Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Outback Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    They already had short supply, this is a mess. There goes 2011, pretty much. :sick:
  • Not sure when exactly this started, late November anyways cause they caught it @ 11/23 or so. But they are shipping now, presumably with new master cylinders included for the dealerships to install. LOL So there will likely be a backup at the dealerships to get the part replaced depending on how fast they restock. Dealers in my area have 2 OB's "in transit" each. not very heartening!
  • Lon,

I picked up my 2.5 Limited with Sunroof package this morning. I paid a little more (~$150 more) than you did and I consider my price good but not great. Yours is closer to great :-)

I did pick up a 6/100k warrantee for $1200 with it. I think that was a decent price too. again not great but good.
  • achalachal Posts: 2
    As you said yourself, it seems the new Outbacks are getting shipped again along with the replacement parts that are going to installed before we get the car out of dealership.

I have been in touch with the dealers here in bay area. A couple of them are willing to give new outbacks at prices below invoice price and this is without me even starting to negotiate.

The prices look good, but it could be that Subaru is incentivising the sale of recall vehicles, but I don't know for sure what the deal really is.

Anyhow, if the replacement of master brake cylinders is not a big issue then this is a good time to buy an outback as they seem to be available cheaper.

What are your thoughts on this?
  • I agree that this may be a good time to move on an OB. Depends on how picky you are in terms of selection. I have been looking at the base models but am thinking I should go for the premium with awp and HK stereo, as I plan this to be a long term vehicle. Was originally looking at making the move in early January after the Auto Show here in Detroit.
  • What would you venture the a good price below invoice should be on a leftover 2011 if I can locate one in my area? I'm not too picky about colors but I don't even know where to start. Many Thanks!
  • Seems dealers started to offer below invoice price before negotiation (MA).
    My target is OTD below 27k for 2.5i premium w/ AWP, autodimm mirror, popular package #3.
    Don't know if there is more room to bargain in the last month of the year.
  • iyyiiyyi Posts: 2
    I just wanted to share my deal with everyone. Just purchased a 2012 Outback 2.5i Limited with Power Moonroof. Has the power moonroof, auto-dimming rear view mirror, rear vision camera, homelink, puddle lights.

MSRP: $31,500
    Invoice: $29,066

Selling Price: $27,495
    Doc Fee $156
    Sales Tax: $2,560
    New Plates: $219

OTD: $30,430

I was a big fan of my dealer and sales person. They were non commission and I think the deal was pretty good.
  • Wow, that's an insane price. @$700 less than dealer cost (according to truecar.)
    Good job!
  • jk894jk894 Posts: 5
    Congrats on the great deal. Was a trade-in involved?
  • Good deal!
    Do you mind to tell us if you trade-in your car?
    I think this is one factor that affects new car price.
    thanks
  • How do you figure?
    Up or down w/trade-in?
    Just curious.
  • Based on http://www.carbuyingtips.com/car4.htm

"Think twice about trading in your used car at the dealer!
    Dealer's never give you fair market value for your car. They offer wholesale value, which is much less. This is so they can sell your trade-in and make a profit. The wholesale value is quoted in Edmunds, Kelly Blue Book, or most of the other internet car pricing sites. The problem is, many dealers like to low ball the wholesale figure too."
  • iyyiiyyi Posts: 2
    There was a trade in. However, I negotiated the price via email before I even stepped into the dealership to begin talking about the trade in.

I will say that the puddle lights weren't initially in the price negotiations though. Turns out that someone else had put a deposit on the car we originally negotiated so they went and brought in another car with the exact same specs + puddle lights and gave it to me at the same price.
  • Thank you for the input.
    Enjoy the new car! :)
  • 2.5 Outback Limited
    +pkg 4 (sunroof, mirror)
    + Side Moldings
    +All weather matts
    +Puddle lights
    +Rear bumper cover
    +splash guards
    MSRP 31665

Negotiated price of car 27995 including destination. + sales tax, title, fees (156). Illinois mandates the amounts on these three items -- non-negotiable except for doc which could go less than 156.).

After this was finalized, we then talked about a trade.

Found dealer (Grand Subaru) via the Subaru website, in Bensenville, il. Dealt via email with Dan D. Dan was great and did not make me do a lot of back and forth with the car. We did do a bit on the trade which I got the price boosted by 10%. Car was waiting for the test drive when we pulled in on Saturday PM. Finance guy was another story, I heard the '2more minutes' every5-10 minutes three times. Eventually we got in and when we got over his astonishment that I did not want their (3rd party) warranty the deal closed quickly. It was typical nice Saturday afternoon, with other customers buying cars, so I am not sure it the total time was too long or not, but beginning to end it was about 2 hours. My record for in and out is 40 minutes including a trade in and a test drive.
  • tripeltripel Posts: 12
    wow, fantastic deal -- that's exactly the one i was looking for (though now am considering a 3.6)
    in the NYC tri-state area i can't get anyone under $30K all in for that car
  • The dealer is really close to Ohare. Fly 1 way, see the town, drive home.
  • Keerock,

Just bought the car today.

