Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MPV Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• rampage80rampage80 Posts: 3
    Hi Jipster!

Congrats on your new MPV LX as well! I really liked the cosmic sand color too (also the metallic sage green), ultimately went with the blue as they seemed to be disappearing the quickest off the lot and wife liked the color. Frankly I liked all the colors offered this year other than white or black (too hard to keep clean). Sounds like you got a good deal too!

To be honest, I didn't pay that much attention to the rebates - more to the price the other local dealers were advertising, which was $6000 off retail for 2004 MPV LX as of July 7 (which including Mazda rebates of various flavors). So I knew I could get one for $20k with the options I wanted without haggling; the trick was figuring out how low below 20k I thought the dealer would go without tossing me out of his office! One thing is for sure - THEY DO NOT WANT YOU TO VISIT ANOTHER DEALER (I threatened to several times and I was just being honest)! I was seriously there only for a test drive and intended to visit at least one other local dealer, but in the back of my mind knew if I could get my price I was ready to sign on the dotted line since my wife liked the blue and it had the options I wanted. I had seen a low price on this forum for a 2003 model for about 18,500, so I figured with the options already on the car, if I could get the spoiler, organizer and a few other small extras in addition, I'd ask for 19 even, and call the deal done. Dealer came down from 19,750 to 19,500 to 19,250 and then finally agreed to 19 with the extra options - he did mention he had a $250 rebate to use which he simply added to our down payment.

As regards extended warranty, they did not pressure me at all, but I was scarred by having to replace a tranny in my Protege ($1,800 about 5 years ago), so decided to opt for it (figuring I could always back out). I simply added it the remainder of the balance and financed it - $1,100 to go from factory 4 yr/50,000 to 7 year/75,000 (we average only 7,500 miles a year so mileage wasn't a big issue). I tend to be of the "drive 'em till they drop" school instead of the "trade every 4 years" (or I would have never purchased the extended warranty), so seemed to make sense at the time. I do kind of wish I had explored in more detail the Mazda factory extended plan, but I did hear that wasn't as good a deal - I think 6/60,000 or something like that.

Good luck with your new MPV Jipster!

Rampage
  • wxdude10wxdude10 Posts: 2
    Hi Steve,

No. My father-in-law bought it from us for the amount we
    wanted for trade-in. This way he gets a good car and we get our
    van for the price we wanted.

-Mike
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,963
    Excellent!

Dealers make way more money on their used car division so you managed to avoid that whole scene (after the two hours of haggling anyway <g>).

Enjoy the ride,

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Thanks for the info Rampage. My wife and I also considered the Razor Blue and Nordic Green...which are also pretty sharp.Craig & Landreth Mazda had a good selection(10). They were advertising the LX here in Louisville,Ky for about $5,000 off sticker.
    I hadn't intended to buy as well. So,when my wife said she really liked the car, I had the invoice numbers and everything with me. We negotiated till the sales manager started to turn green.So,using that as a guide we decided to buy.We plan on keeping this car for at least 7 or 8 years. We really enjoy the distinctive looks of the MPV and the way it drives and handles. Had almost gone with the Toyota Sienna(am glad now we didn't) for $6,000 more, but dealer experience left us cold.Will be taking a trip to the Smokey Mountains in a month or so...will get back and let everyone know how the MPV did.
  • rampage80rampage80 Posts: 3
    Sounds good Jipster!

The dealer I was at was pretty large - they must have had 25 MPV's sitting on the lot - I was a bit overwhelmed at first, but was also pretty familiar with their inventory from looking at their web site inventory page. I'd say they had 3 blues, 3 greens, about 10 grays and silver metallic, 4 cosmic sand, maybe 2 white and 2 black.

Sales guy told me that Mazda makes smaller numbers of vehicles when trying out a "new" color like razor blue, since they're not sure if the color will be a "hit" or not with the car buying public. They order more of the tried and true colors.

Also told me the engine is made in a Ford plant here in the USA (basically a Ford Duratec V6 also used in Escape I believe) under tighter Mazda spec, then shipped to Hiroshima and installed in Japan, where the body is made, then vehicle shipped to US dealers. I read somewhere that the 5 speed auto transmission is made by Jaguar (thus me buying the extended warranty)!

Looking forward to your trip report!

Rampage
  • brianbbrianb Posts: 13
    From John Kennedy Mazda Phil, PA
    Is this a good deal.
    2004 MPV LX
    Roof Rack
    4 Seasons Package
    Side Airbags
    LX Plus
    Power Doors
    $20,600 plus tax and tags.....
    Could a Toyota or Honda compete with the price?
    You would be paying roughly what I paid for my LX on July 1st brian b.(taking into consideration the $500 more in rebate you are getting).You are pretty close to dealer invoice. So, yeah..that is a pretty good price. I have seen others post for around $1,000 lower. I guess it would depend on dealer stock,demand in your area, how bad they are wanting to get rid of them.Toyotas can't compete with that price...probably about $4k-5k more.You could get a Honda Odyssey LX for at least invoice, which would be around $22,600 with no added options(though they come fairly well loaded).
  • Choices:

I was offered $20k for an LX (+4 seasons, roof rack, etc.) Based on my reading here, I think I can probably push it a bit lower, but I wanted to look at the Ody or Sienna first. This was our first test drive in the minivan market.

At the dealer they also had a "manager's demo" ES with pretty well everything (leather, power doors, Traction control, etc) with about 5k miles on it. My wife really like the leather and the color (metallic gray?)

