Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier Kia Sedona Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• dbtdbt Posts: 298
    typer_801,
    Thanks for the info on the extra $1k incentive and the $750 spiff. I had gotten quotes more than $5k below invoice, and that helps explain it.
  • Great research. Maybe you can start your own site. Anyone else wondering "Where the hell is Edmunds" on this stuff"?

Looks like I could have scored an EX for just pennies more (if not the same) than the LX price I paid. Next time, I'll know to dig a little deeper. I have always said in this thread that I don't mind if the dealer makes a profit as long as I don't leave a lot of money on the table. It appears I missed my mark...
  • I am in KC. I am slated to buy a base model LX, with no other options for $17000 tomorrow. No futher fees, at least from dealer.

I went into the process thnking that 18k would be a decent deal. I got cold feet when I learned that the Sedona I wanted was made in 2/06, so some of the fixes (see the TSB on KIA websites) may still need to be done. I usually hate buying a vehicle the first year out.

But the dealer seemed to want to deal, and he dropped his price to $17,000 quite readily.

I think the deals you hear of for $15,000 or less are likely to have a whole lot of strings attached......

I wish I knew if the 06 Sedona is going to be reliable over time. I don't care a wit about resale, as I will drive it for 8-10 years. But I hope I don't need to use the warranty too often....
    I am in KC. I am slated to buy a base model LX, with no other options for $17000 tomorrow. No futher fees, at least from dealer.
    I went into the process thnking that 18k would be a decent deal. I got cold feet when I learned that the Sedona I wanted was made in 2/06, so some of the fixes (see the TSB on KIA websites) may still need to be done. I usually hate buying a vehicle the first year out.
    But the dealer seemed to want to deal, and he dropped his price to $17,000 quite readily.

That's about the range I've seen. As per Typer, dealer cost is around 16,2 or 16,3. The ones I've seen have 05/06 build dates. Still have to deal with some TSBs.
  • Typer,

What area of the country are you in and what dealership did you use? Thanks
  • Cincinnati, OH -- I finally bought my Sedona from Kings Kia. Although I had the same offer from Wyler Kia in Fairfield on the exact model I wanted, they just couldn't get it aligned, so I went to Kings. That ended up being a good thing, Kings Kia is a much nicer dealership. It's worth noting, the guys at Wyler Kia in Springfield were offering $8K off anything they had in stock, but I was stuck with their selection (no dealer trades) and I couldn't deal with black. FWIW - I went on the at Kings Kia website last night and they are now offering about what I paid for mine as their "internet price". Sounds like the deals are getting better as the month end approaches.
  • I just got an internet offer from Car Pros Kia in Pomona, CA on a 2006 Sedona EX with the power package and premium entertainment package for an out the door price of $24,000. This includes the $4000 rebate and additional incentives (which I'm not sure what's included).

I've also been offered $24,600 out the door on a 2006 Sedona EX with the Power and Luxury Package.

These prices almost matches what typer_801 has outlined for the EX model.

If these are good prices I'm leaning toward the $24,000 from Car Pros just because I want the DVD system. However, is it worth getting the $24,600 luxury package and then adding a DVD add-on (Costco has a DVD add-on for $700 with 10.2" screen which includes installation)?

Thanks.
  • brian1brian1 Posts: 25
    Could you tell me what you ended up paying. I am also in the Cincy market and went to Kings and Fairfield and so far the best they will do is $7k off of sticker. Were you able to do any better?

thanks
    Brian
  • I ended up getting my Sedona for the $19,090 price before TTL. That was on an EX with an MSRP of $26,495. Total discount $7405 (as shown above).

Email me privately for more info (typer_801 at yahoo dot com)
  • Just wanted to thank everyone here for all the info. I'm going to do battle with a dealer in the PHX area sometime during the next few days and this info combined with all the stuff at www.carbuyingtips.com makes me feel much better prepared.

If anyone cares to share why they preferred the EX over the LX, I'd appreciate it. Unless you want the upgrade packages, is there really a reason to go there?

Thx again,
    SJ
    To me the biggest items the EX adds over the LX is foglights and 17" wheels. Some of the dealers I have been talking to the deals are not as good on the EX over the LX as the EX's are starting to get scarce and especially ones with the power package.
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Posts: 2,554
    typer_801, did you buy during January?

