Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti FX50 / FX35 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• srr3306srr3306 Member Posts: 12
    Love it! Got Touring, no tech, no sport, splash guards, roof rails, cargo cover, graphite/willow. Cannot brag about my deal since the market is very tight here in Philly. People down south are getting better deals. I worked the dealer down to the equivalent of (discount was added to my trade) $37,500 which was probably $500 over what I might have gotten, but this was the last one on the lot optioned the way I wanted it. Two other dealers blew me off before we got near these numbers. Might have done a bit better had I taken advantage of the financing promo, but I paid cash.

Pros: Handling (I Traded a Lexus RX, the difference is night & day.) Power, seats, controls. xenons. Ride is fine with the 18s, if a bit noisy. Very tightly built. Load floor is very wide and usable if not that huge.

Cons: Tires. RE92s are generally panned for lousy treadlife and snow/wet traction. I expect the electronics will counter some of that. There are no real acceptable substitutes out there that I can see in the original size. Lack of a sliding cargo cover is a pain. Found a dealer in Dallas on these boards that sells them for $230. Will have to get one. Small glove box. need more under-floor storage. LCD without tech is a bit lame.
  • youngone3youngone3 Member Posts: 1
    If anyone else received in the neighborhood of 3% over invoice on the 2004 FX45, could you please tell me which Infinity dealership you purchased from? I am looking at a fully loaded 2004, and would appreciate some tips from those who were able to secure good deals in this range. Thanks in Advance!

Post #135 RE: '04 FX45 fair price by newtisme Dec 01, 2003 (11:18 am)
    I live in the SF Bay Area and got mine Blck, Brick/Blk, loaded for invoice plus 3% - and that was after a lot of research and various internet offers. I believe that's about the best you can do, and would be a fair price. Hope this helps. Let us know what happens.
  • rollbarrollbar Member Posts: 297
    Can you explain what you mean. I'm not familiar with this....but it sounds like a nice feature.

Thanks.....

Roll
  • a_a_chena_a_chen Member Posts: 3
    I've read and benifitted from many of your posts prior to my purchase yesterday, so I thought I'd share my experience --

My deal: '04 FX35 Tech/Touring/Splash/CargoMat in DiamondGraph/Graph for $40,125 -- $400 over invoice ($800 over Edmunds' invoice). Ended up buying from a pleasant salesman from Infiniti Tustin. Metro Infiniti (Monrovia) had basically the same vehicle for a similar deal. I was able to work the deal down a tad bit more than what I negotiated over the phone. Email me if you want more details.

Also had a question: did any (or all) of you get floormats with an embroidered Infiniti logo standard? Mine came with rather average looking and fitting mats, and I'm wondering if I was shorted... Thanks and good luck to all.
  • wibblewibble Member Posts: 569
    The floor mats in the FX are plain. All the other Infiniti mats have the logo on them. Why is this the case? Je ne sais pas as they say in Paris.
  • gibogibo Member Posts: 22
    Some readers on the other pricing forum are asking where to find "real" invoice pricing. Is that to say that the numbers off Edmunds are not correct? Why must one buy the info from Consumer Reports?
  • petewat3petewat3 Member Posts: 83
    "The floor mats in the FX are plain"
    Wibble- the all-weather floor mats (blk rubber) are much better IMO. They fit nicely and complement the brick/blk interior nicely as well....fyi
  • aleksd1aleksd1 Member Posts: 37
    Just wanted to thank everybody on this forum for your advice and info. I've been reading and posting here for about 6 months and finally decided to buy a new car. I originally wanted FX35 but after having horrible experience with Cutter Infiniti in Santa Barbara and Infiniti of Ventura, I decided to get something else and eventually got Acura MDX. I was also partly swayed from buying FX by my driving experience. Even though it handled really well, I did not like the interior, especially when compared with my old 94 J30. Every time I see FX on the street while driving my MDX, I feel a tingle of regret, because FX looks so great, but after having bad dealer experience I just did not want to give them my money. I even contacted Infiniti corporate, but they did not care at all. Sorry for the long post,but I just wanted to thank everybody for sharing valuable info about your cars and buying experiences
  • wibblewibble Member Posts: 569
    Ask the dealer to show you the invoice for the car you wish to buy. if they won't then go to a different dealer.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    The edmunds invoice is accurate except for the caveat that they do not include regional advertising fees. The only site that I know that include these fees in there invoice price is carsdirect.com The base number from edmunds + the advertising fee is what will be on the invoice you see from the dealer.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Thanks Clpurnell.

I don't know why people feel like they have to pay for this info when we have it here for free (unless you're Canadian - I don't know of any free CA invoice pricing out there).

We don't include the ad fees since they do vary by region.