I'm thinking setting my ceiling price at $20k. Is this a fair offer? Or should I push for lower. Edmunds peg this car at $25k. (I guess before the rebate.)
    If you're setting your ceiling price at $20k...then you can forget about a new Ody or Sienna. For the MPV...You could probably get the new LX for $19k or the ES for $21k. 20k may be reaching a bit for an ES(even though it has 5k miles on it) But,I would get the best possible deal for the ES. Makes wifey happy,saves you big $...and you get a great minivan with a 4 year warranty. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
  • We dealt with the Lee Johnson Chev-Mazda (Kirkland WA) fleet/internet sales guy; very pleasant, no BS. They looked around, gave me a couple quotes a bit higher (with a bit more equipment). I stated my target of $20K out the door and this is what they came back with. It was $12 lower than their initial offer, due to their having to estimate based on Washington's quirky tax/title regs. The base LX has alloy wheels, everything manual that I wanted(sliding doors, seat adjustment), no roof rack, which I didn't want, and pleasant surprise, clear glass (a plus here in cloudy Seattle). I splurged and got a $30 cargo net when we picked up the car. What I see: a very improved version of the '93 Merc Villager that was our best car ownership experience ever, for the same price 11 years later. 190 miles on the clock; we'll see how it goes!
  • Purchased late July, $23,400 including $3K rebate, before taxes. It did come with a roof rack, four season package, and a couple of other minor things.

We bought our at MPV at Wayne Mazda, Wayne, NJ. At the time they had a ton of 'em on the lot. Wayne had the color combo we wanted--Tsunami Blue and gray interior.

We had a very easy buying experience there although it did help that we knew what we wanted after haggling at another dealership and we had all the invoice prices, etc. to show. I think this price was around--or slightly below--the Edmunds TMV.

I thought with the MSRP the MPV was really overpriced. With the rebate and the dealer discount the price became reasonable, and boy, the Mazda dealers were ready to deal! Very different from shopping for Hondas, although I was getting great prices on '04 Odysseys.
  • mmmmmm Posts: 6
    I just purchased a 2004 MPV using the S-plan. I'm going to try to post details on that a little later, but first I'm trying to find out if the S-Plan guidelines have changed such that now it is allowable for Mazda dealers to charge a "reasonable and customary" doc fee. The current FAQ on the Fordpartners.com website still states it is not allowable. While purchasing the van, I was shown a letter typed on Mazda corporate letterhead dated June 2004 and signed by a Mazda corporate vice president stating it was now permissible to charge the doc fee. Anyone know anything about this? Audia8q, if you're out there, is this on the up and up? Thanks in advance.
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    Many mazda dealers said they didnt want to participate in the S-plan program because it is generally more trouble than it's worth...so to encourage more dealers to offer the S-plan they officially allow the DOC fee....if the past they just looked the other way if dealers charged it.
  • What should I expect at this time if I pull the trigger on an 04 ES or LX ? I know the rebates are gone, but should I target below invoice ? And if so, how much below ?

Actually we are looking at two of them. My sis wants the ES. I'm looking at trading in my 01 LX for an 04 LX (wife wants the electric doors).
    I would still try to get the rebate suave. I purchased mine in July when the June rebate had run out....got the 3k rebate. Tell them you will buy if you get the rebate...then see what they say. I would think they may be coming out with another rebate offer in the next week or two. If not I'd say $500 below invoice would be obtainable.Good luck.
  • su_a_vesu_a_ve Posts: 62
    Looks like I'll be going for the 05 instead. There's a 2000 or 2500 dealer cash apparently going on. I have a dealer that is giving me that or still the 3500 on the 04s, but inventory for those is low (with the features I want)
  • ldl20ldl20 Posts: 10
    04' LX in Sunlight Silver, purchased at Wayne Mazda, NJ (didn't get the dreaded 4- box treatment or What do I have to do.... routine).
    Options: LX Plus, Traction-side air bags, 4 seasons, roof rack, wheel locks, cargo net, for 20,600, plus tax with 3.9 % financing. I told them I knew what they were going for (Edmunds, Cars Direct), gave them a price, and they didn't screw around. Highly recommended dealer.
    Congrats on your great deal Idl20 and welcome to the club.Let us know how your van is doing from time to time.
  • Bought a Sunlight Silver 2004 from Capital Cary in Cary, NC. Options installed:

<> 4-Season Package
    <> Power Moon Roof
    <> Rear Spoiler

Paid $24,170 ($28,620 - about $500 over what Edmunds quoted as Invoice, and took the $4,250 rebate). I had a PIN for S-plan pricing and I got a better deal without it. They were not going to give me full trade-in value on my Toyota if I used it.

Had a pretty good experience at the dealer. We both fought hard for what we wanted an tempers definetly flared. However, in the end I did my homework and he went down as low as he could go and that was apparent.
    Post sales experience was great. Felt like I was buying a Mercedes.
  • Purchased from Jim Ellis Mazda. Started with Internet quotes, mostly handled over the phone however. 2004 Mazda MPV with LX Plus, Whitewater Pearl Paint, and I thought a cargo net. Have to call tomorrow to see (not holding my breath, my fault for not looking over everything). Good experience by the way. Everyone is real friendly and answered every question I threw at them. Not one time did anyone ask me what monthly payment I was looking for. Negotiated down to $18,500 before tax, tag, title and they beat my prearranged financing of 4.95% with 4.14%.
This discussion has been closed.