Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Jeep Wrangler Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• shine2shine2 Member Posts: 4
    Sorry for the delay in answering, I've been out of town.

Yes, it came with the lifetime powertrain warranty and 3 year standard warranty as well.

I had printouts from sites like this with people quoting prices they had gotten. I also pulled printouts from yahoo cars etc with great deals, even if they weren't 'exactly local'...I would, in fact, drive a couple of hundred of miles to save a couple of thousand dollars etc....

I am not sure what they did to lower the price, but I do know they were very motivated because it was a 2008 and 'said' they lost money on it. (Who knows if that is really true, I sure don't know.)

Again, sorry for the delay in responding. Good luck!
  • seadoonitseadoonit Member Posts: 1
    Just bought an 09 Wrangler X 2 door automatic w/24S package, hard top, power conv group, anti slip differential, sirrus sat radio and deep tinted windows. MSRP was $27090 and got it for $19500 plus 3yr 0% interest. We feel like we got a good deal. Took a lot of calls and negotiating to dealers locally and in nearby states but it paid off in the pocketbook.

Love'n my Jeep, now it's time to play and accessorize!!!! :shades:
  • sunnyscsunnysc Member Posts: 3
    I have just recently been contemplating buying a 09 Wrangler Unlimited. That 19500 price sounds good, I guess that was the Employee Pricing Plus Plus deal??? My question is should I buy one now if I get a really good deal or wait till the 2010's come out as I am not in a real big hurry to buy, Sometimes I feel that buying a new vehicle this late in the model year seems to make the depreciation value worse.
    Any thoughts anyone.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    ................... I am not in a real big hurry to buy, Sometimes I feel that buying a new vehicle this late in the model year seems to make the depreciation value worse.

Unless there were changes during a model year, an early build and a late build will depreciate equally.
    Buying last year's model can be a gamble though, unless you get a really good price or intend to keep it for ten years.

For you, now is probably a good time to buy as you obviously have no time pressure and can afford to look around and compare deals.
    mac24, thanks your response. I think I am going to start checking with some dealers tomorrow and if the deal looks right i may jump. If not I can wait till the 2010's come out. Just wasn't sure if the deals out there now are that good to make me but an 09 now.
    I too am in the same situation. Thinking of waiting for 2010's but wondering about deals and prices between now and then. I have a couple of prices that seem a little too high. An 08 4X4 Unlimited X (fairly well equipped (a/t and power pkg) for little under 24K and an 09 similarly equipped for about 26500. Hoping for a better deal.
    Any thoughts????
  • fgxtomfgxtom Member Posts: 11
    Hi all, I have been looking for a few weeks for a new wrangler. I initially started out wanting a 2 door hard top Rubi in red with an auto. I didn't really want any other options. Al I am able to find are other colors, and most in my area are in the 28 to 29K price range. Well I came across a 2009 Unlimited Rubi, it is black but it has about everything else I want. The employee price less the rebate is $29500. Which if I am going to pay $29K anyway it might as well be for a 4 door. Any my question is is there more negotiating room beyond the employee price and rebates and financing? I am selling a bike, truck and jet ski, so I wont need to finance too much. But the more I can save, the safer the loan is in this economy.
    I thought I read in previous posts members buying theirs for a few thousand less than the employee price plus rebates.
    The next question will only lead to speculative answers, but with the current incentives scheduled to end thursday, but the impending problems Chrysler is having is there a good chance rebates will improve, or at least the financing go to 60 months? Thanks in advance. Also is that $29K a pretty good deal on a fairly loaded rubi unlimited?
  • thecrazy8sthecrazy8s Member Posts: 8
    I bought my JK Unlimited Rubi (auto/hardtop/power pkg/--no Mygig or side air bags)
    for $28,900 last summer with no incentives. I'd think you should be able to do better than I did in this economy.
    Wow $28,900 with no incentives or rebates. That is a good deal. How did you work it? This on I am looking at is $30500 employee price, adn then the $1000 rebate makes it $29500, but I told them I only needed the hard top, so I wanted them to keep the soft top and they needed to cut the price $500. THey thought they could do that. Should I be asking for more. I would love to save more if possible, I just dont know if it is. I think the invoice on this one is around $31500, adn the list is around $34500. I would love to buy it in the $27K range, but I am really hoping they improve the number months of 0% on Friday. I would like 48 to 60 months 0%. I know they have some deadlines with the feds for friday, so I dont know if the rebates and incentives will improve or not. It seems more likely not. I guess I may just wait it out, and iof they get worse, I'll just stay on the fence.
    Well I decided not to jump by the end of the month. Does any one know if the rebates changed, improved got worse. I know with Chrysler filing bankruptsy yesterday, they dont have any cash. But it seems like moving existing inventory would be very important.
  • marcovichmarcovich Member Posts: 3
    Im looking into buying a wrangler unlimited sahara or rubicon and am curious to see what the price that I could get it at.... What do you think its worth with the economy the way it is right now? If you own one what did you get it for?
    It seems as though EPP and the 0% are gone for now. maybe after the restructure adn merger, they will come back. I stayed on the fence hoping for 0% for 60 months. The BR ended all hopes for that. As sonn as I can buy and unlimited rubi with power and a hard top for about $29K and 0% for 60 Im in. I found one locally in black that should do nicely.
  • busman01busman01 Member Posts: 46
    I want to purchase a 2009 Wrangler and need help with the following questions:

1. Why would I want a Sahara rather than an X/Sport?

2. With the factory shutdowns, should availabilty of a particular model w/options be a significant problem?

3. Is the Edmunds TMV a negotiating starting point?

Thanks.
    The sahara will come with the dana 44 rear axle and dana 30 front, the x comes with 30 front and rear. The difference is toughness and durability. The dana 44 will take most anything you throw at it.
    The sahara also comes with a host of power features and a better suspension, not to mention the exterior differences.
    Buy the x if you want to get into the cheapest jeep possible, buy the sahara if you want a more capable off roader with the ability to make it a true trail rig down the road. Buy the rubicon if you want a trail ready rig with lifetime warranty straight off the lot. If you upgrade the other two with aftermarket stuff you run the risk of jepordizing the warranty, and believe me the new owners of Chrystler will look for any way possible to not honor your waranty. So buy what you think you will need.
    I believe the prices right now may be as high as they will be for a while. THey dont have any incentives to speak of, because they cant afford to offer them right now. Best bet is to stay on the fence untill fall, the deals will roll then. You may not get the exact color, or what ever, but you will probably be able to buy a sahara for the cost of an X right now.
    You should probably just go on the Jeep website to compare the models for yourself. I believe both the X and Sahara have the D30 front with the D44 rear. The Sahara basically has more "creature comforts" and "style" options.

Sahara: 18" wheels, painted fenders, tinted windows, "premium" cloth seats, keyless entry, side steps, and upgraded stereo options.

I know in 08 the "X" had a few options that were not available to the Sahara; sway bar disconnect, rear locker, and half doors. You may want those options if they are of interest to you.

There is a big price difference between the X and Sahara, and not too big between the Sahara and Rubicon. You need to decide what the primary purpose for buying the Jeep is and go with the option that best suits your needs and budget.
  • mikeya2112mikeya2112 Member Posts: 6
    Hi All,

Just a reply to busman01 inquery...

Check out the Wrangler X with the 24S package. It has the 44 rear, all power options(if thats what you want), heavy duty suspension, and 17" wheels/tires...I have an 08 with the 24S package, still beats the price of a Sahara with just a few less goodies. Good luck!

~Mike
  • busman01busman01 Member Posts: 46
    Thanks everyone for the valuable input.

Something else came to mind. Can anyone explain the need for the "dual top"? Why would you want a soft and hard top on at the same time? Wouldn't that create extra weight?

