Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Quest Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• DPLFA99, your armrest is an interesting problem that sounds similar to our SE. It would be interesting to hear if your lumbar works (stays in position). We are waiting for the parts to arrive to get ours repaired at the dealer.
  • I'm in the market for a new Quest, but I have until February to buy one -- what other time of year (besides end-of-model-year) do Nissan dealers typically offer special incentives? I mean, can I wait until Christmas or something and expect to get some kind of incentive? When are the dealers going to be most eager to make me a deal?

I guess what I'm really asking is "What are the best times of year (if any) to buy a Nissan Quest?"
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,420
    I shopped my '99 Quest on Christmas eve and closed on it on Dec. 31. I thought I was being smart by buying from the dealer on the very last day of the year since I figured the dealer would be anxious to add one more sale to his '98 quota.

My salesguy told me after the deal was done that Nissan had extended the deadline for '98 sales that year to mid-January, lol.

Last day of the month on the last day of the quarter is still a good bet though. But the best time to buy is probably when you decide you're ready for a new van.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• We ordered a Quest SE, Green Tea w/ single screen DVD, this week and were told it would take around 90 days to deliver. Does this sound right? I wasn't expecting it to take so long.

Also, we were told that we could not order one without splash guards. In fact he said, "Nor can anyone else." This struck me as odd as they are accessories. Why would this be the case? Any ideas?

Thanks!
  • That sounds like a classic car-salesman tactic to force you into something to increase his profit.

I can't say definitively, but I'd question that more closely. Maybe take your deal or call around (price, don't mention the splashguards) to another local dealer and see if there's any mention of them.
  • We have the VPP price, so it can't be that much profit (if any) that he would make. I don't get it!
  • He isn't making much on the sale, so he's looking for whatever way he can to make a little more $$$.

I think that we have at least one Nissan dealer/salesperson on the board, maybe they could say for sure.
  • I drove by the other Nissan dealership in our area yesterday. All of the three Quests they had on the lot had splash guards.

It's not too big of a deal to me, I'm just curious why it would be that they couldn't order one without them.
  • I guess providing spalsh guards without asking may not be a big deal, but certainly it is not bad. why make big fuss about it ?
  • The dealer just said he couldn't order one with them. He knew I didn't want them, so he just explained why it was on the order. I'm just curious as to why it can't be ordered without them.

Again, it really isn't a big deal. My curiousity is just getting the better of me! :)
  • We ordered ours with them, but the dealer never said we had to order them. Of all of the Quests we've seen on the lot, not one has had the splash guards.

I think you're dealer is just looking to make a little more money. But hey, at least it wasn't the $800 scotch guard.
  • I was at the dealer yesterday looking at colors (he just got a red and a green in) and I saw at least one of them (not an SE, though) without the splash guards. So, I can tell you definitively that at least the S or SL can be ordered without them.
  • srb6srb6 Posts: 3
    Just had a grueling negotiation session this weekend for SL at MSRP $31671. We ended up walking out without the car because they were playing too many games. Thought it might be helpful info for any of you in very competitive markets. When we priced the options we wanted on the Nissan site we came up with $31530 (Leather, DVD, floor mats, upgrade and seat package). Dealer inventory showed they had the exact car - again listed at $31530, but when we got there the car with that VIN # had a sticker price of $31671 due to, you guessed it, splash guards. We asked whether this was a dealer thing and they said no - all these cars are being shipped with the splash guards. I have no idea why this information wouldn't be available on the Nissan site option list. Anyway, this was annoying but not a deal breaker. After much discussion he said the absolute best he could do was 2.5% off MSRP - about $790 off. We were not offering a trade-in vehicle. Then I asked whether there were any dealer fees or add-ons that we hadn't discussed yet. He said - get this - there is a $239 VIN etching fee (!) and a $299 dealer conveyance fee, both of which he had to charge us "by law". I actually started laughing. We looked at the wording of the CT law regarding VIN etching - that the dealer must offer the option to have the number etched on the windshield, so I politely declined the option... and they took that fee off the contract. Then we said we weren't interested in paying a dealer conveyance fee. They said they couldn't remove it - legally it wouldn't be fair to the other customers. We said fine - then take that $299 out of the cost of the car. Well - they could only do that depending on the outcome of our next step - possible financing. More games, of course. They said they could give us 4.9% for 5 yrs. We can get less than %3.9 from a bank, so no. Ok, they can offer us %2.9 if it is packaged with an extended warranty and our payments would be only $5-something per month, does that sound interesting to us? We tell them we are beyond impatient about the games they keep playing, and we do the math right there and figure they have just offered us a $4000 extended warranty. We tell them forget financing; we will write a check for the entire cost of the car at MSRP - 2.5% with no VIN etching fee and no conveyance fee, take it or leave it. They can't do it unless we agree to the dealer conveyance fee of $299. We know we can do better through Carmax, so we say no.
    Based on this, it looks like you can get an SL with these options in our area for $30880 + $299 is $31179 from the MSRP of $31671. This is $492 off, or about 1.5% off of MSRP.

Good luck out there and look sharp at each part of your deal!
  • lumbarlumbar Posts: 421
    That was a great real world story--very informative. Much respect for sticking to your guns and walking.

The fact that the dealership was willing to lose the deal for $299 even though they still would have had a pretty good margin tells me they have no doubt somebody else will pay it soon. In short, seller's market.

