Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and Earlier - Jeep Cherokee (All) Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• I bought a deal demo around 8 months ago. I purchased a 2008 Grand Cherokee Limited with 11,000 miles on it. Bought it for $21,000.00 puls tax and tags. I thought that was a good deal. Also I bought the extended 100,000 mile/ 5yr extended warranty warranty for$1000.00.

Does this seem like a good deal?????????????????????

Thanks

Al
  • I bought a loaded (rear DVD, chrome package) 2009 Overland in NJ in October for 35k - sticker was 48k. It was a demo with 5k miles. I think some of the incentives are no longer availabe for the 2009s. I was happy with the price and love the jeep so far!
  • Ok everyone, it's one thing for me to read this for entertainment -- it's another when I am actually ready to by one. So thanks in advance!

THE JEEP: I've found a USED 2008 GC Limited 2WD w/ 68 miles -- that is right, 68 total miles! It has HEMI/V8, leather, navigation with hard disk, rear-back up camera, remote start, and so on. It does not have the rear DVD or HID headlights.

THE STORY: Original dealership closed. Went to auction. Picked up by my local dealership, now shows that it has had 1 owner on carfax and sold as used. Factory warranty started when local place bought it at auction.

THE OFFER: Sticker says $32k. Advertised for $26,995. I offered $23K. Eventually they came down to "$25,400" and let me walk. My final offer was $24K + tax & title.

I get it... these guys are good. They are feeling the pinch but that doesn't mean they are going to let me rob them.

Two questions, if you please. (1) Is $24K a good deal? A steal? Should I keep trying? Any other tips with what you now know? (2) I don't understand why there is 1 owner (verified on Carfax) when it was never sold to a person. It even shows the vehicle has been serviced at the original dealership. Were they lying when they said they count as the first owner or did someone actually own this?
  • Perhaps the vehicle had some major issue which caused the owner to return the Jeep.

Are they offering the Jeep with the full factory warranty?

$32K could not have been the MSRP on the factory sticker, or is it the original factory sticker?

If you are buying "as is" or with a limited warranty, you might be buying someone else's problem. Also, a 2WD Jeep is something that might be hard to sell later on, even with all the other nice goodies.

Keep us posted on any additional you learn about the vehicle.
  • Thanks for the response, I'm eager to get this figured out.

The warranty started in September of this year, when they bought it at auction when the other dealership closed. This concurs with the carfax report and I also know the other dealership did indeed close. It is NOT being sold as is.

Also -- you are right about the sticker. The original was way, way more than $32K. I was glancing at the "used" sticker... I think the original MSRP was 40-41?

Again, thanks for your time. Any opinion on the deal would be great.
  • verdugoverdugo Posts: 1,995
    I'm with bytehoven on the 4x2. I'm not sure where you live, but it could become an issue. If you don't really need the 4x4, there might be better vehicles for you out there. However, none of them will be $24k. Have you tried pricing it in Edmunds or KBB?

Don't worry too much about the warranty. You have plenty of it left, and you could always buy a Jeep extended warranty later. You don't have to buy it when you buy the car.

The deal sounds good, but I'd still want another mechanic to take a look at it.
  • I don't live where it snows (central California). KBB says MSRP of $30,730 for this used GC in excellent condition. If I do go through with this deal, I bet they will try to slip in a destination charge (~$700). That won't fly with me. I'm starting to wonder if $24k is a killer deal at all now. They say they can't even do $24k, but I'm very, very close. That tells me they CAN do it, I just need to wait a few days.
  • paulepaule Posts: 382
    Carfax will show an auction vehicle as a previous owner.
    I think $24k is a very good deal on that vehicle even with it being a 2WD. I agree that it will be harder to sell later on (could be much harder) but that's a very good deal.
    I think $40k new is a little optimistic for what that vehicle would have sold new for but it was well into the 30's.
    I think $40k new is a little optimistic for what that vehicle would have sold new for but it was well into the 30's.

