Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda RX-8 Owners - Meet the Members

2»

Comments

• yellowrx8yellowrx8 Member Posts: 18
    Got yellow too. Very eye catching. You have to be a slight extrovert to want this color. Gets tons of compliments. I never owned a car like this before (non sports car, dull colors). Feels good to get the comments.
  • antib0b77antib0b77 Member Posts: 5
    i just got the car yesterday.... from yesterday to now which is 6:54pm ivr already put 300 miles on it i just cant get enough of driving it it soooo smooth, the handleing is awesome... i havent really even seen what she can do yet. i still have to break it in. but i can feel that it just screaming... "Drive me dammit now!!!!" its a great car. And i'm sorry for the people who've had a bvad experience with it...
  • masterchiefmasterchief Member Posts: 10
    just like the title says, I just signed up, and I'm looking to buy an RX - 8, I have some questions.

1. is the Manual transmission really worth the extra HP?
    2. I'm going to be getting a body kit and wing, should i even get one with a spoiler or any of the other extras for the exterior?
    any help would be greatly appreciated :)
  • dadeckdadeck Member Posts: 2
    Picked up my '05 RX8/MT/GT w'spoiler today. Titanium gray w' black interior. I might be in love for the second time in my life (wife is still #1). This car is absolutely the definition of fun! Looking forward to sharing with my fellow 8 owners...

P.S. I am forty-something and, yes, my wife says this is midlife crisis...so? ;)
  • secondcitysecondcity Member Posts: 28
    Like so many other owners have mentioned--The Rx8's mpg really improves after the first oil change. I just had my 5000 mile service done (4300 miles so far).

Mazda's service book suggested oil changes every 5000--but I am taking the service techs advice to get the oil changed every 3000.

I was talking to another rx8 owner at the dealer and he said he started hitting close to Mazda's claim of 18/24 mpg after about 9000 miles.

I could care less about these figures because I bought it for the performance and handling!

Thank you to the people on this board for their winter tire advice. I purchased 4 blizzaks for under $800 and I will have them put on in Nov.
  • flipper897flipper897 Member Posts: 10
    I bought a new Velocity Red RX-8 in late June, 6-speed manual, navigation system and I love it. I live in the Phoenix area & don't want to use the car to commute so I still have under 400 miles on it. With our traffic problems I use my Lexus on weekdays.

I love the look of the car, both inside & out - it looks like nothing else. No problems with clutch noise or anything else for that matter. I am curious to see how the gas mileage will be - we're driving to Las Vegas right after Labor Day, I can't wait.

I have owned 3 RX-7s over the years (1979, 1983 & 1986) & I loved them all - the RX-8 seems more pure sports car than ever, I didn't think it was possible. I briefly considered the 350Z but the styling didn't grab me, it looks "unfinished".

