Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Outback Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• maf1maf1 Posts: 15
    Just quoted 33965 for a 2010 3.6R Limited with bumper cover, dimmer, and splash. The only one with nav in new england. MSRP is 35093. How have others done for this rare car?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I've seen others near MSRP so right now that's probably not a bad price.

Still, if you can wait for C4C to end...
  • 78877887 Posts: 6
    Anyone know what a good price for an 09 Outback SE Automatic goes for with about 7500 mi on it.What would be my OTD price be .Wondering in IL. Thanks
    I'd say about 15% less than a new one would cost.
  • I bought my 2010 3.6R Limited Outback at Concordville Nissan/Subaru in Glen Mills, PA (about 25-miles outside of Philadelphia). The options included the convenience and protection package 1A, auto-mirror with compass and cargo net. The list was 32, 500. The invoice was appx. 30,200.00. We got it for 29,200.00
  • surrfurtomsurrfurtom Posts: 124
    Good informative post. Did you order or buy off inventory?
  • This vehicle was in the dealership's inventory. They had two 3.6R Limited's on lot and a large number of the 4-cylinder versions.
  • Hello,

I'm new to the Subaru world and am looking to buy a 2007 Subaru Outback 2.5i from a Subaru dealer. I live in Boston. What should I expect to pay for this car with "typical" miles on it?

Thanks,
    radicalkat
    How did you manage $1000 under invoice already?

The one I saw stickered at $34k, yikes. I thought that was high. $29.2k is definitely extremely reasonable. Congrats.
  • chipkchipk Posts: 7
    Offered invoice (via email) on a local car that I saw tonight, they have 5-6 Outbacks on the lot with two of them being the 3.6.

I received a reply within the hour stating that the best they could do was $500-600 over, not a bad deal considering the "newness" of the car and the fact that the CFC is still fresh in everyone's mind.

Waiting longer "might" get me closer to invoice as sales slow, but I'm selling my S2000 anyday and will reclaim my Ridgeline for the wife who will get the new OB.

Does $500 over seem pretty fair from those who are shopping or recently bought an OB? I figure they're still making their 2% (roughly $600) so they make $1,000-1,100 on the deal.

Chip
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,269
    What part of the country?
    sry, Chicago.....
  • morin2morin2 Posts: 399
    You can use the Edmunds used car appraiser here:

http://www.edmunds.com/subaru/outback/2007/index.html

Consider buying a used car out of state. New England is very tough on cars. Rust from the heavy salt use combined with damaged suspensions from the worst roads in the US make for very difficult used car shopping. My wife and I are originally from Quincy and Taunton, respectively but have lived in MD for 29 years. The quality of the roads is night and day. I commute 108 miles a day and don't see a single pothole on roads that are resurfaced with fresh 3" of asphalt every other year. And our cars don't rust.

Check with your MVA in MA and see if you can fly out to buy a southern car and drive it back to MA legally.

And Go Red Sox.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Posts: 1,207
    Use the 3 below to find their avg. price then compare how far off with dealer sale price
    edmunds.com (here)
    NADAGuide
    KBB.com
    After getting a quote from a local dealer for a grey 3.5 for $500-600 over invoice, we decided that a silver model was the color of choice.

Same dealer was able to find one in Milwaukee (we're just south of Chicago) but with a sunroof for and extra $1,000, it's simply too small to be of value IMHO.

Found a silver model with opt pckg 2A, mirror and matts and asked them (internet sales person at LaRiche Subaru in Findlay, OH) if they'd take invoice.

She said sure, great, when do you want to pick it up? As they are four hours east of me, they were kind enough to meet us half way in Indiana.

Very pleasant to deal with, no surprises, would highly recommend her!

I think the MSRP was $32,462, bought it for $30,215.

That day she had 250 miles put on her and the dash was showing 25mpg??

Need to top her off and see what she says over the next tank, and while I lost a few mpg with the 6 cylinder, she sure has some pep!
  • curvecurve Posts: 20
    Can you tell us what is a "convenience and protection package 1A"? I have not seen that on any sticker. Is that dealer specific?

Nobody in this forum seems to wonder why the dealer sold you the Limited under invoice. It makes no sense. There are no cash incentives on this model. Why do you think you got such a good deal?
    Thanks.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,269
    Those grouping codes are typically not used on window stickers. If you go to Edmunds.com and look at the car build-out screen, it will list all accessories and equipment groups. According to the site, the "Convenience and Protection Group 1A" includes wheel arch moldings and splash guards and invoices at $416.

If you are curious, this link should take you to the Edmunds page I referenced.
  • Sounds like your question about packages was already answered, so as far as the price goes....

"Nobody in this forum seems to wonder why the dealer sold you the Limited under invoice. It makes no sense. There are no cash incentives on this model. Why do you think you got such a good deal? "

Don't know for sure! I'd like to think because I'm such a nice guy, but my wife may have a different opinion on that.

My guess is that they want to do more volume with a lower margin and get their name out. They still made over $600 on the car plus the $150 doc fee, so not too terrible.

I asked about three dealers if they'd take invoice and most wanted $500-1,000 over, so it was an easy decision!

Really like the car too!
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Posts: 1,207
    Below the invoice there are ...
    2% holdback
    Extra secret incentive from Subaru to dealer, like meeting the sales quota, stair-step style.
    Dealer Admin/doc fee, some charge as $599.
    Dealer Add-on options, extra profit : retail - cost.
  • rkratrkrat Posts: 25
    I am new to this forum and new to Subaru.

Just factory ordered a steel silver 2010 Outback 2.5i Limited PZEV with moonroof and Nav and lots of extras - puddle lights, remote engine starter, XM satellite radio, dimming rear-view mirror with compass and Homelink, shock sensor security upgrade, all-weather mats, all the cargo nets, splash guards, wheel locks, bumper cover, and wheel arch moldings. I didn't need PZEV where I live, but for only $300 more, and the fact that I will probably keep this vehicle for 10 years or more, I thought I would do my small part for the environment.

Edmunds dealer invoice price was $31,440. I got $500 below invoice. Is this a good deal? I already gave a $500 deposit. When I actually have to sign the sales contract after the vehicle arrives in 4-8 weeks, do I still have room to negotiate a bit more? I am trying to recoup some money since I missed out on clunkers and could have gotten $4,500 off the price of a new vehicle for my 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan with almost 139,000 miles.

The dealer gave me an independent appraisal of $1,000 for my van trade-in but did not list it on the buyer's order. I have gotten another appraisal of $1,200 at another dealership that buys used cars even if you don't buy from them. Of course, I am still driving the van and putting more miles on it and these appraisals are only good for 7 days, so I may not do as well in a month or two when I finally get my new car and have to get rid of the van.

Just want to make sure I am getting the best deal possible since I am new to this car negotiation thing.

Thanks in advance to anyone for your help and response.