Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier Kia Sedona Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Sounds like you have not had the best of luck... I'm sorry to hear this. I and many others have not had any problems. The bad thing about forums is you really get a biased opinion of autos. it is true that most owners without problems don't go onto forums at all. Only, for the most part except myself, people searching for information about an issue or advice post on these places so one can hardly call forums accurate in showing how a vehicle really is.

Honda does make a great product. My wife's civic is great but don't think the Ody is without problems. They had a huge problem with people loosing their transmissions between 80K to 110K. They even had to extend the warranty though many owners were not covered. There are a lot of other problems as well. Honda's quality has been sleeping a little lately and Toyota has overtaken them in many ways. Kia's problems seem to be the little things, which can be very frustrating, but it does seem the powertrain is pretty darn good.

As far as you paying 30K for the 06... my lord what were you thinking? Maybe you had not choice but man that is 11k more then I paid.

To answer a few questions you had.

There was a TSB on the a/c pulley making a knocking sound which was an easy fix.

Ticking on startup there was a TSB on the timing chain tensioner to be replaced, annoying sound but was not causing any damage. It is normal to have a little valve noise on DOHC motors on startup especially when cold or sitting for a bit. All the oil flows back down to the oil pan and has to be pumped back up into the engine when you start for for a sew seconds there is some valve tapping. Some engines are more prone to this then others and it is just the way they are designed. Running a full synthetic will help reduce this and is much better oil anyway.

Your screech sound on startup I have never hear of that is unique.

Again people have had problems with both Kia, Toyota, and Honda. All 3 are far from perfect. The [non-permissible content removed] do have much better resale value but less warranty and a good deal higher price. What you get for your money Kia is far the best, though the few with horror stories will disagree I am sure.

Just my .02

Daniel
  • siennamisiennami Posts: 116
    The resale is exactly what I was afraid of, and that's why I traded mine so soon and got back in a Sienna. My 9 month old Sedona was valued at the same amount as the three yr.old VW Passat that I'd traded the year before! Crazy! I figured it would only get worse, so I went ahead and traded it, which was crazy in and of itself, but I got a Lifetime Warranty on the Sienna, and it gets much better gas mileage than the Sedona did. I had a much better experience with the Kia dealership; the salesman was great; in fact, I wish the ones at Toyota were more like him. I just prefer the Sienna. It's what I had before the Passat, and it's what I like.
  • I think what it boils down to is if you plan on keeping a van for a while and are not looking to trade in every other year. If not then the depreciation does not really matter much. I plan on getting my moneys worth and driving this thing to the ground.
  • egkoregkor Posts: 24
    We own an '07 Honda Odyssey. Love it. Need another van, can't afford another Ody, so looking at the Kia/Hyundai vans.

Rented a '07 Sedona LX from Enterprise in summer of '07 to drive from LA, CA to LV, NV and back. Surprise, we loved it, it was great transportation for our family of 4.

So here at the new year '08 I considered buying one, and just about had myself talked into it. Except, dealers in our area still want too much, given the instant drastic depreciation.

And the new and used Ody's from Honda dealers are also too expensive for us, so I will have to wait and watch prices.

-Gary K
  • I called around today and asked for a new 2007 LX with power sliding doors and roof rack. They all told me MSRP $25,490 and offered me $3000 below invoice. Edmunds is telling me $23,980 invoice for this car, so minus $3000 makes $20,980. Since I saw this post saying $19,200 paid for this car without the power doors, I figure right around $20,000. So I asked them for $19,000 to see what they would say. I'm waiting for a couple of call backs, but one guy told me straight out that he just could not go below invoice, and another told me $21,414 was his best offer.

What are you guys saying to get $19,500 (or $20,xxx with the power doors)?
  • Incentives are less for the 07's compared to when I purchased my 06. I think the Sedona is catching on more now I see a lot more on the road now compared to 8 months ago. Probably getting close to 21k for power doors on the LX.
  • You can use the low resale value to your advantage. Just switch it around in your mind. I just got a fully loaded 2006 EX with 18k miles for $17.5K and loving it so far. You won't find as many EX's for sale though so you have to be on the lookout.

The only problem is the 10/100k powertrain warranty is not transferable. Resets to 5/60 for subsequent owners. How stupid is that?
  • What, no 10/10000 transfer....

...yet one more way for Kia to GET you!!

