Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MINI Cooper Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kali4niakali4nia Posts: 4
    I actually ordered my car w/ Long Beach MINI, and trust me it's impossible to get below MSRP. I got the 07 MINI Cooper S Pure Silver w/ bonnet strips and fog lights (front & rear). Like yourself I called around but then decided to go w/ Long Beach MINI. But I got them to throw in the 4-piece carpet that worth $100. ha..ha.. Can't wait to get mine at the end of this month. :)
  • mcsredmcsred Posts: 2
    someone mentioned that The best thing you can do for your engine is to change your oil and filter after the first 20 miles. I called my dealer today, and was told that it has been done once the car arrives in the U.S.A. is it true?
  • mini_dreamsmini_dreams Posts: 10
    i read once that someone said they run the engine at the factory and then change out the oil, but i don't know if that's true. probably not. or maybe they do that at the Vehicle Distribution Center.

there's a lot of back and forth on this topic. some think that you should change the oil after the first 1,000 miles to get any engine shavings out that happen during the engine break-in. my dealer swears by the 10,000 mile oil change.

I just figured I might as well get mine changed early... can't hurt anything and can only help. So I got mine done at 3,000 miles and paid for them to do it ($45 in labor plus $36 in oil that I bought at Costco. I then went on a trip to the West Coast and had it done when I got back since I put another 4,000 miles on it. The next change is in another 3,000 miles and will be part of the 10,000 checkup.

If you're worried about it, I would do the 3,000-4,000 mile change, although everyone says the synthetic oils will hold up for 10,000.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    Early oil changes can actually hurt sometimes.
    Some vehicles have special break in oil that absolutely should not be changed ahead of schedule by over anxious owners. Changing the oil early would cause you to lose the benefits of using the special oil for the specified period.
    Other manufacturers run the engines at the factory and replace the first oil before it's installed in the car or manufacture the engines with newer techniques that don't result in contamination problems from 20 or 40 years ago.
    Not sure if that applies to Minis or not, but you can ask your dealer and/or the BMW/Mini corporate offices rather than taking it upon yourself to change the oil at 20 miles or 500 miles because of 1960's era metal shavings fears.
  • mcsredmcsred Posts: 2
    I try to buy my mini by cash and the dealer tries to charge me stick price plus tax and doc fee? is it common to pay doc fee if i pay by cash? thanks.
  • ucsb805ucsb805 Posts: 8
    Help!!! I'm very tempted to buy a Mini Cooper S within the next few days, and I can't decide whether or not I'd rather wait and test out the new 08' Nissan Altima Coupe that's debuting on 5/25. The MCS I want will be about $27,000 OTD, which is about what the Altima Coupe would cost in a few weeks, but I just can't decide between the two. I was wanting on Wednesday to drive to Universal City to test drive my Mini....my only concerns over the altima would be value, reliability..

any advice would be appreciated.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,317
    well, the altima will be much bigger and heavier, for one thing. 2 completely different cars, IMHO. I'd wait and test drive the altima. You don't want to always be wondering if you made a mistake.

Nissan reliability is typically good. Value? Well, it depends on what you want out of a vehicle. I think the Altima may seem like a better value because you are getting "more" car (literally). BUT, the Mini blows it away in the resale department.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• cct1cct1 Posts: 221
    Although these are both great cars, they are completely different--I'm not sure why you'd be cross shopping an Altima with a Mini. You're going to have to sit down and make a list of what your priorities for you next car are--heck, share it with us here, and we can help you--but an Altima coupe is an altogether different beast than a Mini S.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    Altima will probably be more reliable and if you wait a few months you'll get one for near sticker. Drive will be fun probably but not amazing.

Cooper will hold its value, has some free service and it's a blast to drive.

For me it's an easy choice - fun.
  • ucsb805ucsb805 Posts: 8
    That's a great point! I'm graduating soon and starting a fulltime job, so I'm in the market for pretty much a fun commuter that gets good MPG and has great reliability. I'm single, and won't be having kids anytime soon. The Mini appealed for all the obvious reasons, and my friend's parents have one and love it to death. I also like that the price is pretty much fixed at MSRP right now, because I really fear haggling with car salespeople. The Altima Coupe also caught my eye since it's a new model, (presumably) a sporty drive, good looking, around the same price range for the model I'd want, with Nissan reliability. I guess the Alt Coupe and the MCS don't have too much in common, but they're pretty much what I've narrowed my search down to...and I've been looking for awhile now. I realllly want to just pull the trigger on something within the next few days.

Did I just answer my own question, or should I wait it out and test drive the coupe? Thanks for all the help.
  • cct1cct1 Posts: 221
    You answered your own question.

Get the Mini S. :shades:

It's going to be economical, more fun, and you're single--can't think of a much better car for someone young and single--whoever you date will love the Mini too. In fact you might end up meeting people because of the Mini; probably not going to happen with the Altima.

The Altima will have a leg up on reliability, but otherwise for what you're describing, I'd get the Mini without a second thought.