Steve, Host
  • fxfanfxfan Member Posts: 30
    Funny thing is in Austin they don't have adv. fees for Infiniti's. The invoice price matched to the penny with Edmund's. I don't know if that applies to all of Texas, anyone in Dallas or Houston pay adv. fees?
    I bought in dallas and can't remeber if they were on there or not.
  • redirectorredirector Member Posts: 27
    In recent weeks, I have received some good offers for 2004 FX35's, consistent with this board (ie, +$500 over invoice).

Two questions:

- Pricing: How much below a comparably equipped 04 should I expect for a new 03? The first dealer I spoke to was not prepared to concede anything, I'm not so sure. I'm thinking 10-15%, but I might be unrealistic.

- "Suspension changes": were they enacted in mid '03 on some late-model-year 03's, or were the changes made only to the 04's?
    suspension changes only happened on the '04 most that have driven both say they are negligible. I would not buy a new '03 because the most dealers will do is probably a grand under invoice but you are looking at a much bigger depreciation hit. I would buy the 04 for 500 over.
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    I agree with clpurnell about taking an 04, rather than an 03. That is, unless the dealer gives you a huge discount on the depreciation, which will probably not happen.
  • rimrockranchrimrockranch Member Posts: 4
    I have also been lurking here since I saw the FX at last winter's auto shows. Finally got serious about a new car at Thanksgiving; but so many models to choose from. One requirement: AWD or 4WD. So I test drove the FX35, the G35x, Volvo S80 & XC90, Murano & 4Runner. The 4Runner was the most practical, the Volvos were the safest, but the FX satisfied my mid-life crisis.
    Picked it up last Friday, no sport but went for the tech package and I'm glad I did. The rear camera is great and the nav is lots of fun, can't wait for a trip but I've enjoyed it as I driven back and forth to work (32 miles one way).
    Thanks to all for your words of wisdom about your buying experience and your enthusiasm about the FX.
    Congratulations! Enjoy the ride...
  • 93fsu193fsu1 Member Posts: 97
    Mine never ceases to make me grin.
  • petew4petew4 Member Posts: 71
    "Mine never ceases to make me grin"
    ..... congrats rim! yup....I definitely agree with 93fsu1, I don't think I've ever had so much fun playing with a vehicle. Never knew there were so many cool back road alternatives to my daily 100 m. commute until I got the FX. Good choice with the tech. Have fun!
  • 93fsu193fsu1 Member Posts: 97
    I even took my FX on a 1700 mile round trip and it was a pleasure the entire time. (Made the same trip in many vehicles, most recently a Toyota Highlander - it was hell).

I didn't surrender the wheel until midway through the return trip. Then it was a challenge to get it back.

Even if given an unlimited budget, I would have no other vehicle.
  • nljohnnljohn Member Posts: 4
    You said it, no better car for the money. I'm always being checked out. And my wife's jealous and she has a Hot 2003 Volvo S60T5 which moves too..
  • drdeepdrdeep Member Posts: 3
    With a new baby on board, my wife and I are looking for something with a little more room but still fun to drive. We are seriously considering the FX35. One concern we have is the handling of the FX in hard winter weather as we live in Western PA and waking up to 6"-8" of snow is not unusual. Any comments would be much appreciated. Our C-class 4-Matic is fantastic for what its worth.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    The all wheel drive system on the FX is very capable in snow. If you are really concerned, spring for some good winter tires and you will not be disappointed. Otherwise it will do "OK" but it's largely the tires that determine how good your winter traction will be. The stock 20 inchers on the sport pkg are all season but are more performance oriented than what you may be looking for. I purchased a set of winter tires for my FX45, and the thing is a blast to drive in the snow.
    Thanks for the response. We were looking at the 18" wheels which we hope will perform well in inclement weather. All of our other 4-wheel drive vehicles (A4, C-class 4-matic) have been amazing in the snow with all season tires. For greater peace of mind I guess you could buy a set of Blizzaks but I would hope to have not to. Thanks for the info.