Can I ask why you're looking for a "loaded" SL instead of an SE? I'm trying to judge the cost/benefit of that decision.
  • srb6srb6 Posts: 3
    Thanks lumbar. We really like the SE, but decided to buy the SL after we looked at each of the features that the extra $3500 would purchase for us. It turned out that in our case, the only features that were really compelling about the SE were the 5-speed auto transmission and the skylights (the auto mirrors, memory seats, power door, etc... are great, but not enough to move us toward a higher price). We reluctantly agreed that the skylights were in reality a drawback for us since we are expecting our second child any day now, and our experience with sunlight streaming in on our first child's face indicated we would never have those skylights open, at least for the first 2 yrs!
    So is the 5-speed transmission alone worth $3500? I have no idea, actually, but I'm hoping we won't regret our decision to take the 4-speed. I'll let you know after we get the car and drive around awhile!
  • I recently have been in contact with a dealer in Oakland and he has offered me a Quest SL, Single DVD, folding seats, floor mats, and in-cabin microfilter for $27,630+ tax, tags, etc. He has already send me an email with the vin# and price you quoted me so I am optimistic he will follow through with the deal. I have been on the phone with him once already and he has been helpful so far. I just need to send him my address in CA since i am moving back to the states from Japan (Navy) in 6 days. I am going to make a deposit with my credit card to lock in the deal. He has also agreed to pick me and my family of four up at the airport the morning of our arrival. I will post the results once the deal is completed. Price is about $800-900 over invoice so I feel pretty good about the price. Was looking into a Oddysey but the availability and the demand have increased the price the dealers are willing to go down to. Not worth paying close to retail for a Honda if you ask me.

Jason
  • I will be getting on or about the 22th of this month. A SE with every option list $37,720 for $35,023. Best I could do.
  • shenkarshenkar Posts: 159
    Do you mind sharing where you got your deal? How much pain did you suffer in the negotiations?
  • raul4raul4 Posts: 95
    There are two nissan dealers in my area and I have been tracking their inventory since 9/13. One dealer had five and received one more on 9/16. The other dealer had eight and received one more on 9/16. I visited both dealers today and both made the comment on meeting me that they go as soon as they get them. The one dealer with the six on 9/16, had all of them. The other dealer who had nine on 9/16, had only three sitting out front and I was told that was all they had. Yet, the inventory as of this evening still shows a total of nine.
         In any event, they have a coral sand with the $750 upgrade, floor mats, and cargo cover, list price of $28,630 that I am going to try to buy tomorrow. But, I have a trade-in, Chev Venture (LT) four years old, 35,500 miles, in super condition (no passengers have ever ridden in the rear seats).
         We will see what happens!
  • Well my friend knows the manager of the Nissan Dealer. So one call from my friend to him got me the deal. I will ask the manager if he want me to give out the dealership name.
    I purchased the coral sand. It is an SL with cloth interior and what a beauty. The interior (very plush) matches so well with the exterior. This is a whole new experience just learning how to use everything. In my entire 59 years of driving I never would have imagined that I could just press a button and see the tire pressure displayed on a screen. It is just a dream minivan. I ended paying $22,906 which included tax and tags. The dealer does a 1,000 mile check without charge. I also purchased a Nissan Gold Preferred extended warranty (7 Years 100000 miles) for $1,329. This has been one of the most pleasant car buying experiences I have had in years. I can't wait to take a long trip.
  • lumbarlumbar Posts: 421
    This is like The Price is Right--which digit is a mistake?!
  • We are struggling between the Quest and the Nissan and THAT price would clinch it. Seriosuly, if you can verify the price (and if true how the HECK you managed to get it for that) I'm sure we would all be appreciative.
    TMV for a base SL is around $27,000, invoice around $25k. Killer deal, Raul4 - did you have a trade-in? More details please!

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I bought an SL the last week of August with the seat package, floor mats, and that splash guard for $200 over invoice. When the car was actually delivered from another dealership, it had pin-striping and wheel locks that I basically got free. They gave me $2000 for my old '95 Quest with 125K miles on it, which was within $200 of the realistic value. The total deal was within $400 of what I had set my personal target price. Plus I got 3.5% financing. Had to take the car back in for service because the interior lights wouldnt work, but it was a fuse problem that got fixed quick.
    I was providing additional information to message #50. That included the chev trade-in mentioned in that message. Sorry, guess I should have referenced the message. I, of course, decided how much I would have to pay with the trade-in. I wrote it down step-by-step. My bottomline figure was $22,697.80, including tags and taxes and the first offer came at $22,906 which I accepted.
    That's what made it such a sweet experience. After having it for 24 hours, I couldn't be more pleased.
         Only one thing that was a little disappointing. I wrongly assumed that this model had automatic headlights and it does not. My venture had this feature and I became very accustomed to it. But, I am extremely happy with it. It is very beautiful and has a super ride and drive.
    And congrats on the new ride!

Next time I'll scroll up a page and check for a previous post :-)

Steve, Host

• shenkarshenkar Posts: 159
    RAUL4--So the bottom line price on your deal included the value of your Chevy trade-in, right?

2003Hemi--Does your dealer want to hear from us other Quest shoppers? If so, please provide some contact info.

Thanks Guys!
  • Hi,

my local dealer Quirk nissan in MA is selling 2004 Quest 3.5SL for 3500 USD below MSRP. Price with seat pkg, power sliding doors & gate, rear sensing system is 25215. Which is much better then what I paid for my 03 Ody EX.

Hope this helps to future buyers.

MJ
    Steve, Host----TU.

shenkar---Yep! The bottom line price did include the trade-in of my chev.