Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Matrix Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• I am planning to purchase a 2007 Matrix XR (no additional option/package) in Toronto, Canada and has an offer at C$22,510.00 (including admin fee & freight/delivery, before tax). Is it a good deal?
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    If you're only getting 4 years worth of oil changes/tire rotations for $1255, then assuming 4/yr service interval = 16 over 4 years = $78/service interval, and if you're just getting an oil change/tire rotation/inspection, that's not worth it. I don't know what other maintenance you'll have on the car before 55,000 miles either.
  • mrp2mrp2 Posts: 2
    I did not close on a Matrix 07 (base model 5M) because of a problem on the upholstery of the driver seat. There was a void (~1 inch) left/rear corner (where one seats on) so that the internal white foam was sticking out. It could clearly be seen standing up and before entering the car. It seemed to me that the upholstery had not been properly placed on the frame of driver seat or that someone with a considerable weight had seated on it, forcing the foam out. There was no indication of tear and was not observable on the front passenger seat.

The sales person stated that this is how the base model comes from Toyota. I asked to see other models. A smaller void (0.5”) on the same place was observed on another base model but not on a XR model.

The dealer was unconcerned and would not give me a “Due Bill” for this problem and insisted that Toyota warranty would cover this. The car on the lot was the one I wanted. I was ready to buy right then as we had agreed on the price. Instead I wasted 3 hours of my time.

Has anyone inspected the driver seat cloth upholstery for this problem? What opinions about the cloth used in the Matrix seats are out there?
  • manoamanoa Posts: 3
    I am in Milwaukee. I was offered a price of $18,634 for a Red 2007 Toyota Matrix XR 2WD AT with the following options:

QP: extra value package #2
    EV: AM/FM in dash 6 CD changer
    AB: Antilock brake system
    CK: all weather guard package
    FE: 50 state emissions
    CF: carpet floor mats (4pcs)
    BE: Side Airbag

Also, I was offered to trad in my 03 VW Golf 51,000 mi for $8100, a little bit higher than the edmunds' trade-in value.
    Can anyone tell me if this price is reasonable?
  • Hell all...looking to buy a 2007 Matrix XR this weekend in Northern California. The vehicle inquiry report from the dealer is for 20,493...this is with Service Pack #2, driver/pass. and side curtain air bags, ABS/EBD, floor mats, rear bumper protector, 6 disc changer. We settled over the phone for 19,800. Is this a good deal...or should I haggle some more?? OTD is: 21,463
    The dealer is picking the car up for me tomorrow. :shades:
  • I recently made my purchase. I did own a 2002 Honda Civic EX Coupe 5spd. Loved the car and for 74,000 miles worry free. I sold it and bought a Certified Pre-Owned Matrix:

2005 Toyota Matrix XR AWD
    Black Pearl Metallic
    -6 disc in-dash CD changer
    -leather wrapped steering wheel
    -pwr. moonroof
    -XR body kit and fog lamps
    -16" alloy wheels
    -cargo mat
    -rear bumper protector

I paid $18,000 for this car from Toyota of Dartmouth Massachusetts. Took me a full month to find it because I wanted specific that were hard to come by, namely the color, the AWD, and other features that I had on my Civic that I would never give up (who knew it was so hard to find a Matrix with a moonroof.) Anyways, the car is a bit slower than my Civic was but the amount of space and comfort is awesome. I recently took it along with my brother, father, and uncle to a NY Jets game. We live in Milford, CT about an hour from the city (NY). The car was loaded with a folding table (which fit right in the back no problem), coolers, gear, chairs, food, and the grill. I made it there and back with less than a half a tank of gas. Everyone was comfortable and people in the parking lot at the tailgate were amazed how much my little car fit compared to their SUVs.

The AWD was a big factor in my purchase when I was looking for this car. Me and my girlfriend drive all over the place, including upstate New York. Not to mention the 25 mile commute to work in snow would not be something my Civic would like. This car is just an all-around great vehicle. It looks slick with the creased body lines, it is sporty and handles very well, and the cargo room is amazing.

I did take a quick look at a few other vehicles, namely the Vibe which to me is fairly ugly and bland looking, and I have no need for roof rails. And the Mazda 3 hatchback, which

A)Lacked the amount of cargo space the Matrix has by a lot
    B)Rear seat room was horrendous
    C)Walked into the dealer and after about 20 minutes of standing in the showroom, walking the lot, and literally standing at a salespersons desk while they sat there was not approached or asked for help by anyone. The next day I drove up and bought the Matrix.

Bought it with 29,000 miles on it, so far I am at 40,000 and have had it for almost 6 months. So I do put mileage on it, and the car has been nothing but pleasant!
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    I'm getting interested in the Matrix as a car for my daughter (relatively new driver), but haven't been able to find it on the internet or Toyota site as to what grade of gasoline is required.

Can a current owner confirm that it runs on regular gas, as opposed to Premium...thanks.
  • beantownbeantown Posts: 227
    Regular is fine....and recommended.
  • I recently purchased a 2007 Toyota Matrix XR with a 5-speed manual, Extra-Value Package #1, All Weather Guard Package, and carpeted floor mats.