I don't know if it would be worth waiting til February. At some point, the incentives are reduced once inventories are cleared out enough -- at least that is what I have seen in the past on other models.

It's too bad Kia isn't running its customer loyalty cash right now.
    Local dealer has 1 2006 Sedona EX left, base model plus the Power Package (power sliding doors and power liftgate). MSRP $27,265.

We mentioned trading in our 2002 Sedona EX and they 'offered' $5500 after looking it over -- AND after my wife told them what we owe on it! Oops. I think we might be able to get $7,000 for the van if we sold it ourselves, but that's about it.

Salesman offered $22,265 on the new 2006 EX -- exactly $5,000 off MSRP.

We told him that wasn't compelling enough to pull the trigger. He asked what was, we told him $20,000 on the new EX which is $7,265 off MSRP. He left his desk and came back in 5-10 minutes and said they could do that.

We are mulling it over this weekend before deciding to proceed. Not sure if we feel like taking on the cost of a new van.

Any thoughts on this deal?

We have not yet priced insurance for the 2006 EX and I am worried it will be pretty high. Although the 2002 Sedona is a safe vehicle, the insurance rate has been pretty high compare to other vehicles we have received quotes for.
  • Here are the items I've observed as additional equipment included on the EX over the LX.

EX Additional Equipment:
    -Solar (Heat Rejecting) Glass
    -Alloy Wheels/Michelin Tires
    -Power Seats (Driver & Passenger)
    -Woodgrain Dash (plan black in LX is preferable IMO)
    -Auto-on Headlights
    -Fog Lights
    -MP3 Capability/Cassette Player
    -Overhead Trip Computer
    -Chrome Trim on Tailgate
    -Power Rear Vent Windows
    -HomeLink
    -AutoDimming Rear View Mirror
    -Heated Mirrors
    -Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel/Shift Knob

That's all I can remember, but there probably isn't much that's substantial beyond this. Definitely worth the extra money, but none of them are "must haves".
    another big difference is 17" wheels/tires on EX compared to 16" on the LX. This is a substantial difference as it will actually improve the ride and handling of the vehicle.
    another big difference is 17" wheels/tires on EX compared to 16" on the LX. This is a substantial difference as it will actually improve the ride and handling of the vehicle.

This is a difference, but I don't think it will improve both ride and handling. The 17" tires are lower profile, and hence should give better handling; but with less sidewall flex, will transmit more road imperfections and hence diminish ride. It's a personal choice whether the improvement in the handling outweighs the reduction in the ride.
    Does anyone know if the current Jan incentives will carry over, increase or decrease? There still seems to be a lot of inventory at dealers but most are now LX models. Not sure if I should pull the trigger on an EX now or wait till Feb. Anyone have any thoughts on this.
    good point on the ride factor- If I may add 17" wheels / tires package adds a better look over 16"
    We decided to buy a 2006 EX this month rather than waiting.

This has been my observation, generally speaking:
    Once dealers start clearing out the prior model year vehicles, incentives get better and better for a few months. At some point, inventory levels are low enough that the incentives get worse since dealers don't need to move many more units.

In the case of the 2006 Sedona, I don't know where Kia is regarding remaining inventory levels.

The January incentives are really good historically speaking on Sedona. I think they may have been better at some points on the previous generation Sedona, but $4,000 published incentive plus what seems like another $1,000 unpublished makes for pricing at $7,000+ off MSRP pretty easy right now. Things might improve for February -- maybe they will bring back their $1,000 customer loyalty and/or $1,000 competitive model rebates.

I had meant to go back thru this topic during fall 2005 / winter 2006 and see what was happening with the incentives, when they peaked, etc. But I never ended up bothering.

Too bad I haven't tracked the rebates on a monthly basis. It would be nice to see the historical trends, the months in which the incentives jump up, months when they decline, etc.
  • Paid $16045 for LX with roof rails, nothing else. Plus $199 doc fee. That was total. So $7801 off of MSRP.

Jack Miller Kia in NorthKC, Kansas City.
  • Hello, just bought an EX last night with the power package and paid $20,312. So I think 20k is a good deal. The EX's in this area (Northwest U.S.) are scarce, even more scarce to find the color you'd like, and the entertainment and luxury option packages have been gone since the end of last year. I contacted every Kia dealer from mid state Washington State to mid state Oregon.