If anyone is interested, the September 2005 issue of Car & Driver magazine has a longterm text of the RX-8 (2004 model, 40K miles). They praised the car for its power, handling & styling - but they weren't happy with the oil consumption and gas mileage - they got 19 mpg. Then again, C & D testers are notorious for being leadfoots, so I'll judge for myself - the EPA claims 25 mpg on the highway & the salespeople at the dealership say the car will beat that easily.
  • zinny72zinny72 Member Posts: 4
    I have a yellow rx8 as well. I was looking for a red one, but the yellow caught my eye and I fell in love with it. I am just beginning to see rx8's in my area, but have not seen another yellow one yet. Is it true they are not making them in that shade of yellow anymore?
  • yellowrx8yellowrx8 Member Posts: 18
    I have yellow too. No more yellows being made
  • lhesslhess Member Posts: 379
    and I was hoping they would not bring it back for 06 and they didn't. I love mine. My dealer only got and sold 2 yellows, so it's pretty exclusive around here. I'm curious to know how many yellow ones they did make. anyone know where to find that?
  • secrtsqurlsecrtsqurl Member Posts: 3
    I am new to this forum and have a few questions. How large is the gas tank on the RX8, and when does the gas idiot light come on?
    15.9 gallon gas tank according to the mazda promo booklet.
  • secrtsqurlsecrtsqurl Member Posts: 3
    15.9 huh? I looked in the manual and could not find it so thanks. I have a 2004 GT with a Racing Beat exhaust and in-take. I have 14000 miles on it and the gas mileage has always hovered around 14 mpg in the city. I filled it today when the light came on and it took 13.1 gallons. I always thought that it came on when I had a gallon left in the tank and had 14 miles to find a gas station. Nice to know that I actually had 3 times that (if confirmed). Thanks......
  • aj3aj3 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the reply. I have not vistedthe site 4 awhile. I have just my first service.How are you doing with your car. Love to hear some news from you. I have AT also.
    Aj
  • manofmoonmanofmoon Member Posts: 1
    Hi All,
    I have a 2005 Shinka 6speed that I bought in August, are there any mod chips that work for RX8s? I see some on EBay that increase 25HP. Any experiences or cautions? Does Mazda sell any?
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    You can't add a mod. chip to the RX-8 as there is no socketed chip in the computer. The only thing you can do is use a "piggyback" computer, such as a Greddy "e-Manage". It fools the stock computer into changing the air/fuel ratio and the spark timing. Installation requires some technical knowledge and then you have to learn to tune the car. We have seen around 25 HP increases in "street tune" and up to 50 HP with race fuel. This is not legal however for a car driven on the street and it will destroy the stock cat.

Mazda doesn't sell any HP increasing devices. If they had any they would put them on the stock car, as HP increases is one of their chief aims for the car, as it already handles so well and increased HP is the main thing their customers want.
  • ronrutrx8ronrutrx8 Member Posts: 3
    Bought today! '05, Nordic Green, 6 speed, sport package, spoiler, appearance pkg, rotary accent pkg. Also did the full extended warranty. Only problem is it rubs the curb when backing out of the driveway, but not when going in...

Oh, and the dealer has the "new" sparkplugs to combat the cold start (restart) problem some have had. Starting Monday.

--Ron
  • cutnorx8cutnorx8 Member Posts: 1
    my name is Tammy I am a new owner of the Mazda rx-8 I have had it a little over a month It's yellow fully loaded except the navigation I really wanted a navigation but wanted the car even more I luv it it was a great choice as having a toy for my husband and I.
  • currpinkcurrpink Member Posts: 1
    I have had my RX8 - silver, metalic, loaded including GPS system. Loved it until last fall.
    Have had a new engine, 2 catalytic converters, Computer engine control module, crank sensor, starter, tires and battery.
    The dealership service department is awesome. But.... starting to trust the reliability of my car.
    with Rex. I'm still in love. His Lightning yellow exterior still sets my heart to racing!!

Hey, this is going way better than my marriage was at 1-year!!!
  • slb1slb1 Member Posts: 3
    Hey everyone!

Just bought a new 05 RX-8 6speed, silver on last Saturday. after losing my 99 Millenia S to a flood last month. I've owned three Mazda's and by far the 8 is the cream of the crop
  • rx8bearrx8bear Member Posts: 6
    Welcome to the RX club! I wanted an RX since 1979 and finally fulfilled my dream last October.
    The good news is that the car will continue to grow on you the longer you own it!

