Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln LS: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• heyjewelheyjewel Posts: 1,046
    Have you tried switching AdvanceTrac OFF? Could be it's gone whacko and is riding the brakes.
  • heyjewelheyjewel Posts: 1,046
    "2) Reservoir for the cooling system oil was low. Once filled the last of the noises went away."

Er, 'cooling system oil' ???
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,689
    Probably the power steering fluid that powers the hydraulic cooling fan.
  • 45674567 Posts: 2
    Thanks for your input. I bought the car used August 2004
    Warranty expired August 2005
  • We have the same problem with our 2000 LS. Sometimes it stalls on rapid acceleration. It usually will restart but it could be a dangerous situation. The dealer has had the car for two weeks and everything they check comes out ok and they say they are stumped. Could air control motor check test ok and still need replacement,the same with the coil and fuel pumps? we are at a loss on what to do. Any suggestions?
  • ON THE LS V8 2001. WOULD YOU PLEASE TELL ME WHICH ONE AND WHAT DOES THE COOLANT BLEED VALVE LOOK LIKE. THANK YOU.
  • Yes, my wife's car which we bought with about 20,000 miles on it had a tire noise which the dealer said was a flat spot on a tire. They put new tires on it and it was ok for about 5000 miles and then it started again. When we rotate the tires and put the noisy tire on the rear it isn't as noticeable but I can't offer a solution.
  • tswantswan Posts: 1
    weman,

Did u get a solutioin on this? i have the same car with the same problem. im handy and technical and i think i can handle replcaing a sensor without the dealer raping my wallet over something so simple. how did you go about fixing this "fuse".

any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

thank you in advance
  • mwdreammwdream Posts: 91
    I'm thinking of buying a 2003 LS. Can people please tell me the most common problems with the car and thoughts, etc.... it seems like a good amount of car for the money. But I'd like to know the reliability. I will have some factory warranty left on it.

Thanks for all your help!
    Reliability is good. Most common problems are the transmission valve body (probably already replaced if it was a problem) and higher than average wear on one side of the rear brakes.
  • cob12cob12 Posts: 3
    I just purchased a 2000 LS v6 and it definitely has the drone... I guess the halfshafts need replaced if I am reading this right. (although I get the noise b/t 2200 and 2500 rmps in both 4th and 5th gear - little different than an earlier post I read).

Does anyone have an estimate of how much this should cost me?

Does this have to be a dealer fix or could I have another (less pricey) auto shop do it?

and one last... if I don't fix it, does it really cause any damage? or is it just an annoyance?
    No damage, just noise, and any shop could do it. No idea on the cost.
  • Hi guys, I just purchased an 04 ls v8 and the odometer or at least I think its the odometer only has enough spaces for 99,999.xx miles. It doesn't have enough digits to break 100k. A few people have been telling me that it must be some form of a trip because all digital odos can do 999,999.xx. I don't have a manual. I saw the 2 trip selections above the odo where it says miles. Was wondering what I am missing. Thanks alot.
    You can get a manual online here:
    https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/owners_manuals/default.asp

When you hit 100K, it drops the 2nd digit to the right of the decimal (100,000.0).
  • cob12cob12 Posts: 3
    This is a followup to #586 above... I am no longer 100% certain that I have the halfshaft drone... I have noticed that not only does it not happen at the rpm's noted in message 430, but it only happens once I have 'hovered' in that rpm range for a bit, not if I just accelerate through it - this leads me to believe that it only occurs when the torque converter locks up - so that shouldn't have anything to do with the half shafts should it?? just don't want to fix something that isn't a problem?!

Has anyone actually had the halfshaft fix done? Did it work? Price?
    Thanks.
  • lateralglateralg Posts: 929
    It does only occur when the torque converter locks up. The RPM at which it occurs depends on whether the engine is an 8 or a 6. The 6 will occur at an RPM that is 8/6, or 1.33 x the 8 cylinder RPM.

The drone is the half shafts resonating with the firing impulses of the engine. When the converter is locked, there is a direct mechanical connection from engine to half shafts.
  • I have read the dreaded drone noise on the Licoln LS is from rear half shafts. Is there anywhere else besides a Linc. dealer that I can purchase them?
  • I am having same issue on my 2000 LS
    should I look at replacing the half shafts or torqu convertor

Also any alternative place of purcahse other then the Linc dealer?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,876
    A reporter from a large local newspaper would like to speak to consumers who have or had a Lincoln LS and really liked the vehicle. If you would to speak with the media, please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact info., city/state of residence no later than February 1, 2006.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Hello all.

I am looking at a 2001 Lincoln LS with 73K miles. Would anyone not recommend this purchase?

I don't want to buy it and within six months have to begin shelling out a lot of money for repairs or enhancements...

Please advise!!!!
  • I HAVE A 2000 LS
    I HAVE A COOLING PROBLEM. MY FAN IS VERY LOUD WHEN THE CAR IS WARM. IT HOWLS ALMOST LIKE A CLUTCH FAN OR A FLEX FAN WOULD. I REPLACED THE FAN BUT IT DID NOT FIX THE PROBLEM. I ALSO HAVE TEMP SPIKES WHEN THE FAN IS LOUD(I THINK IT IS SLOWING DOWN) THIS PROBLEM STARTED AFTER THE DEALER REPLACED THE VALVE COVER GASKETS. I TOLD THEM ABOUT MY PROBLEM BUT I WOULD HAVE TO PAY THEM TO CHECK IT OUT.
    DOES ANY ONE KNOW WHERE I CAN GO TO FIND OUT HOW THE COOLING SYSTEM WORKS ON THIS CAR, LIKE WHAT RELAYS & SENSORS MAKE THIS FAN WORK.. THIS CAR HAS 60 THOUSAND ON IT AND IS A V 8... SHOULD I CHANGE THE STAT WITH THE MILES I HAVE??? ADVICE ANYONE
  • My 2000 LS Sport had a parking lot accident and the rear bumper cover got cracked. Searching the internet, I found that bumpers.com had painted replacements at a reasonable price. My questions are: Anyone have experience with bumpers.coms? and is this a job that an "average joe" can accomplish?
    Most of the 2000 problems were fixed with the 2001s. The only major thing I can think of is to check the valve cover gaskets. They can leak and kill the COPs (coil on plug) which can get expensive. Other than that most of the problems are minor (few hundred bucks at most).
    I know several who have bought from them with no complaints. I think you can put it on with hand tools.
  • amilfamilf Posts: 3
    How change Headlamp Assembly, Right (Passenger Side)
  • my mechanic says that the torque converter is making an unusual noise at low rpm's on my 2000 ls v8. says it needs to be replaced. what will happen if i don't replace it? is a noise normal? will synthetic supplements help?
  • Hi. I have that same burning smell that everyone is talking about in my 01 ls v8 and recently just started seeing smoke from engine bay. Thanks to all you guys and this forum i know the problem is the valve cover gaskets. I was just wondering if anybody has any easy ways or short cuts on changing them. And how long would it take> Thanks
    No short cuts. Several hours with a lot of sockets and swivels and extensions.
  • Great thanks. Any major components I have to remove to access them any easier?
  • 2000mtx2000mtx Posts: 10
    Sorry. forgot my account.
    The noises I'm hearing are from the hydraulic fan or that system. Check the owners manual under the cooling system or for the hydraulic fan and you'll see it requires power steering fluid in it's own reservoir.

Still, I don't know exctly what is making that noise. Luckily, this winter, I haven't had any noise problems since filling thate reservior.
This discussion has been closed.