Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MINI Cooper Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• cct1cct1 Posts: 221
    I forgot about the 2006's having the paddle shifters, but those are really secondary--not too many people are going to be using them on a regular basis if they have an automatic, although they should be more responsive in the 2007's. They are nice to have though. More important is the improved tranny in the 2007's and improved ride.
  • plektoplekto Posts: 3,738
    More important is the improved tranny in the 2007's
    That's the big deal, and why old Minis won't be collectable like they were. The new ones are going to be better and will hold their value like the original series did(and will for several more years until the 3rd gen comes around in 2012 or so.
    F.Y.I. ~ My 2006 does have the Paddle Shifters as standard. You won't have to wait for a 2007 to get them.

It just hit me,,,What are you driving? The MCS, and the convertibles have paddle shifters--these are automatic transmissions with gearing and NOT CVTs. I forgot about this. To my knowledge, none of the CVT's ever had paddle shifters, so you have the automatic tranny, which performs better than the CVT. I'm not sure how a CVT would incorporate a paddle shifter.
    I very seriously doubt this. 20 years from now, it'll be the first generation mini that will be the collectible, not the second. The only model that I think people will avoid are the CVT Mini's.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,094
    They sell way too many MINIs to ever be collectible... Though, certain models may end up being more desirable from a driving standpoint...

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

While in Europe this may be true, I'd respectfully disagree with you on this as it applies to the U.S., at least at present--when BMW made the MINI, it was almost on a whim--they weren't anticipating nearly the demand that ended up occurring--it's unheard of for a car in this segment to be selling at MSRP five years after introduction. Where I live, there are very few MINIs; I still get looks/comments on the car, despite the fact they've been around five years now. I'm not recommending anyone by a MINI as an investment or possible collectible; buy any car as an investment is a foolhardy proposition, but I do think the MINI has an excellent chance of being a collectible down the road. There were quite a few of the original Mini's produced, and this hasn't stopped them from being collectibles--try getting you hands on one. It can be done, but at high price (I'd love to get one myself someday).

Where you may be right is where BMW goes with this in the future--there is the Traveller concept, coming in 2008, and an AWD MINI in the works for 2008 as well (this isn't a track monster, but more of an inclement weather type vehicle, which really is a shame). BMW has also ratcheted production up a notch-with time, the market may become saturated, and with the different models coming out, diluted. Time will tell...
  • I ordered a Cooper at Mini of Mountain View, CA on Oct 2nd :) . And dealer told me last week that it was released from distribution center on Nov 30 and I will be able to on Dec 2nd. But yesterday, the deal called me and said that the car had been called back to the distribution center for unknown reason. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Does anyone have the similar experience? Is that possible that the car got some damage during the transportation to dealership?
  • dealer called. He said that there is a nick in quauter panel. It is called back to distribution center.

sigh, brand new car becomes a refurbished one. :sick: :cry:

Please give me some suggestion on this issue?

Thanks a lot!
  • I recently used the Mini website to construct my ideal Mini Cooper S, and was surprised to see it priced out for only $23,000 and change (I have no interest in many of the expensive extras, like leather and sunroof, even if money were no object).

Few questions:

1- Are dealers still insisting on sticker price?
    2- What is the maintenance interval (5,000 miles? 10,000 miles?) Mini dealers are few, and I imagine it'd be a pain if I had to go for an oil change every 5000.
    3- Are you able to comfortably fit a large dog in the back of your Cooper? Almost all of the reviews of the Mini discuss just the driving experience, and nothing about practical issues like cargo hauling abilities. It is a hatchback, afterall.
  • 1: Dunno. I would assume that the new model (2007) sells for sticker.
    2: 10000 miles.
    3: 2006 Cooper fits a 50 lbs Siberian husky. Don't bring much else though...

The MINI is awesome though. You won't regret it, there is no car like it.
    1. For a 2007, expect MSRP. For the 2006's, there are major discounts.

2. 10,000 miles for first oil change (although I'd do the first one at 5,000, next one at 10,000, then go every 10,000).

3. With the rear seats down, it'll be fine. With the rear seats up, forget about it.
  • plektoplekto Posts: 3,738
    IMO, the new one is kind of... I don't liek it as much as the old one as far as looks, but the rest of the car is slightly better in every way. Kind of like how Porsche doesn't change their 911 much - just evolves it a bit every generation.