:shades:
  • murfbearmurfbear Member Posts: 17
    Hello. I Just bought and is now being detailed overnight at the dealership a 2006 copper red Shinka RX-8, there is supposed to have only been 2150 of these gems made. I have to say I am so impressed with the little I have driven this car. Any advice for a new rotary engine car owner? Like Idle warm up or shut off?
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    Like any car, don't use lots of power (hard accelleration) until the car is warmed up (temp needle is off the cold peg). No need to let it idle until warm - that would be expensive anyway. Do not shut off until the engine is warming up - again, temp needle is off the cold peg. We like to rev. to 3000 RPM and turn off the key letting the engine coast down to 0 RPM just to be sure most fuel is out of the engine when it's not running. Just a little insurance against flooding.
  • trispectrispec Member Posts: 305
    I like the rev to 3000 alot! Probably not required with a warm engine, but it sure is fun! I go the extra step of doing the rev to 3000 for 10 seconds, then let off the gas, then 1-2 seconds later cut the ignition. This procedure is over kill I know, but it seems to produce the following effects:

1) The 1-2 seconds before ignition cut insures that the spark plugs keep burning gas.

2) The 1-2 seconds insures that the rotors are still spinning to pump gas out even after gas stops flowing.

3) When I go to start the engine next time, it seems much smoother, like turning on an electric engine almost.

4) It's a lot of fun!, Oh I said that.
  • ryan031581ryan031581 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, new member here. Just bought an 06 RX8 AT. Black with the sports package. Got it at msrp 26,995. I do not physically have the car yet, but I test drove it and it was everything I imagined and more. I had to break fast once, cause some idiot pulled out in front of me. I got up to 85mph on the interstate in no time at all and hit around a 120 degree curve down around 75mph. The salesman who was in the passenger seat said I can see what its got. I was a little nervous at first, since it was the first sports car I had ever driven. It is definately the car I was looking for.

I am new to the enthusiast world, as my last vehicle was a Nissan Frontier. I will definately be in these forums a lot with maintenance questions. I could not decide whether to go fuel economy with the Civic EX, or go all out with a great handling sports car with a little power. I test drove an EX, and it was just too whimpy. No bash on Honda though, cause the SI is awesome.

I live in a small town where mostly the sports cars around are mustangs, camaro's and firebirds. I have seen one red 05 rx 8. This car will definately be turning heads. I am going to add the high wing spoiler soon.

later
  • deaundeaun Member Posts: 6
    I lurked the lots for two years...drooling, fingers itching...sad, really. I owned a Miata for several years, and put 317,000 miles on her without any problems (regular maintence).

So I bought a 2005 at the end of January, 2006, to be exact:
    Titanium grey with GT package
    All the goodies--except strikes--couldn't justify the cost vs. desire.

Started with a sticker price of $32,165, subtracted downpayment of $5000, husband's job knocked off another $1500, and Mazda absorbed an additional $1000. After a little more dickering, I ended up paying only $21,163.13. Not bad--had a lot of fun marketing!

I drive about 3000 miles a month just to work-and-back, so really rake up the miles--and only had one problem when my husband didn't warm her up to move her...guess you know what happened there?

Love love LOVE my RX8!

Thought about another Miata, except...knew I'd never be satisfied with anything less than the 8.

Oh, btw, am 39, married with four kids (youngest is 18) and 5 3/4 grandbabies.

Favorite movie quote: "let's face it girls: I'm older and have better insurance." :shades:

deaun
    Good to hear from another female 8 enthusiast. I'm 37 (38 in March), no husband and no kids.

Enjoy your car. I can be having a bad day and a hard drive in the 8 really makes things better.

I'm the flip side of you, can walk to work, and have only 10,500 miles on an 04 purchased in March 05. Actually wish I had the opportunity to drive it more!!