Again thanks.
  • TheMagicTikiTheMagicTiki Member Posts: 5
    Hey, All!

I am debating whether or not now is the time to jump in on an 09 Unlimited Sahara. I just started the bidding process with a couple of local dealers. I'm seeing 09 Unlimiteds with a few options (remote starter here, dual top there), typically between $31 and $33 to start, going for $4500 less even before you step into teh dealership.

How does this sound? Is there more room to play, or should I be patient and let the "restructuring" play out for a bit? Any thoughts would be appreciated!
  • markandhillsmarkandhills Member Posts: 15
    Just checking in to see if anyone's been buying 09 Sahara Editions lately, and if so, what kind of pricing you're getting. Talked with a dealer over the weekend who came off a little over $2000 from MSRP but won't budge any further. Any reports from the wild? Thanks!
  • TheMagicTikiTheMagicTiki Member Posts: 5
    That sounds about right from when I was shopping about a month ago. Most dealerships would not budge below about $2,000 off MSRP. I was able to get an additional $2,000 to $2,500 off at one dealer with a corporate discount through work, but I think they're still overpricing them when you're starting at $32k to $34k.

I ended up getting a sweet deal on an 07 Sahara, soft top, 20K miles, super clean for about $22k. Paid for an extended warranty, but it was a much better deal. It seems that there is more give in the used market for the unlimiteds these days.

Hope that helps!
    The best deals are mostly gone now. They were from Chrysler dealers that lost the franchise.

Some people with finance already set up or cash, and with no trade, got truly amazing deals! :surprise:
  • mb789mb789 Member Posts: 89
    I'm thinking about ordering a Wrangler because I'm looking for a certain option that very few are equipped with. Could someone please explain the general steps for ordering and the paperwork, fees, and other $ that should and should NOT be involved.

When will ordering for 2010s begin? I am not in a hurry, so I don't have to order one this year. :)
    In theory, ordering a vehicle should be cheaper than buying one from the lot as there are no costs involved for the dealer to make the sale.
    However, most dealers will try to unload an in stock unit on you as it's costing them money to keep it on the lot, so just be firm.

Bottom line is that you need to negotiate the best price 'out the door', that is the total cost to you to drive it away either with or without the actual cost of tax, tag, and title as those are not negotiable.

It doesn't matter how the dealer arrives at that 'out the door' price as long as the figure is one that you're happy with.
    If the dealer wants to allocate $500 to paperwork and $1000 to preparation don't let it worry you, as long as the final price is the one you want to pay.

The OTD price is the easiest and simplest way to compare deals between one dealership and another.
  • docklearfandocklearfan Member Posts: 1
    First of all thanks to anyone that responds to my questions! thanks.
    1) I used Edmunds TVP true value pricing and was excited about the quote. Have you found this accurate?
    2) I gleaned that the MSRP is basically an inflated price that you would be nuts agreeing to, Correct? In fact the "list price" would qualify as well? correct?
    3) One dealership offered 0 % financing. So I asked if ( I did that Free credit report online) I had no negative information using Free credit report would that QUALIFY for their acceptance for zero percent financing. And the girl on the phone said YES, however I'm not sure what the SALESPERSON will say, So do I need to get my "Credit Score?" or will the Free credit report (Expirion,Equifax,I forget the last one) suffice to the dealer??
    Lastly, I just want a basic jeep. Wrangler x, automatic, air condition....I'm figuring around $ 20,000 ??? sound about right???
    Saw 2009 Wrangler Unlimited, X, automatic, very basic model. MSRP $26110. Suggestions on fair offering price?
    Also, it's a 4WD.
    How are buyers fairing on purchase price now that there are some rebates on Wranglers? Can you still expect only about $2000 off MSRP as discussed above, or more?
  • wolfmaniiwolfmanii Member Posts: 10
    I am planning to purchase a wrangler x unlimited 4x4 manual

I found one which has the limited slip differential, 3.73 axle ratio and floor mats option

I proposed the offer below

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------
    Total Selling Price: 23,914.00
    ( Invoice listed every where, like Kelly Blue Book, NADA)
    Waste Tire and Bettery: 6.50
    Fee and Service: 799.00
    Total Taxable Amount: 24719.50
    Tax: 1483.14
    License/Title/Registration: 282.00
    Incentive (1000.00)
    Discount on mis fee (200.00)
    --------------------------------------------
    Out to Door: 25284.14

The dealer gave me this number $26,134 out the door and refused to continue
    the negotiation.

