Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and Earlier - Jeep Cherokee (All) Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• paulepaule Posts: 382
    Has anyone bought an '09 yet? I know the deals on the '08s are pretty hard to overlook right now but I'm wondering if the '09s are out and how much they're coming off MSRP on them.
    I'm not looking for another 6 months; just wondering what the initial discount people are getting on them.
  • verdugoverdugo Posts: 1,987
    Can't help you with the 09s, but here's my story from last year.

I started looking at an 08 last year in early September. My deal was invoice minus all rebates (I didn't have a trade in). At the time the rebates were $3000. They ended up going to $3500 plus free MyGig later.

Keep in mind this was BEFORE the SUV market tanking, which will work in your favor. FYI, Jeep delayed production of the 09s by a couple of weeks.

In 6 months, you should be able to get a sweet deal. The changes for 09 are minor (push button ignition, availability of internet, and some other minor things). So if you can live without those, you'll be able to get a great deal on a left over 08. This is specially true for the 5.7 HEMI as it got redisigned for 09 (1 better MPG).

Make sure you get the HID lighs. They are worth it!

Come back and let us know how you made out.

Angel
  • I am looking to buy a 2008 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4wd, 6cyl. MSRP is $31,390
    I have the incentives plan through work but don't yet know how much under invoice it truely is. The dealer just gave me a price of $20,500.00. How does this sound?
    From my research, I think the invoice is $28,797.00. The dealer told me today In October Jeep is giving 5500 customer cash + 500 cash.
    You can always check the rebates by going to jeep.com and looking them up in Edmunds. For my zipcode (95827), the jeep website only shows $5500. According to Edmunds, the extra $500 is only for military personnel (not sure if that's you). There's also a $400 dealer cash, which for your purposes it should be treated as a rebate.

You can also look up the invoice price here at Edmunds. Don't forget to add the regional advertising fee (I think it was around $350/$400) to get an accurate invoice price.

So lets assume that your $28,797 invoice price is correct. We have the following:

28797 invoice
    - 5500 rebate
    - 500 military rebate
    - 400 dealer cash
    --------

He's offering you a price of $20,500, which is $1897 under invoice. You can do better, I think. As I mentioned in a previous post, last september I got invoice price for a brand new 08. Now the 08 is a year old since the 09's are coming out, and the SUV market is really bad. I think you can do a bit better.

If you do have a trade in, make sure they don't screw you over on it.

Best of luck, and let us know how you do. We love ours, and I hope you like yours too.
  • Trying to figure out if I am getting a good deal: $19,500 for an 08 Jeep Grand Cherokee with Rocky Mountain package (MSRP: $33K+). I'm getting a good trade price on my car.

Decent deal? Any tips on potential other items to consider (extended warranty price, etc.)?

Thanks.
  • naatz1naatz1 Posts: 187
    If you look up the last 10 or so previous posts including one I made at 459; it would appear you are getting a good deal especially if you know the trade deal is good as well. Even though our gas in Minnesota has dropped to between $2.10-2.40 a gal and E85 close to $1.50 (I saw on TV some spots in OK are now under $2 gas, who would have thought we'd ever see that!) most of us know that is only temporary. Car dealers all over are hurting for financing and of course there are the risks/rumours of a Chrysler (Jeep) buyout by GM or foreign companies. However the Jeep brand is the most valuable they have and my dealer assured me months ago the warranties always go with the new purchaser. Note I bought the basic 70K mile added care extended warranty at purchase and got it down a few hundred doing it that day; I may have second thoughts on that now just to wait and see how all this financial stuff is handled since you can add it until 36K miles.

So it's nice to see people are still buying, go get a good deal! But maybe you can squeak out a few hundred more? Sheeze, last year I almost bought a Saturn Outlook and they who never drop prices found a way to get me $1500 more opening a free GM credit card and some other stuff. However we bought the Jeep and have been very happy with it after 12K miles, we just had our first minor warranty problem needing a new ignition lock cylinder but otherwise it's solid and helps me get through our yucky cold snowy winters.
  • Trying to figure out if I am getting a good deal: $19,500 for an 08 Jeep Grand Cherokee with Rocky Mountain package (MSRP: $33K+). I'm getting a good trade price on my car.

I think that's a pretty decent price! I've only seen one lower price and that was one of those doorbuster/loss leader ads for a one-off model @18,995. Never seen a price like that since.

I've been a Jeep fan for the last 12 years - specifically the Wranglers, but family needs lead me towards another product. IMO, and as another poster mentioned, the Jeep name/product definitely has more brand value than any Dodge/Chrysler.

