Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Sorento Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Buy the car! Got mine in August and I love it. Seats are fine for long drives. I saw the 2014 model at the LA Auto Show, and I think the 2013 is better.
  • Wow! I am luvin' our new Sorento! (Recall that I've been a Nissan "bigot" for decades.)

We picked up our 2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD (no packages) at the dealer in Ogden, UT. Dealer filled it with "Regular" (85 Octane).

Day 1: Drove 300 miles on Interstate to Boise, ID. For most of the trip the speed was 75-80 mph with one stop for coffee. The last 45 minutes or so was 65-70 mph as snow flurries began.

Day 2: Filled up with Super Premium. Drove 540 miles on Interstate to Eugene, OR. First half of trip was 60-80 mph (depending on road conditions) with one stop for breakfast. We also spent an hour, with engine idling, while we waited to detour around an awful bus wreck on I-84 at "Deadman Pass." (More on that later.) The second half of the trip was on 65-70 mph on dry pavement with one stop for gas (Shell V-Power).

Based on the full-tank-to-full-tank gas consumption and odometer mileage, we got 21.66 mpg. The average cost for gas was 16.5 cents per mile.

Driving report:

This car handles great!

Tons of power, with great torque for quick acceleration from standing stop or from any speed.

We had to deal with a lot of thin accumulation of snow and ice, mostly with some sand, but some very slick spots. Sorento tracked and held excellently.

The steering is very tight and quick. It's easy to oversteer, but once you adjust to how quick the response is, it's really nice. Very good road feedback, as well, providing a good sense of how you're holding to the road.

The ride is stiff, as others have noted. To me, this is a plus because you have great control and road feedback. I don't find the ride "harsh," but this is not your Daddy's Lexus. Stability is great, no sway or bounce off the road surface.

Visibility is great. Much better than the over-styled designs with constrained view to the rear.

The automatic is so smooth you can hardly detect gear changes. Automatic downshifting on uphill was early and very smooth.

Cruise control worked perfectly. Very smooth.

I used the "Sportmatic" on a few occasions to manually downshift to 4th and 5th. Worked smoothly and provide the downhill resistance as desired.

I used the "Center Differential Lock" on two occasions. Once on flat, packed snow and ice in town (Boise) and on an up-and-downhill, snow-packed road as we took the detour around the bus wreck. Traction was great in both case, although I plan to get snow & ice tires for winter driving in the Cascade Mountains.

There is no engine noise except a satisfying sound when you accelerate fast.

Tire noise is loud on rough pavements.

Wind noise was low except for a period when a low whistle was noticeable. I think it may have been from ice accumulation on a roof rail and/or crossbar.

There was a constant, annoying rattle from (I think) the right front wheel well. I haven't isolated it yet, but I think it may be caused by wind shaking a flexible plate mounted under the wheel well. The dealer should have caught this, and I'm sure it can be corrected.

Windshield wipers are conventional, low-end type. They froze and were spotty. I've already replaced them with top-end Bosch wipers, which is what I put on our other cars.

Headlights seemed adequate.

Interior lighting and instrumentation was good, although I'm not a big fan of red. The "estimated range" was dead-on, which was nice.

Seats were very good. My wife found them near "perfect." I'm long-legged, so they were a little short (compared to my Nissan Frontier 4x4). However, I felt very comfortable and stable for the long segments of driving.

Wonderful leg room, head room and shoulder room for a fairly big guy (6'2" and 230 lbs). Note that our EX does not have a sunroof, which would reduce the headroom somewhat.

Sound system quality is good; but not outstanding.

Temperature control was good.

Let me know if there are any other items you're interested in.

We had been travelling north on I-84 right with the bus that crashed and killed 9 people, but stopped in Baker City for half an hour for breakfast. As a result, we came up to the stopped traffic about a half hour after the wreck. The interstate for a few miles climbing up to Deadman Pass was incredibly icy, and we were just lucky we didn't get involved in any accidents. There had been another fatal accident on I-84 a little further west earlier that morning, and we had seen two cars rolled on their roofs off the road, plus several other remains of accidents. That kept us in full mind of the fact that AWD is no "miracle" solution for icy conditions, especially without studded tires.

