Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Outback Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• this is exactly the problem that I have been running into. I want an '09 Special Edition with auto. Used the Consumes Report method which is slightly lower than TMV. Two problems, i can not find out what the heck everyone is talking about regarding the rebates of $1500, and the second problem is that no matter whom I use, even carsdirect.com, whenever i request a specific quote, i get a call back or message that says "C'mon down" ie- no internet offers, come in so I can steal your gold teeth! Is it something bout New York? (I am just above the city -NYC- line. Any advice or tips? Am willing to travel a bit, but a;already got two bait and switch offers from upstate NY dealers before i decided to go with a new model.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Rebates can vary by region and even state to state. That may explain it.
  • Is that price ($5,100 below MSRP) including freight ($695)?

I'm finding Outback SEs locally for about 15% below MSRP incl. freight ... $26,028 MSRP for $23,088 including freight and $289 dealer fees and taxes, or about $24,310 out the door.

Outback Limiteds are ~$29,338 MSPR, selling at $25,698 including freight, or about $27,026 including taxes & dealer fees.

This dealer is not participating in the $1,500 rebate as far as I can tell.
    These are well below TMV prices and about $500 below prices a few months ago.

But I'm also thinking that deals not depending on the rebate are not going to be much worse in May than early March, I don't see the economy turning around in the next 60 days.

Tough time to choose whether to stick with my'01 Audi A6 wagon w/ 99k on it for another year or 2 (wait for an Outback diesel?), or buy while the deal is good.

Mainly I'm annoyed at the huge premium charged for the Ltd. over the SE for things I don't care about when I really am interested in leather & dual zone AC only. No a la carte ordering ... puh.
  • Yes, it included freight ...

Like you, all we really wanted beyond the SE was leather and dula zone AC. Didn't care about other things.

We debated waiting on the Diesel. Obviously, you know our decision! No regrets.

Good luck!
  • Responding to prior posts about really wanting an SE plus leather and dual zone, I was in a similar position but only cared about the leather. The dealer offered this as an after-manufacturer service. Price started at $1300 but they gave it to me for lower than that. I couldn't take the car that day obviously, but a week later and I now have our SE with leather without having to pay the extra $$$ for the Limited options I did not want, like moonroof etc.

Maybe you both should inquire with your local dealers about adding leather to an SE. Good luck.
  • interesting idea, but dual zone climate is equally important so leather alone wouldn't really help/be worth it for me ... but you're right, a good upholstery shop (good is the key word) could do it, you just have to hope they use good leather and know what they're doing (Audi leather, for ex., is very high quality stuff, at least it was in the '98 and '01 I've had/have).
  • dlhansondlhanson Posts: 6
    2009 Outback 2.5i Model 9DB (automatic) has an invoice price of $22,627 (including destination fee).
    I am a member of the IMBA so I can use the Subaru VIP program which I understand gives a 2% discount off of invoice plus no additional fees (except tax and title). 2% is about $450 so the dealer should charge me about $22,175.

There is a new $2000 cash rebate to the customer. So I should be able to write a check to the dealer for $20,175.(plus TTL)

Two questions, do these calculations sound correct? Should I expect the dealer to go more than 2% under invoice? ("The dealer was getting $1,500 cash incentive before Subaru started this $2,000 rebate - per cars101.com so things have changed in the last few days.)

Thanks

PS - I am located in Upstate South Carolina - I don't see many Subaru's around here unless I drive up to Asheville, NC.
  • what is IMBA? and the Subaru VIP Program?

Thx.
    IMBA = International Mountain Bicycling Association

Subaru VIP program - a Subaru program to promote the interests of Subaru and the organization/company

See (and the FAQ page linked from here) for more details
    http://www.imba.com/tcc/subaru.html

And search for "Subaru VIP" using google to find other orgs
  • subie822subie822 Posts: 6
    Hey Guys/gals,
    I need your help,im looking to buy a used 2001 outback limited (2.5 engine) with 41,000 miles on it this week.I've done some researched on the vehicle and found out alot of people have problems with the Head Gasket going out? Anyone had any problems with this on their 2001 Outback? Please share i need to know quickly..i put deposit for the vehicle...Thanks
  • dad2bedad2be Posts: 57
    dlhanson, I have been watching the Outback prices carefully in the Northeast. My '05 OB was totalled and I have the insurance settlement, but was waiting to see if the prices came down since I have the use of a spare car for a little while longer.