Good point. I bought an '08 GC in October of 207. Brand new, no trade in, in fact, it was a factory order. 4.7L V8, 4x4, HID, Navigation. MSFRP was in low 40's, I got it at invoice, $37 and change, - rebates, and minus free MyGig navigation. selling price was $34 and change (before Taxes).

I did a quick search in autotrader.com and your price looks good. Let's us know what happens.
  • Sharing my purchase price (Dec. 2009)

2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L Hemi 6cyl 5A)

Options:

25H Quick Order Package 25H
    WPP 18" x 7.5" Chrome Clad Aluminum Wheels
    AHX Trailer Tow Group IV info

MSRP $43,875 (including destination charge)
    INVOICE $41,194 (including destination charge)

REBATE $4,000
    OUT-OF-POCKET $36,000 + TTL

OIIIIIIIO
    INVOICE $41,194 (including destination charge)

REBATE $4,000
    OUT-OF-POCKET $36,000 + TTL

Hi, so assuming that there was no trade-in, you got the car for $36,000 (after rebates). Before rebates, it's $40,000, right?

That is $1,194 *below* invoice? :confuse: wow.

OIIIIIIIO <--- Nice! :shades:
  • jkingsjkings Posts: 2
    I'm car shopping this weekend and plan on looking at this vehicle. I've never owned a Jeep, and I didn't even consider purchasing one until I saw this vehicle on a local dealer's website. It's listed at $11,900. It has 40k miles and a clean car fax. What should I offer them (providing I do more homework and like it enough to get to the make-an-offer stage).
  • Currently looking to buy a new jeep gc limited with the hemi.Dealers msrp $43,875 Manufacturer Rebate of $6,000 and preferred customer rebate of $4,605. Which brings the selling price to $33,270. I offered my paid for 2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L with 46k miles in excellent condition for trade (mostly stored inside and never seen snow) they offered $11,000 I feel its a little low. I also was offering my wife's car which is a 2006 stratus sxt 2.4L with 47k miles also in excellent condition. They offered $5500.I was hoping for them to pay it off. Pay off for loan is $7,600.
    Net trade value $16,500
    Trade difference $16,770
    Lien Payoff $7600
    Sales tax $1,537
    Tags and fees $34
    Documentation Fee $75
    Total Purchase Price $26,016

I'm a little confused. Am I getting a good deal. Should I ask more for the jeep wrangler and privately sell the stratus. Is the msrp high on the Grand cherokee.
    Going to another dealer tomorrow to see if the give better trade value.Any advice would be great. Thanks
    Is the msrp high on the Grand cherokee.

Who cares? You're getting over $10k off MSRP. :P That's pretty good.

Jeep Wranglers hold their value really well. I'd suggest you sell the Wrangler privately and trade in the Stratus.

You said that you were hoping for a little more on trade in, but how realistic is that? Have you priced them on Edmunds/KBB? You should also post on Real World Trade In values forum on this site to get an actual trade in value from a salesperson.
  • Looking for any feedback on pricing and features:

'10 GC Laredo Base package

$33,685 MSRP
    -$3,142 Employee discount
    -$4,000 rebates
    -$500 customer Loyalty
    -$2,000 trade in (2002 stratus w/ 111,000 - also w/ employee discount)
    Plus another possbile $2,000 in rebates if I go with a local bank loan - I need to do the math on the finance side of things still.

Is this a good deal. Never owned a SUV. On the road a lot with work, but still want to do weekend warrior stuff with towing. Just not sure if I am buying a lot of car to do a few things a few times during the year. I am aware of how well they hold there value over the years as well.

