Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW brand experience - good or bad?

1222324252628»

Comments

• nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,695
    Same as in the post I was responding to: a '95 Jetta. Red. 4-cylinder engine. Had a stereo that was great by the standards of the day for cars in its class. One of the few things that kept working until the end.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• mcribbmcribb Posts: 20
    It is expensive. My ex-wife has a new jetta. She must take it in for all posted maintance to keep the warranty. Everytime she goes it is 400 or more dollars. I would pass on a VW.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    I don't know what they are supposedly doing to have it be over $400 every time. We have had our for over 4 years and have spent a total of $633 on all maintenance in that time.

Anyway, if you buy now they have free maintenance included for the first 3 years or 36K mi.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    Have you read the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act which comes with every new car?

It essentually says that you do not have to take to dealership for routine maintenance to keep the warantee intact. Anyone who pays $400 every time DESERVES to pay that much by not taking the time to understand their Federal rights under the law.

READ all the 'paperwork' which comes with your car... be 'in the know' so you do not have to pay thru the nose.

At the very least... dont use ignorance of the law as an excuse to NOT purchase a particular brand of automobile.

HOWEVER: I would agree that some dealerships are CROOKS... that can happen with any brand of car.... not just VW.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 29,175
    Your dealer is ripping you off. My Oil changes on the Passat TDI are less than Toyota charges for my 07 Sequoia. VW uses synthetic Toyota dino oil. Toyota wanted $75 more for synthetic.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    It's interesting....VWs have a cult following, mostly with young girls, but other too. Most people I know have had one, but rarely more than one. Some only buy one because it has a diesel option, rare in America. I get requests for them fairly often. If they are out of warranty, I will not buy one for a customer because the dissatisfaction rate is so high, and I've had to take too many back. Personally, I do not get the big whoop about them. They are not attractive inside to me, they offer nothing over an Asian car, they are very high maintenance, and the older they get, the more expensive they are to keep. Hence, I think, the popularity with the young gals, who are rarely savvy about cars, and the Jetta, in particular, is just a cool chick car to have. There are exceptions to what I say, of course, but in general, this is my experience with the brand.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 34,342
    I have to wonder how VW got the "chick" market, is it residual sentiment from the old "(something) basket" Cabrios? There's nothing especially girly about a Golf or Jetta on paper, but they do attract a demographic aside from diesel-heads.
    Exactly. "First cars for rich high school co-eds" are often Jettas. It probably breeds from parking lots full of them. Their second car, undoubtedly, will be a 3 series.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 34,342
    A leased base model 328i auto if they are on their own, a 335 or M3 Cabrio if they found a fool to marry. Then when they have some income insurance/devilspawn spoiled children, X5 here we come.
    Lol! So true!
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,976
    "But now Volkswagen managers here and in Germany, too, are taking a fresh interest in the mass of data and customer feedback available in the United States — from the exhaustive Consumer Reports and other surveys, to warranty data.

Warranty costs, for instance, have fallen every year since 2005, VW says."

VW eyes expansion, lets customers have their say (Detroit News)

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.