Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda RX-8 Problems and Solutions

Comments

• The service manager probably told you about this issue when you took delivery.You probably were too anxious to drive your new ride and didn't wait for that part.
  • What are you doing driving your 8 in the snow?Buy a $1000 junk for the winter.
  • Just picked up a 2004 RX8 GT black w/ black and Tan leather .... love it . How has the reliability been lately.
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Posts: 1,583
    solution: get snow tires!

I learned this the hard way, somehow I got out of the mess with the car in one piece, but I will be ordering my winter tires soon!
  • I think I had the same problem you had. I live near Philadelphia and this past weekend we had a foot of snow. After uncovering my RX-8 i tried to start it and it would not turn over. It took me almost 15 minutes of trying till the car barely turned over and started. The temperature at this time was around 10 degrees. I was wondering if this was the same as your problem and did anyone else have the same occurance.
  • I have had a problem with my car since the first time I drove it. When I use the ventilation system, not the a/c, either recirculate or outside air, the air temp is 90 degrees or more no matter what the temp is outside. I told the service dept. and they told me this was a known problem and Mazda was trying to develop a heat shield so the console and cup holder wouldn't get so hot and the air coming in wouldn't be in contact with the engine. They also said this is common in sports cars. It's been five months and they haven't done anything. I am dreading the spring and summer as it is unbearable when it's hot. Using the a/c helps a little but not much and I don't like using it when it's only 60-70 degrees. I saw the TSB about the a/c fix but I haven't seen anything about my particular problem, nor have I found any similar complaints on any of the forums. Does anyone have a similar problem? If not, any advice as to what to do?
  • mac8mac8 Posts: 3
    LM-22 Blizzaks. Be ready to drop 1100 and they are difficult to find this late in the season.
    They have replaced my engine 3 freakin times! Once at 700 miles, then around 2000 miles and lastly at 6000 miles. All this in a year and a half. I drive about 11 minutes to work three to four times a week and figured that was the problem. The engine temp gets to normal in about 6-7 minutes. I broke each of these engines in more conservatively than Mazda suggested also. I bought one of the first ones out of Japan. I ordered it before they had delivered any of them. Nobody ever told me it was condensation. The oil mixed with antifreeze in the winter turns the oil into a blue tinted slush. I even told the dealer about the condensation idea but the Mazda hot line made them replace the engine every time. Beware, changing the oil and spark plugs or whatever is just biding someone some time. Good luck. I am hoping the dealer is going to buy this car back from me soon, if not I will be getting a lawyer and getting rid of it that way.

Now, in 10 degree weather, it won't start at all. I hate this car now.

No way should you have to take the oil cap off every time you drive like the next guy suggested.

I owned 2 twin turbo RX-7s and this care isn't even close to the performance of the old ones, though I knew that when I bought it. Don't bother telling us about your old RX-7s in comparison to this one, its a whole 'nother dog.

Mac in Michigan
    Heck yes! Be concerned. I have had my engine replaced three times for this problem. Check and see if your antifreeze solution is getting lower, that is the key. The key to disaster. Good luck. Mazda is going to buy this piece of crap back from me soon or they will hear from a lemon law lawyer.
  • hibellhibell Posts: 1
    I got a Mazda recall notice saying I could have a problem of my 2004 RX-8 not starting in cold weather. I took it in and had a part changed. No problems with all the snow in NY yet, but I do get the condensation in the oil that the mechanics tell me they know nothing about.

Good luck with yours. I just wrote my review. The tires are HORRIBLE in snow but driving with 200lbs of sandbags in my trunk help.
  • So I wrote in last about my rx-8 not starting in the cold weather, but here are a couple of other concerns I had about my car. Has anyone had a grinding type of feeling when braking slowly. Like when you come to a light or stop sign. I took my rx-8 back to the dealer 3 times about this and they told me they heard nothing nor did they see anything, but my rotors were torn up. This was when the car only had about 300 miles at the most on it.