On fitzmall.com, they have the 9DB model with invoice of $22627 posted for $19709, which is $466 below your calculation. This has been consistent with the pricing I have seen lately - these can be obtained for invoice minus rebate (or dealer cash) minus another ~$1000.

I'm looking at the Special Edition model 9DD, mainly because of the heated seats which we loved on our previous OB and the alloys. On fitzmall.com, these models with invoice of $24295 are selling for $20999. My local dealer in eastern PA has said the best price they can offer on the 9DD is $21099, which is an equivalent deal given the distance to fitzmall. I think I'll finally be buying in the next few weeks.

FYI, only PA sales tax (6%) and tags/doc (~$125) get added to the $21099 price
    dad2be,

We live in NW South Carolina. It costs about $150 to fly to Fitzmall if my son drives me to Charlotte, NC. Fitzmall told me that they add $99 to their internet prices as a doc fee. I am inclined to spend up to about $500 above the Fitzmall price to buy the car locally. It will actually be our son's car - he is moving to NE PA in May.
  • tdamischtdamisch Posts: 2
    These forums have been very helpful in our car search, so I thougt the least I could do is post the result of our purchase this past weekend:

2009 Outback 2.5i Special Edition
    Automatic
    Windshield Protection thrown in
    MSRP $25,590
    $20,899 out the door cost including fees, excluding our 5.1% tax.

I shopped online at Fitz and Hueberger in Colorado Springs. We're in the Denver area so Heuberger was a real possibility. Our closest dealership matched Huebergers pricing, but I couldn't get anyone to go below this.

Thank you to the people who have posted here.
    That's right - I forgot about the $99 processing fee. I also preferred not to go down to Maryland to purchase at fitzmall, but it was nice to have their prices clearly posted on the website to use as leverage in my negotiations locally, but it appears that there is a larger dealer network here to work with. Sounds like you should easily be able to hit your target of fitzmall + $500 max. Good luck.
    Congrats on your Outback purchase! It appears that the deals are relatively consistent in many parts of the country. In PA they only stock/sell the PZEV version which brings my MSRP up by $200 to $25,790 and the sale price is $21,099 + doc & tax.
  • fgwhfgwh Posts: 5
    I am in Maryland. Here is a dealer's price quote for me:

Subaru outback 2.5i automatic Model 9DB

internet price: $21995(including 2000 rebate)
    processing fee: $99

2 yrs tags: $128
    title fee: $50
    tire recycling:$4
    lien fee: $20.00
    temp tag: 20.00

out the door price before taxes: $20316

Is it a reasonale price? How much room can I negociate on that? He said some of the fees included may not be applicable so can be adjusted when I go in. What are the fees possible?

thanks
  • I can't follow your math.

If the price is, as you say, $21,995 including a $2k rebate, how can your out-the-door price be lower? The $21,995 must not be including the rebate, correct?

Looks to me like the only negotiable fees there are the $99 fee, the tire recycling and maybe the lien fees, the others are probably set by the state (title fee, temp tag etc.)... but everything's negotiable, decide what's important to you, ask, and be prepared to walk if you don't get it.

It sounds like a good price to me.
    You are right. It is before the $2k rebate to calculate the taxes. I used a formula from another website, it is $1k off, that's why I am confused with the price. I also get a quote from another dealer (I like them better). so, maybe I have 100-150 to haggle with them. for your reference, here is the quote. Please tell me your thoughts.

Price = $20,092
    Rebate = $2000
    Dealer processing fee = $99
    Tax = 6% = $1331.46

Md. tags, and title = $228

Total = $20,092 + $1331.46 + $99 + $228 = $21,750.46
  • btw ... what's the MSRP on the car? ... over in NoVa the SEs are going for 15-17% under MSRP IIRC. It looks like you're getting around/at least that, maybe a bit more off MSRP than the internet prices here.

Jon
    on the dealers website the MSRP: $23990 for the 2.5i.
    Also on another dealer's website has internet price for the 9DB posted for $19913 and $19955. The dealer I talked to told me that one is their sister company, the reason why their price is low is because the cars are sitting on the lot for about 8 or 9 months already. Is it true? that means the other dealer had the 2009 car around july, 2008?