Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pricing my used vehicle for private sale

1192021222325»

Comments

• igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Waleska, GeorgiaPosts: 791
    I just looked through the Carfax on my Accord again, the listing for the accident only lists it as a moderate (not severe) accident with damage to the front.

Just out of curiosity, did any airbags deploy in the accident?

As I mentioned in original my posting, the driver's side airbag deployed in my wreck. The first page of the Carfax report shows a yellow triangle with an exclamation point (warning) in two spots- one that notes "airbag deployed" and the other "accident/damage reported". Then a note on the 'Vehicle Highlights' summary page notes-

"Airbag deployment and accident reported on this vehicle. Please see the full CARFAX Vehicle History Report for more details."

The detailed entry for the wreck notes- Accident reported, Involved Rear Impact, Vehicle Towed, Airbag Deployed.

It doesn't specify the severity (minor, moderate, severe, etc.) of the damage, but seeing the 'airbag deployed' notation implies moderate to severe, unfortunately. The AutoCheck report (Experian's Carfax competitor) just shows "Accident Reported" on the date of the wreck and that's it. They don't note airbag deployment or the severity of the accident...which I kinda prefer, at least a seller.

As I've mentioned, I couldn't sell it in good conscience without full disclosure of the car's damage and repair history. But the Carfax details probably would scare away a lot of potential buyers that might buy it if they saw the repairs and condition first hand, then learned about the extent of repairs.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,629
    there was a lot of discussion on one of the threads not long ago about requirements for disclosure when selling a car. And there seems to be quite a difference between legal and moral in this case!

the other common theme seemed to be treating a private sale differently than a trade in. Just about everyone felt you should disclose up front on a private sale, but it was less clear on a trade. many folks felt that it was up to the pros at the dealer to evaluate the car, check carfax, etc. And if they wanted to ask a direct question, you should answer it, but if they didn't ask, not need to offer up the info!

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

• The air bags did not deploy, though I still don't understand why not considering the force of the impact in the rear that pushed us like 10 feet in to the car in front of us and damaged the front.

It looks to me that the police officer did not enter much detail on the report. The accident should have been sever since the car was not drivable and was towed away.
  • Thanks everybody!!! I had another mechanic look at it and he fixed it for $750. Parts only cost an additional $400.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Waleska, GeorgiaPosts: 791
    "The air bags did not deploy, though I still don't understand why not considering the force of the impact in the rear that pushed us like 10 feet in to the car in front of us and damaged the front.

It looks to me that the police officer did not enter much detail on the report. The accident should have been sever since the car was not drivable and was towed away."

Somehow I didn't catch this message until now! Sorry it took me a month to respond...

Airbag deployment (or lack thereof) often doesn't seem to make sense, especially when to the driver who felt the impact. All you remember is how it how hard it felt when you were hit from behind AND immediately slammed into the car ahead of you! The airbag control unit monitors a number of factors (such as deceleration 'g' forces and even how hard the brakes are being applied, for example). A direct hit close enough to the front impact sensor(s) can also trigger deployment, even if the control unit doesn't sense any of the other triggers.

Back in 1997, I had a one-car accident in my '96 Accord EX. I was foolish enough to get behind the wheel even though I could hardly keep my eyes open (after working a 16-hour shift). I nodded off about 200-300 yards before a STOP sign where the road ended into a highway at a T-intersection. I remember waking up in time to see a glimpse of the STOP sign as I drove across the two lane highway and jumped the ditch (doing about 50mph)! I went down a slope that ran for a few hundred feet, then the slope went back uphill at a much steeper grade/angle. When the lower part of the front bumper and the bottom of the front sub-frame hit that steep uphill slope, both airbags deployed as I came to a dead stop!

That was before "smart" airbags, so when the driver's side deployed the passenger side did also, whether there was a passenger or not. Amazingly, I didn't have a scratch on me when I got out of the car! When the tow truck pulled the car's nose out of the embankment, I was very surprised that it didn't look nearly as bad as I expected. The bumper cover was mangled and bumper pushed back about two inches in toward the engine (it looked like the hood had a two-inch overbite). One headlight was smashed as was the fender on that side. The hood had barely started to buckle in the middle and the windshield was shattered from the passenger airbag hitting it. But it didn't "look" too bad, much better than I was expecting.

I had it towed to the Honda dealership that I had always used and the Progressive adjuster estimated the repairs the following day. The estimate was for $7200 and the two airbags were a significant amount of the total. The guy at the Honda body shop told me that there would more damage found as they tore it down and they'd have to get Progressive to approve every additional item beyond the original estimate. It took almost six weeks to get the car back and the final repair bill ended up at $14,281!!! The car should definitely have been totaled, especially when it was discovered that the engine had been pushed into the firewall! But I didn't have a choice in the matter and I drove the car another 2.5yrs and 85k miles without a single issue related to the repairs....

Back in July (2010), my 2006 Mazda3 s 5-door was rear-ended while stopped behind other vehicles at a red light. The hit was hard enough to knock me into the BMW X5 SUV stopped about 15 feet ahead of me, at which time the driver's side airbag deployed. I also learned that the seat belt pretensioner "fires" milliseconds before the airbag deploys in my particular car. It pulls the driver's upper body VERY firmly against the seatback and headrest to minimize contact with the airbag and steering wheel, not to mention the dash.

I was amazed that only obvious body damage were the front and rear bumpers, which were mangled and torn, and the upper grille (which is attached to the front edge of the hood) was broken. The front and rear bumper assemblies, upper grille (between headlights) and radiator core support were the only body/structural parts that head to be replaced. There wasn't a single scratch on any sheet metal and the front headlights and fog lights weren't even broken! The total repair bill ended up at $7800 and replacement of all airbag and seatbelt components were just over $4100 of that amount! Everyone from the tow truck driver to the body shop manager were surprised that the airbag deployed but the the hood, front fenders and headlights weren't damaged, just the bumper and grille.

The mystery was solved when the body shop started taking the front-end apart. The trailer hitch on the SUV in front of me hit the front impact sensor dead-on which is the only reason the airbag popped! On the positive side, had the trailer hitch not been there to stop my car dead in its tracks, the front of my car would have slid under the SUV and crushed everything forward of the firewall!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,430
    what are the details? Was it a head gasket? If so, that's a pretty reasonable price.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

This discussion has been closed.