Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Outback Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Well, I've just done my homework & the KBB says 23.25 k if in excellent condition, for an 09 SE OB with 7k mi. on it.

Edmunds says the MSRP for new 09s this trim was $24,895, and Inv of 23,375 (not incl destin.).
    They also say others in my area were paying $23,331 for them new (dest not incl).

So if you say a car that I'm pretty sure was used as a rental (Carfax says "major rental company" and the town was Elmhurst, NY; that is where La Guardia International is, and about 5 of them are on the market in my area at different dealerships, recently bought through the Eastern Regional Auction), if the dealer who owns them now is asking abt 22, 22.5 k, how far off are they in their asking price?

Also there are two that look like they were loaners at their dealerships. Same story---pretty low mileage, owned only by same place that is selling them---what abt them?
  • Hi, just now getting back to this and seeing your message ... that was the price I was offered when I was shopping in mid July, choosing between an '09 and '10 OB ... I did not like the '10 at all so it was never under serious consideration (they did not know that)... they offered the $700 below invoice on the '10 but I got the '09 I prefer at nearly $3k below invoice so it was an easy choice.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Remember KBB is high, though. It's a good seller's tool, but not usually an accurate appraisal.
  • Options/accessories:

Moonroof, Protection pkg LP2 (AW mats, arch moldings, splash guards, bumper cover and wheel locks), int illum pkg, media hub, autodim mirror w/compass and h'link, moonroof air deflector, all cargo nets, hood protector and ski rack.

The only options I did not order: Nav, alarm upgrade, streaming audio, puddle and sill plate lights,

MSRP: 34894, TMV: 34459. I paid invoice, which was $32040 (all numbers include dest).

VERY happy with the deal and the dealership: Hodges Subaru in Ferndale, Michigan. Very low key, easy experience. This is a small, neighborhood, Subaru-only shop that has been around for many years.

Feedback?
    $2400 below TMV sounds pretty darn good to me.
  • paid $260 over invoice. Options included 08 (power moon roof,nav, rear camer etc), 2A and 3B. Dealer in Loveland Colorado. Low key dealership, no hassles, very pleasant experience. Factory ordered as regional supply is exceptionally low. Good price for my trade and bought an extended warranty at good terms also.
  • about what i am seeing in Westchester and Connecticut. 90% of availability is rentals. i guess one can find a good rental - but clearly the better time to have purchased was 6 months ago...my guess is that you could probably get them for 21.5 or so.

have not seen or heard of any great deals in westchester and CT.
  • morin2morin2 Posts: 399
    Yes, 6 months ago was exactly when I bought my 09 Outback SE at 21K at Fitzmall with a few minor options like mats, nets and armrest extension. I wanted to buy when supply was high, rebates were good, financing thru subaru was 2.9%, before the clunker bill, and before the new model price jump.

I suspect you are focusing on the asking prices of these used cars - when the final actual purchase price will be a function of your negotiation skills. Asking prices are pure fantasy.
  • liutliut Posts: 2
    Hi, friends,

I'm looking for some advices. A internet agent give me a quote below invoice price (before tax and documents fee etc), and all other dealer could not beat it so far. I don't know if the price is still negotiable or not after I visit them. And if the price is fair enough base on your buying experience??? For the real case, it's a 10' outback 2.5i w/ CVT, I got a $22.3k quotation.Should I keep contact with the agent with a counter offer? Compared with other dealer, I don't want to scare every availiable dealer away.

Any suggestion will be very useful. Reply to my email nataraj1993@gmail.com is also very welcomed.

Thanks for your help.
  • eps105eps105 Posts: 216
    Any deal at or below invoice on a 2010 Outback that isn't padded with excessive doc/prep/advertising fees (I.E. more than about $100 over state-mandated fees) or low-ball trade-in offer is a fanstastic deal.

There are no customer or dealer incentives whatsoever on the 10 Outback, so dealers are only making about $600 when selling at invoice.

You are digging into their holdback if you try to haggle more at the dealership. At best, you'll get a couple more bucks out of them or maybe a cargo net thrown in; at worst, you'll just annoy them.
  • Actually the dealers can make more than the holdback when selling at the invoice price. They achieve this by meeting specific monthly quota targets. That's why it's best to negotiate near the end of the month for the best price. The only catch for the lowest possible price however is it has to be for a car already on their lot, not one in transit or factory ordered.
  • liutliut Posts: 2
    I know there is only limited profit they could earn on this case. BUT, that doesn't mean they don't earn money at all. With reaching the monthly saleing goal, they will won more than my saving. Am I right? I talked with the internet manager and her manager, they didn't move a little, and came some words like "did you hit your head". Well, let it be. I can keep my money, and they can keep their outback. Maybe this is a good solution.

Thanks for your reply.
    You say that with the assumption that they're losing their money by it sitting on the lot. This is not the case for the Outback -- they're turning around and selling it to someone else within a few days for a lot more money. Subaru has reported that their supply chain is lean with only a 16 day inventory of Outback (!!!) -- norm is around 80 days.

Bottom line is that currently anyone getting an Outback at or even below invoice is getting a great deal and I don't blame the dealers for holding firm to their lowest offer. In many areas, people are happily paying MSRP or perhaps $500 off. (I talked to a few people at my own dealership that were buying at MSRP. I kept my mouth shut that I got it for invoice under the VIP Program -- I felt privileged.)
  • rw11rw11 Posts: 3
    Hi All...

I just wanted to know if $30,300+tax+fees is a good price for 2.5 limited with nav, LN4 Popular Equipment Group 2A and homelink mirror.. I am NJ. Thanks.
    I just wanted to know if $30,300+tax+fees is a good price for 2.5 limited with nav, LN4 Popular Equipment Group 2A and homelink mirror.. I am NJ. Thanks.

It would be helpful if you could inform us fellow forum members what the MSRP is with the options you mentioned and, even better, look up on Edmunds what the invoice price is. I don't know how many people here are going to do that homework for you.

Generally speaking, depending on region, getting it at invoice is considered a very good deal right now, with some competitive/ high volume dealers going maybe $200 under invoice. However, many others are only able to negotiate $500 or $1000 off MSRP, since the car is so popular at the moment. There are no rebates or dealer incentives at this time.

You also need to find out what dealer fees are. Getting it for $200 under invoice but being charged, for example, a $150 advertising fee, $295 doc fee, and $99 prep fee really is putting money back in the dealer's bottom line.

Good luck.
  • rw11rw11 Posts: 3
    Thank you. I understand.

The MSRP is 32600. The dealer showed me invoice of 30288 for this car. The car is really hard to get....
    Norm probably is about 80 but they say the ideal from the manufacturers' point of view is about 60 days.

I think that prior to C4C it was just much, much higher.
  • I am looking to get a 2010 Outback with the automatic tranny for about 25K, out the door. I do want the fog lights, but a lot of the interior options are not necessary. is there a good site to find out about all of the packages? Is $25K out the door realistic for a 2.5 Auto, with the Premium package?
  • chipkchipk Posts: 7
    How about here:

http://tinyurl.com/yb7n98l

Pick your engine, trans and trim level then click "Price with Options"

Good luck!
  • I have an offer of $22,316.00 (today only of course!) on a 2010 Outback 2.5i base model (automatic w/ CVT) but no additional options. The MSRP is $24,690.00 and the dealer invoice is $23,276.00. Not sure why they are selling to me way below invoice. I live in Texas (where Subaru is not very popular). Thought I would share my price. I am probably going to buy it tonight after work.