I arranged to purchase the car from a local (Wisconsin) dealer, via their website. Here's a very complete(!) description of the process:
    a_cooper, "Internet vs. Traditional Car Buying" #1388, 11 Jan 2007 8:50 am

Essentially, the MSRP as equipped was $17,790. Edmunds' TMV price is $17,335. My informed estimate places the invoice price at $16,145.

The dealer's initial reply for my website request for a quote was $16,424. This is more than $900 LESS than Edmunds' TMV, and only a couple hundred dollars over invoice. Tax, title, and license were extra.

After a final test drive, we agreed on the price and I was out the door in about an hour. They made it a very quick and painless transaction, with none of the games or hidden fees often associated with car dealers.

I perhaps could have chiseled him for a deeper discount, but the Matrix XR is fairly low-priced to begin with (under $18,000), is in relatively short supply, and according to my research, currently offers no other factory rebates or incentives to the dealer.

I also feel that every auto dealer, like any other business, deserves to make SOME kind of profit margin, and I was not determined to cut him to the bone on price. Instead, I wanted to award that profit to a deserving dealer that seems to be working hard to polish the tarnished image of sleazy car dealers.

After a few weeks with the new car, I couldn't be happier, either with the Matrix or the Internet buying experience.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    last night on my second Matrix. Yes, second. My first one was an '03 bought in early '02 when they first came out, and my first foray ever into the world of automatics, which is a miserable trip I will never make again! Sold that one after 18 months, but always missed it.

So last night I picked up an indigo blue XR 5-speed stick, EVP #2, 6-CD, mats, ABS, what am I missing? Sticker was $18,960, bought it for $17,934 + fees, which appears to be about $500-600 over invoice, fine by me. And just like other posters here, that was an internet deal, just walked right in and signed on the dotted line, no haggling. It was my first time ever doing that, and I think that's the future of car-buying for me.

I already love having a sunroof again, I like that the newer models have some blue and white in the speedo and tach (my '03 was an all red dash, including gauges), and the stick shift is the only choice for this car for me. It makes it a lot more peppy than the auto.

Interestingly, that dealer had a leftover '06 XRS, sticker $22,2xx, fully loaded, that I could have had for about $2000 more. Decided to give it a pass.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,951
    I thought we were buying a beater this week?

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

we were, but none of them panned out. They were all either too beaten or already sold, and quite a number never even responded to my initial inquiry. :-(

But it works out better this way anyway - I get a Matrix with a stick shift, the way it should have been my first go around with this model, the way it would have been if I had been more patient in '02. :-)

• Congrats on the new car, and your renewal in the CCBA club is being processed.. ;)

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    Okay...I'll bite

CCBA = ???? Credit Card Buyers of Automobiles?
    CCBA = Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous. Check out News & Views to see that thread - there are many of us addicts in there. :-)

• Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• Recently just pulled the trigger and bought one. We prenegotiated through email and phone with several dealerships and just walked in to sign the deal.

2007 XR
    Auto
    ABS
    Value package #2
    6 CD changer

$400 recent grad rebate

We paid $18600 out the door, considering we have 6% tax rate here, we are only paying about 1-200 above invoice.

We could have done better because after the purchase, we emailed the other dealerships and two of them readily matched this price.
  • I'm an artist in the Bay Area and need to cart artwork/equipment around--I was happy with my old Camry 5 DR hatchback but time to replace...After checking a lot of models seems like the Matrix offers the space I need.

I found a preowned 2006 XR AWD, auto, 11600 mi, all power, ABS, side airbag, alloy wheels, moonroof, orig warranty, at dealer asking $17998, CARFAX says 1st owner corp fleet lease registered San Ramon, 11500 mi, 2nd owner held it for only 3 mos in Riverside--can anyone advise me whether this is a good deal/ should be checked out/ or any possible catch? Thanks!
  • Hi all,

I am looking at buying a 2007 Matrix XR and the toyota.com web site shows four major option packages for the XR (for SF bay area zip codes)

Opt A: not a package at all
    Opt B: EVP#1 + 17-in aluminum wheels
    Opt C: ABS + EVP#1 + moonroof
    Opt D: ABS + side air bags + EVP#2 + 6-disc CD changer

I would prefer a combo of "ABS + side air bags + EVP#1". Will this combo be hard to get because it does not fit one of the four common option packages? Would those of you who bought this car recently let me know how easy/difficult to get this car with uncommon option combo?

I am considering buying a new matrix vs. a 2004/2005 matrix and if I cannot get my desired options combo, I might as well buy a used one and pay less.

Thanks much,
    rookie11
    Well, I bought a car that was not any of those combos (mine is ABS + EVP#2 + 6-disc, no side airbags), and I am in the Bay Area also. My experience has been that you need to take what the website says with a grain of salt, as there will always be some vehicles floating around that don't match any of the "available" configurations.

Now, Toyota seems to have kind of an attitude about optional safety features, only putting them on the more expensive cars (as built), so getting a car with just ABS and/or side airbags may be very difficult. How likely would it be that they would build one with just EVP#1 and SAB+ABS? I would say probably not that likely, as they are building pretty much every single XR with EVP#1 these days. Once you're sure you want to go ahead with the Matrix, sit down with a dealer and explain that you want an exact configuration and that you would be willing to wait for it to arrive if necessary. I bet they will be able to find one somewhere, and sometimes they will actually take a factory order if not.