The S is defiantely worth it. Ten years from now, nobody will want the base model by comparison(same is true with most cars - always get the better engine/suspension). I'd recommend the suspension upgrades. Anything that adds hard value to it(like the grille-mounted lights and such) and improves the handling. The sunroof, leather, and so on... not really important. Plus, the "leather" they use is pleather - it's leather bits/powder that's formed onto a cloth/vinyl backing and textured to look like leather. Not any better than the stock cloth/vinyl stuff. Mercedes, BMW, and all of the rest use this stuff all the time.

If you want real leather, you can get the entire interior done for abot $1000-$1200 yourself - with stuff that will last 30-40 years.

You can ditch the sport package and the luxury package as well - and add the stability control, better suspension and A/C and such seperately. And save a couple of thousand dollars. Auto dimming mirrors and fancy wheels are a waste of money. (the stock non-runflats also handle almost the same(the car is seriously underwieght for its tires as it is) and are less money to replace)

I personally like the dark green/dark blue with lots of chrome look myself, but that's up to you. I sent an email off to BMW about the possiblity of adding a chromed roof option as well - we'll see if that's possible :)

One thing, though...
    You should change the oil when you get it immediately - like at 30-50miles, then follow a normal oil change routine. Contrary to what the manufacturer states, you want to drive the car carefully but rev it progressively higher during the first few days of its life - to help it break-in faster. Then dump the oil, because it will have tons of grit in it that you don't want circulating for a few months.

This is what all professional racers do with their engines and it works - but almost all manufacurers don't point out that 75% of the break-in takes place in the first 50 miles or so - because they can't guarantee that the owners will actually change the oil after quickly breaking it in. Blame the lawyers for this one. They recommend you baby it because this creates almost no major break-in, but also, more importantly, creates almost no bits of metal either(and no chance of anything breaking if you forget to change the oil for a few thousand miles).

*note* if you do a quick-break-in, you MUST dump the oil. It's also a good thing to do because you never know who was test-driving the vehicle before you got it.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
    Ignore the hype on the page - the pictures are the key.(and this is how you also break-in a typical replacement engine if your car needs one, though most rebuilders do this for you before it gets out the door)

*edit*
    This has to be done under load - actual driving. Revving a new engine to redline with no load can cause damage(you need engine compression to make the rings seat). Technically it's not the revving, but the winding down while in gear that seats the rings quickly. But it's hard to NOT rev a Mini during the first few days ;)
  • Hi, I'd like to get an XM radio for my 2005 MC. Is this something I can buy at Circuit City and have them install? Should I have my Mini dealer install it? Don't know much about these things and would like some input. I already subscribe to XM for the hand-held portable radio that I take with me on long runs and treadmill workouts. Thanks for any help.
  • cdusacdusa Posts: 2
    Yes. Bought one today (delivery on the 17th - the official launch day in US - as I was told). Not a penny under MSRP.
    No. You won't be able to do a direct install of XM. However, you can get Sirius radio, and a lifetime subscription is included in the cost. BMW owns a substantial portion of Sirius stock, so there is no XM option in Mini/BMW.

Circuit City won't be able to do it in radio form--the new 2007 MINI is set up so that aftermarket stereos are virtually impossible to install--the radio is integrated into the car in such a way that its impossible to swap headunit without destroying the center stack of the car. If you're looking at a 2006 however, the headunit can be swapped out. I wouldn't take it to circuit city though--have it done by a good sound shop if you go this route.

You could use a portable XM unit in the 2007 though--the mini comes standard with an AUX/IN, and if you don't want to go the Sirius route, this would work with an autokit type set up.
  • Appreciate it! I have a 2005 MC. I happen to subscribe currently to XM, but I'd be willing to change if there really is no monthly fee with Sirius after having it installed in my Mini. (Both companies run the music I like.) I'll just take it to my dealer and have them install it. Thanks for the help. :)
    Ok, I understand now...The lifetime subscription to Sirius only applies to the new 2007 models, I don't think if you have it installed in a 2005 you'll be able to get that deal--but its worth asking your dealer. The 2006 and earlier have to pay a yearly fee unfortunately (I have a 2006 with Sirius--love it by the way--and MAYBE with an aftermarket install at your dealer, you can get the lifetime Sirius subscription, but I doubt it--again, its worth a shot). You can still have the sirius radio installed by the dealer though--although its a pricey instillation, one of the advantages is the integrated antenna, which has been a problem with other aftermarket solutions.

One other thing is that if you have a 2005, you can get an aftermarket system installed, and you should be able to get XM instead. You'll want to go to a good audio shop thats had experience with Minis though--don't go the Circuit City or Best Buy route. It probably wouldn't cost you anymore than the Sirius install at the dealer; in fact it may be cheaper. Just make sure you go somewhere reputable that have worked with a Mini before.
  • According to Yahoo Auto, the 2007 Cooper gets 32/40 miles per gallon, while the S gets 29/36.

