Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Infiniti FX50 / FX35 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• wibblewibble Posts: 569
    How does that logic work? They may have had 30 a month ago.
  • Just got my 2003 Ivory FX35, no options for $750 over invoice. No too bad. Can't wait for delivery on Monday.
  • I've been in the market for an FX35 fully loaded and all the dealerships here in the bay area Ca. want MSRP. Did anyone one this board from the Bay Area get a better deal. If not I think I'll wait for the 04's to come out, then they might want to go down even just a little...
  • How much off MSRP did you get and where did you purchase?
  • I paid 42500 (46380 out the door) for my 2003 FX35 with tech package. The only accessory it had was the roof rails (no cross ones). There were some minor blemishes to the exterior of the car but the dealer is fixing it. Otherwise, I've really enjoyed the car.
  • ngkiyanngkiyan Posts: 19
    I bought mine in the bay area in March ,FX35 RWD with tech package and roof rails and cargo mat for
    $43500.00 plus t&L. If you want to know where and who to deal with ,e-mail me and I can give you the names. The dealership was great to deal with. By the way , I leased mine.
  • timtx01timtx01 Posts: 11
    Can anyone fill me in on experiences with Houston dealerships? I'm finding them not very anxious to do deals on FX35's which strikes me as odd since they're obviously not selling well here. Between the 3 Houston dealerships there are easily 80-100 of the FX35/45s in stock and they admit they keep getting more. Infiniti's 2.9% financing through January 2004 also hints that the cars aren't moving well, and I've seen almost none on Houston roads. I'm looking to trade a 2000 BMW 528 wagon in excellent condition with just 28k miles on it but am getting absurdly low numbers for the trade of $17-19k, and I simply will not do that with Carmax over $22k (trade is highly desirable in Texas because it offsets against sales tax). I figure at some point, one of the dealers will realize that a reasonable sale allowing some profit is better than no sale, but I'm not sure how much more blunt about this I can be. I'm not budging from my numbers so it's a waiting game...
  • clpurnellclpurnell Posts: 1,087
    not sure where you live in houston but I see 1 or 2 everyday here. We are not infested with them like the rx330's and mdx's but they are very popular at least on the southwest side of town where I have seen over a dozen different ones. The dealers here do not deal there really are only two dealers as the guy who owns SW infiniti also owns clear lake and west side and north houston have the same ownership. I think they collude on pricing. I got mine (FX35 RWD Black w/Blk/brick int and Tech package) from Grubbs in dallas there are one of the top 3 infiniti dealers in the country and the people at SW infiniti wouldn't even come close to touching there price. I think Grubbs will sell them for 4-800 over invoice right now. You want more information e-mail me. They have an FX35 AWD Tech with SUPERCHARGER on sale now for 46.5K.
  • timtx01timtx01 Posts: 11
    I knew SW Infiniti and Clear Lake were the same owner, but I didn't know that North Houston and West Houston were connected. However, the Southwest dealership admitted to me that it was talking to the North Houston dealership about my desired vehicle and trade. So they are clearly all working together. Frankly this is a major problem in the Houston car market and something should be done about it on the legal front. Last year I was negotiating with BMW and couldn't get anywhere on numbers because 3 of the 4 local BMW stores are all the same owner. Finally one suggested I shop my trade at CarMax, and I got so tired of their attitude and unwillingness to talk numbers that I found my BMW 528 at CarMax instead. It was a much better purchase. Infiniti here in Houston won't get my business either if they keep being obstinate, frankly I'm fed up. I will gladly take my business to Dallas if need be. If any other Houston customers know of collusion like this please contact me. I will be happy to coordinate info and see if state/local authorities would be interested in it. Thanks - Tim
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,575
    Good luck; from what I hear, the Texas auto dealers lobby makes the NRA and AARP look like amateurs.

Here's a link for you (Consumers Union). Check the archives under Financial Services.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

You are exactly right you can't use autobytel or carsdirect in texas. they have a very powerful pressence.
  • Where did you guys pick up your FX35's in the Bay Area? Thanks

Ric (joystix2@yahoo.com)
  • Hey Joystix,

I went to Pennisula Infiniti. The guys there are great. I would ask for Ron. But make sure you get a better price than I did. I think I paid a couple hundred more than I should have. But don't go to the steven's creek one. Their service sucks.
  • ncvolncvol Posts: 196
    I really like this vehicle, but can't get over the lack of real cargo space. I have two kids and two dogs, so I don't need a 3rd row of seating, but it just doesn't seem like 27.4 cubic feet of cargo space is very much. Even a Subaru Outback has 34.5. Is this number somehow deceiving? Is there more "functional space" than the numbers reveal?
  • 93fsu193fsu1 Posts: 97
    What the heck do you need to load into it? The numbers don't really mean much. Go take a look at it and see if it looks like your stuff will fit.