Besides this problem, now when i am accelerating I hear what would be a pinging noise if the engine were a piston engine. I haven't brought it to the dealer about this, but everytime I go back to the dealer they make it seem like I am crazy and complaining about nothing. My worhtless extended warranty is really starting to piss me off. Anyone have any ideas what these noises are or if you had similar cases.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 6,071

Need some roadside assistance? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• I need to know if anyone has had the rx8 to lock out on them. Ours went into some kind of lock out mode and the quick reference guide told us to check our owners manual. Since this is a rebuilt mazda we don't have it. Can you help? Thanks, tmorrow
  • I have been pleased with the reliability of my RX8's. I am on my third. Having taken advantage of the Mazda buy back program on my first one. Traded in my second to get my wife a Mazda 6 and bought my third on a lease deal too good to pass up. The car is not driveable on snow with the summer tires. Buy a good set of snow tires and it is fine. I park my car outside and have not experienced the flooding issue even in -10 below temps. Good luck with your vehicle, what pricing did you get?
  • I have not had an opportunity to see the 2005 model of the rX8. Can anyone tell me differences between the two years?

Thanks

Also can anyone point me to the proper place to post an ad for selling a rear spoiler for the RX8
  • I live in Canada , so you have to consider the dollar . 2004 black/ toupe loaded except nav . $37500cdn out the door . i consider it a great deal. They also gave me a good trade in on my 2000 honda accord . 14000 cdn . All in all very happy with the decision.

Love to drive again!!!!!
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Posts: 1,015
    First, the key remote and key are now one, and the key shaft folds into the remote. Very nice. There is a hack to make it work on the 2004s, I'm told.

Second, you can now get a white car, but no longer the yellow.