I've had my '07 since Oct 1st. Now it is an EX,but in exc condition and only 4000 miles - drum roll please - current value...only $13500 on trade!!! I can't even trade the #@*! thing in!! I hate the thought of having to deal with a lawyer for the whole lemon law issue, but it's quickly becoming my only option (read my posts on mileage and brake issues if you want details).

My advice...........DON'T DO IT!!! Buy a used Odyssey or even a used Grand Caravan first. You'll be doing yourself a favor and saving yourself a lot of grief and frustration in the long run.
  • If it's a lemon get the attorney. I am on my second kia ex (the loaded model) and my 04 was a POS and so is my 06. I have had problems since day 1 with both vans. I settled with Kia on the first for sticker for sticker trade..in which now I know I was RIPPED off because I paid 30+K sticker for my 06. I invested 6K more to get the 06 than I had already paid for my 04. Since day 1 my 06 has broken down over and over. I am on my second lemon law filing. Lawyer said she's taking this to court. i want alllllll of my money back and will NEVER eever ever ever buy a kia again. I've had nothing but days lost in the shop. I thought hey nice van with great safety rating..lots for the money. But like the old saying goes..you get what you pay for! It would be a nice little van if it was reliable and things didn't go wrong that they constantly say they can't duplicate..or it's normal. (yeah it breaks down and won't start over and over and they can't duplicate---I go pick it up on their lot after saying it won't start--they say started for them---and it won't start for me to bring it home, but service was closed. The sales guy said sorry we can't give you a free rental to get you home so you can leave it here..call a taxi). Does that say enough?
  • THANKS!!!! Atleast now I don't feel like I'm insane. We were trying to decide whether to go with a lawyer or bite the bullet and wait 'til I could trade it (prob 3 yrs), but this discussion site has helped me make up my mind!! I couldn't believe the number of people having the same or similar problems...just wish I had seen this first. I, like you, thought - good safety ratings, nice little van for the $. You're right...you get what you pay for!! My sales experience was SOOOOOO bad that I almost walked out on it, but we had invested so much time that I didn't want to do that...thought I was just being impatient. But now I know better....hind sight is wonderful, right!??! Guess I can say that Pres Bush did something for me since he's sending what will be my retainer fee. Hope this doesn't take FOREVER!!

Good luck with yours!
  • I was surprised to see one of my local KIA dealers still has four 07 Sedonas and we are almost in May. Does anybody have any idea what I should expect to pay for one of these? I'm currently trying to get information on what options are installed on these vehicles. Two are LX's and two are EX's. The site here only lists 2008 models for invoice and "what others are paying" pricing. Thanks in advance!
  • kitagrlkitagrl Posts: 7
    We are in Philly area and we just got an '07 EX that was a demo car with only 1500 miles on it for like 22,500 but that was "out the door"...taxes, tags, and including, unfortunately, $1000 that our previous 2004 Kia was upended on the loan (because we didn't do as much homework on that purchase, didn't get quite as good of a deal). This EX is loaded with everything including dvd player. It is technically "used" but the title is new so its sort of used/new. So to finance 22,500 (I guess that makes original price around 19,500) was actually pretty good for this luxury model, we are happy with it. The dealership did have two brand new '07 models but for some reason could not quite give us the price we wanted for them. Since the demo car was slightly more "used" we were able to get what we could afford yet still just as nice..and the actual "new" ones did not have DVD which will be great for the kids this summer during vacation! The warranty is still good minus the 1500 miles of course.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,011
    A reporter with a large national newspaper is interested in talking with owners who had considered purchasing a Chrysler Town & Country or Dodge Caravan. If you had considered one of these vehicles and purchased another one instead, please contact Chintan Talati at ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday, May 9.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• I just picked up a new 2008 Kia Sedona LX (with power sliding doors) for $23,300 out the door, including $2000 rebate. Tax is over 7% here (Denver area). It's not a steal, but it seemed to be the best deal I was going to get without waiting for the 09's to push out the 08's.
  • Is the lack of action in this thread an indicator that Kia's aren't selling real good right now? That's not a good sign for Kia. I think the dealers are needing the incentives right now, because (it seems) Kia's aren't moving and there will be a lot of 2008s being sold early in 2009 (from looking at Kia inventory).
  • ratsrats Posts: 4
    has anyone bought one recently with the $4000 rebates available? If so how much and what model trim?