Anyone with buying experiences in Pittsburgh to share?
    I'm in central MD (not far from you) and I've had no problems with my FX45 in snow so far with the stock 20 inchers. My dealer is in B'More so that's probably no help for you in Pittsburg. The dealer experience has been the best I've had - always an Infiniti loaner available, always get it in quickly (within a week), and they always clean it inside and out no matter what it is in for. I feel spoiled given past less-than- exemplary experiences with other manufacturers.
    Here's a video that an FX owner made while playing in the snow with their FX. You'll have to download it to see how much fun it was and how capable the FX is, in the snow. However, I concur that a good set of winter tires are a must.
    Thanks for the past responses. Actually took a test drive in an FX35 w/ stock 18" wheels last night. Drove to the steepest street that I knew of in Pittsburgh and had quite the experience. With the salesman at my side in the passenger seat, we started up the hill which was narrow and covered in ice. Another car was coming down so I had to stop about a quarter of the way up to allow him to pass. As I tried to get going again, we actually started to slide BACKWARDS. The salesman calmly said to reverse back to the bottom of the street and start again in snow mode. I had to give the FX more throttle but, with a few jerky movements, we made it up the street. I was quite impressed with that. Going back downhill was easier and the vehicle felt like it was in good control. Ice can stop anything on wheels and the FX held its own on Pittsburgh's toughest street IMHO.
  • hombogerohombogero Member Posts: 13
    I will be picking up my FX45 (blk/blk...tech...chrome wheels). I seriously considered the Cayenne S. After reading every post about the FX and Cayenne on these message boards I decided on the FX. My past cars include a 93 GMC typhoon and 98 M3. The FX takes allot about what I love about those cars and combines them, and eliminated the things I disliked about them. It has speed of the typhoon with some of the handling of the BMW in a SUV package. I love the M3, but could not think of getting another one because I enjoy the utility of the FX, as well as the all weather capability. (I live in Chicago) The car is waiting for me, but can't pick it up for another week because I am on a business trip. (Considered getting the flu so i could fly home early :) I paid $2500 over invoice. I have heard numbers of 3% over invoice which is about 1500. I feel the price I paid is fair, considering the inventory of the FX45 seems quite limited compared to the 35. I do have a few questions for the board. First, did you guys break these things in? My BMW wanted to keep the revs down for the first few thousand miles. Also, is there an easy way to read the tire pressure monitor. I have seen the read out, and it does not tell you which tire the read outs belong to. Finally, how often are you guys changing oil? I plan to use Mobil 1 synthetic.
  • walt28walt28 Member Posts: 4
    Just put deposit today on 04'FX45 with everything but tow hitch & cross bars at 51,460. Edmund's invoice price is 48,890 without advertising fee. Did large amount of research comparing vehicles but not enough price research on FX's. I want to lease w/option to buy for business reasons. Is this deal OK, South Jersey dealership.Blk/Blk....Also can anyone comment on how binding check deposit is as I'd like to shop around some more for better price.......THANKS
    I went easy on the revs for the first 1200 miles, keeping the tach at a maxium of 4000. As I recall this is what is recommended. Also, as I'm sure you've heard, you are supposed to vary the revs, up and down, rather than hold a steady speed during the break-in period. And easy on the brakes too. I've been changing oil, also using Mobil 1 starting with the second oil change, every 3,500 - 3,750 miles, except I did the first one (dino) at 1,000. Have about 13,400 on it now, and am very satisfied (except for the poorly designed seat warmers -it's been below 0 here in Minnesota as of late!). Good luck!
    there seems to be some conflicting info. out there regarding breakin of the FX. I was told none was needed and gave it none without any problems but others have posted that it is a good idea. I change my oil (FX45tech with 19,000mi) about every 3750 which is consistent with Infiniti's recommended hard-driving schedule - I put a lot of miles on it. The tire sensors report in to the puter on an as-ready basis and only the pressure is reported, not position, so the order of the screen readout is variable. In short, there's no way to know where a given reading is coming from but it seems to me that it would not be a major issue for Infiniti to correct with a software upgrade. And you're right about the 45 availability. I think I read that for rollout in 03 Infiniti planned 44,000 total with 11,000 of those FX45's & it sounds like you got a reasonable deal. Enjoy it!!!! I do.
  • hombogerohombogero Member Posts: 13
    I took delivery of my FX45 today. I logged about 60 miles today. Having test drove it quite a few times, I thought I knew exactly what to expect when I drove mine. However, after driving it all day, it actually exceeded my expectations. I really love how hard this car pulls of the line! Not to mention the handling. My tire pressure upon delivery was 32psi, and the ride felt great. It can be a little firm on bad pavement... but not as bad as my 98 4runner. Also, it did snow a little today (in Chicago) and the car felt solid at all times. Granted it was not 12 inches of snow, but the roads were sloppy enough to give the FX a good challenge. Even after tempting it to break loose the car was very well behaved. Most of the gripes I read on these boars were correct. First, the seat warmers seem not to work. The seats get a little warm, but my friends Denali feels the the seat is on fire. Also, the placement of the windows and door lock buttons are a little out of the way. These are little things, and I'm just confirming that I agree with the rest of you about these minor things. The rest of the car is just perfect. I spent half the day in the garage just figuring out the gadgets. The intelligent key is pretty cool, and the navigation is a blast! Well, I just wanted to let you guys know, I think I made the right choice when choosing the FX. Thanks for all the advice
  • evlmikeevlmike Member Posts: 1
    Took delivery of my 2004 FX35 AWD in Black/Graphite (with Touring and Tech Packages, splash guards, roof rails, cargo liner) this past weekend and it's really awesome. My total price (before taxes, tags, and registration) was $39,900.

