Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protege5 vs. Matrix XRS vs. 2.5TS Impreza vs. PT Cruiser (hatch/wagon)

Comments

• dont know if he likes the looks as much...he wants something that looks and feels somewhat sporty, but has some cargo space as well...

now he indicated he really likes the mazda6 or other midsize sedan instead of a hatchback...men! cant make up their minds! ;-)

we'll see though, out of the hatchbacks listed, i like the protege5 looks wise the best...we have yet to testdrive anything else so we'll have to do that in the coming weeks.
  • dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    Why would someone pay $3000 for one?

To get AWD? Not worth $1000 IMO - put 4 winter tires on a car and save $500. Too much weight on the chunky Forester.

Handles worse than a P5 and is a wagon/minivan. not a car.

Dinu
    Weight is the enemy :)
  • icvciicvci Posts: 1,031
    No zoom zoom there. The P5 will leave it in the dust in the twisties.
  • irnmdnirnmdn Posts: 240
    "No zoom zoom there."
    Think again, forrester out acclerates P5.
    ". The P5 will leave it in the dust in the twisties." and stranded when it snows thanks to low ground clearance and 2WD.
    "Why would someone pay $3000 for one?
    To get AWD? Not worth $1000 IMO - put 4 winter tires on a car and save $500. Too much weight on the chunky Forester."

True Cost to Own for 5 years
    P5 $27,060
    Forester $27,685

for $125/YEAR you get all the advantages over P5 I mentioned in post #21

"Weight is the enemy :)"
    Depreciation is Mazda's worst enemy:))
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Posts: 1,007
    Depreciation is Mazda's worst enemy:))

... for that nugget of wisdom. However, if you own your car for a non-financially-stupid period of time, depreciation is moot. Lower purchase costs win out or at least even things out.

Also, shame on you for recommending a hunking SUV to someone sensibly considering a wagon instead :)
  • i'd hardly call the forester a hunkering SUV...

recommend an H2 and i'd have to smack ya for it!

but all of that aside, i dont think the forester has the "sportiness" that my fiance is looking for...he's used to driving my spec V, and now thinks that every car we own has to perform like that...while it would be nice, its hard to find a compact wagon that performs like a spec V...at least in our price range (under $20K preferrably)

if only the P5 had a little more HP and torque, he'd be completely sold!

-thene
    Think again, forrester out acclerates P5.

Yea...get to 60 then what? When we get into the twisties, I'll leave the Forester looking for an off-road short cut to catch up.

Here is another comparo for ya -

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=15&article- _id=2338&page_number=1
    I was recommending Forester not as SUV but as (slightly tall) wagon since most people find Impreza TS (and P5) too small for any utility.
    "I was recommending Forester not as SUV but as (slightly tall) wagon since most people find Impreza TS (and P5) too small for any utility."

And we thought you were recommending a truck over a car...

Dinu
    most people find Impreza TS (and P5) too small for any utility.

Who's most people? I took a 6 cu. ft. contractor wheel barrow, Scotts rotary fertilizer spreader, hedge trimmers, extension cords, 2-15 pound containers of Preen, a backpack blower, 5 gallon tank of gas, two rakes and a bunch of old sheets to my grandmothers home last weekend in the P5. (All fit nicely behind the front seats.)
    "Think again, forrester out acclerates P5.

Yea...get to 60 then what? When we get into the twisties, I'll leave the Forester looking for an off-road short cut to catch up. "

I mentioned forester's accleration because previous poster complained forester has no Zoom Zoom. Thanks for clarifying that P5's Zoom Zoom is strictly limted to twisties only.
  • boggseboggse Posts: 1,048
    Utility can be hard to define. My wife and I can get everything we used to carry in our Jeep Cherokee in our P5 without too much effort. (At least when we still had the spare tire inside the Cherokee.) The fact is that the P5 has just as much useful space as the Cherokee did, even though it is a smaller total cargo space. If you pack well, then the P5 should have plenty of cargo room.
    I mentioned forester's accleration because previous poster complained forester has no Zoom Zoom.

I was that poster.

Thanks for clarifying that P5's Zoom Zoom is limted only to twisties.

Guess you still think 0-60 is "driving fun". Just about every review I've ever read gushes over the P5's fun-to-drive factor. Then again, I wouldn't expect a guy recommending a Forester on a sport wagon thread to get it.
    Impressive!!!

Even though the trunk looks to be smaller than the sedan's, once the seats are folded one can fit A LOT of stuff in the P5. A HB/wagon body style is more functional than a sedan, but since we're talking HB/wagons here, I'll keep the $ spent on AWD and still have a good-looking reliable car in the P5. Oh and I'll have fun doing it too :)

Dinu
    "Then again, I wouldn't expect a guy recommending a Forester on a sport wagon thread to get it."

IMO, Forester if far more sporty than PT which happens to be in the title of this thread.
    Did you know Forester XT humiliates Porsche Boxster in 0-60. I guess that is plenty to catch up for few seconds lost at the twisties.

PS: 0-30 XT is faster than Ferrari Enzo; now that is real Zoom Zoom.
    Hypothetically-speaking, even IF an Escalade on 20" chrome rims would be supped-up and would do 0-60 in 4.9secs it would still not be sporty any way you slice it.

0-60 is just ONE measure of performance. Braking, cornering (g-forces), steering feel, road-holding are others.

Yes the Forester goes faster than a Boxster, but it's still a TALL wagon with a not too friendly centre of gravity.

Dinu
    I did have to take the wheel off the barrow though. I probably could have made it fit but, I like the headliner clean.

I've fit so many things in my hatches over the years. Their utility is generally much greater than most would expect. (Me included.)

I'm not going to argue the merit of AWD. It would be nice in the snow. Though, I've never had it and seem to still be doing just fine.
    "I'm not going to argue the merit of AWD. It would be nice in the snow. Though, I've never had it and seem to still be doing just fine."

I once got stuck in snow and that was b/c I attempted to park an 89 Tercel HB in a parking lot with over 1' of snow :) Stupid me, who knew it wasn't a Land Cruiser?

But I had no probs with a 93 Civic HB and the 01 Protege.

Dinu
  • how much would that go for $$$-wise?
This discussion has been closed.