I know minivan sales have been hit hard due to gas prices and new crossovers so I'm thinking you can find some incredible deals. Seems like a good buy for people that drive less than 10K miles a year.
  • Edmunds lists the rebate at $5K in my area (click here) and that's exclusive of any dealer discount on the vehicle. You could easily get $7K off. This is like early 2007 all over again.

But in Kia's defense, they had to do something this aggressive as Honda is secretly offering $3500 in marketing support dollars (click here) to dealers to move '08 Ody's.
  • si88si88 Posts: 39
    Bought a 2008 Sedona EX with every option except tow pkg.

Got $5000 rebate and another $800 employee pricing discount off of invoice.

After TT&L my OTD price was $26,845. Best deal in New Orleans area was a Banner Kia in Mandeville, LA.

I negotiated with Sienna and Honda and closest I came for a middle of the road options packacge was $30K after TT&L.

I'm pleased so far and just hope the Sedona hold up over time.

Good Luck to everyone.
  • My wife just bought a Lx model with the roof rack, cross bars, floor mat options for $17,420. Sticker price of $24,820. They had the base model for a couple grand cheaper. This was at Quirk Kia in Braintree, Ma.

I have been pleasantly surprised by the ride in this van.
  • My brother just picked up an 2008 LX with 8,000 miles on it, was an exec. car, for 14,200.00 What a deal. Man I wish they had slightly used ones when I got mine. Only downside is the 10/100,000 is not transferable. You only get the 6/60,000 which is still great.

This was near Atlanta, Ga .
  • Just bought a 2007 LX with 13,000 miles in Phoenix for $10k.

The ride is very nice. The seller told me this is slightly more than he could expect to receive at auction.
  • Just bought a 08 Sedona lx, with power sliding doors, MSRP $25,890, $5,000 off factory rebate, $1,000 off Christmas special, $1,000 off dealer special, $2,000 off POS Dodge Neon trade in, final price $16,890, not including tax, tags, etc

We found a similarly equipped Chrysler Town and Country for $35,000 MSRP and Odys and Siennas in the high $20s with no where near the rebates offered at Kia.

Plus we are pleasantly surprised at the power and the 5 star safety ratings of the Kia. Plenty of room and storage compartments galore!
  • I just gave deposit for 08 Sedona LX with Rear Entertainment and Power Sliding doors for $18,400 + TTL.
    I researched Toyota Sienna and Honda Odyssey, finally decided to pull the trigger on this one. Do you guys think it is a good deal.
  • After Kia $5K rebate; paid 15,888
  • mczmcz Posts: 1
    I just quoted and get an OTD price of $16998 of 08 Sedona LX without aany options.
    Where do you live? I am in Kansas City, KS.
    Thanks. :confuse:
  • I received a quote for an 2008 LX with no options of $16,099. Now getting a quote for one with DVD and power sliding doors is another story. One dealer told me that I have to get an EX with those options (wrong).

Can anyone recommend any Kia dealers in the Chicagoland area? Or maybe even ones to avoid?
  • Just bought a Sedona at Quirk in Braintree, MA yesterday. I paid $15,890 for a Sedona LX with Dual Power Doors and Rear Entertainment System with my $1500 trade in. This works out to be about $8400 below MSRP.
  • was $15890 the OTD price? I live in TX and my OTD quote is 19,000, no options
  • I just bought a new '08 Kia LX with power sliding doors, roof rack, floor mats, DVD system for 19,230+TTL. I thought that was a good deal until I saw the 15890 above. I am LOVING it so far!
  • That is not a bad price. Probably a bit more then others. I paid $18,200.00 2 1/2 years ago for my 06 and now have 22,000 miles on the van. It has been great and I really enjoy the vehicle. I think the MPG could be a little better but besides that I am happy. My brother picked up a dealer exec 08 LX with 8,000 miles for only $13,000.00

You will enjoy the van and the MPG will get better as the miles break the engine in. Just be easy on it for the first 500 miles. Edmund's long term test got the best mileage at 25,000 miles they were able to see as high as 29 mpg on some highway driving.

A K&N filter and pump your tires up to about 35 / 36 psi will improve MPG a little as well.

I did not get the dvd system from Kia. I Chose to go aftermarket with a new touchscreen head unit and a 10.3 inch screen in the back. very nice and for only $800.00