Has anyone looked into getting a cargo cover? If so, any information would be appreciated.
  • petew4petew4 Member Posts: 71
    congrats hombogero & evlmike.....welcome to a hoot of a driving experience. Especially you Hombo....you won't regret the 45 choice - but I'm not dissin the 35. Mike- do a search on the 'FX35/FX45' thread. There was a discussion of the cargo cover there & where to get it - it's available.
    Out driving in the snow tonight, and what a blast when there's not much traffic on the roads. With winter tires (Blizzaks) on and the AWD lock engaged, the FX45 is a real hoot. At stop lights it's a very simple matter pulling away from anything else out there, and around bends the RWD bias makes it so much fun to control traction and steer with the throttle...very safely if you don't overdo it! Can't do that with my wife's RX330, that's for sure.
  • peeetepeeete Member Posts: 136
    I have found this interesting, and Im curious what everyone thinks..

the 04 fx 35 awd with touring and the usual small add-ons (splash guards and that sort of stuff) invoices around $36,200 including the ad fee. I was offerred the vehicle for $36,500, which sounds pretty good.

However, I checked the inventory on Infiniti's web site for a 20 mile radius from this particualr dealer, and found over 250 2004 fx 35 awd's available! That sounds like a market flooded with product, and I have to wonder if these should be selling for less. "Prestige" or not, supply and demand still applies. I own a G35, and the experience has not always been "prestige" :) Im in NY btw.
    The flood you see is typical they held a lot of 04's in the pipeline while the 03's cleared out. The only 03's that went for back of invoice were fx45 premiums for the most part. I had a single dealer with 80 fx's in stock and wouldn't come close to a deal I got elsewhere. I think your deal is awesome and would take it. I don't think you are gonna come in under invoice. Similar to the G they may have stock but unlike infiniti of the pats they aren't going under invoice unless it is a M or Q.
  • toplessbansheetoplessbanshee Member Posts: 1
    I'm searching for a FX35 in Houston,

I got an offer of 35,700 for a plain 2004 FX35 rwd with premium package. Do you think it's a good deal? The thing is I called around and all the dealers seem to be pretty much around this figure. From what I read on these bulletin board, people have been getting a little better deal. The only dealer I dealt with on a face to face basis is Infiniti of North Houston and they was rather rude. Even if I get a deal at invoice, I don't think I would do business there. For those of you in the Houston area, can you recomend another Infiniti dealer or sales person in particular? Thx.
  • newtismenewtisme Member Posts: 10
    I don't read this board all that often and just saw your post. I purchased my FX45 at Marin Infiniti - all went smoothly. E-mail me for more info: [email protected].
    I bought my FX from Dallas. three of the dealers up there are top ten in the country. I bought from Grubbs Infiniti Through their GM amd internet sales manager. At least check them out on my car they were about 2k cheaper and 2k higher on the trade than anybody in houston. I get mine serviced at SW infiniti and they seem pretty good. Gave them a chance to match the offer I got from grubbs but they declined. I would recommend them if you do buy locally as they have always been very accomidating.
  • botz44botz44 Member Posts: 1
    Been lookin' around for about a month now and have settled on a 2004 FX 45 Black/Black with Prem and Tech packages...For those of you who lease..what kind of deal ($/ # months) did you get. I live in B'ham, AL. Thanks in advance.
  • huma2huma2 Member Posts: 24
    i am very interested in leasing a fx45. dealer had several 2003 in the lot offering abouy 7500 off. i am looking at about $40000 for one with the premium package 20in wheels roof bars and cargo mat, msrp is about 47,300. the lease woul;d be 39 month no money down with a payment of $599.00 per month. is it a bad idea to get a 2003, please let me know what you think thanks in advance
  • jgq1jgq1 Member Posts: 11
    I've searched on the Infiniti website the inventory of all the dealerships within 150 mile of where I live (MI) That includes Chicago and Detroit and I could not find the FX I want (FX35 AWD,Beryllium + sport + Tech + Chrome). It looks like I will have to custom order it from the manufacturer through the dealer. My question is that: Will it be reasonable to be firm on the price and ask for it to be at invoice? I read that when custom ordering, hold back is pure profit for the dealer. Also, I'm thinking of paying cash, will that be an advantage on the price? will I be able to get it for less than invoice? Is it wishful thinking? :)
  • shodorovshodorov Member Posts: 6
    What would be a fair price for an 03 leftover demo fx45 fully loaded with 5K miles? original msrp was 53K
    Since some brand-new 2003 FX45's are being had for about $10K off, a demo with 5K miles would be significantly cheaper.
    I would start them at about 40K and would not pay more than 42k for a demo. Ask terry in real world trade in as with 5k n miles it is really a used car.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Here's the link:

Real-World Trade-In Values

Steve, Host
    wow.... that guy oughta be getting a consulting fee. Good forum..never been on it before.