010 outback is not on the most likely to be stolen list anyway. Far from it so save your money or donate it to charity.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I hope you have other dealers near you. I'd go somewhere else from now on.
  • dp232dp232 Posts: 2
    I did get the dealer to refund the window etching fee, thanks. I had already refused all other dealer add ons previously.

This is our first Subie. The reason I took the local dealer was for ease of service, and their acceptance of Costco auto buying program, but will go there only for potential warranty problems. I will use trusted independent shops for " routine" maintenance.

If we experience problems with the car in the first 5 years or 50,000 miles, it will be our last Subie. Hopefully it's winter driving virtues will win our loyalty. So far, we like it's size,ride,turning radius, and most features.We wish it had a memory seat and folding mirrors, though.

We also own a Dodge Grand Caravan AWD which has been very practical and reliable, but did not want to have two large vans, as Toyoya Siena AWD was other choice instead of Subie. I also did not want a sunroof as we never use it. If I want sun, I take our Sebring convertible [ also reliable so far ]. I spent the money instead on puddle lights, interior illumination, trailer hitch,mud gards,4 sensor back up system, homelink mirror, rear bumper cover, and bumper edge guards. I then added door edge guards from AutoZone on my own.

Since I had waited so long, the dealer did not charge labor for installing the options, and SOA paid half the cost of options as goodwill jesture for watching other vehicles ordered after ours be built and arrive when they could not give me a date of manufacture.So, My only problem was flubbed delivery so far.

We are impressed with the perfromance of the 3.6 engine.
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,455
    Looks like the dealer stepped up. People really bad mouth dodge mini vans but the fact is 80-90% give long reliable service. If you need another -- look at the 09 routan. 10k off msrp.
  • 204meca204meca Posts: 366
    Thanks for all the good feedback on the SOA financing. Heres hoping they still have a really good financing rate in December! :D
  • bob_b1bob_b1 Posts: 29
    I would like to share this very present buying experience.
    Dealership:
    Liberty Subaru
    1000 E Park Ave (RT.176), Libertyville, IL 60048
    I have started with a simple internet quote. I submitted a quote for OB Premium CVT AWP Graphite grey. Got quoted very reasonable price $24440 (MSRP 26490).
    Went in last week to test drive the car and after brief negotiation the salesperson got the price down by additional $100. I would like to mention his name but not sure if that would violate the rules of this forum.
    Over the last seven week I have had few conversations with salesperson and finally decided today to pull the trigger. The final price was $24178 (with destination).
    I must say that there was absolutely no pressure tactic by any of the guys there.

The only negative thing was that the regular finance guy was on vacation and I was stuck with some temp idiot who made me wait about 1 or so for him. He did not care about anything since he was only tamping there and today was his last day. Trying to buy extended warranty was almost impossible, I will contact them back on Monday to see about warranty and all season mats. Not really dealership fault for getting this guy for this week.

The price brake down was:
    PRICE $24,176
    DOC FEE $152
    Registration $169
    Tax $1,705
    Total $26,202

Hope this helps.
    I would need help with pricing on Extended Warranty. If somebody has something to share please let me know.
    I will post some pictures tomorrow.
    Thanks
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Posts: 1,207
    Bob -

I had very low on Subaru's Gold Plus extended warranty
    I paid $1,200 on 7-yr / 100k mi / ded $100
    New car owner can spread out in 10 credit card payments.
    You click my name to email me for more info.
    I have decided to contact few dealers around my area. to see the about warranty. But not sure where to start. Do you talk to their financial department or somebody else.
  • chipkchipk Posts: 7
    Yes, the F&I (Finance and Insurance) person is the one to speak with. You might also consider contacting dealers in other parts of the country and sampling their prices.

When I purchased my ext warranty for another vehicle, I found (thru these forums) dealerships who sold warranties in volume and I saved 40% over what my local dealer wanted. Handled the entire deal over the net!

In fact, if you get a good price somewhere else, you might take that number back to you local shop and see if they'll match it...

Chip
    can you please name some dealers that sell warranties in volume, or Chip can you give me the name of dealer that you use.
    i just got off the phone with a dealership
    they offer warranties at great prices
    they are advertising on eBay as well
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Genuine-Subaru-Factory-Extended-Warranty-All-Mode- ls_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3a4c9ebc8aQQitemZ250393574538QQptZAutomotiveQ5fSer- vices

if anybody knows anything about his let me know.
    I got quoted 7yr 70k $100 deductible for $995 for outback premium 2.5i CVT
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    That's a great price, go for it.
    bigdadi118
    I have emailed you but not sure if you have received my email. Can you please give me the dealership name.
    Thanks
  • $1050 off invoice, plus TTL
    It this price OK? South California.
    need_a_outback
    $1050 off invoice can be OK only if dealer does not charge you some ridiculous fees or destination. Ask about out the door price.
    I have wrote about my experience buying Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i CVT with AWP.
    I will post the same info again
    Liberty Auto Group
    MSRP $26490
    PRICE PAID $24,176 (thisi is $985 under invoice)
    DOC FEE $152 (this is standard for most dealers)
    Registration $169 (registration depends state where you live and if
    you need new license plates)
    Tax $1,705 (Lake County In Illinois charges 7%)
    Total (OTD) $26,202
    I had very present experience dealing with their sales department. Except Finance Department that wanted some ridiculous amount for extended warranty. This is something you can get from other Subaru dealers and save hundreds.
    I am still looking for extended warranty 7year-100K (the best price i got is 1300 with 100 deductible)
    The best thing is to get some quotes over the internet make sure you include your phone number. They will call you back and possibly knock few hundred dollars more.
    Hope this helps.
  • Hi bob_b1,

Thanks for your information.