That's pretty darn good, especially for the more powerful S.
  • erc1erc1 Posts: 21
    Hi,
    I have my eye on an '06 manual in Columbus, OH. Right now our dealer is pretty flush with stock (about 20, half 07, half 06). I really want a stick (dealer says no base sticks until much later), and I have a moral objection to paying sticker for a car, so I was thinking an '06 might be for me. How much should I offer not to get laughed out of the dealer? $300 over invoice? $500? does anyone think this is a stupid idea?
    Five hundred over invoice on a 2006 has been done. Three hundred is worth a shot, but I bet you could get five hundred over invoice--and if not there, try some other dealers; there are others out there giving pretty good deals on the 2006's if your local dealer won't. Expect MSRP on the 2007, but you should be able to bargain on the 2006's, especially now, as the dealers really want to clear them out.
  • I have the opportunity to purchase a 2005 Mini-Cooper with clean car fax and in perfect condition. Drives like a dream. Has leather seats, panoramic sunroofs and a number of other upgrades. From what I can tell the orginal price was around $28,000. I am able to purchase it for $18,700. Is this a good deal? I understand these cars tend to hold their value. Also, how does it handle in the snow? It seems like it would be better being closer to the ground, but then of course not if you get stuck in unplowed snow. Would appreciate any feedback. After spending two full days driving this litte cutie, I am in love with it!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,094
    Is that a MINI Cooper S model? If not, then $28K seems awfully high for an original price..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• ticatica Posts: 64
    What is a 'stick' and what does 'invoice' price mean exactly?
    Invoice is what the dealer actually payed for the car.

Sticker price is the MSRP--the sticker you see on the car itself, or what the dealer is selling the car for. Its substantially marked up over the invoice.

For a car less in demand, the way to go is to find the invoice price, and negotiate off of it rather than the sticker price. For years, the Mini sold at MSRP--no discounts, or rare discounts. It was more common to pay sticker and have a few freebies thrown in (mats, etc). This isn't necessarily a bad thing to the owner--it helps maintain the value of the car--ie less depreciation.

However, with the 2007s officially released this weekend, dealers will be more inclined to deal on the 2006s.
  • I may of course be way off, I was looking at the base price and adding in the amounts for the options.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,405
    "stick" is as in "stick-shift" or manual transmission.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• Probably too late, given when you posted, but I rejected a Mercedes SLK in '05 because it had been banged up during transport and the front bumper partially (and badly) resprayed while the car was in port.

There's no reason for a car with 12 miles on the odometer to be less than perfect.

It's resale is already less than that of car with a full original factory paint job.
  • i received a call at 11am today. my S arrived an hour before. i went straight after work and picked up my pepper white cooper s. there is a difference in how it drives compared to the previous s (and i haven't even put the sport mode on). i can't wait until the break in period is over...i paid 27k (and change) out the door. all i got was the sport package, lsd, stereo upgrade, extended warranty and lo jack.
  • minime7minime7 Posts: 8
    Just purchased a 2007 Mini S. Mellow Yellow/checkered carbon black cloth. Base MSRP was 21,200 and options included Sport package (1,400), leather steering wheel ($300), and mats, detail/full tank of gas (175.00). The dealership had installed sportier wheels on it to the tune of $3500 and agreed to pull them off. They had also installed "driver lights" ($900) which we didn't care about, but they couldn't remove them without damage to the grill, so we split the cost and kept them. With license, destination and title, out the door for $24,500. So, basically paid MSRP. After calling several dealerships, it's apparent they're loading the cars up with options and most Mini S's seem to run $26,000 to 30,000. Would like to know what forum members think of the run-flat tires? Have heard some negatives.....
    The second generation runflats on the 2007 Mini are substantially better than the runflats on previous generation--especially if you have the goodyears.

Which tires did you get, all-seasons or performance? If you went the all season route, you're fine--that means your using it mainly for everday driving. If you got the performance tires, you're still probably fine (especially if you got the Goodyear Excellence runonflats; these have gotten rave reviews overseas, but aren't available from dealers yet. Should be soon though now that the Mini's are hopefully shipping with them). The Dunlops are good too, but the Goodyears are supposedly the best.

If, however, you're doing anything on the track, you'll probably want a different nonrunflat tire. These are lighter, with a softer sidewall, and stickier--they perform better at the track. If, however, you're just into occasional spirited driving, I'd stick with the runflats, especially since the ride comfort problems with the previous generation runflats have been addressed with the new generation of runflats.