Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MPV Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    I don't disagree...my point was to make sure the consumer gets everything they should get. The roof mfg warranty being one of them. Of course, the selling dealership should make things easier....but if it leaks 4 years down the road and the consumer no longer is in the area of the selling dealer, they still have a warranty to fall back on.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    I didn't add that since the dealer arranged for the sunroof installation at the time of purchase, it was covered under the 3 yr/36k mile warranty.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,574
    Thanks Rich; apologies for beating a dead horse here, but if you got a moonroof through a dealer, wouldn't it be covered at any Mazda dealer during the Mazda warranty period? I guess that's why you said 4 years?

Alenabubs, don't you hate games like that? Sounds like the salesperson just tried to take you out of the market for a few days and wear you down. Good for you for walking!

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• alenabubsalenabubs Posts: 27
    Thanks Steve, I'm pretty disappointed at the moment but calling around for a few more prices just in case dealer #2 falls through. One thing's for sure, I'll be ready to buy the next time I walk into a dealership and get offered a similar price. Do you think dealer #1 will call back, or they tend to just move on?
    In my experience (albeit limited - one new car a decade), the pros will call back.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• bigdadi118bigdadi118 Posts: 1,207
    For me, I don't bother to talk any longer or look at another one. Hit it right there if the quote is right. Your original plan was a 2004 model quotes. Narrow choice in Left-over 2003 models. 2003 looks cheaper than 2004 now but Depreciation also has to be considered (when you want to sell the car in later year(s)) for in one year gap.

For example : You can save $2,000 if you buy '03 model instead of '04, what happen in 2008 when you sell the '03, your selling price'll be $2,000 cheaper than '04
    True, but we're paying cash and don't plan to sell short-term. As an example, we're trading in (or giving away) our old car, which is a 1987 T-Bird. We hold on to our cars for a long time, so the savings will pay off for us, if the price is right.
    Just wanted to first thank everyone for the great advice and for sharing their experiences. We purchased our 2003 ES MPV yesterday in Milford, CT. Great salesman and dealership!! For a total out-the-door price of $24,814 our silver 2003 ES is equipped with:

Moonroof
    Roof rack
    4-season package
    6-disk CD Changer
    Power sliding doors
    Rear step plate
    Cargo Net
    Wheel Locks

We also got $200 for our 1987, 130,000 mile Thunderbird (I couldn't get any local wholesalers or dealers to even think of purchasing it).

The salesman was a pro from start to finish. Contacted him Tuesday, had a quote Tuesday night, then he lowered it by $500 on Thursday once I had my other quotes. My other two quotes (from Bklyn and Jersey) couldn't match the Connecticut price.

Anyway, thanks again. We love our new MPV and our neighbors have been checking it out too!
  • ajnjajnj Posts: 12
    Congrats, alenabubs.

Enjoy your new MPV.
  • bob57bob57 Posts: 302
    Did anyone see the "innovative" flip rear seat that the Mercury Monterey is now advertising?
    "...it's great for tailgate parties.."

Gee, the one in my 3 year old MPV is about to wear out...
    :))
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    They have to push something to get people to buy this van and the Wind...I mean Freestar. The third row seat is the only part of it that has any type of innovation.
  • vronnevronne Posts: 5
    Saw a price for a NEW 2004 MPV LX for $16,999 on the newspaper. Is this a good price?
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Posts: 1,207
    It's a good price if no small prints.
  • kinkokinko Posts: 48
    deals like that happen all the time in the area like So. Cal. My brother bought a loaded 04 Camry LE for $16k a few months ago. He told me that there is only one being sold for that price. Once he saw the Ad on Friday's paper, he had to spend the Friday night outside of the dealership and try to be the first one of the waiting line. He had to purchase a few accessaries from the dealer, and finance it thru the dealer even though my brother had the money in the bank to pay it off. The dealer told him that they have to make money somehow to cover the loss from the sale price. It actually took my brother a couple of tries to be the first waiting in line at dealer's front door.
  • mikesanmikesan Posts: 9
    Just took our Titanium Gray LX 2004 home last night. MSRP was $25,895 and included LX Plus, All Sport, roof rack, and Side air bags and Traction Control. The dealer price was $23,686 which was $300 below invoice. In addition, there was a $3500 rebate. The $500 MAC is gone, but the $2500 rebate has been kicked up an extra grand as of last Saturday. Net price was $20,186. With TTL it was $22,402. Bought from Oak Tree Mazda in San Jose. Also bought a Mazda 6 from them last August. Absolutely no hassle. General Manager said $300 below and I took it. The van was not on the lot but on a sister-dealer's lot. Financed at 4.99%. Terrific dealership to buy from. Selling a 2000 GMC Safari and the driving experience is night and day. Love the MPV. We are planning a trip to Reno or Tahoe next month to break it in.
    The net price you paid was such great deal that you still paid $200 less than using the S-plan. Congradulations.
  • saabermomsaabermom Posts: 8
    If the MPV will end its run in MY 2004 (at least in the U.S.), what do you all think that means for resale values and parts/service availability?

We are considering buying an LX with a few options in a month or two, but are concerned about whether we wouldn't be better off buying a base Odyssey for about $3000 more.

If we keep the Mazda for a long time might it be hard to get serviced? If we want out in a few years will it be impossible to sell?

The $3500 rebate Mazda is offering does make it attractive, but the '04 Odyssey is also selling cheaper since they have a new and improved version coming in the fall. (My sister just picked up and EX-L for $26K.)

Any thoughts?
    All I know is what I read over in Mazda MX-Flexa / Mazda4. I guess it could become an orphan in the same sense that a '98 Odyssey is, and that may affect resale, but I doubt that you'll have any problems getting it serviced.

Used car resales are in the tank. Ok, maybe not used Odysseys, but even those are starting to feel pressure from the new '05 Odyssey.

Steve, Host

my thoughts:
    a base mpv lx costs $18K, which is about $4k less than the odyssey lx that has no CD player and remote keyless entry. But it cost a few hundreds to get the privacy glass on the mpv.
    As long as Mazda is still doing business in US, they have to service the mpv even though they might not selling it.
    There's no law that says Mazda has to service a discontinued model (I've looked for links before, and I'd love to see otherwise). Be stupid not to, but manufacturers drop support for discontinued products all the time. Some say support for existing products is non-existent :-)

Steve, Host

• scott31scott31 Posts: 280
    I thought it was a federal law or such that a company had to supply parts for items up to 7 years after they were discontinued.
    I guess you're referring to the post-warranty service is not guaranteed by Mazda. I can accept that. If my mechanic can service my mpv and cost less after the warranty period, so I'll go to my local mechanic. Steve, are you telling us that Mazda dealer can refuse owners of Mazda 323, 626, 929, Millenia, and protege for services just because all these models had already be discontinued?
    I heard that Oldsmobile owners may take their cars to a GM service department for service.
    No wonder the Camry and Accord can sell themselves, because the model/name had been out there for decades without being discontinued.
    I can understand why Microsoft discontinued supporting Windows 3.1, 95, because there isn't much systems out there run these OS, therefore not much money to make from support it.
    I compared Edmunds trade in/private party #s for Base 2002 MPVs and Odys:

MPV $11,000 Trade in, $12,000 Private Party
    ODY $17,500 Trade in, $19,000 Private Party

Kind of wipes out that $4000 initial spread...

Now, whatever we buy we plan on keeping for 7-10 years, so resale values are less important for us. But, you never know, and that is a HUGE difference (and I suspect that MPV values will drop another notch due to the production/distribution halt).
    I haven't searched lately, but I've never found the 7 year rule (or any federal/state law) that requires the manufacturer to perform warranty service or stock parts for a certain number of years.

Last time I searched, I couldn't even find any contractual info in bid requests from the feds with any similar kinds of requirements.

There was a similar thread over in Isuzu Trooper a few months back; here's a representative post:

troop2shos "Isuzu Trooper" Dec 15, 2003 9:22pm

I guess you guys are gonna make me go look again - if anyone has a clue, please speak up!

Steve, Host

More:

steve_ "Isuzu Trooper" May 14, 2002 2:18pm

Note the response from the Land Rover NA employee who says the parts stocking requirement is an urban legend:

tincup47 "Land Rover Range Rover" May 14, 2002 3:25pm

Steve, Host

I believe that availability of used MPVs in the local market should contribute more to their resale values, more than what the Blue book or Edmunds TMV are telling us what a MPV value is.
    I had been looking for a used 2003 MPV LX in the range of $14K-$15K or 2002 in the range of $11k to $12k, for a long while. No luck. Not many owners would turn around and sell their MPV for these prices. Check out autotraders.com and see how many private sellers out there in your area and what prices they're asking for. I would rather keeping it, unless my MPV has a damaged title. BTW, two months ago, I found a 02 LX in a local dealer who posted sale price of $16K, and it didn't stay there for more than three week. I did a test drive just to see how a two years old MPV would ride. I asked the salesman the odds of buying it for $15k even. You can guess what the answer was.
    If resale value is important to you, buy the Odyssey. Because the most owners who bought 2003 or older Odyssey paid MSRP for it. So logically, you should do better than those owners when it's time to sell it.
    I found that the MPV fit in my garage and budget better than other full/mid-sized vans. I still like to own a Odyssey or Sienna van, but I'd decided to save $4k-$5k buying a MPV and use the savings to finish the basement, at least part of it.
    Buy what you need and be happy with it. Good luck with your purchase.
  • goodluckgoodluck Posts: 2
    We bought our MPV ES for $23,100 last weekend at Oak Tree Mazda, Sunnyvale. The dealership is very nice, this is the sister concern of Oak Tree Mazda of San Jose.

Our ES had:

1. LEather seats
    2. 6 CD changer
    3. all season floor mats
    4. all power attribs - driver seat, windows etc
    5. roof rack

We felt it was a good deal in teh end.
    Good point on the realities of the resale market. I do think that one key reason why there are so few 2002 MPVs out there (and therefore higher prices) is that the car is only a couple years old. I compared the 2002 models simply by virtue of the fact that the Mazda changed signficantly that year...
  • catlady245catlady245 Posts: 19
    I need input from veteran car buyers.. I am interested in a specific van color(razor blue) which my local dealer doesnt have but a distant dealer (15 miles) does.

Can the dealers trade vans and does it affect the price!!!??? The dealer who does have the color I would like is not one who I would like to give my business to..

Thanks..
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    The dealer loses the holdback when doing a dealer swap....on an MPV this can affect the dealers revenue by $400-600.
This discussion has been closed.