Happy New Year!!
  • nergal_lvnergal_lv Member Posts: 17
    I hope you enjoy it as much as I have mine. Purchased a Galaxy gray 06 Shinka in October 06, and so far has been the perfect vehicle. Granted, it does have it's "quirks" (warm up, oil consumption & not-so-good mileage), but then again so has every car I have owned (BMW to Subaru). I think this vehicle has been "as close to perfect for my needs". Can fit 2 car seats and one wife, or me, myself & I!! Can't tell you how much people admire it. I hear it at work almost everyday, "how nice of vehicle it is." The fact that we can get them for about 7k off helps offset "their quirks". Also, I am the only one in town who has one. Glad I did not get the Mustang, it does not stand out as well.
    I can beat that!! I had the oh so sexy Pontiac Phoenix with more rust than paint!
    Nergal
  • blueskymike79blueskymike79 Member Posts: 1
    Hey everybody!
    I got 04 8 in June of 06. Only had 17k miles on it. Guy that had it, had to give it up due to a medical problem with his foot. :( Bad for him, great for me! I hear he is a doctor in Ohio. If your on here doc, thank you so much for such an amazing flawless car (except one little tiny ding in the vinyl of the driver side door) Love it. What an upgrade from an old 95 Nissan 200sx coupe. Already done things in the 8 that would have got me flipped and or wrapped around a pole/tree or killed in the 200sx! Can't wait to put my "real" tires back on this spring.
    Mike :)
    Hey blueskymike, I hope you enjoy it as much as I have mine. It is definitely a unique car to drive & have. Where in OH do you live? I graduated from BGSU.
    Nergal
  • 4_my_84_my_8 Member Posts: 10
    my name is Joe and i just married a gorgeous, brilliant black 2004 machine that i fell in love with the first day i drove her. i consider myself a driver and this is a driver's machine. (i feel it's a slight disrespect to refer to the "8" as simply a car) the high points of my day are the commutes to and from work. i live in jacksonville, fl and i'm really hoping to find a local rx8 club to join. hell if i don't find one i'm gonna start my own. my machine has inspired me to be great at everything that i do. (yes... it's got those types of capabilities) i researched my purchase for about a month and i've been very pleased with her so far. i love the forum, you guys provide some very helpful information. the only problem i've had so far is driver side mirror rattle which seems to be a common problem. i'll have the guys at mazda take a look when i take her in for the 1st oil change.

4_my_8
  • rx8bearrx8bear Member Posts: 6
    My baby is a 2005,titanium gray which I got in October of 2005. The car definitely sets the standard for sports cars under $50,000: awesome piece of engineering and a sheer joy to drive! ;)
  • 4_my_84_my_8 Member Posts: 10
    it is definately an awesome piece of engineering. it's funny because i stopped at the car lot to look at the G35. i had never considered the RX8 until i found the G35 was out of my price range and the salesman suggested i take the "8" for a spin. it's been a love affair every since.
  • dee3dee3 Member Posts: 2
    Hi there,
    I'm a young 47 and just bought my third RX yesterday. I still have my 1990 RX7 which was a 30th bday present that I bought on a whim. I just can't seem to part with that car which has gotten me home even in a major Colorado snowstorm! Anyway, I was having some mechanical issues w/my 04 RX8 so traded it for the 06 Shinka model, not that I needed the xtras, but that was the only 06 the dealership had (the warranty on the 07's changed to 3 yrs instead of 4). I'm excited and hope to have better luck with this one. It's gray like the last one and drives real nice. I like the 6-disc CD, the keyless entry is cool, and it's great having nice rims again since I kind of tore up the other ones :) Still justifying paying the $11k difference but hey, it's a NICE car!
  • jazzstarvedjazzstarved Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a brand-new 2007 stormy blue mica, manual, sport, w/ spoiler. This car is so beautiful (I think I got a great deal) -- so glad I've read these boards religiously, I know exactly what to expect and how to take care of my new baby!
  • dukeraouldukeraoul Member Posts: 2
    26, up in Montreal, In A Relationship with a great college girl and an RX-8. Both take all my paycheck every 2 weeks :) :P
  • gtimsgtims Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2005 mazda rx8. I have a generic owners manual. it does not tell me if it is a coupe or sport. How can I tell?
  • fantasmafantasma Member Posts: 1
    I bought a rx8 a little over a year a go. i like to find and meet other rx8 owners in my area. my location is sarasota, fl. I been looking for a mazda club or rx8 club and i had no luck. so i been thinking of maybe starting one with help of other mazda owners.
This discussion has been closed.