You can also rent a truck at several places nowadays for under $20 for a day.
    You'd be surprised at how much space luggage for two adults and two kids takes up, even for 3-day weekend trips. I've got a Ford Explorer right now, and space gets fairly tight. We also take our dogs with us sometimes, and that's really the kicker on space. I may just look into roof racks/luggage carriers for those trips where the dogs come along.
  • Hey, guys!
    Need a piece of advice here. I am dreaming about FX and a dealer in NY has 2003 FX45 Premium for $40,600, The car is brand new, 0 miles, not a demo or something.
    He got me approved for 1.9 APR with no down. Says I will pay $748.84/mo for 60 months (incl. tax). I am in Massachussets.
    He also says that I can lease it for 36 months for $562/mo with 10K mi/yr allowance (I will barely drive 5-7K mi a year).
    My assumption was: If I buy it and sell in 5 years, say for $20,000 it kind of makes my monthly payments lower by 20K/60=$335 so in fact the actual cost is about $415. If I lease it, dealer says, buyout is going to be 52% of $47,590 (it`s MSRP), hence $24,400 so if I buy out and sell it, say for $28,000, I`ll lower the average monthly lease payment for $100, hence true cost is $562-100=462.
    What would you, guys recommend - lease or buy?
    Don't put the dogs in the carriers! :)

The FX might not be the best choice if you are hauling dogs and kids and luggage.

Probably more along the lines of Expedition or some other huge vehicle would be best for long trips.
    try to get it for $39,000 - $39,600.

You might want to take the lease vs. buy question over to finance, warranty and insurance board.
    I really don't need anything Expedition-sized. My trips with kids are typically 2, 4 or 6 hours, and the dogs only go on the 2 hour rides. The alternatives I'm looking at are the Saab 9-5 wagon and the Mercedes E320 wagon (used). I'm thinking a roof carrier might be all I need for the trips with dogs, one of them basically sits in the front seat on my or my wife's lap anyway.

Thanks for the responses!
  • ignapignap Posts: 7
    Hey guys,

need some advice and help. how much should i be paying for the demo car described above..

also at this point is better to get a 2003 just below invoice or should i go for 2004

thanks !!
    I would say 2-3k in back of invoice so about 32-33k.
    I always avoid demo cars. They are probably driven harder than rentals and even worse than a used vehicle.

Kind of defeats the purpose of buying a new car.

Just get a great deal on a 2003 or wait for a 2004.
  • aas5aas5 Posts: 50
    does anyone know if there will be any new colors for FX in the new year?
    Thanks.
    No new colors in 2004
  • I am poised to buy a 2004 FX45 loaded with just about everything except the DVD player. Under MSRP? if so, how much over invoice? How do I determine invoice including options? Also, I'm planning on leasing - when salesperson learned that he said I shouldn't be caring about the MSRP etc.???????

Thanks for your input!

BTW. the Edmunds TMV pricing report gave a TMV = MSRP
  • I am about ready to try to make my deal on an '03 FX35 w/Tech, RWD. Would like to have satellite radio too but not necessary. Since the '04s are sitting on the local lots now (I'm in the Dallas area), do any of you folks have suggestions on what I should pay? I think depreciation should be a pretty big factor at this time of the year, with the '04s out. From what I've been hearing, the residuals on the '04s are not substantially better than those on the '03s, and I would think one could get more money off the MSRP on an '03 than an '04. Suggestions anyone?
    newtisme - I would shoot for 800-1000 over invoice should be easily doable on the '04. If you are leasing however and the improvements aren't a big deal I would get a left over '03 as the MF is really cheap and residuals are the same and you should get a better discount.

chigirl - ready to pull the trigger eh :) I would offer 1k back of invoice. Even though the tech cars have been hot sellers the 03's must go. Shoot an e-mail to the local dealers with your price and got to the first one who takes it. You can make sure they have the color combo you want by checking infiniti.com and looking at their inventory. good luck :)
  • Thanks, Chris, for the suggestion. I'm hoping to get this done in the next week or so. Can't wait!!

One other question to all of you FXers out there--what is the most popular color? I favor the black, despite the hot Dallas summers, but the notes you black, FX owners gave encouraged me to stay with it. My hubby prefers the Diamond Graphite, and my teenaged daughter likes the (?!) red. What resells the best?

Thanks to everyone on this board for info and assistance. What a great source this is!

ChiGirlInTexas
    Cubs---wait til next year (as always)
  • From the cars I've seen in our area I'd say the Diamond Graphite, Black and Silver are the most popular, and they all look nice. I have the black and naturally think that's the best one! The FX is an aggressive-looking vehicle, and I figured that I might as well go all the way! And to my eyes, black shows off its lines the best. I like red but I don't think it's a good color for the FX at all. If I were buying a G35 Coupe then it would be a different story.