So, everybody ... enjoy your Sorentos, but BE SAFE!
  • AWD V6 LX model:

Only a few options were included:
    wheel locks, cargo net, iPod adapter, bumper cover

$23,000 before TTL (I got 2,750 in incentives)

Thanks for the advice on the forum and good luck to others!
  • Great to hear about your driving experience but so sorry for the families/victims of the bus crash.
    I have a question about the AWD, You talked about locking up the AWD, do you mean you have the option of running in FWD ONLY mode? Or is the AWD automatically engaged when necessary with the option to manually lock it up? The sales people I've talked to seem to say what you want to hear and not necessarily the facts.
    6 months ago I rented a new Jeep for 3 weeks and liked the option to release the 4x4 to exclusively 4x2 mode, we got great mpg in FWD. I doubt that my wife will let me buy a AWD after what I put her through with the Jeep, took it to the bottom of the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Death Valley and every patch of dirt in-between, if there was a rock in the road I'd run it over. If I can find a base model V6 ex AWD I’m buying it but I don’t think there’s any within 300 miles, so it’s probably the V6 ex fwd pac2. I had seconds thought about the Sorrento and test drove the Equinox and liked it but the $7k in price jump was too much, the Traverse was a better fit for me but @ $10k more not doable.
    If you’re a fairly large man @ 6’2- 230lbs that makes me a huge (fat) one @ 6’2 - 330lbs thus the reason I’m getting a new car. Last Jan 7th I bet my wife I could drop 150lbs in 1 year she responded “if you lose the weight you can buy the car of your choice, if not the choice is mine”. Thank god I won’t be driving around in a red Camaro. Next Monday it’s weigh in day and then off to the dealership. Maybe next week I’ll get her to bet on a boat or… a Harley? err…not, one horrific murdercycle accident a lifetime is enough for me.
  • Bus crash was horrible. Saw it on the news tonight; pictures were scary and one survivor apparently said driver was going too fast.

But reason for my post is to answer question on "locking" AWD. What that means is that you can lock the drives of all the wheels together so that even if one wheel (or two or three) are on loose or slick pavement, all wheels turn. This is very helpful on sand, mud, other slick surfaces.
  • picantepicante Posts: 27
    edited January 2013
    It's important to understand exactly what you get with the Sorento (or alternative) "AWD." From the "Owner's Manual" ...

"4WD Auto (4WD LOCK is deactivated) ... Vehicle operates similar to conventional 2WD under normal operating conditions. However, if the system determines that there is a need for 4WD mode, the engine's driving power is distributed to all four wheels automatically without driver intervention."

"4WD LOCK ... This mode automatically begins to deactivate at speeds above 19 mph and is shifted to 4WD AUTO mode at speed above 25 mph."

So ... "locking center differential" is a bit of a misnomer, since (according to this description) the center differential is fully "locked" only below 20 mph.

In any case, when the center differential is not locked, if any one wheel is slipping, all the power would normally be sent to the slipping wheel, and you would be stuck. However, according to Kia, "The advanced Traction Control System (TCS) can sense wheel spin during acceleration. When it does, it uses a combination of engine power and brake force to transfer power to the wheels that have the most traction, providing both increased control and enhanced responsiveness."

Now, when the center differential is actually locked, power is always sent to both front and rear axles. Thus, even without TCS, if either axle has both wheels getting traction, then those wheels can pull/push the vehicle even though the other axle has one or both wheels spinning (and therefore isn't providing any push or pull).

ennui101's comment wasn't quite accurate. Leaving TCS aside, with the center differential locked, if at least one wheel on each axle is slipping, you're still stuck. TCS attempts to mitigate this problem by applying braking force to each slipping wheel so some power still gets transferred to a wheel with traction.

How well the combination of "locking center differential" and TCS will all work in practice can only be determined by experience. However, the ability to lock the center differential when you're trying to get going on snow or ice (or mud) does provide an advantage over a center differential that can't be locked.

Here is a technical Comparsion of AWD and 4WD systems
  • Tic-Toc, Tic-Toc 4 more nights before I wake up to my new Sorento, I feel like a little kid waiting for Santa Clause & waiting is proving out to be very lucrative. It gets confusing when they offer so many styles and options.
    On the stiff seating issue I have, the limited Pac comes with different seats that are harder, wider & air cooled. I took a ride in the EX with option pack2 and the seats are comfortable enough. Also the UVO display was quite a bit smaller. But as long as it's Bluetooth capable I'm ok with it. I'll post the outcome Monday.
    Happy New Year!
  • n3tton3tto Posts: 13
    Carmax has 339 Kias for sale! They also have a ton of Kias with 7-9k miles!

Q) Why are so many people trading in low mileage Kias?
  • I think you mean Sorentos, not Kias. Today they had 288 Sorentos for sale from 2011-2013 across the country. Or maybe you are not setting the search parameters correctly. Of the 288 Sorentos for sale today, 217 were LX models, or the base model. If you look at the prior use most say rental, or fleet, so they are fleet turn ins. About 40 or so models were the EX model, the middle trim model, many also said fleet, or loaner. About 30 were top of the line SX model.