As far as I know those are the only differences, other than the difference of one in the model year designation ;-).
  • Sirius Sat. Radio is also available for the 2005 models. The head unit has a SAT button where the AM button is on the 04's. The FM button is now AM/FM.
  • I would tell them to give me another car. I'm sure they're familiar with lemon laws. If they can't fix it, they have to give you a new one. I wouldn't put up with their BS. The car should be perfect, or they can keep it!
  • Does Mazda offer a built in Sirius Satellite radio or do you still have to use the big bulky box suction -cupped to the windshield?
  • Had the car two months and the trunk release doesn't work!!! Anybody else have this problem?? Also smelling like something burning underneath the car, possibly connected?
  • mon1mon1 Posts: 2
    I've had my '05 RX-8 for a little over of a month now, and it has been in the shop for 5 days. The auto trans won't properly shift from 3rd to 4th gear. I've had it as fast as 80mph, and it still won't shift into 4th gear. The service dept admits they believe there is a problem, however the computer diagnostics aren't showing anything. Then yesterday I received a call from the the service mgr, who had just talked to Mazda. The Mazda rep told him the car has a memory driven tranmisson, and bases the shift pattern on the driver's driving style. OKay, this is totally illogical to me. YOur driving pattern is never the same - from city to open road, etc. HELP!!!!!! Suggestions????
  • I'M A BRAND NEW OWNER OF A 2004 RX-8 AND I HAVE TO SAY I LOVE THE CAR BUT I HAVE A BIG PROBLEM AND HAVE NO SOLUTION. THE SALESMAN AND HIS MANAGER TOOK CARE OF ME I WENT IN LOOKING AT THE RX-8 I TRADED A 2001 SS CAMERO 5.7 V8 STRONG MOTOR AND BEFORE THAT I OWNED THE 2000 RAM AIR 5.6 W6 PKG BOTH BIG MOTORS WHEN BUYING THE RX-8 I NEVER BROUGHT UP GAS AT ALL THE STICKER SAID 18/24 WELL BOTH GUYS MADE THE STATEMENT THAT I WOULD BE GETTING INTO A NEWER CAR FAST SPORTY AND WOULD SAVE MONEY ON GAS. NOW I PUT 93 OCTANE IN EVERYTHING I OWN SO THAT MADE NO DIFFERENCE TO ME AT ALL. BUT I'M ON MY 10TH TANK OF GAS SINCE 1-20-05 I'M ONLY GETTING 10/14 THATS A FAR CRY FROM WHAT I WAS TOLD. THE SALESMAN CLAIM THEY HAVE NEVER HEARD OF A PROBLEM BUT THE SERVICE DEPT. SAYS ALL RX-8 OWNERS COMPLAIN. WHAT SHOULD I DO THIS IS CLEARLY FALSE ADVERTISEMENT AND EVEN TOLD THEM THAT I TRAVELED ALOT IN THE STATE OF FL?
  • I JUST BOUGHT A 2004 RX-8 6-SPEED IT ONLY HAS 10.000 MILES THE DEALER TOLD ME AFTER I MADE THE DEAL ONLY BECAUSE I HAD TO SIGN A PAPER STATING I WAS AWARE. THAT THIS CAR WAS A MAZDA BUY BACK AND THE PROBLEM WAS THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT THEY DID FIX IT I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IT WAS BUT I HAVE HEARD A LOT OF PROBLEMS WITH THAT. MY ONLY PROBLEM IS IT DRINKS A LOT OF GAS I GET 10/14 AND STICKER SAID 18/24?
  • UNLESS DAD HAS OWNED BITH HE SHOULD NOT MAKE THAT CHOICE FOR YOU. THE RX-8 RATES BETTER THAN THE 350Z AND IT HAS A LOT OF SAFETY FEATURES IT HAS 6 AIR BAGS
  • I WANT YOU TO KNOW A STUDY WAS DONE ON WHAT COLOR OF CAR GOT THE MOST SPEEDING TICKETS AND OF COURSE WE ALL SAID RED BUT ITS NOT ACCORDING TO FLORIDA HIGHWAY PATROL AND ALL POLICE DEPARTMENTS THE TICKET CAR IS WHITE. I HAVE HAD 3 RED CARS IN A ROW FOR OVER 9 YEARS 2001-SS-CAMERO 2002 RAM AIR AND NOW THE RED RX-8 NO TICKETS KNOCK ON WOOD
  • I'M SORRY BUT IM A FLORIDA GIRL TOO WHO JUST BOUGHT MY RX-8 6 SPEED 4 WEEKS AGO AND MPG IS THE WORST I HAVE EVER SEEN AND I'VE OWNED NOTHING BUT FAST RACE CARS SS-CAMERO-Z-28 CAMERO AND A RAM AIR ALL V-8'S VERY POWER FULL AND THIS CAR IS KILLING ME I'M GETTING 10/14 CITY/HWY AND STICKER SAYS 18/24 AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED THIS IS FALSE ADVERTISEMENT AND BELIEVE ME I WILL GET TO THE BOTTOM OF IT THE SALESMAN EVEN TOLD ME I WOULD GET BETTER MILEAGE THAN MY 5.7 CAMERO I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT ROTARY ENGINES EXCEPT THERE FAST AND EAT GAS.
  • I BOUGHT MY 2004 RX-8 AND IT SAYS 18/24 BUT IM ONLY GETTING 10/14 I'M NOT HAPPY AT ALL WITH IT AT ALL AND I HAVE 10.000 MILES I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT THE GAS IS THAT BAD.
  • I have been thinking about the benefits of a lease...What made you decide on a lease? If you don't mind me asking, what are the terms of your lease? I was thinking of holding out until there is a turbo-RX8, but a lease woiuld allow me to get into an RX8 now and trade up when (IF?) the turbo ever gets added. Your thoughts?

Thank you,

Joe
  • Anyone know why the auto climate control is not available in North America? It seems to be near or at the root cause of the A/C cold-cool cycling. Seems to me that if the car is made for the auto climate control, North America should have it as an option at least and preferred as a standard option to alleviate the cold-cool cycling.
This discussion has been closed.