How do I move on?
    Yep, sounds familiar. I contacted a couple dealers and made a couple offers, but they didn't result in a sale. Not much negotiating on the basic models. Hopefully you'll hear from some of the others on here who have received "amazing" deals. BTW, I talked to the dealers in July, and the Wranglers are still sitting on their lots.. . ;)
    The dealer gave me this number $26,134 out the door and refused to continue
    the negotiation.
    How do I move on?

Do it literally, you'll need to speak with several dealers before you get the price you want.

Incidentally, you should be able to do better OTD than invoice plus fixed costs.
    Remember that whatever offer you make, the salesman will almost always try to bump you up somewhat; it's his job after all.
    Had you offered $1K under invoice for that Unlimited he might have come back with a figure you could accept. ;)

Keep this in mind when (assuming it to be true) you hear of an excellent deal someone else got.
    It didn't happen because the dealership was feeling generous that day, it happened because someone made a low offer and was prepared only to come up to the price they really wanted to pay.

One final point, there are now many fewer dealerships to negotiate with than in the past, which means less competition between them. Prices aren't likely to be as low as they have been in recent years for a long time into the future. :(
    Thank you for your help.

mac24, my quote is basically
    invoice + dealer fee + tax - 1000 dollar incentive

Are you suggesting my initial quote to be
    (invoice - 1000 dollars) + dealer fee + tax - 1000 dollar incentive?

If so, I am going to try one more time near the end of this month
    with a different contact information.
    I offered similar to what mac24 suggested -- I was about $800 under invoice, not too bad for an initial offer -- it's not like I was asking for $3000 or $4000 off. The dealer didn't even counter offer, but replied with a statement about how small the markup was on that Jeep. And, it wasn't the only Unlimited they had -- they have a stockpile of 2-door and 4-door Wranglers.

The other dealer, I asked for a price quote, and they barely came off the sticker price by several hundred, so I felt like it was going to be a 4-hour bickering session at either dealer, so I passed on them.
    Are you suggesting my initial quote to be
    (invoice - 1000 dollars) + dealer fee + tax - 1000 dollar incentive?

Correct. In other words, $1K less than your original offer might have enabled you to haggle back up to the price you originally wanted...............or they might have thrown you out the door! ;)

Keep in mind that while it's easy to increase your offer, it's virtually impossible to lower it.
    The dealer didn't even counter offer, but replied with a statement about how small the markup was on that Jeep.

He may have been telling the truth. Depending on how long they've been on the lot, two identical vehicles may be worth very different amounts to the dealer.

The other dealer, I asked for a price quote, and they barely came off the sticker price by several hundred, so I felt like it was going to be a 4-hour bickering session at either dealer, so I passed on them.

Most of the better deals come after several hours of negotiation I'm afraid, and when they don't, when the dealer accepts your first offer, you immediately think you must have offered too much.

However, being prepared to walk away is just part of the process of negotiation.
    You may have to kiss quite a few frogs before you find a prince. ;)
    Most of the better deals come after several hours of negotiation I'm afraid, and when they don't, when the dealer accepts your first offer, you immediately think you must have offered too much.

