Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MINI Cooper Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Enjoy your Civic then.

Me, I'm loving my 2009 Mini Cooper S.

First, I think you had a terrible sales person. Not knowing how to use the radio is very bad. The controls are actually not difficult at all. I don't know how window switches can be distracting to a driving experience, but to each their own.

The turn signals work a little differently, but they are the same logic used by BMW, and take a day at most to master.

I've had my car for almost two years, and it still puts a smile on my face every time I get in.

Charlie
  • jcihakjcihak Posts: 60
    You're right. The salesperson was incompetent. The entire sales experience was a bad experience. After promising a great price, they offered me MSRP + a processing fee + $200 for nitrogen in the tires which they said they could not take out!

For those still willing to buy a Mini, they are dealing because they are stuck with too many 2009s. But, be careful and negotiate (unless you have nothing better to do with your money).

My experience is to expect $2000 - $2500 off MSRP (they still make a big profit) if you are willing to shop around
  • I bought a 2010 Mini Convertible from Global Mini in the Atlanta area and couldnt have had a better experience. I received $3000 off of retail and my salesperson was wonderful. Have 1500 miles and love this car. First car I have loved in a long time. Great fun to drive.
  • jcihakjcihak Posts: 60
    This is a great time to buy a convertible! Mini of Alexandria in VA had 47 in stock last I checked.
  • merckxmerckx Posts: 565
    Indeed! We have 40 here in Virginia Beach.
  • scott31scott31 Posts: 280
    If anyone is still looking for a 2010 Mini Cooper Convertible, you should be able to get $6300 off retail. I was quoted this from 2 different dealers in the area.

Best of luck!
  • Scott, yes we are, where were you seeing the 6300? We are only at about 4800 here in Washington state for a 2010 Cooper S convertible. Out the door at 29000.
  • My wife just got a 2011 S Convertible from East Bay Mini in Pleasanton, CA at the end of October. We were initially looking for a 2010 model but it was impossible to find the color/options combo that she wanted.

East Bay had exactly what we were looking for: Eclipse Gray, Auto, Heated Seats and Bluetooth for an MSRP of $31,300. We made an offer of 29k and after one counter by the dealer, we stood firm and they accepted. Paid about $700 over invoice, and I felt that we probably could have gotten a little more off, but the whole process was so pressure and hassle free that it wasn't worth it to us to grind it out for a few hundred dollars more. All in all, it was the most, if not only, enjoyable car buying experience we've ever had.

On the few 2010's they had left they were discounting around $4,500 right off the bat.
  • scott31scott31 Posts: 280
    Several dealers here in the Washington DC metro area
  • We're buying a 2011 Cooper Hardtop. I see the extended warranty online at MiniUSA for $1375 and the dealer is telling me it's ~$1600, that the $1375 is only available if you order it with the car. That doesn't make sense. Anyone have similar experience? Thanks
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,476
    On the web site - I see an extended maintenance program \ upgrade - for $1,395.
    Just to be clear:
    A MINI extended warranty starts at over $2,000...
  • cj425cj425 Posts: 5
    hello.

I am in northern NJ and recently got a quote for both the Cooper base and the Cooper S models from a dealer who's a "friend" of my father. Although I try not to be overly pessimistic, I am also not dumb and didn't assume that this person would just give me a good deal. I figured out how much the lease should cost for both options and it looks like both lease quotes are over by $35-38/month. Unless I've done the calculations wrong that is. I'm not a math wizard but perhaps there are costs that I didn't include? other than dealer profit ;) I wanted no money down other than first months payment & fees.

Here's the details:
    Lease term is 36 months. Cars are automatic, have the premium package, bluetooth/ipod usb add on, and the cooper base was estimated with the spice orange color that adds $500

Cooper S
    MSRP: 27450
    Residual: .64
    Invoice: 26500
    Money factor: .00185
    NJ Tax: 7%

My estimated monthly payment= $352.71 Dealer offer= $389.44

Cooper
    MSRP: 23600
    Residual: .67
    Invoice: 22900
    Money factor: .00185
    NJ Tax: 7%

My estimated monthly payment= $287.31 Dealer offer= $321.55

Am i doing the calculations wrong or do i need to do some more negotiating?
    Are these pretty much the standard rates for a lease on a mini these days? For some reason I thought they would be lower.

thanks so much for any feedback!!!!!
    ~cj
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,894
    edited November 2010
    We need to know what your price is for each car.
    Also, if doing $0 down, what about DMV and dealer fees?

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

if by price you mean what they offered off the MSRP, then it is the invoice that I listed. He said it was only $500 above invoice...so maybe I mislabeled "invoice" and that is the price the dealer offered for each car. With regard to the DMV & dealer fees, I said I was able to put $1000 towards the first months payment & fees. Since the $1000 didn't change the price of the car, I figured that it just covered the first payment (~$350 ish) and the other $650 covered the fees for DMV & dealer. The doc fees are listed at $389. Should i have been told exactly how much the fees and DMV costs will be?
    Yes. If you want to calculate your own payment, you need to know ALL the details. That is a very high doc fee, by the way. And I don't know if the remaining $611 would cover everything. Could be an acquisition fee, cleanup fee, bank fee, lunar eclipse fee, etc.

haha ok. i will look out for the lunar eclipse fee. that's pretty funny. I'm going to call & will update with the details.

and thanks so much for helping me out with this!
    ok. so the up front fees are as follows:

bank acquisition: $925
    Registration & Title: $227
    Tire Tax (thanks gov. mcgreevy): $7.50
    Electronic Filing charge: $6
    First Months pymt: $322
    Doc fees: $389

Totaling: $1876

With the $1000 i wanted to put up front that left about $900 ($25/month) in fees that were worked into my monthly payment. So, on my end, the payment i came up with ($287) plus the extra $25/month for the rest of the fees would bring the monthly payment to $312. which is still about $10 less a month than the dealer quote.

and when i just spoke with them it turns out that the quote was mistakenly for a car that was manual, not automatic. manual transmission would add $1250 to the price of the car. Am i unrealistic to think that I can get a lease price around $300? You had said the doc fee was high, are all of these fees & the rates I've been given inflated as well?
    Well, I can say that I've never seen a bank fee that high, either. About double what it normally is. Although I can't say I've ever shopped MINI bank fees, so I don't know if this is normal. Would be nice if someone else chimed in on it.

edited November 2010
    I was trying to check your selling price... but I can't get the numbers to work for me. Is this an '11 or '10 model? I tried '11, but with Premium, Bluetooth/USB/ipod, and metallic paint, I get $22,850 manual trans or $24,100 auto trans. So I don't know where the $23,600 comes from.

On the $24,100 car, the invoice is $21,760. That's about a $2500 spread. The selling price you listed under "invoice" is only $700 off MSRP. Certainly WAY more than the "$500 over invoice" deal he was supposedly giving you.

So much of this is fishy. I would try another dealer if I were you.

when i spoke with the dealer again he said if I wanted automatic (which I thought was clear when i was at the dealership & we initially priced the cars) that it would bring it to $24,100.

you are right though, that there are quite a few things here that are not adding up properly. I am going to call a different dealer to get another quote.

thanks again for your help :)