Very few 2013's, mostly 2011 & 2012. 2011 was the start of this restyled model. What impressed me was the great resale value that Carmax assigns to the cars, which is not negotiable. Most 2012 SX AWD's with 8-20K miles on them were priced only $3-4K less than what I paid new for my 2013.
  • n3tton3tto Posts: 13
    As of today Carmax had 202 2012-2013 Sorentos for sale!

As for price Carmax tends to be a bit higher than other dealers because they have a fixed price and stand behind their guarantee.

The comment posted by "Steve" makes sense. There's a new model about to hit the market and the dealers are selling off their inventory as possibly as "fleet".

I think I'll hold off until closer to April to see how they are pricing the Sorento with the new model about to be released. We should see Carmax drop their prices as well!
  • does Car max have any new KIA dealerships? Could that be factored into that number?

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• I did it! Purchased my new 2013 Sorento EX V6 with option pack 2. Was able to use Costco, rebates/incentives & auto show cash back of $3885 below invoice totaled $26,141 + tax & lic.. What a freaking hassle dealing with the dealership, 4 hrs to pay cash for a car. I took it on a 300 mile cruise last night, might not be the smartest idea I’ve had driving through Los Angles during rush hour. What a nice ride & very happy with all the options, glad I dropped the extra $$$ for option Pack 2. Crazy crazy power in the V6 & it looks like I’m getting well over 20mpg.
  • greforgrefor Posts: 32
    That's a great deal Flatontop. Did you get the AWD model? What is the breakdown of the rebates/incentives? I got a V6 AWD EX, no packages and was only able to get $2750 in rebates. Cerainly a lot of bang for the buck with all of the cool features.

BTW, I don't think 4 hours in the delaership is very long for the car buying process.
  • When I asked dealer about AWD the blood ran out of my wife's face, I thought she was going to pass out for fear of the future to come with me behind the wheel of an AWD vehicle. I settled with the FWD EX V6 option pac2.
    I received $605 discount off invoice through Costco +$1,500 Kia cash back + $1,250 competitive rebate and the Auto show was in town so they offered another $500 off, for a total of $3,855 under invoice.
    The sunroof is nice but the car is still a great setup without the option package. I'll never use the 3rd row seating and more than likely never even use the second row. It all came down to my wife wanted the sunroof so what ever she wants I suffer. I thought the heated seats were a usless feature but they sure feel nice on the lower back when set on low, now they need to put in a lumbar back massaging feature. i set up my phone with the Bluetooth... it's great. Now I'm all paranoid about the crazy drivers around me wrecking my new car.
  • tablefattablefat Posts: 7
    Anybody have any idea what to pay for a 2014 Sorrento that is listed at $37,775? They should be motivated as it is the end of the month. I'm trying to decide between 2013 Santa Fe Sport Turbo AWD that the dealer has for $32,445 ($3,715 off MSRP) and whatever I should pay for the Sorrento.

I want the Sorrento, but I also don't want to spend much more (if any) than the Santa Fe. Any advice?
  • trav06trav06 Posts: 14
    Can you provide more info on all of the options in the Sorento? And you're talking about the EX? Have you looked it up on TrueCar?
    It is the EX AWD V6 Sorento with the Touring Option package. I checked TruCar and even got a pricing report.

I guess I'm just looking for some "Real World" advice :) ">
  • stistiestistie Posts: 3
    Hi

I am looking at purchasing a 2012 sorrento sx awd with 13,000 miles on it. It is listed at 31,100. With incentives a new 2014 sorrento sx is $35000. Everything on it exactly the same. Looking at similar cars on craigslist and other website it looks like they are being listed at 28,900 - 31,000 with miles ranging from 13,000 to 29,000 for a 2012 sx awd. My question is, am I being unreasonable thinking I could get a 2012 for 26,000 or 27,000?

Thanks
    Kristie
  • trav06trav06 Posts: 14
    Based on the very brief research I did here on Edmunds, it looks like $26-27k is where you should be.

If I were you though, I'd probably see what I could get in a new 2014 Sorento at the $26-$28k price range. Based on TrueCar, it looks like you could get a 2014 Sorento EX V6 AWD for about $28k. But I'll admit, I'm biased against buying used, so obviously take that with a grain of salt.
    No, not unreasonable.

If they think you are, go somewhere else. Like trav06 said, check out the new ones. You should be able to get a brand new one for about what they are asking for the used.

Some dealers will laugh you off the lot (at least they did me). Others will take you seriously and work with you. If Kia gives you a hard time, check out Kias competitors. Somebody will give you what you want for your price.