Good Luck! and enjoy it if you've already pulled the trigger!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,810
    An advertising agency would like to speak with satisfied Jeep Grand Cherokee drivers. If you own or regularly drive one of these vehicles, please respond to jwahl@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than Friday, October 31st.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• I am going to purchase a 2008 Jeep(GC). The dealer is offering me a 7 year/70K extended warrenty for $2000. Is this a good deal? Is it worth it? If not, should I just wait during the 36,000 mile period to but the extended warrenty?
    No way. Don't take that warranty. Five seconds on google ("jeep extended warranty") led me to a 7/70k Maxium Care (i.e., it covers everything) by Jeep (stay away from 3rd party wararnties) for $1,090 with $100 deductible

And $1495 with $0 deductible.

And I know there are cheaper websites out there. So do your homework and save yourself some money.

One more thing, you DON'T have to buy a warranty at the dealer. You can get the warranty at any time before your 36 months/48k warranty expires. So you have time to decide and find the best deal.
  • Thanks for the reply (I figured it was way too high!!!).

I've got some research to do.

Thanks again.
    My suggestion is to find the best price you can online. Just make sure that it's a real jeep warranty. Then ask your dealer to match that price. If he says no, just buy it online.

Good luck.
    This is really more to jettatrouble: I tend to agree with verdugo as well, go with Jeep/Chrysler, most of the 3rd party warrantly companies are questionable. However as I posted two days ago, if you have concerns about the Jeep/Chrysler company longetivity (course then why would you buy a Jeep?!) or even a future purchaser company like GM or others backing up the warranty, since it's pretty obvious Cerebus WILL sell them to someone else, WAIT a few years to your 3/36k limit. You'll get a better idea then how you vehicle is holding out quality-wise by then too.

I paid $540 for the added care 7/70 $100 ded (major components only) a year ago 10/07 on my Jeep, mainly to get the option for a free loaner car while in service, roadside assistance, and loaner when traveling since I am using my vehicle for winter trips down south. I will decide before 3/36 if I want to upgrade it to Max care.

As a comparison I paid a negotiated $900 3/07 to add the Max care (7/70 $100 ded) plan on my 2004 Chrysler 300M - that was on top of the 7/70 powertrain they already put on that vehicle. In 18 mons I only have had 1 warranty service which saved me $700. It's hard to compare a 300M to a 4WD Jeep which does have higher maintenance costs but the 300M has a lot more luxury stuff than my Jeep Laredo. I'd guess your $1090 Max is in the range of my $540 Added had I gone to that, I don't remember what they quoted but I do know for $2000 they offered a LIFETIME Max care!

PS-gas just dropped to $2.12, bet we won't have that in 6 months, unfortunately.
  • rugby5rugby5 Posts: 4
    Can you tell us if you completed the sale. Also, where did you get this deal I would like to get one like this.
  • I'm about to sign off on a 2008 GC Laredo Rocky Mountain with MyGIG, V8, Power Sunroof and sound upgrade....MSRP is $35995....with incentives and negoiation I was able to get the dealer to $25000.00. I believe he has a little more left but it seems like a decent deal...any thoughts?
    Also....I thought the Rocky edition came with leather but this does not? Any feedback would be much appreciated.
  • Was in a dealership this past weekend and for a 2008 GC Limited with 5.7L Hemi was quoted $28.5K, $499/month lease before taxes and fees. Sticker price was 41K. Does anyone have a sense as to whether this is a decent deal or not.

Can anyone give me a sense as to where I can negotiate down to on a 2008 Laredo X in current market conditions>?
  • Hey Everyone,

I'm looking to get into a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with X Package in Red Rock on Black Interior. I've been quoted a Price of $19,500 after all rebates and discounts. Do you think this is a good deal.

And I've also been quoted a price of $1665 for the Lifetime Max Care Warranty. Is that a good deal?

Thanks for the help.
  • paulepaule Posts: 382
    What are the MSRP and Invoice prices including the rebates?
    Does it have the 6 or 8? Knowing the list/retail price would be good but assuming it's 4WD that seems like a very good deal. However be sure you have proof that the Lifetime Maxcare Service has an insurance plan backed by your state just in case Chrysler would go belly up. They are supposed to at least in my state (MN) but when I called the Chrylser 800 number all they could tell me is "yes I am covered" but did not know who the insurer is. Backed by Chrysler LLC does not cut it if they are gone especially into Chapter 7 liquidation. I sent them an email but no reply yet so if the government loans hit impass in early December I may take my dealers offer to get my $500+ back (you can see in earlier posts I purchased the AddedCare a year ago but still have 24 mons to go before I'd even need it ... another interesting question is who backs up a 3/36 warranty or the lifetime powertrain when the company is gone). I am not optimistic unless both Chrysler gives concessions and the USGov wakeup to stop the craziness.
  • Thanks for the info on the warranty. I'll definately ask the dealer about that now since i'm in NY.

The MSRP on the car is $35,750 for a 4WD 3.7 Liter V6. I'm getting 10,500 in rebates with balloon financing and Employee Pricing.

I'm going to be picking up the car this week and hope this helps other people get a good deal.