Limited w/Moonroof
    Puddle Lights
    Rear Bumper Cover
    Rear Cargo Net
    Rear Vision Camera
    Splash Guards

MSRP: $31,706
    Selling Price: 29,400 + tax
    I also have $250 coupon from the Auto show so total deal is $29,150.

Not a good deal compared to others but I'm happy with it. :)
  • Hey tripel, I too am from NYC in Queens. What other dealers have you gotten quotes from, in Queens & Long Island. I am in search of an 2012 Outback Premium CVT w/AWP. I have gotten 2 quotes of $26,102 and $26,075. Is this a good deal or can I do better? I have not counter offer yet.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,677
    You're still $400 under invoice before you add in the coupon, so you're definitely in "good deal" territory. Those others? Those are great deals! ;)

Congrats on the new Outback!
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • He doesn't need to fly to IL. He can find similar deal in DE.
    NY and new England area should boycott OB for that additional $1300 regional Ad fee.
  • tripeltripel Posts: 12
    Just to clarify, was that your out-the-door price?
    or was tax on top of that?
    If ppl can get out the door thousands less than MSRP, that seems like an awesome deal to me.
    Closest I got was pretty much at MSRP for a 2.5 Limited w Moonroof, for around $31K. As taxes, tags and licence would've been another $3K or so, that's what I was saving ....but trying to do better...if you're under $28K all in, that's sweet.
    I might fly to Chi for that ..or Deleware -- that do-able?

To the other Q on NYC, I went to Koeppel in Queens to test drive, and they tried to sell me pretty weak deal, so left that place. then used Truecar and was emailing several places. Liberty Subaru in Paramus NJ was the most responsive, and got down to the deal that basically negated TTL cost.

But I'm in no rush as I can wait through the winter for the best deal (no need to pay for a garage in NYC through the winter!)
  • I was in to a Subaru dealership here in the Detroit area on Saturday looking at a base model with alloy wheel package. I had the truecar statement which put the sale price at @$2000 of the MSRP. Actually I was hoping for more but this was without negotiation. When it came to my trade-in was where they tried to make their money back. Bluebook says my current vehicle is worth @$4000 and the salesman said they would probably offer @$1000 but they came back at$2200. No go. I'll try again later.
    They weren't in any hurry to sell the car anyways as the vehicle I wanted was "in transit". No sense going out of your way to sell a car you don't even have yet.
    Now that I have waited I am thinking about the new XV out next year.
  • Price of car was 27995 including destination. Taxes and 156 doc fee and plate transfer were additional. Since these vary state to state (and county to county) I don't think you can compare based on that. Some states doc fees are hundreds more. In Illinois the sales tax is also computed on the net price less the trade, so that will also goof the numbers up. Invoice on the car I got was 29373. There has to be a holdback out there, but I couldn't nail that down. I'm sure he didn't lose any money over this.

Here is the extract from my dealer with his quote for an OTD price:

MSRP $31,665
    Invoice $29,373

Selling Price $27,995
    Doc Fee 156.08
    Tax 2,042.77 ( Lake County )
    New Plates 219
    ====================
    Grand Total $30,012.85
    **DESTINATION AND DELIVERY INCLUDED IN PRICE QUOTE**
  • I don't think residents in NY and New England area can get a price close to other areas.
    (1) PZEV partial zero emission vehicle $300, is required on 4 cylinders in CA, CT, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, OR, PA, RI, VT, WA
    (2) If you check truecar, you will find a $1300 regional Ad fee which is not applied to IL, DE, or other southern states.

$1600 extra on your sticker price compared with same trim in other areas.
  • I have a quote for the following from a local dealer. How does this fair with what others are getting?

2012 Outback Premium 2.5i CVT

26,572 + TTL Premium Pkg: all weather pkg, wheel arch molding, rear bumper cover, all season mats, wheel locks, remote engine starter, and auto dimming mirror w/compass and homelink.

25,581 + TTL Premium Pkg: all weather pkg only.

Thanks!
  • IMHO
    I think can be $500 lower if you are in new england area.
    may be slightly different if you apply 0%APR

here is a quote I got before negotiation:
    MSPR $27620
    invoice is $26328
    your zag discount is $900 bring it down to $25428 before TTL

If you are not in NE, subtract 1600~1300 from above number.
  • I'm confused -- so are you saying the price is higher in NE or lower? Thanks!
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,677
    Higher, due to the "regional ad fee" tacked onto the vehicles by the regional distributor.
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon