Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler Voyager/Dodge Caravan Prices Paid and Buying Experience 2003-2007

Comments

• Just bought 2005 DGC in Augusta/Wichita Kansas fully loaded except leather (best cloth seats I've seen in a long time while the leather seems cheap) and sunroof which I don't believe was available with the DVD and roof storage. Has Premier Group, Curtain airbags, DVD, Sirius,.... Sticker of $32,340. Dealer showed me the invoice and offered me $500 over (traditionally a good deal). This surprised me so I researched further and found that smart buyers were paying 500 to 1000 under invoice. Obviously Dodge gives quite a bit back down the line. I offered $500 under invoice the $30,000. After $2500 incentive and $1000 finance incentive (must finance $10,000 for atleast 4 months) my cost was exactly $26,000 before taxes and fees.

$26,000 (paid) + $2,500 (Manufacture incentive) + $1,000 (finance-which I'll pay off in 4 months) = $29,500.
  • luv2soarluv2soar Posts: 1
    Bought a brand new 2005 caravan for $11995.00. After tax,license, etc it's $13,270. Came with 4 cyl, Air conditioning, CD and nothing else. But it's the color my wife wanted! First 1/2 tank of gas is produced only 17.38 MPG. Slightly better than the perfectly good 1993 MPV with a V-6 I just sold for $2200.00. Oh well, at least she likes the midnight blue. The fit and finish isn't great but not as bad as I expected. I've never bought a new "American" car before (can't count the Ford Festiva made by KIA), only a Toyota. The Caravan rides fine and corners well. The engine produces vibration that can be felt in the gas pedal and the overall road noise is more than I'm used to in my 4Runner. Generally, I like it and hope the gas mileage gets better with engine break-in. Otherwise I'll be cursing the gutless 4-banger!
  • mastiff1mastiff1 Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2005 Lx for 23k on the road. It stickered at 27k, which included tow package, which i love the load leveling suspension and engine block heater. To me this was agreat deal, as the dodge dealer wanted 23k on the road for a grand se without stow and go, but has the luxury package with 3rd row air. i prefered the lx, as the stow and go seats and keyless entry were all i really needed. as for 3rd row air, never had it, dont care. ill get an upgraded after market sound system and dvd player for way less and pocket the cash. other dealers advertised sxt's with dvd for 20k, but i financed on my own and they never had the units in stock or they were pre november build dates. my t&c was bult in march and sold in april.... fast moving dealership, and this price included the chrysler price hike of 400. also, does anyone know who makes the radios in the t&c, the rbk to be exact and what the specs are?? want to get a more powerful radio unit. thanks in advance.
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    Congrats!!! It sounds like you got a good deal on a solid minivan. For $11,995 you can't beat the price!!! Enjoy!!
  • carglowcarglow Posts: 91
    with 6 cylinders.

Is this possible?
  • 1997montez341997montez34 Posts: 201
    Sure. it's a short-wheelbase version with the standard 3.3 liter V6.
  • sol2sol2 Posts: 2
    :confuse:
    Hi,
    I live in S.E. Florida.

1. Most dealers ask for my license, make a photocopy-before I can test drive. One dealer said it was for "insurance purposes." Is this standard norm? I am concerned about I.D. theft. Any suggestions? What's the legality if any of dealers requiring license and keeping a copy?

2. In terms of rebates/incentives etc. is this deducted from the MSRP, Invoice, or negotiated price?

I'm new at buying a new car. So any suggestion is appreciated. Thanks
    1) yes, that is very common when test driving cars. Not only is it for insurance purposes, but also provides the dealer with identification if for some reason they never see the car your test driving again.... ;)

2) On Chrysler/Dodge products, rebates or incentives are usually deducted from the invoice price, not sticker/MSRP. This is the norm when dealing on a Grand Caravan or T & C. It was the situation when we bought our '05 T&C. Also, depending on the dealer you work with, you may have to negotiate in order to get the best price. The dealer I worked with was very straight forward, but not all are.

Good Luck!!
  • trebuchettrebuchet Posts: 1
    Hello all, I am new to the forums. I found this forum while "shopping" for our new DCG.

We ended up getting the 2005 DGC SXT without any added options. Price paid was 21,350 before my trade or downpayment. I don't think I could have gotten better. What do you all think?
  • dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    Sounds good!!! I got a little more due to employee pricing from a DCX friend. But even without that, you can't beat a DGC SXT - just like mine :)
  • timbo22timbo22 Posts: 1
    Yes, it's a standard practice. Be aware though that dealerships will also often run a credit check on you using the info from your drivers license. When the dealership requests your license in order to take a test drive tell them you do not authorize them to run a credit report. Show it to them but do not allow them to make a copy. If they ask you to sign something to take a test drive, insist that the credit check authorization clause be taken out. Be sure to read it as well.

According to the Federal Trade Commission, credit reports may be obtained without the customer's express permission only if the customer is initiating the purchase or lease of a car and wants dealer financing or is writing a personal check.
    Just to add on this....here in Ga they do not put your SS# on your license anymore. This gives the consumer a little protection from unwarranted credit checks.
  • ro22tolro22tol Posts: 24
    I know this has been talked about numeous times, but I would like some recent experiences with DC leather. I am going to buy a 2005 GC SXT within the next month. My last two new GC's (92 and 00) both had cloth, and we have been happy with the quality and wear. The van I am looking at has leather, and we are just unsure about it. For almost $3,000 is it worth it? I have also read that some are not impressed with the leather in the 05's.

Thanks for any input!
    The leather in our '05 T&C is pretty good. People have different tastes as far as leather quality goes. Our van only has 1500 miles on it and so far it is holding up well. The only issue is a slight blemish on the drivers seat bottom. I broght the van to the dealer and they ordered a new seat bottom and will replace it during the first service visit.

IMHO: The smell alone is worth the upgrade.... ;)
  • marine2marine2 Posts: 1,155
    "Interior Features
    Article Subsections
    • Introduction
    • Walkaround
    • Interior
    • Driving Impressions
    • Summary & Specs
    Get Your Discount Price on a
    Dodge Caravan

see more photos

Dodge Caravan's interior is comfortable and convenient. Both Caravan and Grand Caravan can accommodate seven passengers in a 2/2/3 arrangement.

The seats in our 2005 Grand Caravan SXT were nicely finished in light-colored leather. The material is soft and appears to be durable. The seat bottoms are nicely finished on all sides; some manufacturers don't finish the inboard side panels and that leaves an unattractive, unfinished look that you don't notice until after you've bought the vehicle. Faux carbon fiber trim added a touch of high-tech to the cabin."
    I will be traveling to Minneapolis this weekend. I searched the local dealers inventories on the net, and have found one with the options i want. I e-mailed the dealership and have an appointment to check it out.

QUESTION: Do you think that it is two unreasonable to ask for Invoice price minus $1,000.?? Then take the rebates off that price?

Wouldn't the dealers want to get rid of there 05's this late in the model year.

I don't want to make them mad at me, but yet the van is actually a year old, since the 06's will be out shortly.
  • socalawdsocalawd Posts: 542
    Looks like about invoice and then the take the rebate off is what they are selling for according to edmunds TMV and carsdirct.com. But that sounds like a good place to start it never hurts to try, just be polite and firm!! Then 2500 less than invoice with rebate is the place to stop and find another dealer. Have fun it's always nice to get a new car. ;)
  • m_42m_42 Posts: 3
    Greetings,

I received a postcard from my local Dodge Dealer (SW Florida), offering $9000 if I buy a new Dodge by June 30, 2005. It says that one: :Must present postcard upon arrival. All Factory rebates must apply, including Owner Loyalty Incentive. Offer cannot be combined with Dealer Incentives." Is this as good a deal as it sounds? I currently lease an 01 and the lease expires on August 31, 2005. I imagine that I can get a similar deal -when the 06 will be out- for the 2005 models?

Any comments would be highly welcome!
  • hdghdg Posts: 9
    I received a quote for a 2005 DGC SXT in linen gold with power liftgate, Sirius Satellite Radio and 6 CD in dash Cd player for $21,000 including the $2500 rebate and the $1000 trade in rebate. I stated earlier in my negotiations with this particular dealer that my previous quote that he was trying to beat included destination and dealer fees. I e-mailed him to ask if the $21K price included dealer and destination, but he won't be in again until tomorrow at 9am. If it does include those fees, then I think I have one heck of a deal. Invoice price with these options is $26,258 including destination but not rebates according to Edmunds. With the $3500 in rebates, $21K is $1758 under invoice. However, if the $21K doesn't include dealer and destination then I don't think it's a very good deal since the destination is $730 and the dealer fee is probably $250-500.

Thoughts?
  • m_42m_42 Posts: 3
    Well, needless to say that the 9k were just a smokescreen to get people into the dealership. Unfortunately, they were also not interested in coming up with a reasonable deal. Their 'best' offer was 23k for a GC SE with stow'n'go seating and power windows/locks, cruise and the dark tinted windows. Add another 1k for a basic SXT. Needless to say that I left and will either wait until the 2006 model is out and they lower the price or shop elsewhere. For this money I can buy a Sienna, which supposedly has a better track record.
    The dealer in Minneapolis actually had some good prices. I was interested in a
    2005 GC SXT with options of tow group and rear power hatch.

Dealer wanted $22,000 for it, that price is $1,200 below invoice and $3,500 in rebates. They pissed me off with my trade, so I didn't buy it (even though I should have). The salesman even tried one last time as I was driving off the lot!!

I just didn't like the games played. They did however approach what I thought my van was worth (nada wholesale).

I still may go for it, but I am going to wait and see what the new incentives are going to be on the 5th.
    Just remember, the '06's do not have the 7/75K extended powertrain warranty anymore!!
  • jotxjotx Posts: 3
    Friday my sister & I discussed a DGC SXT (no leather, 3 doors power, quad seats, 6 disc changer) w/a saleperson. She said she could probably sell the van to us for $23K. We were in a crunch to return another van we were test driving to another dealership and told her we would call her if we wanted the deal that night. We called her and she said she would wait for us the dealership closed at 7:00 pm and we arrived at 7:10. Anyway, she had a temp tag and had my sister drive the van home and come back in the am to finalize paper work. My sister is 3 months pregnant w/a 17 mth old so the DGC was for the family. Anyway, when we went in the next morning the saleperson said she couldn't get it for $23K but real close. And they could only give us $2000K less for her trade..(2003 Ford EXP, leather, sport pkg., 21,500 mi) They gave her $14K her payoff was $16550. So that added to the price. By the time we got out of there 1 1/2 hours later we had a total selling price w/7yr 75mi ext warr. of $29,900. They said they were giving us the cash back and 0% since it was 4th July holiday. It was such a blur and when they had her finally sign the papers it had $29,900. I was so tired I was shocked when I saw the figure she was to sign off on but didn't say anything, she felt the same as well but said said nothing and she was ready to just get on w/it. That night we were both sick thinking about that she had paid $29900K for a DGC that she only got because it was to be cheaper than the 2005 Honda Odessy. Well at this price it was about the same.

I told her that we need to go down to the dealership in the morning and speak to a manager. They sell Honda's as well and I would like them to take the DGC in exchange for the Odessy. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!! I feel like the biggest sucker and I am sick for my sister who was trying to save money and lower her note w/a larger family vehicle. BTW, I am a female as well and believe that they saw SUCKER on our foreheads. Thanks for your time and interest!

Jo/TX
    Where do I start!!!!

First of all, your sister did NOT pay $29,900 for the SXT. You said in your post that she had negative equity ($2,550) added into the price of the van. Also, she purchased an extended warranty (7yr/70K) that was added into the price of $29,900. So, if you subtract out the extended warranty ($1500 I'm guessing) and the neg equity ($2,550) you get around $25,850. That price is still VERY HIGH for the van she bought. We recently bought a '05 Chrysler T & C Touring (w/ DVD, Side airbags, 6 disc chgr, Sirius, leather, etc) for $23,700.

What rebates were given to your sister? I believe, at the time, there were at least $3500 in rebates.

Was the $29,900 inclusive of taxes, tag and title?
  • jotxjotx Posts: 3
    Yes, I am aware that she had 2500 that was tacked on due to trade and the warranty....that is why I put that in my post. The reason I am so sick and have only ourselves to blame for being so naive is that we started out thinking we were going to pay no more than $24,000 w/ttl. We didn't anticipate buying an extended warranty but I've had a DGC before and we kept it for 2 years and had the a/c go out as well as some electrical problems. Anyway, I'm really upset that we let them give her only $14K for a trade that should have gotten $16K. I am really sick today when I read that Chrysler will being given the employee discount as GM did beginning today. Additionally, as you pointed out w/the trade being taken from the equation it was a bad deal and we were just not using our heads.

My sister and I discussed it last night and she is going to stick out the DGC and try and forget about our bad negotiations. We have no one to blame except ourselves. I just hope that nothing happens to the DGC so she won't really be stuck when the insurance company decides to pay true market value and not payoff.....

Jo -
    Well, what's done is done. There is nothing you all can do now. She bought a nice van, now she just needs to enjoy it. At least you will be more informed the next time a new car is needed.

Good luck and don't feel so bad.....this sort of thing happens more than we all realize!!!
  • 1997montez341997montez34 Posts: 201
    The '05 comes with a 7/70 powertrain warranty. Why did you buy an extended 7/75 warranty?

Negative equity is a bummer. Been there, still paying for that!
    I'm guessing to cover stuff other than the powertrain.

He said he was concerned about electrical problems and the ac unit.
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Posts: 934
    discount, I see it shows about 18K for a Caravan with power conv package and 6 cyl engine. I would have expected lower....?
    For some reason the base Town and Country is priced lower than the Carvan with 6 cylinders.

I've seen T&C's advertised for $16,500
This discussion has been closed.