Eeep! My ideal is to get to a price the dealer and I agree on in about a 1/2 hour. And, there was going to be a trade involved, so I definitely wouldn't want to spend 4 hours negotiating the new car price + 4 hours negotiating trade price. :)

A couple dealers I talked to were 50 - 70 miles away, so I don't want to go there if something really can't be worked out. I sometimes wish we could use something like a mutual auction site where they posted their car (like on eBay) with pictures, and I posted my car with pictures, CARFAX (or similar), and I bid on their car and they bid on mine, so you agreed on both prices (with minor contingencies), before going to the dealer. One dealer was willing to start the trade process over the phone, but we didn't get that far after I asked him some questions about the vehicle he had in stock and decided I wasn't going to buy it.
    My ideal is to get to a price the dealer and I agree on in about a 1/2 hour

Sorry, that's a way too sensible expectation! :P
    This dealer called me today touting that he sold it with MSRP price to another
    guy.

:<
    There really is a sucker born every second. It is hard to believe that anyone would pay near MSRP on a vehicle today. Heck 30% of the cost of that rig was already paid for with your tax dollars. Dealers that stick to only selling at MSRP wont be around much longer anyway.
    Well, now you know these things:

1. The dealer was a jerk for bragging like that.
    2. The person who bought it PAID TOO MUCH. A. At least that wasn't you. B. The dealer was probably telling that person you were going to pay MSRP. ;)
    3. They are making more Wranglers, so don't worry. :D
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,288
    This dealer called me today touting that he sold it with MSRP price to another
    guy.

Well, now you know that the dealer is a jackass- and almost certainly a liar as well. There are plenty of other Wranglers and Jeep dealers to choose from

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Too bad the dealer had to brag about selling your car rather than trying to get you to come in and look at something else. I wouldn't do business with that dealership.

I've been reading this thread regarding current pricing on JK's and want to mention that the dealerships are no longer making their "bonus" levels by selling huge quantities of cars. We enjoyed low prices, and good negotiations when the dealers where making their profits off the bonuses for selling mass quantities of vehicles.

With those bonuses levels now being impossible to meet, they must make as much money as possible on each individual deal.

Make the best deal you can, but honestly don't expect to get the deals we were getting last year.

No, I don't work for a car dealership (I'm a stay at home mom with a Rubicon JKU)
    but have friends in the industry.
    That dealer called me today saying the deal he touted failed. Because
    that buyer could not be qualified for a loan.

He asked me to negotiage on site. But he also said that
    this vehicle will be upgraded with bigger tire and wheel if I do not buy
    it this week.

I guess he is just trying to play a game to create some kind of "URGENCY".

Anyway, I will see him this weekend
    With those bonuses levels now being impossible to meet, they must make as much money as possible on each individual deal.

The goal has always been to try to make as much money as possible! :D

Bonuses or not, cars should have price breaks just like everything else.
  • jeep95helpjeep95help Member Posts: 6
    i have been trying to sell my 95 wrangler for the blue book price of $5160 and i have not gotten any hits on it at all, what am i doing wrong, does nobody what to buy this car or what.its in great shape how do i get some one to just come see it?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    It's hard for the books to be accurate on a 15 yr old car.. too many variables. Personally, $5160 seems awfully high..

Post the details of your car here: Real-World Trade-In Values

Someone may be able to give you a value for it..

Also, check out the market.... There aren't many cars from '95 that will bring, $5000... even those that originally sold for a lot more than a Wrangler.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Anyway, I will see him this weekend

He lied to you, and now he wants you to go back and play games on his terms! :surprise:

Why would you reward him with the prospect of your business? Why? :confuse:
    Well?? Did you get the Wrangler?
    What I really I mean is, did you find a great offer at another dealer and go there to buy one?? ;)
    Just got it today.

Wrangler 4x4 unlimited X manual transmission, base model + 3.37 ratio + anti spin differential

Thank you guys for all the advices.
    I traded in my nissan pathfinder. But I guess Lost the game, I negotiated using
    trade in value as my start point. Dealer does not want to take it, but a friend of
    him took my with cash for the "GOOD" blue book trade in value.

Had I know this, I would start with private party price.