But if you get the Altima, I suspect you're going to have a bit of a twinge everytime you see a Mini driving down the road. If you buy the Mini, and you see an Altima, I doubt you're going to have any second thoughts...
  • ticatica Posts: 64
    I've had my Mini for 3 weeks almost and this light came on first on day 5 right after I'd put in about a half tank of premium gas. It was then on for a couple of days then went off for a couple of days and has been back on 3 more times, so a totally of 4 times in first 3 weeks of ownership. I called the Manhattan Mini service and they said this is soemthing they are getting reports of. On the North American Motoring forum there is a lot of discussion on this and lots of people with 2007s seem to be getting it and dealers are saying it's a software issue with a fix expected in June.

So annoying. I'm about to do a lot of driving over Mem Day Weekend. The car runs fine, but it doesn't make you feel too comfortable with that dang light on.

At least I'm only leasing the car for one year so if it really is a bigtime fault and gets worse, I can give it back!

I have gotten into some really tight parking spaces that otherwise I wouldn't have been able to which is really nice.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Posts: 8,476
    Make sure you tighten the gas cap down all the way. That can sometimes cause a CEL to kick on. Well over hundred things can throw a CEL and many of them are minor emission related things. As long as it is driving ok don't worry about it and just set up an appointment to have it looked at later.
  • pharmd718pharmd718 Posts: 78
    First I went to hassal mini in long island and was given a price of $400 bellow MSRP. I told them that I wanted to get other prices and stoped at mini of the hamptons. They offered me the car at $1200 below MSRP and I made them a check for the full amount on the spot. I am currently waiting delivery of the car (about 4 weeks from now).

2007 Pepper white mini cooper S
    6 speed manual
    black checkered cloth seats
    cream white color line
    chrome line interior
    DSC
    LSD
    multi function steering wheel
    16 inch run flats
    front and rear floor mats

MSRP = $23,700 PAID $22,500
    Wow. Makes me feel like a goob for paying MSRP.
  • mtl718mtl718 Posts: 1
    Hi, this is my first post.

I'm considering buying a new 2006 Mini (standard). I've seen such mixed reviews on the 06 (especially clutch problems), but the 06 is rated better than earlier models (and better than the 07 because of the new engine). What's the consensus on the 06, and on buying a new car from the last model year?

thanks
    Right on the money! I did exactly as you stated. I live in Brooklyn and got the 6 speed manual S with the cloth seats.
    The dealer tried to sell me a car from the lot. they all had pleather and told him that its hot in the summer and cold in the winter. he stated that the "new" pleather is breathable. I couldnt help but laugh...then told him to order a new car with cloth!
    I got my 2007 cooper S for $1200 below MSRP....got the sales receipt to prove it if youd like to see it!
  • m3lsm3ls Posts: 7
    Are you serious? Today I went to the dealership to get a test drive. And I confirmed that there is no discount on the price no matter whatever. But your post seems it possible. I am living in NY too. Could you let me have the dealership you made a deal?
    Hi m3ls:

I tried to post an earlier post with the dealers phone number and my post was deleted because they don't allow phone numbers at this forum. The dealership is called "Mini of the Hamptons". im not allowed to mention the dealers name as well but look for a guy who is 6'6" who's wife is expecting any day now.
    The msrp for my car is 23,685. he sold me the car for 22,500. I made out a check for the full amount.
    Best of luck....and let me know what happens.
    p.s. it will help a great deal if he thinks that you plan on making the purchase right now.
    Thanks, the service guy at Manhattan Mini confirmed there there is going to be a software update in June or July and that he has been getting tons of calls that this is happening. Well my light just turned off again. He said it shouldn't be a problem driving it.

also, my steering power went out trying to squeeze into a really tight spot parallel parking (lots of repetitive turning of the streering wheel). This happened to me big time on a test drive of a car on the lot when I parked 3 times in a row. Now it's happened on my onw new Mini. It's not a HUGE deal, but it does sort of suck.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,834
    Anyone who bought a 2007 have any gas mileage to report?

I'm thinkin' of getting a 2007 base model, stickshift with premium package and a few more extras.

No wiggle room at the dealer so far but I'm still hammerin'.

Looked also at the EVO, but gas mileage isn't good at all. (as one might expect for a hi-po car).

Mrshiftright
    Visiting Host

Getting ~30 mpgs from my 07 Cooper S. Dipped down to 29 mpg on one tank. The rest are at 30-30.4 mpg.
  • 1825vine1825vine Posts: 1
    Is your mini a stick or auto? How do you rate your driving style?
    Stick. Do they make an auto in a Mini?!

Driving style = aggressive, many WOT throttle runs per drive, shift over 4k rpm often, always turn on the sport button.
    Stick. Do they make an auto in a Mini?!

They do now... :( BMW finally bowed down to popular pressure and made an auto MINI Cooper S. The first three or four years of production did not have a Automatic option
    I ordered my 2007 cooper S on May 15th. The dealer said it will take 4 to 6 weeks. Can anyone tell me how long they had to wait till their 07 cooper reached the dealership?
    I was kidding. They sold the old model with the CVT which is just a cruddy automatic.
    Yeah I know but the Cooper S was always THE performance model MINI and it was not avaliable with an auto for a long time.
    I just got my 2007 automatic basic Mini on May 1 and I've driven 500 miles and I've been getting 21mpg in NewYork City. I don't feel like I drive erratically but I guess you do use the brakes a lot.