Thanks in advance for any imput.
  • Stationed in the middle east and recieved this quote through ENCS (Military Sales):
    2010 Jeep GC Limitied 3.7L Blue Pearl Coat
    Class II Receiver Hitch
    Media Center 730N CD/HDD Radio w/Navigation
    UConnect Phone
    17" x 7.5" Aluminum Wheels
    Remote Start System
    Heated Front Seats
    Heated 2nd Row Seats
    ParkView (TM) Rear Back-Up Camera
    PLUS all the other limited stuff EXCEPT the sunroof
    MSRP 39320.00
    Quoted 33700.00 +TTL
    Good price or not? Thanks for any help. I have emailed dealers and most say "Call us when you get home" so looking for any input.
    Hi. You shouldn't be paying more than invoice - rebates. Not sure how rebates work if you're abroad. Just a few things to keep in mind:

* SUV's aren't selling as well as they used to
    * It's the second half of the model year
    * The economy is still not doing so well
    * The Grand Cherokee is going to be completely redisigned for the 2011 model year

I say you should pay less than invoice - rebates. Good luck and get back safely.
  • Thanks for the reply, They offered me 5,000.00 in instant rebates along with another 1000.00 for military/loyalty.It does seem to me that I could get a better deal back home plus I do like the 2011.They claim that they will beat any "Full Documented Quotation" from another dealer but getting a dealership to do that via the internet has proved impossible. Thanks again..
    I agree. You can do better when you get home. The 2011 looks pretty sweet. Just remember one thing, every manufacturer has gremlins the first model year. So if you decide to buy a 2011, be aware that you could be a bit of a guinea pig. Good luck.
  • Had to post this while I think of it. One of the Detroit area's dealers had a "special" in the paper--one day only--featuring four Jeep models for unbelieveably low prices. The G.C. was advertised at "11,890" so I called and the salesman informed me that it was basically a no-strings-attached deal (except for the $500 military rebate which I didn't get) and that the unit was an early 2008 model build that had sat on the lot for a year. Typical 30-something miles on it, brand new, etc. Sticker was $32,200. Vehicle included the Popular Equip. Group ($985) and floor mats. Out the door cash price: $15,000. Serious!

I checked the local Craigs List today and I could pretty much make $2000 on it reselling it, AFTER 18 MONTHS OF DRIVING!

I'll never see a deal like that again.
    So, did you get it?
  • Thanks for the help. I am going home on leave soon and will check with the dealers for 2011 ordering.
  • I bought a 2000 maroon Jeep Cherokee for 3,000 from a family member about a year ago,with high mileage, but I enjoy it its got everything I need in a vehicle... everything works and its in good condition. It has power windows and locks and a working cd and radio and luggage racks, and all else. It gets about 18 mpg which isnt awful but I had better. Anyway does this seem like a fair price? Like I said it is in good condition and has been taken care of. :)
  • paulepaule Posts: 382
    Yes. That looks like a fair price. It's somewhat hard to say not knowing exactly what the mileage is and what options it has.
    You should be able to find what it's worth on this site (look up to the top green bar) or over here as well: http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2000/Jeep
  • nh_1nh_1 Posts: 10
    Has anyone purchased a Jeep Grand Cherokee recently, as the last post was nearly 3 months ago? I'm curious what others have been paying or what they've gotten as quotes given there's a new model coming out.
  • photohphotoh Posts: 5
    After much thought, I just purchased a white 2011 Jeep Cherokee Laredo X V-6 4X4 package. It should be built and delivered by mid-September.
    I paid $34,790 (With Tow Package)+ TTL and will recieve any rebates that come out until delivery. I figured that this is close to invoice for the X-package and not such a bad deal.
  • Just bought a 2010 "X" with nav. 3.7 liter. Stickered @ 38,795. Financed through dealer @ 3.99% with $4792 off and $6,000 in rebates. Paid $28,003.00. I know its not the 2011 but thought I did well.
  • guugosguugos Posts: 10
    I am ready to buy my wife a new SUV and Jeep is on the short list. I am interested to learn what others have paid recently. The options/configurations can be confusing. I am looking for a V6, 4wd, Nav, moon roof, leather and most interior convenience/comfort features. I am shopping in metro chicago. Thank you.