Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protege5 vs. Matrix XRS vs. 2.5TS Impreza vs. PT Cruiser (hatch/wagon)

1235»

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Congrats! :o)

-juice
  • icvciicvci Posts: 1,031
    Why'd you go with the Matrix over the Vibe? Just curious. Around here the Vibe is a much better deal money-wise.
  • capitanocapitano Posts: 509
    Combination of things. Styling mostly. Neither car is available in my market. If the GT had been available here I might have been swayed. But since I had to travel to get either one, I let my preference for the Matrix styling be the deciding factor.

Also, from reading here and on some enthusiast forums, it appears that Toyota was doing a little better with fixing some problems in the early 2003s. One thing that comes to mind is the twilight sensor on the dash that was causing problems with DRLs and headlights.

There is also my bias against GM. We've owned a few GM products that have been dogs and I am leery of their products. While I understand that the Vibe and Matrix are practically identical where it counts, my bias tells me that the Vibe is a rebadged Toyota and not vice versa. Same as with the old Prizm and Corolla. This is apparently a fairly common bias as the Vibe is rated much lower in resale value.
  • icvciicvci Posts: 1,031
    I think the Vibe's hit in resale can be attributed to the incentives being offered on it not consumer preference.

I considered the Vibe but, there wasn't a 5 speed available in my area. So that sealed it for the P5. I was sold on the utility of the Vibe, not it's driving characteristics. I liked the stereo in the Vibe/Matrix much better than that in the P5. Bottom line, I'm glad I ended up with the P5, it's a pretty fun car.

What color did you get?
  • capitanocapitano Posts: 509
    I got the cosmic blue. I would have been Ok with red, or indigo ink as well. If truly desperate I would have even accepted "ticket me" yellow.

I went and looked at P5s on the Sunday before I made my deal. It is an attractive car. I like the interior it has better than the vibe/trix one. If I had driven one, I might have bought one.

Before this acquisition I had deluded myself into thinking I was a supremely rational buyer. Read all the reviews. Research them to death and make a selection. I bought my first two new vehicles that way.

Since my process was so drawn out and yet compressed it was very odd.

I was determined to get a new car when we moved back to the states 2 years ago. Finances simply would not allow it. I wanted an RSX type S. A trip to my parent's house showed me that I couldn't justify a coupe when we could barely fit in our civic.

I started looking at the Altima. Then the Matrix came out. I went to test drive the matrix in both XR 5speed and XRS 6 speed models. No dice. All the dealer had was base and XR autos. I drove the Altima SE. I liked the power and the handling, but the interior was lacking.

I started looking at the P5 as a surrogate Matrix, because at least it was really available as a 5 speed locally. Then the 6 came out and I was very interested. If the 6 wagon was out now, I would have given it a very close look.

I had still planned on testing the P5 and the 6, but when my 12-year old car gave out on me, I needed to get something quick. For a while it looked like the XRS wasn't even going to be available in my region at all. So the P5 was looking like a shoe in for a bit.
1235»
This discussion has been closed.