Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford F-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,824
    Hi koogs. You didn't mention which pickup you bought, but you will have much better luck getting a response from other owners on our Pickups board. Also, if you use the drop-down menus at the left under "browse by vehicle," you can locate all discussions about your pickup.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• micomarkmicomark Posts: 11
    Drymarsh - Buyers Beware! My advice is not to buy either unless you can first make sure the 2004 or 2005 F-150 does not have the vibration problems and drive train slack/knocking problem a lot of other 04 and 05 have experienced. Read the forum entitled F-150 problems with 1100 some respondents. About half the forum discussions are on this common problem. Many are seeking lemon law protection.
    I know I am. I had a 2002 F-150 4x4 super cab and to me it was a great truck.
    The F-150 super cab 4x4 Lariat I purchased in March is a total and I do mean total POS. It was made in the Virginia plant. The problem appears for the most part unsolvable and many have had their trucks drivetrain torn to shreds trying to trial and error a remedy. Well, not me. One engineer commented the frame has been made 9 time stiffer on the 04/04 platform and is resonating all drive train vibration to the cab. What can they do. Put your cab on a whole new frame and mechanicals. I would be real careful on the purchase you are considering.
  • dgh11dgh11 Posts: 2
    how can you tell build dates on the window sticker?
  • beechbeech Posts: 1
    I am looking at 2005 F150 RWD Lariat's and noticed a difference in the base price between two trucks. One is $32990 the other is $32610. There is also a $100 difference in the price of captains chairs on the stickers ($595 versus $695). Any idea why the prices are different? Are the vehicles exactly the same? Any concerns over the differences?
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    A reporter is interested in pickup buyers’ views on the Japanese offerings – both people who would definitely consider a vehicle like a Toyota Tundra, Nissan Titan or Honda Ridgeline as well as people who wouldn’t – and why or why not?

Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information and a few words summarizing your opinion no later than Wednesday, June 8, 2005.

Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
  • A lot of concern over 2004/5 f 150 vibration problems and the hard shifting gas mpg etc. is there any relief in 2006 . waiting for a responce and 2006. :confuse:
  • apowellapowell Posts: 8
    This message is for anyone looking for a great deal on the 2005 F-150. I paid only $10,788, just 2 weeks ago. These are really nice :) full size trucks with a small extended cab. My truck is manual and yes with air. I bought at Frisco Ford, Frisco Texas, taking advantage of their newspaper deal of only two at this price. I financed at 8.9 percent interest, but will refinance in a few months through my bank for a lower interest rate. I said "NO" to any and all after-market add-on's and "NO" to the finance department for anything they had to offer. - You know, you can get all of that stuff later if you really want it when you have time to shop around. I also did not have a trade-in and was able to put TT&L and a little down payment on my credit card. I have learned that selling yourself is much better than using a vehicle for a trade-in, you will get a lot more money and worry less about "getting taken" by the dealer.
  • apowellapowell Posts: 8
    This is just my opinion. I have bought three brand new trucks in the past 4 years. A Dodge, A Chevy and, most recently the Ford F-150. I only bought the Ford because I needed the extra space behind the seat and, because it was the only one on sale when I needed to buy. My last truck was a Chevy Silverado and by far the smoothest riding of them all. If I had a choice of all three with the same or close to the same price, I'd buy the Chevy. *
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Posts: 1,150
    I went to Ford.com last night to build an '06 F150 with the leather captains chairs, sport seats. Although I tried hard with various options ( including XLT, Lariat, King Ranch, various wheelbases, etc.) I just couldn't get the leather seat option to be available. What package do you have to buy to be able to select it? One would think that you could order leather in any XLT. (I had seen these seats on an F250 over the weekend and they were fantastic.)

I did see that on the F250 build to order program, you have to buy a sports package for $1200 or so composed of chrome tube step rails, monochrome front bumper, etc. to be eligible (?) to select the leather captains chairs for $700 or so.
  • yaqui316yaqui316 Posts: 7
    I've got a dealership in Georgetown, TX offering $10,000 off of MSRP for all Supercrews. That get's me a $40,000 4x2 King Ranch, w/moonroof, 3.73 limited slip, power rear window, trailer tow package and reverse sensing system..for $30,000 + ttl and fees. I know my XPlan is $34999, so it's 5k below that. I know there are some rebates out there, but they aren't offering anything but the 10k. Just curious.
    I think that the Ford F150 option packages as seen on Ford.com defy logic. For example, take the XL package. If you like the XL package but really feel that on a wide truck you should have power windows you can't get them. You rather have to step up three grand or so to an XLT. For the 3K upcharge you get basically the power windows and locks and a rug on the floor. Thats a lot of money for power windows.

Or, say you want leather sport seats. Well, OK, but you have to check off the "flare side box" first. However, maybe the buyer doesn't want the high school "look at me" flare side box but does want leather sport seats. Sorry. Maybe the buyer wants a full 8' box and leather. Sorry.

