Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo XC90 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• cv2006cv2006 Posts: 23
    Yes, the problem was in their approach and delivery.
  • I want to buy a new 2009 XC90 with 6 cylinder, Versatility Package (3rd row), Rear Entertainment Package, Premium Package, and BLIS. Don't want to pay for any other options. Invoice is $41,000 and MSRP is $43,565 as I calculate it with delivery. I don't want a 2010 model.

I am going to send offers by fax to many dealerships offering them a one-time take-it-or-leave-it price. No trade-in. Will pay cash. I am willing to buy anywhere within about 500 miles of Dallas. I'll drive it home. I am not a current Volvo owner. I am not in any rush to buy the car.

What price should I offer the dealers, excluding tax, title, license, misc. fees? I want to offer a price that is high enough to be able to buy a car from someone, but I don't want to leave too much money on the table. I'll be doing this in August/September 2009.

Thanks in advance for any info about current pricing on this type of car.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    Finding a car with that EXACT equipment is going to be virtually impossible at this point in the model year. Fortunately, the rear ent system has a dealer installed option. Cost is pretty similar to the factory unit. the hangup is probably going to be BLIs. Not too many cars came with BLIS, and if they did chances are they came with other options. so, I'd be as flexible as you can.
    As for pricing, there is a $500 incentive and thats it. So invoice minus $500 is a good price. Plus the local fees.
  • bca88bca88 Posts: 4
    5000 miles. Demo. Loaded, Rear Entertainment, Blis.

Dealers offering approx 45,000. What is a reasonable price to start negotiations?
  • tonyg9tonyg9 Posts: 9
    bca88, I would say to go for invoice minus incentives and about $500 in discount for mileage.

Does anyone know the current residuals for the 09 V8 R design?
  • I got a quote from a local dealer about a 2010 XC90 based model, ~$100 less than the invoice price? Is this a good deal? Any one has experience in buying a 2010 model? I am In central FL. Thanks
  • bruce888,

I know Volvo has a few M2D incentives, so I would definitley ask to get those along with the loyalty cash if you currently own a Volvo. I would try invoice minus the incentives and use the loyalty cash as a down.

Good Luck
  • I'm going tomorrow looking at both the XC60 & the XC90 in South FLA. I get diplomatic pricing on the Volvo's, and from what I understand it's a fixed price and non-negotiable.

The diplomatic pricing for the XC90 base is $32,985, the XC60 is $28,630...don't have definite figures down on my own negotiating but should have something this weekend.

I qualify for the $1500 loyalty rebate, and they are offering $500 rebate over the phone, so I need to find out which pricing scheme is best for me.
  • TonyQ9 and Outcast, thanks for the information.

Outcast, what's the diplomic pricing mean? If I can get that price for a base XC90, I should have already jumped on.

Please update us after your visit.

BTW, I tested drive a XC90, the 3rd row seat seems useless. Now I am also looking at Acura MDX and Cady SRX 09 with a 3rd row. And Volve the worst internal quality among the three.
  • So we made our way into the dealership today. I blame it on the cold I've got, but after I got home I don't think I have the complete story on my final price. Basically they took close to invoice and subtracted the $1500 loyalty(since I owned a Volvo up until last month) and the $500 M2D rebate and came back with $1750 below the invoice price; came out to just over $35k. It included the delivery but I neglected to find out about the OTD cost including any dealer fees if necessary. I was sidetracked anyways since I have some issues qualifying for the diplomatic price that won't be clarified until Monday.

The diplomatic pricing is only available to the diplomatic/military community stationed abroad and not for US delivery. I misunderstood the requirements initially, and it doesn't look like I qualify since I'm assigned domestically and have not received travel orders for my next assignment as of yet.

Does anyone else find the rear seat fold down somewhat cumbersome? Seen the Toyota's have a lever in the trunk you pull and they fold down, it's a 3 step process with the XC90 and in 2 different areas.

I was also supposed to see the MDX today(the cold excuse again)...sometime Sunday I hope to get over there.
  • For what it is worth, I tried to buy a 2009 XC90 for about a month during August/September. The dealers have very few XC90's for sale and were refusing to go much below LIST price. I contacted ALL Volvo dealers in a 15 state area and most have no XC90 to sell. Those that do have an XC90 to sell are looking for list price and not negotiating at all. I've decided to wait and either buy a 2010 (if they go back to substantial discounts from List price) or go to another brand where pricing is more competitive. Volvo dealers are apparently not hurting in the least.

Also, based on my questions to dealer sales reps, a lot of Volvo sales reps seem grossly misinformed about the features of their cars. One sales rep in Dallas actually told me that the BLIS is an after-market device that is bolted on by the dealer. Seriously. I would recommend that you check and double-check ANYTHING that they tell you because there's a good chance they are wrong. Very unprofessional and undertrained sales reps. I'm quite put off of Volvo - the poor mechanical quality, lack of knowledgeable people, and uncompetitive pricing. My major problem is that I have to have a third row and Volvo is one of only two cars that are not overly large and has a third row that a person can actually get into. If my wife was more flexible, I'd forget Volvo completely.
  • emmabemmab Posts: 43
    Wow, maybe it depends where you live?
    Our dealer is very very good, very much in the know and paying $27k for a 2008 with 5000 demo miles, plus paying off our other vehicle--well,it doesnt get any better than that!
  • 2008 XC90 3.2 Titanium Gray, with Off Black Leather -- 16 miles, but come with the 6 yr, 100k warranty that started in March

Climate Package, with active Bi - Xenon Headlamps.
    Convenience Package.
    Premium Package.
    Versatility Package.
    17" Neptune Wheels.

Original list price = $ 47,032

Dealer wants $ 38,400
  • tonyg9tonyg9 Posts: 9
    With the current incentives available, you should be able to get a great deal on an equally equipped left over 2009 or perhaps even a 2010. I paid $36,500 + TTL for a 2009 V8 R-Design with an MSRP of $55,656 this past August. So I am sure you can get a better deal on what you are looking for. If you are near Los Angeles, I will be more than happy to help you find a great deal. :D
  • zamozamo Posts: 120
    That is a heck of a deal ! I should start shopping around now that my lease is up.

What were the options on that R-Design?
  • cxsfcxsf Posts: 1
    I'll take you up on your offer to help -- dealership? strategy?
  • Zamo,
    The options on the R-Design are Blis, Climate and Tech.

Cxsf,
    I shopped several dealerships here in the L.A. & Orange County area. This deal was offered from Culver City Volvo. Although, Southbay Volvo is and was my dealer of choice, but they did not have a V8 R-Design in stock and Culver City was unwilling to trade.
  • This morning I got an email from Costco offering:

Purchase a new Volvo XC60, XC70 or XC90 between November 3, 2009, and
    January 4, 2010, to receive:

* Volvo employee pricing for the XC60
    * $500 off Volvo employee pricing for the XC70 and XC90
    * PLUS all available rebates and incentives
    * PLUS a $500 Costco Cash Card

How do I figure out what "employee pricing" is for the XC90?

Thanks!
  • kokos7kokos7 Posts: 22
    Apparently employee pricing is dealer invoice.
  • Thanks. That being the case, I've already seen a price below invoice on Overstock, so I'm wondering if I should try for the Overstock price plus the Costco incentives.