I THOUGHT $1050 off invoice is a reasonable price, because a previous post mentioned dealer's true cost of a vehicle is at least ~$1100 off invoice.

Now I am not sure how is the quote I got.

Following is detail about the quote
    MRSP $26822
    Invoice $25179
    Paid price $24129 ($1050 off invoice)
    OTD $26,702.85 (tax rate 8.75%)

I want to get a 'good' deal not only a 'ok' deal. How much more I need to cut down?

Thanks,
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,687
    $1050 under invoice is a great deal! As Bob was saying, though, just be sure there are not other fees tacked on that erode the bottom line.

From the numbers you listed, it looks like you are paying over $400 for something other than taxes. I imagine some of that is the title/registration fee.... what is the rest? Still, you are walking out the door paying less than MSRP even after taxes and title. At a tax rate of 8.75%, that's a pretty good deal. ;)
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • Hi xwesx,

This TTL I get from www.DMV.ca.gov is $2476, and the dealer asks for $2573.
    What the extra $97 for? Something like documentation fee?

And, how do you guys feel about 2.5 basic and 2.5 premium? I choose premium mainly because its 17' wheels.
    Yes, I suspect that is a documentation fee. From what I have seen though, $97 is actually not a very large doc fee.

I have not researched the Outback enough to make a recommendation on the basic vs. premium.
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • I am trying $1500 off invoice from another dealership, for premium with AWP/powered moonroof.

I think the reduction I am asking may be TOO much for them. Trying to approach the bottom line. Will post this story here.

Thanks guys.
    Good luck with $1500 under invoice.
    I have contacted over 30 dealers over the last month or so and to be honest with you the best deal I got was around $950 under invoice, and I almost lost that deal because the manager tough that internet manager screwed up and they almost refused to honor the price.
    I think the price of 1050 under invoice is a more than good price at this moment. Not sure what will happen in the next few months but I assume nothing since they are selling Outback like crazy.
    Let me know how you did.
    I agree. $1050 under invoice is a great price. Add the $97 doc fee and you are still $950 under invoice.

If you do shoot for $1500 under, I guarantee you will find the bottom; I bet you are almost there, if not there already. ;)
    I must share this quote with everybody!!!
    This is after Gerald Subaru | KIA of Naperville IL realized I am going somewhere else to by the car they offered this price
    Here are your vehicle details:

Your Vehicle: 2010 Subaru Outback Premium
    Color: Silver Steel Metallic
    Included Vehicle Features: All weather package
    MSRP: $26,490
    Your Special Internet Price: $23,214*
    Black Friday Sale!!!

*Price does not include destination, taxes, license, title, doc fee, of any dealer added accessories, if any. Price includes all applicable Subaru/KIA rebates. Extra fees are applied for a vehicle not in our inventory.

I am not sure what would be OTD price, and if they have any fees to make up any money.
    but if the fees are the same as my previous post this is around $300 less.
    Something to consider.
  • easypareasypar ColoradoPosts: 187
    *Price does not include destination. Hmmm, that might be a problem, destination is listed at $695 (I'm guessing it's the same everywhere except AK and HI. I'd make sure the quote is apples and apples with other dealers.

Two dealers told me that "all Subaru dealers in this state charge the same, $379, doc fee". Except two that shot me low quotes put their doc fee as $499. I had to go back and have several requote me TOTAL, except for ALL TAXES AND GOVERNMENT FEES.

good luck

easypar
  • Again, how do you guys feel about 2.5 base mode and 2.5 premium?
    There is $1500~$1600 difference for OTD.
    received more info

Destination:  $695
    Document fee:  $151.65
    Plates:  $169 (New) or $106 (transfer)

OT Prem. w/ AWP MSRP $26,490.00
    Price $23,214.00
    Destination $695.00
    Document fee $151.65
    Sub Total $24,060.65
    With Tax 7% $25,744.90
    Plates $169.00
    Total OTD $25,913.90

What it looks like, I could have saved additional $285. But I got the color I want Graphite gray. It was almost impossible to find Outback in this color with only AWP.
    Overall great deal.
    Just to mention, for all people that are looking to buy a car, you should do this before the Jan 1st, to get the TAX Credit. Basically you will be getting all the tax money back. This will save you a lot of money.
  • Hmm, will everyone get the Tax credit? I recall it had a max and min income limit. I bet that its subject to the normal tax capping rules and AMT, so not everyone will benefit. I agree that its worth everyone running the numbers to find out.

My order is placed, but unlikely to get delivered before the end of the year. I'm just lucky that way....
  • morin2morin2 Posts: 399
    It is not a tax CREDIT. It is a deduction - so you will save only the % at your top rate. If your top rate is 25%, then you will save 25% of the sales tax that you paid on a new car before Dec. 31.

Many people confuse tax credits with deductions.

Regardless, if you were planning to buy, its still worth buying now rather than in Jan or Feb. if you can get a good deal. The savings is not substantial enough to buy a bad deal.
  • morin2morin2 Posts: 399
    http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=204519,00.html

There are income limits, etc. Pretty simple deduction.
  • easypareasypar ColoradoPosts: 187
    Actually I'd say you got a pretty good price. That much, $2581, off of MSRP on a "mid-level" equipped unit, on a car that is supposedly in short supply sounds good.

easypar