OK, say you want a Supercab to put some stuff inside and an 8' box. Hold it, big boy. That additional foot and a half of box (8' vs. 6.5') is going to cost you about 3K! Sure, about $1200 of that is in a payload package (extra coolers, etc.) but what do you get for the $1800 difference? Just 18" of box.

Here's the sweet spot. Having run some numbers I think that the sweet spot on the F150 option list is to order a STS version (same nose as the XLT but 2K less) which is about 1K more than an XL and get the 5.4 V8 for $895 extra. The rationale for the big engine besides being more fun is that you get a more robust tranny thrown in for the upcharge. Go with the 6.5 styleside bed unless you are 18 with an affluent father. Then, take the seats out to have leather put on them locally. (Bill Ford doesn't give you the choice.)

I think that young Bill is being a bit tricky with these options and it is costing him some sales. I for one resent having to spend 3K on power windows/locks when they really are a necessity these days in a full size cab. I feel that it is foolish not to let middle aged, company owners buy an F150 with leather sport seats/captains chairs without forcing them into a Flareside box.

YMMV
  • rjlaerorjlaero Posts: 659
    The discounts on the American trucks & SUV's is pretty incredible right now. My local dealer was advertising $9,000 off Lariet 4WD's. Another dealer was advertising 25% off every F150 in-stock.
  • menmyjpmenmyjp Posts: 19
    First let me thank all of those who post messages and replies...they have been extremely helpful to me in my search of a new truck. But, I need some help. I am looking at a 2005 STX 4x4 SC. I have the X-Plan and with rebates Im at $21,934.83 (MSRP $30,410) but, they say thats the non-negoitatble price due to Xplan...The truck is at a large volume dealer with over 50 trucks very similar on the lot. Do you think I could do better? Is it true that even though this truck has a build date of Jan and there are multiple simlar vechiles that I cant get lower than this becuase of X-Plan??? Thanks in advance, Im a young and first time buyer but weary. ANY advice would be greatly appreciated-
  • ike4ike4 Posts: 2
    A local dealer (there are many Ford dealers in my area) is quoting me a 2005 F350 Dually King Ranch which is loaded and stickers for 52,670 for 9,000 off of sticker plus Tax Tital and Freight (freight is 795 does that sound right?). I'd like to know if that price could be sweeter than it is. It's funny one dealership I talked to told me that they will not match the Chevrolet pricing, another told me they were the only ones participating, and yet a third told me that since they would have to go to another dealer to get the truck they were not coming down off of sticker very far.

Long story short what is the best price I can expect to pay?

and how much is frieght usually?
  • rjlaerorjlaero Posts: 659
    That's about 28% off sticker on your deal. Can't see it getting much better that that. I'd go ahead with it.
  • deminindeminin Posts: 214
    We've heard all the buzzwords....sticker price, invoice, dealer cost, etc., etc. Its all Baloney. When the dealers offers you a $3,000 rebate, and an extra $1000 cash back, then act like they are giving you the truck, its all an act.
    I have a son-in-law who is a contractor, and he recently built a new dealership for a local dealer. After the job was done, the dealer was so pleased with the work that he offered my son-in-law a new King Ranch at the dealers true cost. Are you Ready???? This King Ranch stickered a little above $43,000. The son-in-law wrote out a check for slightly over $27,000!!! Folks, that's a $16,000 mark up! Yup, Detroit and its dealers are crying all the way to the bank on these big pickups and SUV's.
  • eric102eric102 Posts: 122
    My local dealer is advertising $50,000 MSRP F350 dually diesel's at 9500 off the MSRP plus another 3000 off for the Ford rebates, plus another 3000 off in other misc. rebates if you qualify for them. Shipping is 850.
  • ike4ike4 Posts: 2
    I'm interested in speaking with your dealer! What is his name/number.
    They are relatively quick to give me the 9k off of sticker but thats about it. If I could get the cost of the truck into 30's I'd be very pleased!

Thanks.
    Gentlemen, I'd love to know what you intend to do with a "Dually King Ranch"? Does it have any purpose other than parading you around in the biggest pickup truck in the county? A dually diesel King Ranch as a personal vehicle isn't a real smart idea and it may tell other people a lot more about yourself than you think.

Come one, if you really have to haul that much cargo around get a used (it will come with the bed pre-dented, saving you the trouble) F350 rack body with a gas engine (you can buy THREE replacement gas engines for the upcharge to buy a Ford with a PowerStroke) AND a new F150 XLT. Or just call a common carrier like Roadway (with deregulation, the rates have gone way, way down) and buy something nice to go to work in. Like maybe a used Porsche Boxter for 25K.
  • eric102eric102 Posts: 122
    Marysville Ford in Marysville Wa., I don't have the phone # handy but you should be able to find it with a search. This was their advertised price for 3 vin. #'s in my local paper, I haven't talked to the dealer yet since I won't be buying until the end of summer.