Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Outback Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• hoshianhoshian Posts: 1
    edited February 2010
    2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium w/All-Weather Pkg, splash guards, auto dimming mirror w/ compass, cargo net
    MSRP $27,170
    Invoice $25,188
    OTD price $25,557 (includes SC sales tax $300, registration $30, doc fee $489)
    I'm essentially paying $39 above invoice before tax and registration
    The inventories around where I live are non-existent. Anywhere from 3 to 9 outbacks on the lots. Only one dealer in my area. I'm driving 3 hrs to get the one I want at this price.
    Is the deal any good?
  • linkfeeney3linkfeeney3 Posts: 19
    edited February 2010
    good day to all

My wife and I have been looking at the legacy and outback

we like the outback 3.6 R premium... its going to be my wife's car.
    we drove it, CVT is too boring and had absolutely no torque!!

we test drove the legacy h-6 and it sure can MOVE!! OH YEAH!!
    so I'm sure the outback h-6 is going to be nice too... but the dealer didn't have it in stock

the car comes out at $29690... how much do you guys think I can get it off for?

I looked at the 2.5i premium, add the cvt and the all weather package... it was like $27K!! Unreal!!

F the MPG!!! Lets put more in more ponies and fly like the wind!!
  • godeacsgodeacs Posts: 481
    Good but can do better. Go to truecar.com and plug in the numbers. A "good price" is about $50 under invoice, a "great price" is approx $500 under invoice. Considering your location and scarcity of inventory and dealers you may be stuck. Even at that price you are doing OK..... :)
  • nikki1nikki1 Posts: 10
    Hello SC-
    Doc fee $489.00 (that is crazy) .. you need to check with your local state DMV to see the acutal cost would be.. for mine in Texas, was $125.00. (from other posting. , they say the doc fee is pure profit for the dealer).
    Offer then that. it is some close .. you can check my prior post, i had posted consumer report base line price.
    btw.. i bought my 7yr/100k NO deductable coverage for 1461.00

goodluck.
    vu
  • I am waiting for dealers to try to charge me for the following:

Fluorescent Light Fee
    Glass Fee
    Bathroom Fee
    Pen and Paper Fee
    Oxygen Fee

Any time a dealer says "our document fee is ...." I say "I won't pay that because I know it is b.s." No dealer has ever refuted that fact and I have never paid a document fee.
  • morin2morin2 Posts: 399
    Excellent. I have paid small doc fees ($99 - 125) - but I insist that we revisit the contract and subtract the same amount from the negotiated price "before doc", so the OTD price remains the same.

They could charge me a coffee fee - I do swill it down and it helps my negotiation stamina.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Here in MD I think those are limited to under $100, so most dealers charge $99.
  • pf2001pf2001 Posts: 110
    Hi folks,

We had an Outback H6 but gave it to my mother inlaw. We are looking at the Legacy H6 Limited. I received a price for 26,958 (excluding taxes and tags). Good price?
    What year? That price seems way too low for a new one.
    edited February 2010
    Sorry about that. It's a 10. I checked it with truecar and it shows as good price. They would have to order it....
    Well the deal has my blessing. ;)
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,686
    Hahahah; and, there you have it! Run, do not walk, to buy that car! :P
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
    LOL, thanks guys.
    I guess it's that the Legacy is priced so much lower than the Outback.

Honestly, I expected someone to pop in and say it would be in the $30s.

The 3.6R costs less than the GT, right?
    Yes, the Legacy is priced lower than the OB. I would have gone with the OB but they do not come in a sedan any more. I know the Legacy and OB are the same but I like the clearance of the OB.

Yes, the GT cost more.
  • Well, after a long wait (ordered November) yesterday we finally picked up our 2010 OB 3.6R Limited with sun roof. Very happy with it so far .. 200 miles.

Purchased from Suburban Subaru in CT, why? because the price was better than in NJ. I have to say apart from the wait, (ours was a custom order from any dealer in the northeast), this dealership made the transaction simple and painless, especially the pick up process.
    Congrats. Those are hard to find! :shades:
  • Having taken deliver of my OB I started looking at extended warranties, can I ask you the obvious question.

You now have a 7/100K no deductible warranty, the car came with 3/36K, so when the dealer mentions 5 years or 7 years for his price its really for the extra 2 or 4 years - is that right? Or does it cover something the OEM warranty doesn't?

I just want to be sure I calculate the different options and offers correctly.

Did you check out any of the dealer offers available via eBay?
    That's right; the extended warranty only extends the factory warranty to the later dates, but the calculation remains from the original service date. So, for the 7/100 gold warranty, that's seven years from the original service date or 100,000 miles.
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • curvecurve Posts: 20
    A dealer is telling me that a 2.5i LTD with option 08 (Nav+sunroof) has an invoice price of $30,131. I come up with $28,767. The difference is quite high. He argues that his quote is at cost and that NE distributors is different from Subaru of N.A. Then he explains that PZEV is "approximately" $500 (I think it's more like $300 and an option in MA, not mandatory). "Edmunds tends to be a little off".

All other accessories were priced (correctly) at invoice.
    The made-to-order will take 12 weeks to deliver.

Any comments from the experts out there?

He agreed to sell at "invoice price". The doc fee is under $300. My goal is invoice minus doc fee.

Thanks.
    You are correct about the cost of PZEV, and I think SoNE prices are a couple hundred higher, but that does not add up to the $1400 or so difference.

He must be adding other fees, maybe advertising or processing?

This is why I usually ask for out-the-door prices. I ask them to include even state tax, and fees for tags.
    The three times I have purchased new Subaru vehicles, Edmunds invoice is spot-on. I strongly suspect this dealer is "a little off." ;)
  • curvecurve Posts: 20
    Correction:
    PZEV is mandatory in MA

So should I add $300+ to the invoice price to be fair?
    Yeah, I think it was just over, $308 IIRC? That may have been for the Forester, though.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 31,164
    Subaru does sell their cars through a distributor in the Northeast.. similar to how Toyota does it in the Southeast and Gulf States...

I have no idea what the extra costs are, but as an example... a Toyota in the Southeast can cost the dealer upwards of $1000 more than in other parts of the country..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• psdxohpsdxoh Posts: 4
    For a 2010 Outback 2.5 Premium CVT I paid $650 below dealer invoice, plus the $250 dealer documentation fee and sales tax
  • nickc3nickc3 Posts: 13
    WHERE did you get this deal ($650 under invoice). I'm in Northern NJ.
    Great deal indeed, congrats.
  • how much would you offer the dealer for a 27-28K MSRP sticker on a new 2010 Outback?
  • I want to get a feel for how low the dealer will come off the msrp. I have 2000 from one dealer off msrp on the 2.5 outback premium with all weather package. can they go lower?