Good luck to us all!
    I was happy with the $20,000 but not happy they tacked on a $170 doc fee that I should have noticed sooner. They showed us the informal offer in a very deceptive way, and at the time I didn't do the math in my head because I didn't think it contained any funny business.

After giving us $5,500 for our 2002 EX with all options except rear spoiler, they have listed it on their website for $8,295. I don't think they will get close to that figure unless they do some body work (door dings, paint scuffs, small stone chip in windshield) or find a completely clueless buyer. I think we would have needed to put $500 into fixing up our van's exterior in order to sell it privately for $7,000 or so. That's why we ended up trading it in, which was a first for me.

In the end, I think we got a good to very good deal on the new Sedona and a fair to below average deal on trading in the old Sedona. I give myself a B-minus for the deal I worked and am actually somewhat disappointed in myself. Oh well - I can always blame it on the wife who rushed the deal a bit and gave up our old Sedona's payoff figure to the dealer :)
    Just talked with a Kia rep who just received the new incentive sheet. Published offer on the 2006 Sedona is staying at $4000.
  • It's still $4000, but it's "cash back" now, instead of a "rebate".
  • Anyone know if there are other incentives to the dealers themselves (e.g., unpublished factory-to-dealer, unit quota spiffs, etc.)? I ask because I had a quote working with a dealer prior to the month-end expiration and he told me today that while the $4K incentive remained, the dealer "lost" their other incentives so didn't have the room to work that they did before. Also, anyone know what the "floor plan" fee from Kia to the dealer is?
    I bought my EX w/power on 1/31 for $20,200+TTL. I do not know the exact details but they made mention that it is a good thing I bought it when I did because the deal in Feb was not as good as Jan. They may just be saying that to make me feel better about getting it in Jan because I was concerned about waiting until Feb to pull the trigger.
    Anyone know if there are other incentives to the dealers themselves (e.g., unpublished factory-to-dealer, unit quota spiffs, etc.)? I ask because I had a quote working with a dealer prior to the month-end expiration and he told me today that while the $4K incentive remained, the dealer "lost" their other incentives so didn't have the room to work that they did before.

FWIW, I got a quote today that was $7400 below MSRP for an 06 LX, which was about $600 more (i.e. a higher price, used to be $8000 off MSRP) than a few days ago, from the same place.
  • Went to a dealer in Phoenix metro area and explained that I had a friend in the biz so I knew about how all the pricing worked, etc. I then said that I'd take a white/grey EX off their hands for $18K after trade and "out the door". I'm recreating much of this from memory so some of this could be off, but here's what their offer was:

MSRP: $27,559 (slightly bloated)
    Document fees: $349
    License&Tags: $427
    Rebate: -$4,000
    Discount: -$1,600
    Purchase Price: $22,735
    Trade: -$5,000
    Subtotal: $17,735
    Sales Tax (8.1%): $1,435
    Out the door: $19,170

They were kind enough to round it down to $19K and explain that they were already "in the holdback". Note that I know I goofed a little bit somewhere in those numbers.

Now prior to this, I told them they needed to be at $18K OTD. So I offered $18,250 and after about 10 minutes, they didn't even bother to counter and let me walk.

Still not sure what to make of this, but I'm sure they figure there aren't that many EX's with Power Pkg's left so they'll roll the dice a little longer and perhaps they'll get some additional incentives from the factory. I'm also proud of myself that I didn't bite because I typically roll over in these situations and the reality is, I don't NEED this right now.

Your feedback welcome.
    Try to keep the trade-in vehicle out of the equation. It also is useful to keep license, tags, registration, tax out of the equation since those vary by state. Need to keep them out of the discussion to have an apples-to-apples comparison with other buyers around the country.

$20,000 seemed like a good target for a 2006 EX with Power Package (MSRP $27,265 if I recall)...in January. Someone reported maybe the unpublished $1,000 factory-to-dealer incentive is NOT in play for February, so they may not have as much room to get close to the $20k.

Excluding license/tags, you were quoted a price of about $22k. That sounds too high.
  • Hi. I'm going to probably buy a 2006 EX with the DVD Entertainment System and a Sunroof added. The total cost with financing over a 60 month period, taxes (8.5% in NY,) included in the payments is $30K. Do you think this is a good deal? Or does my dealer have room for improvement? Thank you.