Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MINI Cooper Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• I have the opportunity to purchase a 2005 Mini-Cooper with clean car fax and in perfect condition. Drives like a dream. Has leather seats, panoramic sunroofs and a number of other upgrades. From what I can tell the orginal price was around $28,000. I am able to purchase it for $18,700. Is this a good deal? I understand these cars tend to hold their value. Also, how does it handle in the snow? It seems like it would be better being closer to the ground, but then of course not if you get stuck in unplowed snow. Would appreciate any feedback. After spending two full days driving this litte cutie, I am in love with it!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,671
    Is that a MINI Cooper S model? If not, then $28K seems awfully high for an original price..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• ticatica Posts: 64
    What is a 'stick' and what does 'invoice' price mean exactly?
  • cct1cct1 Posts: 221
    Invoice is what the dealer actually payed for the car.

Sticker price is the MSRP--the sticker you see on the car itself, or what the dealer is selling the car for. Its substantially marked up over the invoice.

For a car less in demand, the way to go is to find the invoice price, and negotiate off of it rather than the sticker price. For years, the Mini sold at MSRP--no discounts, or rare discounts. It was more common to pay sticker and have a few freebies thrown in (mats, etc). This isn't necessarily a bad thing to the owner--it helps maintain the value of the car--ie less depreciation.

However, with the 2007s officially released this weekend, dealers will be more inclined to deal on the 2006s.
  • I may of course be way off, I was looking at the base price and adding in the amounts for the options.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,150
    "stick" is as in "stick-shift" or manual transmission.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• Probably too late, given when you posted, but I rejected a Mercedes SLK in '05 because it had been banged up during transport and the front bumper partially (and badly) resprayed while the car was in port.

There's no reason for a car with 12 miles on the odometer to be less than perfect.

It's resale is already less than that of car with a full original factory paint job.
  • i received a call at 11am today. my S arrived an hour before. i went straight after work and picked up my pepper white cooper s. there is a difference in how it drives compared to the previous s (and i haven't even put the sport mode on). i can't wait until the break in period is over...i paid 27k (and change) out the door. all i got was the sport package, lsd, stereo upgrade, extended warranty and lo jack.
  • minime7minime7 Posts: 8
    Just purchased a 2007 Mini S. Mellow Yellow/checkered carbon black cloth. Base MSRP was 21,200 and options included Sport package (1,400), leather steering wheel ($300), and mats, detail/full tank of gas (175.00). The dealership had installed sportier wheels on it to the tune of $3500 and agreed to pull them off. They had also installed "driver lights" ($900) which we didn't care about, but they couldn't remove them without damage to the grill, so we split the cost and kept them. With license, destination and title, out the door for $24,500. So, basically paid MSRP. After calling several dealerships, it's apparent they're loading the cars up with options and most Mini S's seem to run $26,000 to 30,000. Would like to know what forum members think of the run-flat tires? Have heard some negatives.....
    The second generation runflats on the 2007 Mini are substantially better than the runflats on previous generation--especially if you have the goodyears.

Which tires did you get, all-seasons or performance? If you went the all season route, you're fine--that means your using it mainly for everday driving. If you got the performance tires, you're still probably fine (especially if you got the Goodyear Excellence runonflats; these have gotten rave reviews overseas, but aren't available from dealers yet. Should be soon though now that the Mini's are hopefully shipping with them). The Dunlops are good too, but the Goodyears are supposedly the best.

If, however, you're doing anything on the track, you'll probably want a different nonrunflat tire. These are lighter, with a softer sidewall, and stickier--they perform better at the track. If, however, you're just into occasional spirited driving, I'd stick with the runflats, especially since the ride comfort problems with the previous generation runflats have been addressed with the new generation of runflats.
  • Hi. I'm considering a similar purchase. Would you please tell me which dealer in SoCal offered you the $24.5 deal? Thanks.
    Thanks for the information on the run-flats. I don't know what the car will have on it. The tires that came on it were removed and sold, so they're waiting for some more Mini's to come in so they can change out the expensive tires for standard ones. The dealership told me it's not easy to order 17" tires and rims and that it would take a long time to get them in. I know it sounds weird, but they indicated this would take about two or three weeks for them to get the tires they need, so my car is sitting in the showroom for the next couple of weeks. Sounds like if you're not going to do any track work that you can't go wrong with anything they put on them. That's a relief.
    You should be fine with runflats--just make sure its the new generation of runflats--Goodyear Excellence Runonflats if you can get them, although the Dunlops should be fine too.

Just make sure its the NEW runflats/rims--the 2006 and earlier rims/tires should fit the 2007--you don't want to get stuck with these; I believe the offsets are the same, but I'm not 100% on this as there has been some conflictin information with regard to this. You don't want to get stuck with previous generation runflats on a new 2007--the quality of ride will suffer significantly (If its goodyear excellence, you'll be fine--the previous goodyears had a different name. If its the Dunlop's, be careful, because the previous generation Dunlop's had a similar name to the newer Dunlop runflats).

Out of curiosity,what is on the car now if the dealer took the rims off and sold them? Did they put 16's on there because someone wanted 17's? I'm surprised they did this on a 2007 this early in the production run.
  • plektoplekto Posts: 3,733
    Runflats are always a poorer tire than the normal ones - and more money. If you get a flat, the tire's toast anyways, so the only reason you'd have runflats would be to get to the local garage, right? Well, a can of "slime" or simmilar will do the same job.

For a car this light, 16s are quite overkill as it is. 17s just add more cost anyways.(and low profile tires are much harder on you - it feels "sporty" because you got rid of 15-20% of your cushoning. (ie - don't confuse "sporty" with rattling your teeth out)

All-season tires stink as well. They are worse than performance tires on dry and in rain. The only reason they exist at all is in case you run into mud or snow, and for someone in Southern California... yeah... not taking the Mini to the snow. The old 4-Runner "beater" is what that's for.
  • daquickdaquick Posts: 1
    Hi there, I purchased a 2006 in September (and love it).

1. If you are purchasing a brand new one, expect to pay sticker. If looking used, you can negotiate.
    2. My dealer does it at 9,000 miles. Even I think that is a bit iffy... however, it is a long drive to the dealership, so maybe it is worth it. Just check the oil level periodically and add if you need to.
    3. If you put the back seats down, you'll have no problems getting a large dog in. I can fit both my 50 lb dogs. One is a chow mix and the other is a greyhound/terrior mix.
    The second generation runflats supposedly approach nonrunflats in stickiness, comfort, and noise--there apparently isn't nearly as much difference as they used to be, and for everyday driving, runflats are probably better. There are advantages to the stiffer sidewalls--turn in is better. Uf I wasn't going to the track, I'd go with 2nd generation runflats. If you need road service, it'll be covered by Mini as long as you have runflats; if you have nonrunflats, it won't. Also, the suspension on the 2007 has been optimized for runflats, and the ride with the current setup is very, very good--much better than the previous generation Mini (I have a 2006, and I prefer it to the 2007, but for reasons other than ride comfort, which definitely is better on the 2007). The problem with the 2006 was that runflats were a last minute addition--the suspension had been set up to run nonrunflats, and the last minute switch resulted in the suspension being relatively too stiff for runflats. Not the case with the 2007 Mini, the second generation runflats are very good and the car was designed specifically with these in mind. I almost wonder if nonrunflats would be too soft for the new Mini, but time will tell (I'd still go nonrunflats for track/autocross).

Slime btw does terrible damage to rims--you're better off with a plug, which you can also buy and store in your car if you want to go with nonrunflats.

There is a difference with ride on 16 and 17 inch wheels, but it also depends on the width of the tire as well, but it won't be as noticeable on the 2007 as it was with the 2006. The new 2007 rides just fine on 17's with the new suspension, and because of the bigger wheel arches, anything less than 17 inches looks too small in the wheel well. Alot of people run 18 or even greater on their Mini; I think 17 is the perfect choice for size/comfort (Eighteen or higher is pushing it).

I use the all seasons runflats in winter, performance nonrunflats in the summer and for the track(Goodyear F1's), although I need lighter rims--next on my agenda for this summer.
    Thanks for all the information on the runflats. Very good to know. Another question I have is regarding the stereo. The 2007 Mini S I just purchased has the standard stereo in it. I SO wish it had the Harmon Karden upgrade, but it is what it is. My salesman said he thought the standard unit is an Alpine unit. My understanding is that the stereo is integrated into the car in such a way that it is extremely difficult to replace. That being the case, I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck with putting in some really cool speakers and did it really boost the sound system? Any ideas?
    We don't know what's on the car now. Just know that they were valued at $3500 (some high-performance tire) and we didn't want them. Salesman said they usually stack the original tires somewhere so if the customer doesn't want the custom wheels, they could put the original ones back on. However, somehow the original ones got sold. They're going to put the 17's back on once the get them in.
    As for the stereo, your dealer is right--you can't place an aftermarket headunit. The problem with simply adding speakers is that it might not work out so well without an amp--and its going to be hard, if not impossible, to get an amp inline with the headunit. I would definitely wait on this until someone comes up with an aftermarket solution--there are other websites more Mini specific that would be worth looking at for something like this.

As for the tires currently on your car, high performance tires should run no more than about 250 bucks a piece--meaning that the bulk of the cost for those wheels is in the rims. I wonder what the heck they put on there, because thats some serious money for rims/tires, unless the dealer is marking them way up, which is what I suspect, especially given the fact that the dealer should have deducted the price of the previous tires and rims. Unless you need lightweight rims or are going for a specific look, you're better off with the standard rims--they're much cheaper, so if they ever need to be replaced, it can be done at a reasonable price. I actually have MINI OEM R90 rims on mine with a performance tire for the summer, and they were significantly cheaper than 3500 with high performance tires, and the R90's aren fairly expensive.
  • kwma3kwma3 Posts: 11
    I am in the market for a 2007 Mini Cooper S and would like to know what other people are paying so I know how much to offer. Any suggestions (price, dealership, etc..) are welcome. Thanks.